Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical substitute teacher salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Randilyn in Arlington, Texas

98 months ago

I am new to this market. Please inform me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

97 months ago

Try doing a few searches using the Indeed Salary Search (www.indeed.com/salary)

Here is one I did for substitue teachers:
www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Substitute+Teacher&l1=&tm=1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Conway, Washington

97 months ago

Host said: What are typical substitute teacher salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I did not realize companies employed substitute teachers. Isn't it usually public school districts? In our area it certainly is, and pay is usually on a per day basis, with the districts keeping us as independent contractors. Hourly rates are OK, ranging from $15 to $19 an hour, but with no benefits of any kind, and no job security. They are only interested in a teaching credential, and do not offer extra money for extra training. Great job if one is retired with some other income, or needs a part time job that allows flexibility in scheduling due to other commitments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Princess Delilah in Painesville, Ohio

93 months ago

My computer got infected with spyware and a trojan when i clicked on the link!! BEWARE!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Pelzer, South Carolina

80 months ago

In Greenville, SC, certified substitutes earn $145.50 a day. That's twice the average of neighboring districts around here and about half of what a full-time teacher makes. It's a great job for retirees because you don't have to make out lesson plans, stay for meetings, pull duty, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karin in Hutchinson, Kansas

79 months ago

In my area for 2008-2009 school year substitutes will receive $80/day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Make Believe in Lawrenceville, Georgia

79 months ago

I'm a full time Mary Kay Consultant and a substitute teacher when they call me in. I receive $90/ day and only when I want to go in.

Contact me for more info. mk_sheila@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mejaka in Coeur D Alene, Idaho

77 months ago

In my area of North Idaho, sub pay is $65 a day (yes, that's right) and no additional pay for certified or degreed teachers. If the teacher for which a substitute is called in has bus or lunch duty, the sub has bus or lunch duty. The sub can opt to refuse any job, although too many refusals will result in fewer calls from the scheduler. Teachers are also allowed to hire their own subs here (the substitute must be on the district sub list, of course), which means that substitutes have some influence over the classrooms they work in--I have a few teachers who nearly always call me because our styles mesh well.

Over ten years ago I made $62/day, some being added pay for my qualifications, in a SE Idaho district. Sub pay here is very low, and sub quality overall isn't that great either. I'm very good at what I do and often frustrated at the low value placed on it.

teachy in Vero Beach, Florida

74 months ago

Sub pay here in east FL (my county) is $80/day if you hold an AA degree - $100/day if you have a Bachelors. We use an online system to 'get' jobs and it's very competitive these days!! If you are a long term sub (21 days or more in the same class) the pay jumps to $175 ish / day - no benefits. They have way more subs than needed (350 subs - only need 100/day average) so the competition is fierce!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bodilly in Sandersville, Ga. in Cobden, Illinois

73 months ago

Host said: What are typical substitute teacher salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I keep reading to hear the answer to this question and it has not been given, please enlighten me. What are typical subs salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more? What does a top earner make in this field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bodilly in Sandersville, Georgia

73 months ago

A good sub must have the ability to take charge and maintain control throughtout the course of the class. They must be prepared to deal with multiple personalities and attitudes. They must show a genuine love and concern for the student's welfare and progress. They must be able to say," I do not know the answer, be sure to address this with your regular teacher when they return." They must not be afraid to report the first sign of deviant behavior to the principal's office. Usually this will defer others from creating distractions. It is vital to make a good strong first impression demonstrating control and confidence in what you are there to achieve.A good sub must not appear to be overbearing and tyranical,but must maintain a level of equality in communicating.In other words, a student's voice is always important as long as it is in the proper perimeters of the classroom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

I'm in Tampa, Florida, have a Bachelor's Degree and have completed teacher certification. I get 9.58 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mejaka in Pullman, Washington

73 months ago

Bodilly in Sandersville, Ga. in Cobden, Illinois said: I keep reading to hear the answer to this question and it has not been given, please enlighten me. What are typical subs salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more? What does a top earner make in this field?

There are no typical sub salaries. Even being salaried isn't typical. Sub pay varies by state, because each state's education budget is different and generally if not always, each district within the state establishes its own pay scale. I don't work for a company; I work for a school district directly, so I can't comment on companies that provide subs for districts--no one out here does that.

I am a certified teacher and make $65/day. Sub pay in my state (Idaho) is pretty low. In Washington, just next door, the pay is much higher--$116/day for the district nearest the Idaho border, and my uncle who works near Seattle makes $140/day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bodilly in Cobden, Illinois

73 months ago

Thanks Majeka
your comment was very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bodilly in Cobden, Illinois

73 months ago

This sounds extremely low for Tampa, even Georga pays more. Hang in there.You have to really love what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Bodilly in Cobden, Illinois said: This sounds extremely low for Tampa, even Georga pays more. Hang in there.You have to really love what you do.

No, I don't love what I do. I need to pay the mortgage. Subbing for $9.50 an hour is better than $00.00. I have been looking for a part time for nights too. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

In Greenville, SC, certified substitutes earn $145.50 a day. That's twice the average of neighboring districts around here and about half of what a full-time teacher makes.
GREENVILLE SUB PAY - THE REAL STORY

Professional Positions
Positions requiring Certification or Licensing
Position Substitute Daily Rate of Pay
Satellite Programs, Registered Nurse $120.94

Non-Certified Teacher $66.50
School Nurse $69.74
Certified Teacher $145.50 if S.C. Certified and/or eligible for a S.C. Teaching License.

Certificate pay beginning on Day 11 in the same job provided the substitute is certified in the subject being taught. A “ Request for Substitute Pay” form must be completed and approved by the Director of Compensation for certificate pay beginning on day 11.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: No, I don't love what I do. I need to pay the mortgage. Subbing for $9.50 an hour is better than $00.00. I have been looking for a part time for nights too. :)

Hang in there Mary, looking at the figures again, your pay is commensurable with middle and southern Georgia I know. We do what we have to to survive. I only wish you liked what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

In my county - you can sub with an AA degree or Bachelors. AA = $80/day Bach = $100/day However if you sub for the same teacher (Long Term Sub) for more than 20 consecutive days the pay jumps to $175 ish (not sure) but you are are required to create lesson plans and attend meetings etc (basically do everything a reg teacher does) The day to day subs get $100 for a bachelors but do not have to be certified or even have a degree in Education (just a degree). The the person in Tampa - I am across the state from you (Vero Beach) - due east (take SR 60) - and we are lower paid than our surrounding counties.

I would move to SC if the 145/day was for day-to-day subs... but if I am reading this correct .. the day to day subs only get 66.50/day! ouch ... maybe I am not clear? sounds like you 'certified' sub are the same as my 'long term subs' ??

School Nurse $69.74
Certified Teacher $145.50 if S.C. Certified and/or eligible for a S.C. Teaching License.

Certificate pay beginning on Day 11 in the same job provided the substitute is certified in the subject being taught. A “ Request for Substitute Pay” form must be completed and approved by the Director of Compensation for certificate pay beginning on day 11.

73 months ago

I only wish you liked what you do.

I like what I do. I have teacher certification English 6-12 (got this year); had anticipated getting a job teaching. I have gotten a lot out of subbing.

I just wish I had more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Bodilly in Sandersville, Georgia said: I think this as an extremely good pay scale for certified subs. I wonder what the pay scale looks like for the certified tenured school teacher. Tell me more and make me move to Greenville, S.C.

Go to the website for Greenville public schools - all the info for payscales is there. 44 states require the Praxis Series for teaching.

73 months ago

teachy in Vero Beach, Florida said: In my county - you can sub with an AA degree or Bachelors. AA = $80/day Bach = $100/day However if you sub for the same teacher (Long Term Sub) for more than 20 consecutive days the pay jumps to $175 ish (not sure) but you are are required to create lesson plans and attend meetings etc (basically do everything a reg teacher does) The day to day subs get $100 for a bachelors but do not have to be certified or even have a degree in Education (just a degree). The the person in Tampa - I am across the state from you (Vero Beach) - due east (take SR 60) - and we are lower paid than our surrounding counties.

I would move to SC if the 145/day was for day-to-day subs... but if I am reading this correct .. the day to day subs only get 66.50/day! ouch ... maybe I am not clear? sounds like you 'certified' sub are the same as my 'long term subs' ??

School Nurse $69.74

Certified means certified to teach that subject or qualify to be a teacher.

73 months ago

That's a wish we all have Mary. Did you get certified through a school or by some alternative means such as Georgia offers after you have subbed long term for a while.(Those with a Bachelor's degree other than Education)

73 months ago

Bodilly in Sandersville, Georgia said: That's a wish we all have Mary. Did you get certified through a school or by some alternative means such as Georgia offers after you have subbed long term for a while.(Those with a Bachelor's degree other than Education)

I'm certified as a substitute. I had to take a three day class. This is through the county I live in.

In Florida (only) I am also certified as a real teacher (through the Florida Dept. of Education). I took an alternative education course to be a teacher (a year long course). Then I took the General Knowledge Test. Then I took the FTCE (Florida Teacher Certification Examination). Then I took English 5-9. Then I took English 6-12.

In January I will take Elementary Education. After that I will take Middle School Intergrated. I also need reading endorsement and ESOL.

mcsanders in Vero Beach, Florida

71 months ago

teachy in Vero Beach, Florida said: Sub pay here in east FL (my county) is $80/day if you hold an AA degree - $100/day if you have a Bachelors. We use an online system to 'get' jobs and it's very competitive these days!! If you are a long term sub (21 days or more in the same class) the pay jumps to $175 ish / day - no benefits. They have way more subs than needed (350 subs - only need 100/day average) so the competition is fierce!

I just moved to Vero Beach and was wondering if you would give me the name of the online system to get on the substitute list. Thanks

71 months ago

You have to apply at the School Board office - then they give you the info on how to log into their system. Good luck - they are on a hiring freeze and have a glut of subs ... bad times!

mcsanders in Vero Beach, Florida

71 months ago

Thank you so much

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: No, I don't love what I do. I need to pay the mortgage. Subbing for $9.50 an hour is better than $00.00. I have been looking for a part time for nights too. :)

Many of us are looking for night jobs to augment another job to pay the bills. It's no longer what you want to do but it's getting a job with good management. Substitute teaching is one of the possibilities. Lots of luck to us all.

bianca in Athens, Georgia

71 months ago

Make Believe in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I'm a full time Mary Kay Consultant and a substitute teacher when they call me in. I receive $90/ day and only when I want to go in.

Contact me for more info. mk_sheila@hotmail.com

hi so you make90 a day in lawrenceville wow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bianca in Athens, Georgia

71 months ago

wow you make 90 A DAY WOW!!!CAUSE I WAS THINKING OF MOVING THERE

BoDilly

71 months ago

It is amazing how large the descrepency in pay is. I live in Middle Georgia, about teo hours from Lawrenceville where the pay is 90 and here it is 53 per day. All school districts seek quality subs and now demand certification before entering the classroom, sooo, why not quality pay for all districts? The job I perform in the classroom is no less than the one performed in Lawrenceville. We basically are instructed to perform in the same manner universally, sooo, why do we not have a universal payscale.

Velma Johnson in Homewood, Illinois

66 months ago

Substitute teaching has been on my mind for quite some time to do and I do plan to pursue this because it is a passion of mine, however, I am currently with a company called Ameriplan who has enabled me to have benefits and although I am just starting out with them, I feel that in 2-4 years I will not have to do anything else except offer a way for others to have the same type of benefits and an income that surpass substitute teaching or some of the other occupations in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Devin in Mount Vernon, Ohio

62 months ago

Sub pay around Central Ohio:
Mount Vernon City(45 Miles North of Columbus): $80/Day
Knox County Educational Service Center(County Schools): 72/Day
Coshocton City(70 miles east of Columbus): 70/day
Mid-Ohio Educational Services Center(County Schools)(Varying distances....based near Mansfield): 75/Day
Delaware City(15 miles from Columbus): 87/Day
Gahanna(Suburb of Columbus): 95/Day.

All subs are payed the same whether they have a teaching license or not. You are required to have a substitute license. A general license requires a Bachelor's degree in anything, and permits teaching up to five consecutive days in any subject. A long term license requires a significant amount of coursework in that subject(I.E. I have an English degree) and it allows you to teach up to five days in any subject, and up to 180 days in that particular subject. The Certificate+Background check costs about 110 dollars a year.

The county schools which pay less, have really high need for subs. So even though I only get paid 72-75 dollars, I get my choice of when I want to work, and in sub cases, which subject. The city schools get taken within five minutes of posting, and obsessively checking the online system is obnoxious.

In Ohio, the Columbus area is pretty saturated which explains the comparatively low rate (less than a $100/day). We have Ohio-State, Ohio Dominican, Capital, Franklin, and OWU all pretty close to central Ohio. However, as a substitute I am USUALLY treated with a lot of respect from the students. Whenever I leave a bad note and return(I sub at a few schools pretty regularly), the students let me know about all the trouble they got into...which is usually REALLY intense.

I've heard of some districts, Omaha is one I think, that pay around 140-145/day.

Amanda

57 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I'm in Tampa, Florida, have a Bachelor's Degree and have completed teacher certification. I get 9.58 an hour.

I am in Sarasota and I am trying to become a substitute. How did you go about getting certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Faith in New Castle, Delaware

56 months ago

i want to know how much does the substitute companies make? I mean companies like Kelly. how much do they charge schools when they send a sub out?

56 months ago

Not a hellofalot. They get what the school pays them. If a district uses Kelly, there is a contract amount. Kelly will interview the sub, set up the training, and provide the pay. The school district will provide the rules, the money for the pay. In Hillsborough County, I didn't even have an interview. I applied online for substitute teacher, set my training date, went to training, got logged into the computer, and started picking jobs.

bardge24 in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

Hi,i am very new in this forum and in USA as well.Yesterday I got a letter from my county that I was approved for Sub Teaching. My question is, how many hours it usually takes for 1 subbing? Because I was also accepted at a Charter School but part time only from 12-4 and I am thinking to take sub teaching in the morning. Is that possible?

deasia in Savannah, Georgia

53 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I'm in Tampa, Florida, have a Bachelor's Degree and have completed teacher certification. I get 9.58 an hour.

thats not right. you have a bachelors degree and have completed the teacher certification and they only pay you $9.58 hour. that is just wrong. it's ashamed how much they pay teachers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

myers509 in Westerville, Ohio

46 months ago

Hello Devin,

Thank you for the great information! How often are your skills utilized, meaning how regular are the teaching opportunities in Central Ohio?

Devin in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: Sub pay around Central Ohio:
Mount Vernon City(45 Miles North of Columbus): $80/Day
Knox County Educational Service Center(County Schools): 72/Day
Coshocton City(70 miles east of Columbus): 70/day
Mid-Ohio Educational Services Center(County Schools)(Varying distances....based near Mansfield): 75/Day
Delaware City(15 miles from Columbus): 87/Day
Gahanna(Suburb of Columbus): 95/Day.

All subs are payed the same whether they have a teaching license or not. You are required to have a substitute license. A general license requires a Bachelor's degree in anything, and permits teaching up to five consecutive days in any subject. A long term license requires a significant amount of coursework in that subject(I.E. I have an English degree) and it allows you to teach up to five days in any subject, and up to 180 days in that particular subject. The Certificate+Background check costs about 110 dollars a year.

The county schools which pay less, have really high need for subs. So even though I only get paid 72-75 dollars, I get my choice of when I want to work, and in sub cases, which subject. The city schools get taken within five minutes of posting, and obsessively checking the online system is obnoxious.

In Ohio, the Columbus area is pretty saturated which explains the comparatively low rate (less than a $100/day). We have Ohio-State, Ohio Dominican, Capital, Franklin, and OWU all pretty close to central Ohio. However, as a substitute I am USUALLY treated with a lot of respect from the students. Whenever I leave a bad note and return(I sub at a few schools pretty regularly), the students let me know about all the trouble they got into...which is usually REALLY intense.

I've heard of some districts, Omaha is one I think, that pay around 140-145/day.[/QUOT

S.Mo in Waldorf, Maryland

46 months ago

I live in Waldorf,Md. and they start uncertified subs with $68.oo per day and certified get $90 a day I think. I get called everyday and I mean everyday. I love it because it very convenient and I can go in whenever I feel like it. I do not have to worry about calling someone to work for me. This a great position for someone that has retired and wants to make a little extra money. Or if you are in between jobs and need an income or just want to have something to do from time to time.

Northern Nevada in Sparks, Nevada

45 months ago

Our counties vary quite a bit, around Northern Nevada. For example in the capital (Carson City) pay is $90/day for a sub, in Washoe county that number drops to $85, and in Lyon county $100 a day. The legislative session will be changing much though, so we will see.

frustrated in Uniontown, Ohio

44 months ago

In Alliance, Ohio, subs get $48.34 per day. Can you top that? Or should I say "bottom" that!

frustrated in Uniontown, Ohio

44 months ago

In Alliance, Ohio, subs get $48.34 per day. Can you top that! Or should I say "bottom" that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Haverhill, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Hi,

What is the link or agency you use? I sub in CT and MA, and want to move to the Vero Beach area to be near my daughters. I am currently hooked up with Kelly Academic Services as well, so if there's one near there, I will automatically be hired. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Diana

UP EARLY in Belmont, Massachusetts

37 months ago

...ONLINE substitute services are somewhat abusive to substitute teachers...
we have to watch computers or cell phones ALL day....
to 'maybe' get a job sometime in the future..be that tomorrow..or 3 months out...from now!

also...
SUBSTITUTEONLINE.COM is terrible..the buttons stick on cell phones..and require constant refreshing of the screen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

g.l.s. in Athens, Georgia

35 months ago

It depends on your district and education level and experience. I would suggest looking at your school district's human resources page. Usually for a H.S. grad (no college) it's $9.00 p/h, $10 or $11 for A.A./A.S. degrees, $13-$14 for B.A./B.S. and up to $19 for retired teachers. What others say their counties pay is irrelevant. I would consult your district and ask what their salary rate is. Most H.R. pages have salary schedules on the site. I gave some examples of pay because I've worked in three different states and the scale was usually around this amount. It's obviously an hourly job because it isn't a consistent every day job (only because you can chose when to take a job, but you can chose to take jobs everyday should they be available). You can also be eligible for benefits, but you must be full-time. This could depend on your district's policy though. Good luck!

Janice

29 months ago

In my town in central NJ, substitute teachers are paid $70 per day, state certified or 60 plus college credits w/ state sub certificate. When I started in 2000 it was $67 daily. Surrounding towns are around $80 per day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iowateacher in Sully, Iowa

11 months ago

If Iowa districts paid what most of you are stating as daily substitute teaching salaries, they would never have enough subs. 65-70 dollars a day to sub is terrible. Of course in Iowa, you usually must have a regular teaching license in order to be able to sub. I teach in a small K-12 school district with 600 kids and we pay 100 dollars a day. The bigger districts will pay anywhere from 120-140 dollars a day. Some districts still cannot get enough subs.

PeterEgan in Long Beach, Mississippi

11 months ago

I'm not sure that "substitute teacher" counts as a job for someone looking to support themselves from it. It's part-time, sporadic and you never know when you'll be working or if you'll be working. If you don't need the income or are doing it for the sake of human interaction/making a difference then I suppose this would be a good choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.