School

Comments (4)

Kristen in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

I am just starting college, and I am interested in being a spanish-english interpreter, but I am clueless on what classes and what degrees I will need, also, how many years I will have to go to school to be one??

Bo Luda in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Clueless indeed. Becoming an interpreter is NOT about sitting your butt in a classroom for X amount of time then cashing in on a diploma. It's a lifelong learning process wherein you're exposed to two or more languages and eventually master them. You could be the best interpreter in the world and NEVER have stepped into a classroom. You know, like your president who never stepped into a classroom, except in his case he never learned anything anyway.

Justmoved

65 months ago

Kristen in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am just starting college, and I am interested in being a spanish-english interpreter, but I am clueless on what classes and what degrees I will need, also, how many years I will have to go to school to be one??

You should try colleges that have actual interpreting/translating certificate programs. You also need to make sure you have the language skills necessary. Therefore, a major in the language you want to interpret for will help.

However, I have met interpreters with Masters in Spanish who aren't worth crap as interpreters! So, it really depends on your own skills.

Marcella Francini in Elmhurst, New York

65 months ago

Research the Souther California School in Interpretation. They give online courses and thier prices are reasonable.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.