What are the best superintendent qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a superintendent? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective superintendent?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

R. Stevie Thomas in New York, New York

80 months ago

I'm looking for advice at becoming a superintendent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Bronx, New York

69 months ago

R. Stevie Thomas in New York, New York said: I'm looking for advice at becoming a superintendent.

well go and get all the licenses and coursess necesarly for this position and you have to be skillful in plumbing,electrical,painting,plastering,tiling,managin the athers atentiont to detail and you have to know how to comunicate with the athers wich is a very important step and try not to hang out ion the lobby of your building becouse it is not a good think the tenats more the see you more complaints tha have or the always have samethink to say u know i'm a general contractor and i know very well the trade i was a super before but i have my own company know good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Bolingbrook, Illinois

67 months ago

tony in Bronx, New York said: well go and get all the licenses and coursess necesarly for this position and you have to be skillful in plumbing,electrical,painting,plastering,tiling,managin the athers atentiont to detail and you have to know how to comunicate with the athers wich is a very important step and try not to hang out ion the lobby of your building becouse it is not a good think the tenats more the see you more complaints tha have or the always have samethink to say u know i'm a general contractor and i know very well the trade i was a super before but i have my own company know good luck

This is not the man you need to listen to. As you can see he his typing and spelling leaves something to be desired. So when you apply, write as if you were talking with them. Articulation and spelling is very important.Experience is one of the most impressive credentials you can have. Also common sense can carry you a long way to.New York carries a much different criteria for Superintendents than lets say Chicago. If you want to stay in NY, so be it, however try for a relocation position in the Chicago area, you will like the work, men and city a bit better. And I to wish you good luck....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ronald Schuster in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

55 months ago

As my resume states, I have been involved in the power industry construction for more than 20 years. The last ten years were devoted to serving as Mechanical Superintendent, with various Large Construction Companies’ the last six assignments including two projects for Zachry Construction Inc.; two for Black & Veatch; two for Nooter / Eicksen; and, one for Sacramento Municipal Utilities District (SMUD).

Most of the Construction Management consisted of Power Boilers, and Fluidized Bed and Heat Recovery Steam Generators (HRSGs). I was working with Babcock & Wilcox on the construction of conventional coal fired power boilers and building re-circulating heat recovery power boilers. I have Managed Nooter / Eriksen and Vogt-NEM, HRSGs. I am familiar with ASME and B31.1, in Boiler codes in Power piping also FRP piping.

During this time, I earned from Villanova University Essentials of Project Management Certificate and also taking Candidate Course of Essential Government Contracting Management and certifications in OSHA (10 hour), (30 hour), OSHA – (510) and Cal- OSHA Crane inspection / Rigging and First Aid; and 19 classes through ABC and Education Construction Foundation. As a result of this, I can serve as a safety person on construction projects.

I was a Union Boilermaker for 8 years and in Management of, 3 Union projects.

I meet all requirements stated in your letter and look forward to meeting with you. I will contact you next week to determine a convenient time for us to discuss the many ways in which my experience can benefit your company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

OSHA Guy in Murrieta, California

49 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a superintendent? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective superintendent?

For regular workers I recommend the OSHA 10 hour training course, but for superintendents I recommend the OSHA 30 Hour training course. Check it out at www.easysafetyschool.com/courses/osha-outreach/osha-30-hour-training.asp Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tenspeed90 in Las Vegas, Nevada

37 months ago

tony in Bronx, New York said: well go and get all the licenses and coursess necesarly for this position and you have to be skillful in plumbing,electrical,painting,plastering,tiling,managin the athers atentiont to detail and you have to know how to comunicate with the athers wich is a very important step and try not to hang out ion the lobby of your building becouse it is not a good think the tenats more the see you more complaints tha have or the always have samethink to say u know i'm a general contractor and i know very well the trade i was a super before but i have my own company know good luck

But I guess spelling and writing abilities are way down on the list of requisites

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Superintendent_p99 in New York, New York

26 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a superintendent? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective superintendent?

Boiler Superintendent Classes are being given in ACI Certification Center in Mid town Manhattan. Everything i needed was given to me there for a cheap fee. Call today....... address is 118 east 28th street. two one two two seven nine six eight zero four

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.