The California Certification exam for Court Interpreters

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Laura Merced in Escondido, California

75 months ago

Someone told me that because it is the most dificult to pass, some people decide to go to other states, such as Nevada or Texas, so they can pass their less difficult tests and become a court interpreter in less time.

does anyone have experience with this? Which are the states that have higher passing rates/less difficult exams?

gracias de anticipo!

Laura

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marcella Francini in Corona, New York

68 months ago

Laura Merced in Escondido, California said: Someone told me that because it is the most dificult to pass, some people decide to go to other states, such as Nevada or Texas, so they can pass their less difficult tests and become a court interpreter in less time.

does anyone have experience with this? Which are the states that have higher passing rates/less difficult exams?

gracias de anticipo!

Laura

I don't know but do you know what materials to purchase in order to prepare for the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel G. in Castro Valley, California

68 months ago

I'm seeking Spanish language legal texts to practice on for the CA court interpreter exam (oral component). Any suggestions on where (library/online websites) to find samples similar to those of the exam?

Many thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. AP in Cerritos, California

58 months ago

Im taking the oral exam for spanish court interpreting and am wondering has anyone taken the oral exam before? i know the test this year is going to be different but it is supposed to be the same in terms of difficulty. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sherris mina in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

Laura Merced in Escondido, California said: Someone told me that because it is the most dificult to pass, some people decide to go to other states, such as Nevada or Texas, so they can pass their less difficult tests and become a court interpreter in less time.

gracias de anticipo!

Laura

I took the test here in rancho cucamonga, I scored a 93% if you have a good english vocabulary you will pass, really, it wasnt that difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

futureinterpreter in Sylmar, California

56 months ago

sherris mina in Los Angeles, California said: I took the test here in rancho cucamonga, I scored a 93% if you have a good english vocabulary you will pass, really, it wasnt that difficult.

Are you writing about the oral or the written? I know the written is much easier but I had heard the oral was still difficult...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Fabriana in Tijuana, Mexico

54 months ago

Hi Laura,

The Spanish Interpreter Exam is now easier. I have opened up a class that contains all the material that comes in the written exam. Please email me if you want further information at fabrianacafalli@hotmail.com

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MCG in Glendora, California

53 months ago

Ms. AP in Cerritos, California said: Im taking the oral exam for spanish court interpreting and am wondering has anyone taken the oral exam before? i know the test this year is going to be different but it is supposed to be the same in terms of difficulty. Thanks in advance.

Hi Miss AP,
I was wondering if you were able to find out any more about the oral exam. Did any that had taken the exam get back to you with any feedback? Have you taken the oral exam yourself? I am planning on taking in this summer and would like to pair up with someone to study or possibly attend classes to refresh my vocab.
Thanks,
MCG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Xochiqueza in Blue Jay, California

52 months ago

Hello,
I have passed the written component, which was a breeze and am now registered for the oral exam on the 28th of June.
I'm very excited and have been studying everyday.
I have thought up of some of my own tecniques and purchased a practice kit offered by the consortium as a preparation for the exam. Here are some of my ideas that I think some of you will find useful:
I have a mac, so I used garageband to make audio recording for me reading excerpts from all sorts of different text including court proceedings, handouts, literature in both languages, and instructional manuals that come in both languages. I uploaded these audio files onto my ipod and listen to it and practice two modes (consecutive and simultaneous) as I'm driving to and from work and just about every where. Sometimes, I get tired of doing it, but I push myself to suck it up. Time is ticking and this is the big ticket to a better lifestyle. How bad do you want it???
I'm a high school teacher, and have two degrees in Spanish. So I already have an advantage in that sense, but I don't underestimate the importance of improving my vocab, and more importantly my technique.

Anyway, I have a few other things that I like to do. If there people who would like to chat more about it, contact me directly at everest_1985@yahoo.com.
Good luck to all of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Antonio in Chula Vista, California

52 months ago

gracias de anticipo!

Laura

Hola Laura:

Se supone que ahora el examen oral es un poco mas fácil que antes. Yo ne he tenido suerte en el anterior o el nuevo. He pasado el examen escrito estatal y federal. Te sugiero practicar en voz alta y aprenderte bien la terminología legal en ambos idiomas. En la ultima ocasión la dificultad no fue la traducción sino entender a la persona que hablaba. recuerda que en "sight" no se traduce palabra por palabra, mas bien la idea de lo que dice sin olvidar datos importantes. El examen lo califican ahora por "scoring units" es decir términos que consideran importantes en la traducción que no se deben ignorar.
practica practica practica...
Suerte!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angie90201 in Bell, California

51 months ago

Taking the Oral exam on June 30th in Los Angeles...good luck to everyone including myself! Even though they've said it's easier than in the past it's still intimidating, plus if you don't pass you have to wait another 6 months.

angie90201 in Bell, California

51 months ago

gracias de anticipo!

Laura

did you pass the test??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fcafalli in San Diego, California

51 months ago

Hi everyone,

How do you know the oral is easier too. I know the written is easier, but is the oral easier as well???

THanks, please let me know because it will depend if I take it or not this month....and deadline to pay is tomorrow, June 13..

ferro232 in Victorville, California

51 months ago

im currently taking a course and from what i heard most people failt the first time they take the oral. i been told by my professor its a rigorous test some my advice is over prepare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alekz in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Ive heard most people fail the firts time as well, including myself. Its good to get your first time out of the way though because for your next time you already know what to expect. I think the first time I got a little nervous. I would say try to have someone who knows both languages listen to your practices, then have someone who knows only target language listen to your rendition, then get feedback from both. This also helps you get used to the idea that someone is actually listening and it becomes less intimidating.
As far as the new tests being easier, I know a few people who are pretty good interpreters, some passed the new test tha hadnt passed the test before the change, some didn't so I would say its hard to say if its easier or not. According to the AOC, the difficulty is similar to that of the prior test. If I remember correctly one person told me that you know get reduced speed for the simultaneous and the segments in the consecutive are a little shorter, but I think the sight was about the same. It could be that as you take the test more times or as you practice longer it seems easier rather than actually being easier.

Anyways, good luck to those taking the test soon!

Alekz
www.certifiedcourtinterpreters.com

Lizeth in Tijuana, Mexico

50 months ago

Hi! Does any one know of interpreting agencies in San Diego? Just relocated from OC and need to start working ASAP. Gracias!!!

50 months ago

Hi, I never worked in San Diego but here's a few links that came up doing a quick search. Hope some of these work out for you. Remember to search your local yellow pages as well.

www.languagetranslation.com/

networkinterpretingservice.com/

www.alsglobal.net/

www.translationsolutions-us.com/

www.localconcept.com/page.php?pag=3&language=en&ser=9

Good Luck!
Alekz
www.certifiedcourtinterpreters.net

Victor Arceo in Van Nuys, California

50 months ago

Question...
I have been interpreting in church services every weekend and some live conferences for about 3 years. Many people think I have a gift for interpreting. I do it on stage and also in a booth into a microphone that then goes into headsets. I am not certified and usually don't even get paid for my services.I am thinking of making the jump to offering service for interpreting as a business now. What is the best way to start? I do have a full time job but really enjoy interpreting and do feel a I have talent. Can anyone give me suggestions or advice....
Thanks,
Victor Arceo
victor.h.arceo@gmail.com

49 months ago

@Victor Arceo

Well, it really depends on how much of a "jump" you are planning to make. It depends on the flexibility of your current job as far as scheduling goes as well. You have to remember that most interpreting gigs are during business hours so that's why your current job's schedule is important. If you have flexibility, you could try to offer your services for medical interpreting where you can run out for an appointment or something like that or even get a late shift at one of the telephone interpreting agencies. If you want to get a bit more serious you could try to get certified.

Seems like you might be practicing only simultaneous interpreting, so if you think about becoming certified it will probably be beneficial to go to school since you need to learn consecutive and sight as well.

Another thing you could try is asking the churches or conferences you have interpreted for if they would considering paying you for your services. They sometimes have a lot of translations that they need worked on as well.

If you have any more specific questions please let us know.

Alekz

Victor in Van Nuys, California

49 months ago

Alekz in Los Angeles, California said: @Victor Arceo

Well, it really depends on how much of a "jump" you are planning to make. It depends on the flexibility of your current job as far as scheduling goes as well. You have to remember that most interpreting gigs are during business hours so that's why your current job's schedule is important. If you have flexibility, you could try to offer your services for medical interpreting where you can run out for an appointment or something like that or even get a late shift at one of the telephone interpreting agencies. If you want to get a bit more serious you could try to get certified.

Seems like you might be practicing only simultaneous interpreting, so if you think about becoming certified it will probably be beneficial to go to school since you need to learn consecutive and sight as well.

Another thing you could try is asking the churches or conferences you have interpreted for if they would considering paying you for your services. They sometimes have a lot of translations that they need worked on as well.

If you have any more specific questions please let us know.

Alekz

Thanks!

Victor in Van Nuys, California

49 months ago

@ Alekz

Thanks Alekz, I agree that I need more experience in all areas. You can never have enough practice; but I do have a lot of experience in consecutive and simultaneous.
Many professional interpreters have heard me and they were shocked that I did not do it for a living. I have been blessed to not have an accent in either Spanish or English and have a good memory and very quick. You see after years of working on stage every week with some of the most influential ministers of our time that don't slow down and or stop until the finish their thought... I have had to develop patience, speed, memory and focus.
I have always done it for free, really donating my time to the cause. Now is when I want to transition into maybe doing it full time. I am considering school so I become more familiar with legal terminology and procedures.. Is there any you recommend? Do companies hire none certified interpreters? I really just want to come into it ASAP. BTW my job is 9-5pm not flexible..

Jenny Park in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

A friend of mine took a test to become a court certified Spanish interpreter in Texas and she says it was easier, and California court also accepts the certification. Try it.

Jenny

Jenny Park in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

Rachel G. in Castro Valley, California said: I'm seeking Spanish language legal texts to practice on for the CA court interpreter exam (oral component). Any suggestions on where (library/online websites) to find samples similar to those of the exam?

Many thanks...

Go to ACEBO.com. LA Institute of Translation and Interpretation also offers courses and texts. latranslation.com

Jenny

49 months ago

@Jennifer Park

The new test in California should be the same difficulty as the one offered in Texas if Texas is part of the Consortium.

@Victor

Sounds like all you need is the terminology and maybe a class in sight translation and you should be all set to take the test.

I went to Southern California School of Interpretation and they have a very good program. We have a list of schools on our forum that you can check out here:

certifiedcourtinterpreters.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

I would suggest you take the written test as soon as you can so that you can take the oral test that's coming up later this year. Here's a link to some infor about the written test along with some study material:

certifiedcourtinterpreters.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=33

and for the oral test:
certifiedcourtinterpreters.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=25

Most Interpreting agencies hire non-certified interpreters for medical, legal proceedings which are not on the record such as depo-preps, etc. so you could search yellow pages for interpreting agencies that are in your area and contact them and see how much work they can give you. With your work schedule though it seems you would only be able to take week-end assignments.

Once you are Certified, it will be easier for you to make the decision to switch jobs.

Good Luck!
Alekz

Jennifer in San Diego, California

43 months ago

Lizeth in Tijuana, Mexico said: Hi! Does any one know of interpreting agencies in San Diego? Just relocated from OC and need to start working ASAP. Gracias!!!

InterpretersUnlimited.com

Mary in San Gabriel, California

42 months ago

Hi, I've been a qualified interpreter for over 8 years and am looking to get certified asap. Both my spanish and english are great. I've found some study material from Acebo but the product description seems to be that the material focuses on only consecutive, simultaneous, and sight interpreting. That is great, but I need to know what the written exam consists of first. You know, first things first.
Does anyone here know whether the Acebo's interpreter's Edge 21 study package also contains material for the written exam? If it doesn't can someone at least tell me what it consists of (ie., type of vocab?)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rculley1@comcast.net in Colorado Springs, Colorado

37 months ago

sherris mina in Los Angeles, California said: I took the test here in rancho cucamonga, I scored a 93% if you have a good english vocabulary you will pass, really, it wasnt that difficult.

I need lots of feed back. Medical Interpreter for over 10 yrs. no experience with Court Interpretation. Please help

Rose

fcafalli in San Diego, California

37 months ago

The written exam is based on:
1. Legal Terms
2. Expressions
3. Vocabulary
4. Interpreter Ethics

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elite TransLingo in San Leandro, California

16 months ago

That might be true, but as far as I know, you have to be certified in the same state you are welling to work for as a court certified interpreter...

Thanks
Elite TransLingo Team,

www.elitetranslingo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.