How do you become a Speech and Language Pathologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Katia in Miami, FL in Senoia, Georgia

71 months ago

Theresa in San Antonio, Texas said: I live in SanAntonio area and I am interested in becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist, I have a B.A. in Sociology and a teaching certification in Special Education EC-12th grade and a general certificate in EC-4th grade. What would be my first move?? I am having trouble finding programs online, also does any schools or organizations offer grants or fellowships to get my SLP??? I know there is an extremely high need for them?? Thanks everyone.

You need to apply to a speech language graduate school. Whatever graduate school you decide to apply to make sure to review the pre-requiste you will need to get done. Review this website, it will answer all your questions. www.asha.org

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

darn. so it's really difficult to find SLP programs online? how come my manager is able to get her PTA degree mostly through an online program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Christina Davila in Milyang, Korea, Republic of

58 months ago

I am also thinking about doing an SLP program online. Here are a couple of online post-baccalaureate programs.

La Salle University: www.lasalle.edu/schools/snhs/pre_slp/index.php?page=program_req

Utah State University: distance.usu.edu/htm/degrees&_d=39

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Jonesboro, Georgia

55 months ago

I just checked the www.asha.org website. You can click the link that says "careers". Then, look for "Academic Programs" option on the page. From there, follow the search engine instructions. I found about 10-11 schools that offer distance education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Jonesboro, Georgia

55 months ago

ToddLPN in Jonesboro, Georgia said: I just checked the www.asha.org website. You can click the link that says "careers". Then, look for "Academic Programs" option on the page. From there, follow the search engine instructions. I found about 10-11 schools that offer distance education.

Also, the one I was looking into was Florida State University which I am sure is credit worthy, but you still do your clinicals and the respective sites. You also have to be residing in Florida. It is an option for their master's progam and part time is available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christina Davila in Songam, Korea, Republic of

54 months ago

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia said: Yes, and Florida State offers distance ed. with the prereqs. You don't have to be residing in Florida to take those. You do, however, have to reside in Florida for the masters. You can have a BS/BA in anything as long as you take the prereqs. Then, if you continue to pursue the masters, you would need to reside in florida. From what I understand, this is because of the clinical internships.

Are you trying to say that you have to get the B.S./B.A. or take the perquisites class for speech pathology in the same state you want to do your Masters in? If this is what you are trying to get at, I'm sorry but that is simply untrue. You can in fact take the perquisites courses in another state, either online or in person, and take the Masters in a different state. There are distance M.A.s in Speech Pathology, you can be from another state, but usually you have to set up your own clinical internships in your own area or take the clinical interniships on site. Please go to www.asha.org/ and check out the different options avaliable at various schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia

54 months ago

Christina Davila in Songam, Korea, Republic of said: Are you trying to say that you have to get the B.S./B.A. or take the perquisites class for speech pathology in the same state you want to do your Masters in? If this is what you are trying to get at, I'm sorry but that is simply untrue. You can in fact take the perquisites courses in another state, either online or in person, and take the Masters in a different state. There are distance M.A.s in Speech Pathology, you can be from another state, but usually you have to set up your own clinical internships in your own area or take the clinical interniships on site. Please go to www.asha.org/ and check out the different options avaliable at various schools.

No..that is not what I said at all. I was speaking for Florida State only. Notice I said you don't have to be residing in Florida. As far as the actual Master's training, yes you do have to reside there for this particular school. I understand what you are saying about the other master's programs. The asha site is helpful thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania in Pompano Beach, Florida

46 months ago

Hello, I have a question, I am currently working on getting my bachelor's degree in special education. eventually I want to become a speech and language pathologist. Will this bachelors in education work?? Or do I have to have a specific bachelors degree in something, before applying to a master school to do the speech and language program?? When I went to see my adviser, he told me that a bachelors in education/special education will work when applying to a master school.. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!! I am very confused!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania Pascarella in Pompano Beach, Florida

46 months ago

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona said: A background in special education is a good idea, especially if you want to be a school-based SLP, but applying without a degree in Speech-Language and Hearing Sciences (also called Communication Sciences and Disorders depending on the school) will mean either an extra year in graduate school or a year spent as a non-degree seeking student taking prerequisite courses. To obtain licensure, ASHA (the professional governing body of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists) mandates that you take a certain number of credit hours in certain areas and those courses won't be offered through special ed. Those courses also serve as the foundation of graduate work and if you haven't taken them, you will not be prepared for the classes at the graduate level. One way around that would be to take the classes as an undergraduate anyway, but in that case you might as well major in speech and hearing. Could you do a double major?

Hello, thank you so much for the feedback. At this point I am very confused, I was doing special ed. because my adviser told me that would be a great idea. But the courses are not that flexible and there is a lot of state exams I have to take and if I don't pass them, I cannot take any more classes until I pass them!! I just thought to myself why am I going through all this, if this this is not what I wanted to do in the first place. I decided to go talk to my adviser and he told me that I could go into a broader bachelor's degree and he pointed out some choices to me. Some of those choices are bachelor's of arts degree with a major in interdisciplinary studies: social science and there were others. He said that I would be done faster than getting a bachelor's in special ed. Would the major in interdisciplinary studies help?? would that be a better choice?? My goal right now is to try to get my bachelor's as soon as I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona

46 months ago

The problem is that, much like special ed, the Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences (or Communication Sciences and Disorders) degree is a very specific program. You don't pick from a choice of electives, you take the classes that are required. So in terms of preparing you for grad school, a more general major will get you your bachelor's degree faster but won't help the grad school admissions process either more or less than the special ed major. In terms of avoiding exams, it's a good idea to go general, but honestly a special ed background will help you out a lot once you're through grad school and out working if you choose to work in a school setting. Just know that if you graduate without the S-L-H degree you'll spend 1-2 extra years before you are finished with graduate school. I'm guessing that degree isn't offered at your school. If you are absolutely certain Speech Pathology is your chosen career field, would you be willing/able to transfer schools to somewhere that did offer that degree, either in person or online? If that isn't an option, consider something like Psychology or Linguistics. They would probably have the most crossover benefit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania in Pompano Beach, Florida

46 months ago

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona said: The problem is that, much like special ed, the Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences (or Communication Sciences and Disorders) degree is a very specific program. You don't pick from a choice of electives, you take the classes that are required. So in terms of preparing you for grad school, a more general major will get you your bachelor's degree faster but won't help the grad school admissions process either more or less than the special ed major. In terms of avoiding exams, it's a good idea to go general, but honestly a special ed background will help you out a lot once you're through grad school and out working if you choose to work in a school setting. Just know that if you graduate without the S-L-H degree you'll spend 1-2 extra years before you are finished with graduate school. I'm guessing that degree isn't offered at your school. If you are absolutely certain Speech Pathology is your chosen career field, would you be willing/able to transfer schools to somewhere that did offer that degree, either in person or online? If that isn't an option, consider something like Psychology or Linguistics. They would probably have the most crossover benefit.

Hello, thank you again for responding! I actually spend almost all day researching and you are absolutely right. the best bet is to get my bachelors in communication disorders that will prepare me for grad school. My problem is that my school "Florida Atlantic University" doesn't offer it. Also my husband is in the military and he is currently stationed in Germany and I am planning to move there pretty soon. Someone told me that I can do my education online while he is in Germany, you know like a university in the U.S. but online. A lot of military spouses do that. Do you know of any University that offers this degree online??? Also what do they mean by getting a degree in a related field?? does that mean like psychology and linguistics?? thank you so much!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona

46 months ago

Since you are moving soon, I absolutely agree that you should do an online degree from a US university that has the communication disorders degree as an option. Don't pay for a degree that won't move you towards where you want to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stefania in Pompano Beach, Florida

46 months ago

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona said: Since you are moving soon, I absolutely agree that you should do an online degree from a US university that has the communication disorders degree as an option. Don't pay for a degree that won't move you towards where you want to go.

They actually don't even have the communication disorders degree online. Ashford University doesn't even have it, I though they did. I actually think that I am going to do my bachelors on psychology since they have that program online and that is my only choice at this point. I got like 10 -12 more classes to go and I will be done, and I will avoid all those state exams that I would have to take if I keep going for special ed. I guess I am spending a year or so taking pre-requisites course before I even try to apply to a grad school. So I am just going to take it one step at a time. Thank you for help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaitlyn in Mesquite, Texas

45 months ago

I am interested in becoming a speech pathogist but i have some questions. I want to get a bacholers degree, and then possibly continue education.However, I read that you can only become a certified Speech Pathologist if you have a masters. So what would my best thing to do be. And also what road should i take in the bacholers programs. And what can i do with a bacholers in speech Pathology?? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

l2horn in Wayland, Michigan

44 months ago

Kaitlyn in Mesquite, Texas said: I am interested in becoming a speech pathogist but i have some questions. I want to get a bacholers degree, and then possibly continue education.However, I read that you can only become a certified Speech Pathologist if you have a masters. So what would my best thing to do be. And also what road should i take in the bacholers programs. And what can i do with a bacholers in speech Pathology?? thanks

If you are interested in becoming a speech pathologist the opportunities are endless as to what you can do with your degree. You can work in a school, a hospital, home-health care, assistive living facilities, private practice, etc. You do need your masters degree to work as a certified speech pathologist, in the past there may have been more opportunity to work as a SLPA (basically a speech therapist assistance)with just your bachelors, but as far as I know that is not really an option anymore (so a bachelors in speech therapy is essentially useless). So if you have not yet begun your bachelors degree yet, the best option would be to start out at a school that offers a "speech pathology" or "communication sciences" degree. This will put you on the correct path for entering grad school with all the neccesary prerequisite classes. If that is not an option for you, then a degree in education Keep in mind that a degree in education is somewhat more rigerous (as it requires passing quite a few state exams, and completing a student teaching experience)., psychology or linguistics is often a good choice, however you will have to take approximately a years worth of prerequisite classes before you begin your actual masters degree if you go that route. Becoming a speech therapist is a lot of hard work, however the demand in the field is huge, and it can be a very rewarding job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey10 in Scottsdale, Arizona

44 months ago

Do most Speech Pathologists move up to become Audiologists? Does anyone know if that would be a good idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Hollywood, Florida

44 months ago

Stefania in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hello, I have a question, I am currently working on getting my bachelor's degree in special education. eventually I want to become a speech and language pathologist. Will this bachelors in education work?? Or do I have to have a specific bachelors degree in something, before applying to a master school to do the speech and language program?? When I went to see my adviser, he told me that a bachelors in education/special education will work when applying to a master school.. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!! I am very confused!!!!

I also go to FAU. Check University of South Florida website. They offer online pre reqs class fully online. Nova also have their Masters program fully online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Becoming an audiologist is not "moving up" form being an SLP. They are different professions, with training that diverges after undergrad work. The reason you made such an assumption is because audiologists are now required to be "Doctors" of Audiology. This wasn't the case traditionally, and was only recently made a requirement a few years ago. As a matter of fact, its not an official requirement until this year.

Whether or not "its a good idea" depends on you. Id check the federal job statistics website to get a feel for the size and projected growth of both professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey10 in Phoenix

44 months ago

C in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Becoming an audiologist is not "moving up" form being an SLP. They are different professions, with training that diverges after undergrad work. The reason you made such an assumption is because audiologists are now required to be "Doctors" of Audiology. This wasn't the case traditionally, and was only recently made a requirement a few years ago. As a matter of fact, its not an official requirement until this year.

Whether or not "its a good idea" depends on you. Id check the federal job statistics website to get a feel for the size and projected growth of both professions.

Thanks for your answer. I was just wondering if SLP's eventually go back to school to become Audiologists. The only thing I've heard about the Audiology career is that there will be a few openings in the future. It's kind of scary to go through 8 years of schooling and there's a limited amount of jobs available. I'm now considering becoming a Medical Technologist. I know it's completely different than SLP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dhaj in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

I am currently majoring in sociology but I want to go into speech language pathology would I be able to do that with a sociology degree? Also I was told that if i minor in communications that would be a good idea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania Pascarella in Pompano Beach, Florida

43 months ago

I am very confused with choosing an online university to finish my bachelor's degree. I want to become a speech and language pathologist and I am aware that a master's program is needed for this career. I am in the middle of moving to Germany as my husband is in the military. I am looking for an online university that I can finish a bachelor's degree quick and get it out of the way. Then take the pre-requisites courses to apply to a master's program. My question is the following: If I get a bachelor's degree from University of Phoenix which is accredited by the the North Central Association and I decide to get back to the states and apply in a school in Florida or North Carolina which are accredited by the southern association, Will they take my Bachelor's degree, even though is accredited by North central association?? Please help I am very confused! Should I look into a school that is accredited regionally or nationally?? I just want to make sure that my bachelor will be accepted in any state, if I was to apply for a master's program in speech and language pathology. Please help, I feel lost.
I was planning to enroll in University of Phoenix to do the bachelor in Business Management because this program transfer a lot of my previous credits. And then take the pre-requisites courses.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dallass51 in Los Alamos, New Mexico

43 months ago

Hello, I am wondering if anyone on here has graduated from an online program for speech therapy? If so, was it hard finding a job? My husband thinks that employers will discriminate against some that have obtained their degree online as opposed to a regular classroom setting. Does anyone have thoughts about this? I really want to pursue a career in speech therapy. I am looking into Utah State University because they have an accredited online bachelors degree program for communicative disorders, and I hear there are a lot of online graduate programs out there that are accredited. I really cant go to school full time because of work/finincial issues. Any advice or info would be so helpful, thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maxie in Pompano Beach, Florida

43 months ago

I go to FAU. I'm currently working towards a Psychology degree minoring in Sociology. Yes you can apply to graduate school even with a different undergraduate degree. You usually have to take prerequisites which normally takes about a year to complete. I definitely advice people to lead more into a degree in Psychology, Sociology, or Linguistics( more related to speech pathology than any other program!) plus, I'm currently taking a class now which by the looks of the teacher is really difficult(Neuroanatomy). So, in order to prepare yourself, I absolutely guarantee having a strong science background!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in New York, New York

43 months ago

I am majoring in Communicative Disorders now at USU. It's a bachelors degree, 12 classes, and it's distance education. It has all the prereqs for speech pathology. Also, it's fully accredited by ASHA and the cheapest program I have found at about $227/credit. I know about costs, because I'm a college counselor and have done some major research. Exams are proctored, but so far it has been a rewarding and highly challenging experience. If you maintain anything below a 3.0, you are suspended from the program. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dallass51 in Los Alamos, New Mexico

43 months ago

Thank you so much for your comment. That really helps a lot. Do you know where you are planning on going to graduate school? I really want to get into this field, it just seems like a lot of time and money, but it sounds like it would be worth it. Hopefully I can apply for financial aid. Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania Pascarella in Pompano Beach, Florida

43 months ago

Lindsay in New York, New York said: I am majoring in Communicative Disorders now at USU. It's a bachelors degree, 12 classes, and it's distance education. It has all the prereqs for speech pathology. Also, it's fully accredited by ASHA and the cheapest program I have found at about $227/credit. I know about costs, because I'm a college counselor and have done some major research. Exams are proctored, but so far it has been a rewarding and highly challenging experience. If you maintain anything below a 3.0, you are suspended from the program. Hope that helps.

I am currently looking at the bachelor's in communicative disorders online at USU. Are all the classes fully online? I am asking because my husband is in the military and we are being stationed in Germany. I am planning to pursue this program if I can do it all online. Are the books for the classes online as well?? Thank you for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

akortokrax in Columbus, Ohio

42 months ago

Hello,

I'm hoping - since you are from Florida - that you may be able to answer my question(s)!!! I'm worried about my fiance and I quitting our jobs, spending gobs of money to move, and then me not being able to get into a graduate school in Florida... since I think schools are pretty competitive. I'm actually a really good student... I just didn't pay attention when I dropped my classes one quarter!!! I hope this isn't too long or a bother... but I'll explain below:

I will graduate w/ a cumulative (between 3 schools) 3.6ish overall GPA (I had 3 withdrawal fails from a different university caused by dropping a class too late four years ago = bringing down this GPA) but a 3.97 GPA at OSU & in the Speech and Hearing Major. I also work as an ABA therapist with a boy who has low-functioning autism and volunteer at SLP office. I'm in NSSHLA and am in an ASL club. By the time I would apply, I would be fluent in English (obviously), ASL, and have some experience in Spanish. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I tend to do well on standardized tests... I think I got a 30 on the ACT............ I'm just kicking myself over those 3 WF classes; my gpa would be awesome w/o them... if I would have tried to do something about it four years ago, I could have probably had them removed from my transcript because the professors told me I could still drop w/o consequence.

Anyways, thanks for reading all of this!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Roswell, Georgia

42 months ago

Columbus, Ohio,

You have a strong application, but I think it just depends where you are applying to school and well how many other people are applying. Competition is tough, but as long as you make over 1000 on your GRE, I think you could get in somewhere in Florida. My GPA was less than your and I have D's on my transcipt and I still got in to some Florida schools. I think another thing to keep in mind would be your personal statement. Look at the research professors are doing and write in your personal statement how you are interested in it. If the school is more research based, this goes a long way! I would not worry too much..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

akortokrax in Columbus, Ohio

42 months ago

Thank you soooo much!! I was worried about spending lots of $$$$ moving, establishing residency, and then not being able to get into a graduate school (and then no longer being a resident in Ohio!) in FL, but I feel so much better after reading your message! Looking into the research done by professors at a school is a great idea - thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maxie in Boca Raton, Florida

42 months ago

The best choice you can make! thats what I'm doing! you'll be more than prepared, and you would have more jobs after you graduate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ptg1412 in Scranton, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I am looking into becoming a speech pathologist for my masters degree. I currently have my early childhood and elementary education b.a. but there are no jobs available. If someone could help me I am wondering if you can earn your masters in speech in Pennsylvania but still work in New York or New Jersey? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in New York, New York

41 months ago

dallass51 in Los Alamos, New Mexico said: Thank you so much for your comment. That really helps a lot. Do you know where you are planning on going to graduate school? I really want to get into this field, it just seems like a lot of time and money, but it sounds like it would be worth it. Hopefully I can apply for financial aid. Thanks again!

Hi, I'm looking at Teachers College at Columbia, Brooklyn College, Lehman, and CUNY Hunter. The grad programs are incredibly competitive and only admit students in the fall. Best of luck to you. Not sure how much financial aid you will get with the program at Utah State. They do payment plans.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

destinee in Dothan, Alabama

41 months ago

Theresa in San Antonio, Texas said: I live in SanAntonio area and I am interested in becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist, I have a B.A. in Sociology and a teaching certification in Special Education EC-12th grade and a general certificate in EC-4th grade. What would be my first move?? I am having trouble finding programs online, also does any schools or organizations offer grants or fellowships to get my SLP??? I know there is an extremely high need for them?? Thanks everyone.

what will i need to go to.to start speech therophy in elementary school in 4th grade

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona

41 months ago

If you are in 4th grade and think you might need speech therapy, your school will have a speech therapist (SLP). You should talk to her (or him) and see if she can help you. If you don't know who that person is, ask your teacher to tell you. You should also talk to your mom or dad and let them know what you are worried about, they can talk to the teacher and the SLP for you. Not everybody needs speech therapy at school, but if you need it there are people who can help you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NeicNeic1214 in Laurinburg, North Carolina

38 months ago

Hi. I am looking to become a Speech Language Pathologist. I have stuttered for as long as I remember. I want to be able to help others that have had this problems as well. I need to know how to go about becoming a Speech Language Pathologist. I would like to take all my classes online if possible. Because I do stutter, I don't feel confortable in a traditional school setting. I was going to get a Bachelors in Psychology and then get a Masters in Speech Language Pathologist. I was wondering if that would work like that or what do I need to major in? Has anyone found any online classes to get a Bachelors in Communication Disorders? Just any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Astoria, New York

38 months ago

Hi There,

It's very important that you get a bachelors in Communicative disorders. If you get it in psychology, you will not be taking the right prerequisites for the masters program. Many schools like lasalle and usu offer this online.

Best of luck! You seem very passionate, and I'm sure you will do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona

38 months ago

Remember that even if you do online classes, you will need over 400 hours of clinical practice during the master's program and that will have to be done in person. If you are uncomfortable with that, that is something you should consider now.

I do believe that of any group of people, SLP graduate students are likely to be very compassionate and understanding of your issues. I can understand why you might choose to do an online undergraduate degree, but please don't rule out doing a graduate program as a traditional student. I believe it would be a positive experience for you and might be helpful for your speech.

I also agree that you should get your undergraduate degree in Communication Disorders (some schools call it Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences). It will make your master's studies a full year shorter.

Good luck to you. There are some very successful SLPs who are also people who stutter, including some with PhDs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio said: darn. so it's really difficult to find SLP programs online? how come my manager is able to get her PTA degree mostly through an online program?

SLP programs are require extensive (400 hours) clinical experience at the Graduate level. This typically requires five semesters (two fall, two spring and a summer) of work at a clinic either on campus or with a participating healthy facility nearby.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in California in Riverside, California

38 months ago

Hi this question is for Lindsay in New York or really anyone taking an online ba program. I am currently looking at obtaining my second bachelor's degree (my first is in Psychology) from USU and I was wondering what the program is like? I know that exams need to be proctored but was wondering specifics about the classes. Are classes at certain times (for example do I need to be online every Thursday at 7pm for class) or are they go at your own pace ( the professor post up assignments and they are due on certains days and test must be taken by certain dates)? Do we interact with the professor, does the professor lecture and we listen or do we just have reading assignments with assignments do? Any information regarding the program would be great! I am currently working full time and really would like to know if the program will affect my current schedule. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stefania Pascarella in W├╝rzburg, Germany

38 months ago

Since my husband is in the military and stationed in Germany I had to start taking classes fully online to get my bachelor's in Psychology. I am currently at UMUC, and this is the 3rd class I am taking online. You don't have to be online at certain days or times, is not like that. Just make sure you do your assignments and submit them by the DUE DATE. In my case, I have to interact with my classmates through discussions every week. (That pretty much counts for you attendance. You post a response to a discussion post and also to your classmate's post. Most likely you do your own readings, or at times he/she might have some video lectures for you to view. I take my exams at one of the military bases, but I heard people also their finals at home. I don't know about this specific program. Best advice I can give you: be organize with your time and set a time you want to dedicate to school couple days a week. For example I log on every morning from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m and then take a break and log on later, depending on how much work I have to do that week. Good Luck, organization and time management is the key!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in California in Rancho Cucamonga, California

38 months ago

Stefania Pascarella in Würzburg, Germany said: Since my husband is in the military and stationed in Germany I had to start taking classes fully online to get my bachelor's in Psychology. I am currently at UMUC, and this is the 3rd class I am taking online. You don't have to be online at certain days or times, is not like that. Just make sure you do your assignments and submit them by the DUE DATE. In my case, I have to interact with my classmates through discussions every week. (That pretty much counts for you attendance. You post a response to a discussion post and also to your classmate's post. Most likely you do your own readings, or at times he/she might have some video lectures for you to view. I take my exams at one of the military bases, but I heard people also their finals at home. I don't know about this specific program. Best advice I can give you: be organize with your time and set a time you want to dedicate to school couple days a week. For example I log on every morning from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m and then take a break and log on later, depending on how much work I have to do that week. Good Luck, organization and time management is the key!

Thank you for your input it is very helpful. I am hoping to obtaining my second bachelors degree from USU in Communicative Disorders. I am confident to I will do well being that I am extremely determined to become a Speech Pathologist and this will be the first step towards eventually obtaining my Master's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology. Any other input from anyone else doing an online program especially at USU in Communicative Disorders would be great! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cheri in Detroit, Michigan

38 months ago

my head is spinning after reading soooo many posts!! i don't know where to look or begin. i have a BA in counseling psychology. i have a MA in teaching. have been teaching for 12 years. wondering how can i get started and work on a SLP degree. i understand some posts are from online schoolers. i am thinking that is my first option due to the fact i DID get called back to work in the public schools in the GREAT state of michigan. those onliners - did you find a school program near you that would accept your credits/work so you can do any clinical/contact classes?? maybe i am too old for this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ALD0718 in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

I'm cuurently from Texas and going to start my post bachelors in comm. Dis. The only thing I noticed was in Texas only 8 classes are required to obtain a 2nd bachelors in Comm D, where was at USU it's 12, 3,000 more dollars. Does anyone know if I could transfer to a Texas university when I'm completed with the 24 hours completed and graduate from university here in Texas such as Kingsville or maybe transfer half way through to avoid taking classes not needed to graduate here in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Perla

37 months ago

ALD0718 in Houston, Texas said: I'm cuurently from Texas and going to start my post bachelors in comm. Dis. The only thing I noticed was in Texas only 8 classes are required to obtain a 2nd bachelors in Comm D, where was at USU it's 12, 3,000 more dollars. Does anyone know if I could transfer to a Texas university when I'm completed with the 24 hours completed and graduate from university here in Texas such as Kingsville or maybe transfer half way through to avoid taking classes not needed to graduate here in Texas.

A&M in Kingsville actually offers both a BS and MS in Comm Disorders. You should call/visit and talk to someone in that dept.

If you decide not to go there then try looking for University programs that are accredited by ASHA. I took an Intro to Comm Disorders class and the professor suggested that we only apply at accredited graduate schools because they meet ALL requirements necessary for Texas licensure.

I'm currently at Texas State University and just got accepted to their Undergrad Comm Disorders program. It was competitive--I was also told that grad school in Texas can be competitive as well but I'm not there yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ALD0718 in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Well USU is accredited by ASHA. I would take classes there, but I'm currently a teacher and it's hard to physically make it to class. I emailed the classes required at USU to the Comm D program at Kingsville to see if any of the classes transfer or are equivalent to them. They haven't responded back. But I really hope some do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chepea@hotmail.com in Glendale, California

37 months ago

cheri in Detroit, Michigan said: my head is spinning after reading soooo many posts!! i don't know where to look or begin. i have a BA in counseling psychology. i have a MA in teaching. have been teaching for 12 years. wondering how can i get started and work on a SLP degree. i understand some posts are from online schoolers. i am thinking that is my first option due to the fact i DID get called back to work in the public schools in the GREAT state of michigan. those onliners - did you find a school program near you that would accept your credits/work so you can do any clinical/contact classes?? maybe i am too old for this!

No you are not! I am 37 and I am going back to get my M.S. in SLP. There was a guy with grey hair in my class. This is back in college while getting my B.A.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Denise in San Diego, California

36 months ago

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona said: I am a Speech-Language Pathologist (CCC-SLP from ASHA). Licensure in most if not all US states requires 400 hours of supervised clinical contact which is usually integrated as part of the graduate program in addition to the academic requirements. Because of this, graduate training programs tend not to be available online because of the difficulty in providing continuity of supervision and determining the student's clinical skills necessary for graduation. To my knowledge, none of the highly regarded accredited US programs provide graduate training online. I would be uncertain of the quality of an online graduate program in this field.

The programs linked above appeared to be Bachelor's programs, which serve as prerequisites to the graduate program and would be more easily completed online.

I wanted to ask you, what do you suggest I do. I am interest in a career in SLP and have been told that I would excel as a Speech Pathologist. However, I messed up during my undergraduate career and my GPA suffered as a result. I know my GPA is not even close to the minimum for any graduate program, yet it does not seem to be high enough for a post bacc program either. Should I try going back for a second degree? I appreciate your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AZSLP in Tucson, Arizona

36 months ago

Denise, if your bachelor's is in an unrelated field It isn't a bad idea to do a second bachelor's in SLP or even just take the prereq courses as a non-degree seeking student. If you can pull off a very high GPA in the prereq courses almost any program would consider you as a grad student in my experience. But if your low grades are in SLP courses, the admissions committee probably won't be too interested in you if you get higher grades in another area than you did as an SLP student. They'd probably take that as an indicator that your talents lie in a different direction. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Perla in Texas

36 months ago

Denise,

I agree with AZSLP--if you can get a high GPA in all your prereq courses then I would do that. I'm sure it's different at every school, but I'm currently in an undergrad program where we have students called "levelers". They have degrees in other areas but what to be SLPs. So before they can apply to grad school they are required to take certain SLP classes. They just end up taking several undergrad SLP classes (not all of them). I did notice that they have to do more work than the rest of us (research reports, presentations, and research projects) but again they don't take all of the required undergrad classes. So if I were you, I'd just get my prerequisites done and just ace them all. You can do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rrroxana1 in El Paso, Texas

35 months ago

ALD0718 in Houston, Texas said: I'm cuurently from Texas and going to start my post bachelors in comm. Dis. The only thing I noticed was in Texas only 8 classes are required to obtain a 2nd bachelors in Comm D, where was at USU it's 12, 3,000 more dollars. Does anyone know if I could transfer to a Texas university when I'm completed with the 24 hours completed and graduate from university here in Texas such as Kingsville or maybe transfer half way through to avoid taking classes not needed to graduate here in Texas.

I am also looking into starting an SLP online program and have found a couple of universities. You might want to call Texas Woman's University and check if your classes are transferable. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.