Don't Even Bother Getting Certified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 255)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Martin in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

The truth is you don't need to. Certification is only necessary if you're going to actually work directly for or with the court system. If you plan to do any other kind of interpreting work NOBODY will ever check your cert #. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ENFORCEMENT WHATSOEVER!!!

I let my certification lapse because I was fed-up with paying the renewal fees, the continuing education expenses and all the other costs involved. I currently have more work than ever because I can now charge less and no certified interpreter can compete with me pricewise.

If you plan to work in CA just get connected to a good agency and don't worry about certifications!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

Alejandra in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

Lol. I did the same 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since, I still get tons of work and I'm saving tons of money too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Monterey Park, California

74 months ago

Martin in Los Angeles, California said: The truth is you don't need to. Certification is only necessary if you're going to actually work directly for or with the court system. If you plan to do any other kind of interpreting work NOBODY will ever check your cert #. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ENFORCEMENT WHATSOEVER!!!

I let my certification lapse because I was fed-up with paying the renewal fees, the continuing education expenses and all the other costs involved. I currently have more work than ever because I can now charge less and no certified interpreter can compete with me pricewise.

If you plan to work in CA just get connected to a good agency and don't worry about certifications!!!

I have my certificate and was told I could sign up with an agency. Is there a particular agency you can refer me to? Thanks.... I would truly appreciate your assistance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lettie reynoso in Yuma, Arizona

73 months ago

very helpful info. But I didn't find answers to the questions about how to get your foot in the door...translating w/o a cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Vera in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

translating w/o a cert is the best way to get a foot up your ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Chino Hills, California

73 months ago

Martin in Los Angeles, California said: The truth is you don't need to. Certification is only necessary if you're going to actually work directly for or with the court system. If you plan to do any other kind of interpreting work NOBODY will ever check your cert #. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ENFORCEMENT WHATSOEVER!!!

What type of interpreting do you do? How much are you paid/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Alejandra in Los Angeles, California said: Lol. I did the same 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since, I still get tons of work and I'm saving tons of money too.

What kinds of interpreting jobs do you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I just obtained my certifate from the So. California School of Interpretation and have not found anything. I called several of the agencies referred by the school and was told there isn't much work right now due to the economic crisis. I'm willing to interpret where there is a need. I enjoy helping people, especially those that do not understand english.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Unfortunately, I have yet to work as an interpreter. The agencies referred to me by the school I attended have told me there isn't much hiring going on right now. I'm willing to just get my foot in the door and begin! It is an honor when I know I have helped someone who doesn't understand english.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pandora

73 months ago

Maria in Monterey Park, California said: Unfortunately, I have yet to work as an interpreter. The agencies referred to me by the school I attended have told me there isn't much hiring going on right now. I'm willing to just get my foot in the door and begin! It is an honor when I know I have helped someone who doesn't understand english.

why don't u apply in orange county..they are hiring....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

pandora

73 months ago

Maria in Monterey Park, California said: I just obtained my certifate from the So. California School of Interpretation and have not found anything. I called several of the agencies referred by the school and was told there isn't much work right now due to the economic crisis. I'm willing to interpret where there is a need. I enjoy helping people, especially those that do not understasorry,

i musunderstood..u r not certified until you take the state exam.certification from the southern school of interpretation is not enough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvia in Hayward, California

73 months ago

pandora said: r u working without a certification? that is illegal..would you like to be seen by a doctor who didn't go to medical school?

I have certification through the company that I work for. And no you do not need to be certified in California. It all depends on who you work for. I recently had a job where I proofread documents and the judge also acknowledged that it would depend on the type of work and the experience that one has.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvia Gonzalez in San Jose, California

73 months ago

And obviously this will be the last time that I will be posting to this forum. With people such as yourself that feels that you have a right to judge and insult others that are here.
Also to let you know I have been speaking Spanish since I was young. My mother is also a native Spanish language speaker. Unlike others that feel if they go to school and learn a language that they are so much better than those that are raised with the language in their homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

pandora

73 months ago

i m not insulting you...but u need to understand that interpreting is a PROFESSION AND U NEED TO BE CERTIFIED... LIKE IN ANY OTHER PROFESSION...BEING BILINGUAL DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO INTERPRET...IF U WANT TO TAKE THE EXAM.. I M WILLING TO GIVE YOU TIPS..SORRY...DIDN'T MEAN TO BE RUDE..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Espinosa in Nashville, Tennessee

72 months ago

pandora said: i m not insulting you...but u need to understand that interpreting is a PROFESSION AND U NEED TO BE CERTIFIED... LIKE IN ANY OTHER PROFESSION...BEING BILINGUAL DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO INTERPRET...IF U WANT TO TAKE THE EXAM.. I M WILLING TO GIVE YOU TIPS..SORRY...DIDN'T MEAN TO BE RUDE..

If you could supply some tips I would be grateful.

Sinceramente,

Collette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pandora

72 months ago

collette:
where were you born? is spanish your native language? how old are you? what do you do for a living right now? what Pancho was trying to tell you is that it requires more than "tips" to become an interpreter..that's why I asked you those personal questions...it is a long process to become an interpreter and pass the tests...it takes many many years not only of studying the language but also of life experiences...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Amen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Burbank, California

72 months ago

Preparation for interpreting or acquiring skills is best assessed on a case by case basis. The best way to figure out what you need to do to prepare for certification is take the sample tests and judge what areas you need to become more acquainted with. I have spoken to several "certified interpreters" and they can either barely speak the language they are interpreting or English. Yet, they are certified and work for agencies. I'm a native speaker, I have a BA in Spanish, and was a college TA for 100 level courses... I am also a published Spanish language author, but somehow I wouldn't be as qualified as someone who took some courses in interpreting? Or perhaps someone who is older? Specifics can be learned, such as medical terms or legal terms.

I think it's best to encourage people to become more educated about the process and to find out where they are individually. Also to think about the type of interpreting they want to get into and what kind of field specific terms may be needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mii in Maitland, Florida

72 months ago

Anyone knows a company named Cyracom. It provides medical interpretation service. Does anyone know the process to apply for the job and how much do they pay etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mlp1220 in Carolina, Puerto Rico

72 months ago

Does anyone work from home or know of home jobs for interpreters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VERONICA in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Maria in Monterey Park, California said: Unfortunately, I have yet to work as an interpreter. The agencies referred to me by the school I attended have told me there isn't much hiring going on right now. I'm willing to just get my foot in the door and begin! It is an honor when I know I have helped someone who doesn't understand english.

HI MARIA!! I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. THE DERTIFICATE THAT YOU HAVE.....IS A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FRON SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SCHOOL OF INTERPRETATION OR IS IT A STATE CERTIFICATION? THE REASON WHY I ASK IS BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING WITH STOPS FOR 4 YEARS AS A MEDICAL INTERPRETER AND THEY JUST STOPPED GIVING ME INTERPRETATIONS BECAUSE I AM NOT STATE CERTIFIED. BELIVE ME THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO ME BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH CLIENTS, CASE MANAGERS AND PATIENS REQUEST MY SERVICES THEY DO NOT GIVE THEM TO ME ANYMORE BECAUSE OF CERTIFICATION. THEY HAVE VERY GOOD RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT ME AND I HAVE NEVER CAUSED ANY PROBLEMS TO THE COMPANY OR ANYONE ELSE BUT SINCE THEY ARE IN FLORIDA THEY BELIEVE MEDICAL INTERPRETERS NEED TO BE CERTIFIED. I MEAN OF COURSE THERE ARE CERTAIN MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS THAT ONLY CAN BE INTERPRETED BY A CERTIFIED INTERPRETER BUT FOR REGULAR FOLLOW UPS YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE CERTIFIED. OF COURSE YOU NEED TO BE EXPERIENCE AND HAVE HAD ATTENDED INTERPRETATION COURSES.I AM NOT SAYING STOPS IS A BAD COMPANY. THEY ARE GOOD AND PAY WELL BUT NOW YOU NEED TO BE CERTIFIED IN ORDER TO WORK WITH THEM. IF YOU ARE A STATE CERTIFIED INTERPRETER GO FOR IT AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Alejandra in Los Angeles, California said: Lol. I did the same 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since, I still get tons of work and I'm saving tons of money too.

HI ALEJANDRA! I AM A MEDICAL INTERPRETER AND I HAVE BEEN INTERPRETING FOR 4 YEARS IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. UNFORTUNATELY THE COMPANY THAT I WORK FOR IS HIRING ONLY STATE CERTIFIED INTERPRETERS NOW AND SINCE I ONLY WORKED FOR THEM I DO NOT HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER INTERPRETING AGENCIE. IF YOU KNOW OF ONE THAT I COULD CONTACT TO APPLY AS A FREELANCER I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU SHARTED THAT INFO WITH ME. YHANK YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pelusa

72 months ago

VERONICA in Los Angeles, California said: HI ALEJANDRA! I AM A MEDICAL INTERPRETER AND I HAVE BEEN INTERPRETING FOR 4 YEARS IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. UNFORTUNATELY THE COMPANY THAT I WORK FOR IS HIRING ONLY STATE CERTIFIED INTERPRETERS NOW AND SINCE I ONLY WORKED FOR THEM I DO NOT HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER INTERPRETING AGENCIE. IF YOU KNOW OF ONE THAT I COULD CONTACT TO APPLY AS A FREELANCER I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU SHARTED THAT INFO WITH ME. YHANK YOU.

Sharted? Yhank you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ana laura in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

what im wondering, is why would someone with a state certification become a medical interpreter when it allows them to do court interpreting and get paid WAYY more money (65 thou, starting) than with medical interpreting (25-45 thou on average)......

im still straddling both possibilities. i think i would enjoy medical interpreting somewhat more. but the pay difference is too large.....

thanks whoever can comment on this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heidi in Ponce, Puerto Rico

69 months ago

Do you know of a comp. called language line services?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heidi in Ponce, Puerto Rico

69 months ago

ana laura in Los Angeles, California said: what im wondering, is why would someone with a state certification become a medical interpreter when it allows them to do court interpreting and get paid WAYY more money (65 thou, starting) than with medical interpreting (25-45 thou on average)......

im still straddling both possibilities. i think i would enjoy medical interpreting somewhat more. but the pay difference is too large.....

thanks whoever can comment on this!

Have you heard of a comp. called language line services?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

interpreter100 in Hacienda Heights, California

67 months ago

Maria why are you not working in the courts? I heard that is where the money is.Take the state test and get certified. I plan on doing that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

WOW!!!!!! QUE LENGUAJE TAN FLORIDO!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marcela in Redondo Beach, California

66 months ago

Hi! i read your comments, you are mentioning that you have tons of work. i'm looking for a job as an interpreter.could you help me get conected to some agencies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ally in San Francisco, California

66 months ago

pandora said: i m not insulting you...but u need to understand that interpreting is a PROFESSION AND U NEED TO BE CERTIFIED... LIKE IN ANY OTHER PROFESSION...BEING BILINGUAL DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO INTERPRET...IF U WANT TO TAKE THE EXAM.. I M WILLING TO GIVE YOU TIPS..SORRY...DIDN'T MEAN TO BE RUDE..

hay there, i just logged in this chat forum. I am planning on taking the CA interpreter's exam to get certified to work in the courts. I am looking to chat w/ someone in the field, I am self-teaching my self, i am bilingual but I do agree w/ your comment that that isn't enough..i speak fluently however I know that taking it to the next level is another story..if you don't mind sharing tips that would be great..hope to hear from you soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ada in South Pasadena, California

66 months ago

I have taken the state certification test three times and failed. It is NOT an easy test. Did I prepare myself? Yes, a LOT. I took a two year interp. course at CSUN, my first language is Spanish, I have a BA in Spanish Lit. and still had to practice like hell, and yet I did not pass. People, wake up!! It is a skill. If you only have conversational or general knowledge of Spanish or English, FORGET IT. It is not only learning legal terminology, but being able to interpret what's being said accurately and speedily. Judges talk a mile a minute because it is all routine, attorneys use convoluted sentences to say one little thing, defendants sometimes use a very low register vocabulary and the interpreter is supposed to interpret what EVERYONE says. If you want to do it, PRACTICE AND STUDY REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD. That's my tip for the day. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ally in San Francisco, California said: hay there, i just logged in this chat forum. I am planning on taking the CA interpreter's exam to get certified to work in the courts. I am looking to chat w/ someone in the field, I am self-teaching my self, i am bilingual but I do agree w/ your comment that that isn't enough..i speak fluently however I know that taking it to the next level is another story..if you don't mind sharing tips that would be great..hope to hear from you soon

I have taken the state certification test three times and failed. It is NOT an easy test. Did I prepare myself? Yes, a LOT. I took a two year interp. course at CSUN, my first language is Spanish, I have a BA in Spanish Lit. and still had to practice like hell, and yet I did not pass. People, wake up!! It is a skill. If you only have conversational or general knowledge of Spanish or English, FORGET IT. It is not only learning legal terminology, but being able to interpret what's being said accurately and speedily. Judges talk a mile a minute because it is all routine, attorneys use convoluted sentences to say one little thing, defendants sometimes use a very low register vocabulary and the interpreter is supposed to interpret what EVERYONE says. If you want to do it, PRACTICE AND STUDY REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD. That's my tip for the day. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CGar in Tracy, California

66 months ago

I would like to know the mane of some agencies that would be willing to hire without certification.. The comment is helpful but more info is needed. thanks!

Ok Thanks for that piece of info.. I myself have done this in more private manner in the past 10 years. How ever the name or number/websites for some of these agencies would be so helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oscar in Fresno, California

66 months ago

ada in South Pasadena, California said: I have taken the state certification test three times and failed. It is NOT an easy test. Did I prepare myself? Yes, a LOT. I took a two year interp. course at CSUN, my first language is Spanish, I have a BA in Spanish Lit. and still had to practice like hell, and yet I did not pass. People, wake up!! It is a skill. If you only have conversational or general knowledge of Spanish or English, FORGET IT. It is not only learning legal terminology, but being able to interpret what's being said accurately and speedily. Judges talk a mile a minute because it is all routine, attorneys use convoluted sentences to say one little thing, defendants sometimes use a very low register vocabulary and the interpreter is supposed to interpret what EVERYONE says. If you want to do it, PRACTICE AND STUDY REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD. That's my tip for the day. Thanks.

I am seeing changes in the interpreter market as in everything else. The days of anybody walking in because they can speak a second language alone is coming to an end at some point. Those interpreters who don't wake up and get some credentials and certifications are going to fall behind. There are other jobs that people once trained on the job and if you can get in that way great but be prepared to meet a higher standard at some point. There are better markets than others but for those who are trying to get into the field, a course at a local j.c. or hosptial should be where you start. Don't listen to those that talk about how education and certifications are worthless, they obviously aren't in the job market right now because the competition is getting stronger every year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

ana in Redondo Beach, California

65 months ago

CGar in Tracy, California said: Ok Thanks for that piece of info.. I myself have done this in more private manner in the past 10 years. How ever the name or number/websites for some of these agencies would be so helpful.

I let my certification lapse also. Big mistake! Do you have the name of a good agency that i could contact. i have not free lanced for such a long time that do not know which are good and pay on time. Thanks, ANa

65 months ago

interpreter100 in Hacienda Heights, California said: Maria why are you not working in the courts? I heard that is where the money is.Take the state test and get certified. I plan on doing that.

It is NOT TRUE that the money is in the courts. Working for the courts you have an earning ceiling, once you reach a certain salary, that's it, plus you must be on site at the court whether there is work or not. Working independently you can charge more and work considerably less hours, your schedule is more flexible and there is less stress. Working for the criminal court system you earn maybe $260 - $280 per day (I don't remember the exact figure), working independently you can make that in half a day, if you work the full day, you can charge as much as $500. I did the research. While the court job may offer somewhat more security (although not so secure now with California's budget troubles) if what you want is real money and flexibility, take another route.

Chris in Moreno Valley, California

65 months ago

I am considering a degree in ASL. Is there a benefit to having a degree vs. certification? Has the job market been affected by the economy? Having been downsized, I am afraid of pursuing a degree in a saturated field. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ada in south pasadena

65 months ago

future interpreter in Sylmar, California said: Ada, you sound like you speak from experience.. Do you freelance? if so with which company? You also mentioned above that you took the exam 3 times. Was that the written or the oral? How long ago/

Hi future interpreter
I freelance but mostly now I do translations not interpretations. I have been preparing for my oral exam to become certified but I am not planning to work for the superior court, eww. The certification opens doors for you plus you do feel more confident and prepared professionally if you get certified. I did very well in the written exam, 95% score, and I speak English and Spanish very well, the problem is the actual verbal interpretation when the terminology is so technical and the speakers talk fast and using jargon (i.e. police officers, attorneys, experts and judges, well, just about everybody in the legal system!). My downfall was that I could not to keep up with the speed of the speakers during simultaneous translations as they rattle case numbers and penal code sections and you better get those right. In the consecutive translation my main problem has been failing to repeat EXACTLY what has been said in the order it was said. You can't summarize or transpose! I took my last exam a year ago because after that CA did not schedule any more tests due to the budget crunch. The exams reopened again and I will be taking it once more in August. I researched all the info regarding payment and hours from agencies and my own teachers at interpreting school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

future interpreter in Sylmar, California

65 months ago

Ada, thank you for responding. I'll be taking the oral exam tomorrow, and you've given me a realistic idea of what to expect.
Everyone else just tells me to relax. I'm better at simultaneous than at consecutive. The encouragement I've received from my instructors and peers, and passing the written have given me confidence, but now... I must admit, it's hard to relax and be positive. I'd like to find work asap, if you can point me in the direction of agencies that are looking to hire, I'd appreciate it.
I like you, also studied at CSUN. Thanks again, and best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

future interpreter in Sylmar, California said: Ada, thank you for responding. I'll be taking the oral exam tomorrow, and you've given me a realistic idea of what to expect.
Everyone else just tells me to relax. I'm better at simultaneous than at consecutive. The encouragement I've received from my instructors and peers, and passing the written have given me confidence, but now... I must admit, it's hard to relax and be positive. I'd like to find work asap, if you can point me in the direction of agencies that are looking to hire, I'd appreciate it.
I like you, also studied at CSUN. Thanks again, and best of luck to you.

OMG GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOMORROW!!! I'm taking it on Wednesday!! Also remember that you have to do sight translations, back and forth (S-E, E-S), so remember your active voice and transposing the dates correctly from one language to the other (they trick you like that). Again, good luck. I don't have an agency, I opened my own company. Ha ha ha. (True).

65 months ago

Ada, tell me .. how did it go? I will most probably have to take it again in November. Now I know what to expect. Hope you nailed it.

65 months ago

Hi there! How did it go for you? I did way better in the simultaneous this time and the sight reading, but that's my opinion, ha ha ha. All in all I think I did okay, but not EXCELLENT. JUST in case, I'm going to continue with my CDs and my flash cards. Don't stop practicing just because the test is over. Good luck. If we both flunk maybe we can get together and practice, it's so boring to study alone. How do you feel about the test itself? Was it as I described it to you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo Van Nuys in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Hi Ada,

I just saw this blog and noticed your conversation with future interpreter. I am very interested on working from home like you, and I am thinking about taking the classes needed for the state exam. I checked the CSUN and the Southern School of Interpretation programs. Do you have any tips? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Hi Ada,
I'm glad you feel good about your performance. I feel proud of my
attempt as well. I know it wasn't perfect, but I did my very best.
The simultaneous was a good pace but I expected at least a natural pause. My downfall was the Span to Eng sight. I imagine that was wasy for you. I will also take it in November. Getting together to study sounds great! Let's figure out a centralized location and schedule a study time.

65 months ago

Oops! didn't answer your question did I?
The exam was challenging but very similar to what we study in class. How long was your exam? Myh exam took over an hour?

65 months ago

I went to CSUN and got my certificate from them, but I heard that the other school is very good. The best tip I can give as an old exam taker (ha ha ha) is to keep practicing with flash cards (for those pesky sight readings and simultaneous) and working on your memorization techniques (for consec), because they don't want you to miss anything, not even a "thank you, Your Honor." What helped me the most was recording myself as I interpret my old ACEBO CD's, I caught myself mumbling, missing stuff, sometimes thinking too long, etc. (for example when they ask the witness, "do you remember the height, complexion, color and length of hair, any distinguishing marks or tattoos of the defendant?" you must say it exactly like that. Listening to your taped self you are able to set a pace and a pitch that is both professional and agreeable to the ear (ha ha ha) AND catch if you missed anything. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

future interpreter in Sylmar, California said: Oops! didn't answer your question did I?
The exam was challenging but very similar to what we study in class. How long was your exam? Myh exam took over an hour?

Mine was about one hour,no more, I wanted to get it over with!The consecutive took forever (or so it seemed to me ha ha ha).

anna in Lawndale, California

65 months ago

I went both to UCLA and the Southern School for Interpretation. By far, the SS gives you the better training. If it is still being run by Nestor it should be as good if not better than before. My suggestion to you about taking and passing the State or Federal Exam is to form a study group, if possible or at least find yourself a partner. Being able to note take is a must, especially for the Consecutive portion, so you have to invent a short hand method that you can read afterward. At the beginning I found myself not being able to read my own. For me, consecutive was and is a challange, simultanious not much of a problem and sight you just have to pracitce doing it. They tend to give standard documents to translate, eg. birth certificates and the like. For Simultanious you can practice with the TV, Consecutive, you have to do it with some one else or if that is not possible record yourself passages so that you can interpret them. hope this helps. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Anna, thank you for your suggestions. I must find myself a study partner, and refine my skills. I also need to work on making my voice sound less "rushed". practice , practice ,practice right?
Thank you
Right now I'm also frustrated; I know of a few interpreters that have managed to score a job without certification. Meanwhile I send resumes and haven't heard anything but " Are you certified?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pete in San Diego, California

64 months ago

For anyone trying to get certified in CA for Spanish: Forget it. The union has a chokehold on exams, which is why nobody passes. There are about 1000 certified terps in CA for Sp. They passed the test in 1980. The newer terps who got through are very good, but they tend to come in lots of one or two, for the whole state. Older terps are lucky if they can order a taco.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.