Need Career Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Guest in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

23 months ago

Hi

I have a question for employers or anyone else who might have anything useful to contribute...

I have a Bachelors in Computer Science from another country. I worked as a software engineer (primarily in Java) for a couple of years and then I stopped working and started a family. I am in USA now and I haven't worked in 10 years. I still have a couple of years before I can start working again. My question is, is there any chance for me to get a job at an entry level as a software engineer or should I use this time to study and choose some other profession? Or are there any certifications that I can do now so I can possibly work as a software engineer again in a couple of years? Most entry level jobs require fresh graduates. So I'm wondering if my degree counts at all when it comes to getting a job or will I be better off studying something else all over again?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in New York, New York

20 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much about "entry-level" jobs only hiring fresh graduates. I would spend time keeping up-to-date on newer coding trends and patterns that are in-demand (javascript frameworks, server and client-side mvc frameworks, unit testing, etc). As long as you are realistic about getting an entry-level salary, and communicate that realistic expectation to potential employers, you have a good shot of not being overlooked. Your odds improve if you focus on smaller less well-known companies that don't have to rely as much on resume filters to sift through an abundance of applicants.

I would also suggest going to local meetups and presentations on technical things that interest you. Networking and starting to get the word out a few months before you're ready to go back to work full-time could be helpful.

All that said, if you don't love this profession, it's a great opportunity to try something else out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.