What are the pros and cons of being a Speech Therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Undecided in Jamaica, New York

54 months ago

I'm considering Pursuing a career in SLP.What can you tell me about the field?What's a good undergrad major that will prepare for a graduate degree program in Speech Therapy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KF in Palo Alto, California

52 months ago

An upside is that you get to help people. The upsides are outlined on a variety of sites. Therefore,I will provide a few points that may be downsides, depending on who you are. 1. Do you like to see results? Depending on the population that you work with, the progress may be significant or minimal, so you really need to be very compassionate. 2. Are you okay with following imposed rules? Consider that whether you work in a school or a hospital, that there are rules galore because of the regulations. This is a good thing overall -- they help protect people, but you need to be prepared to follow the rules, even though they may not make sense to you. 3. Do you want flexible vacations? You are helping people 1:1, so you will likely not be working from home. If you work in a school, you get the scheduled vacations. If you work in a hospital, you may be in a lottery system to get vacations. Re: undergrad majors. There are about a year of prerequisite undergrad courses, so why not major in speech path as an undergrad. Other things I have seen: education, child development, linguistics, but anything will work, if you are willing to spend an extra year on the undergrad courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.