Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming state farm agent interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

AprilSky87 in Annapolis, Maryland

71 months ago

I had 2 interviews, one was with the assistant. I came in and filled out an application because I emailed a resume to them.Then, she made me go online and take a test for about an hour and a half. Then, when I was done with those I went to her office and we discussed my resume and she went over the job description and she said that the manager liked what she saw and I passed the test so I have another interview! YAY! N-O-T!!!!I came back a week later for my second interview, it was a group interview (there were 6 people) asking me questions. It was overwhelming for me because I have never done that. They ask you what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs.? Your long-term and short-term goal. Tell them about a time that you helped someone.Why would you like to work there? Your skills that would help them? Why should they hire you?It was like an hour. After the interview, they said I did good on the interview and they would discuss my potential and would give me a call back .The assistant called the next day and said "I did well on the interview but THEY have decided to go the other way" And I got off the phone thinking what did I do wrong? They are going the other way? What the F***?! they said I did well.... anyway Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

teburns81 in Mobile, Alabama

62 months ago

Hello,

I have been in outside sales for going on 3 years now and have been in insurance for a little over a year. I am currently working for a State Farm agent and am receiving valuable pre-training for myself if I choose to open my own agency.
From the description of your interview process, I would say that you still have a shot at the opportunity if you want it. There was just something you said or did in your second interview that you probably could have done BETTER. If you think long and hard about it, you'll know what it was.
Starting an agency is a risk for you as well as a risk for State Farm. They were probably doing you a huge favor at this point by turning you down.
If you really want the position, you should first get on as agent staff or an outside sales person for one of your local, successful agents. Get to know the agents in your area - talk to them about the opportunity and they will help recommend you! Learn the business and increase sales for your agency and THEN... go back to State Farm and ask for that agency opportunity. They will see you as resilient and that's what it takes to make it in the insurance biz.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter in Frederick, Maryland

51 months ago

AprilSky87 in Annapolis, Maryland said: I had 2 interviews, one was with the assistant. I came in and filled out an application because I emailed a resume to them.Then, she made me go online and take a test for about an hour and a half. Then, when I was done with those I went to her office and we discussed my resume and she went over the job description and she said that the manager liked what she saw and I passed the test so I have another interview! YAY! N-O-T!!!!I came back a week later for my second interview, it was a group interview (there were 6 people) asking me questions. It was overwhelming for me because I have never done that. They ask you what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs.? Your long-term and short-term goal. Tell them about a time that you helped someone.Why would you like to work there? Your skills that would help them? Why should they hire you?It was like an hour. After the interview, they said I did good on the interview and they would discuss my potential and would give me a call back .The assistant called the next day and said "I did well on the interview but THEY have decided to go the other way" And I got off the phone thinking what did I do wrong? They are going the other way? What the F***?! they said I did well.... anyway Good Luck to you.

This particular interview set up sounds more like an Operations Position interview like for a claim representative or underwriter intead of the Agency process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.