Jobs and salary for SLPAs in Colorado??

Comments (3)

Sheri in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

I am a Community college Sophomore currently (living in TX), and planning on moving to Colorado to finish my undergrad, hoping to get my Bachelor's in Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences. Most likely from the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, because the tuition is affordable, they have scholarships for out of state transfer students, the school is small, and the town is very CHEAP to live in.

I DO plan on pursuing my Master's degree (most likely also at UNCO), but I am also interested in UNCO's SLP Assistant certificate program (that is offered along with the BS).. so that I can hopefully work a little before going forward to grad school. I know I will have loan debt incurred by that point and I'd like to pay them off (well at least somewhat) before incurring even more debt as a grad student. I am an older, non-traditional student (38) with children, so I can't really see being a full time student non-stop for the next five years with no real income to speak of. I am the type of person that cannot "handle" school full time with working full time, so I am limited in my working hours while in school. It's just a personal limitation that I recognize; I have to REALLY focus on school (but it's been worth it, as I've been making the Dean's list and have had a 4.0 the past 2 semesters, and when I tried to work more than 30 hours a week my grades suffered a lot)...

So, having said all that (sorry, I like to ramble), will I be able to work as an SLPA in Colorado? I don't see many job postings for SLPAs at all there and I cannot find any salary info either. What I see here on indeed.com looks more like SLP pay, I don't think it is correct. Are SLPAs allowed to work in CO with just a Bachelor's? Are the jobs scarce?

Thanks!

ColoSLPA in Littleton, Colorado

64 months ago

Yes you are able to work as an SLPA in Colorado with just a Bachelor's. Your program director may be able to help assist you in finding available positions, or at least point you in the right direction as to where to look, after you graduate (at least that's what they did for me-after I asked). I've been working in an elementary school as an SLPA for the last 2 years and absolutely love it! I also plan on continuing on to grad school, but wanted the experience to increase my chances of getting in as the master's programs are very competitive. Job opportunities here in the schools might be a little harder to find now however with the finacial conditions of the schools here, but it's a great field to get into and as an SLPA you will get so much experience you won't find in your classes. Hope this helps. Good luck!

SLPACO in Castle Rock, Colorado

64 months ago

Hello, I was reading that you are currently in the school systems as an SLPA in Colorado. I just recently graduated with my bachelor's and then moved out here, and I was wondering if you have any ideas of other openings or advice on how to find an SLPA school position. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.