Interpreting Information

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

peleroja in Newport News, Virginia

56 months ago

Hola a todos,

I am a Spanish teacher who is interested in switching over to interpreting/translating and would like info on how to enter the field. Have taught Spanish at all levels (beginner through AP) for over 15 years and have occasionally done freelance/volunteer sim translation and enjoyed it. Am on the east coast in VA (DC is closest area that I could realistically find a job in for interpreting) and need info about how to become certified, how to break into the field, and any really good programs that aren't super expensive or long to consider enrolling in. What are typical salaries/working conditions like once fully certified? I have both a BA and MA in Spanish already and willing to consider either medical or legal translation. I have read the forum and seen the information from several people about classes/programs out in CA, but need info about ones on the east coast if possible as well. All advice and suggestions are welcome. Gracias por las respuestas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pepe in Lincolnwood, Illinois

56 months ago

Telphonic interpreting pays $12 an hours AT MOST.

Giari in La Puente, California

54 months ago

Pepe in Lincolnwood, Illinois said: Telphonic interpreting pays $12 an hours AT MOST.

.30 cents per minute = $18.00 per hour!

ROSE

50 months ago

You don't need to be certified at all. some foreign language academies WILL hire you directly and pay 26.00 to 28.00. in W. DC
OR JUST GO TO THE HOSPITALS WEB SITE AND JOBS UNDER SOCIAL WORK CAN HAVE FOR INTERPRETERS.OR SIMPLY GOOGLE THE SPANISH INTERPRETER JOBS IN ... YOUR STATE.YOU WILL BE SURPRISE HOW MUCH IS THERE .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.