EVMS Surgical Assistant Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

SAHope in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

Hi,
I am VERY interested in attending EVMS's Surgical Assistant program but I would love some firsthand feedback from anyone willing to share. How is the application process? Did you find it highly competitive and stressful? Did you get into the program without prior paid experience. Do you feel confident heading into the workforce after attending? How long did it take from graduation to certification to employment, for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chase in Roswell, Georgia

30 months ago

Hello fellow Floridian! I am from Orlando and have nothing but good things to say about my experience with the program. I am currently working for a small group of assistants in Atlanta, GA.

How is the application process?
The application process (I applied in 2009) is mostly online. I also flew to Norfolk to see the campus and speak with the program director. I was very impressed by the facility and what I was told about the program so it was an easy decision.

Did you find it highly competitive and stressful?

The program was competitive, but the class size is fairly small (under 20) so it could be worse. There are definitely some stressful moments, mainly revolving around Gross Anatomy exams and the first few weeks in the operating room. You are well prepared for each event so if you are confident and work hard, it is manageable.

Did you get into the program without prior paid experience?

I had prior paid experience so I cannot speak much to this. However, there were others in my class who were accepted without prior paid experience.

Do you feel confident heading into the workforce after attending?

Extremely confident, I had several job offers heading into my last semester of the program. I accepted my current job with 2 months left in the program.

How long did it take from graduation to certification to employment, for you?

I already had signed a contract with my group by the time I graduated. This is fairly common in this program.

If you have any other questions, you can email me at ChaseAllenCSA@gmail.com

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lotza1727 in Memphis, Tennessee

30 months ago

I graduated from EVMS in 2011 and only have high remarks for the program. When it came time for me to find a job, I already had offers waiting because employers are aware of our competency coming from a program such as this. I had no previous paid experience in the medical field or experience in the health field at all for that matter prior to entering the program. I did have the required bachelor's degree and the prerequisites upon applying. I was a little anxious about whether or not I would be accepted because it is somewhat competitive (there are only 15 spots per year and hundreds of applicants), but if you're well rounded then that's also important. The application process was clear cut and easy to get through. The program itself was challenging at times, but so rewarding. Just know that your studies come first and you should have no problem. There were a few students, including myself, that were able to handle part time work in addition to our course load. The first half of the program is all classroom based. You learn the essentials of surgery, necessary surgical skills, and anatomy and physiology. The second half of the program is dedicated to clinicals. This was the most beneficial portion of the program and truly prepared us for what we would face in the professional world. I currently work in Memphis, TN for American Surgical Assistants, Inc. and could not be more happy with my position. I love the people I work for and with and enjoy what I do everyday. The only downside to the program would be the cost. My student loans are sometimes daunting, but to be excited about what I get to do day to day, it's worth it. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at airlia.lotz@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SAHope in Hollywood, Florida

30 months ago

Thank you all so much for the info. It's exciting to get first hand info.
An ortho surgeon that I shadowed told me to beware of the Surgical First Assist option because there are many issues that arise with reimbursement and compensation. Do any of you have any comments to add to that topic of not getting reimbursed for first assist work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pokie.atkins in Memphis, Tennessee

28 months ago

SAHope in Hollywood, Florida said: Thank you all so much for the info. It's exciting to get first hand info.
An ortho surgeon that I shadowed told me to beware of the Surgical First Assist option because there are many issues that arise with reimbursement and compensation . Do any of you have any comments to add to that topic of not getting reimbursed for first assist work?

yes reimbursement issues are a problem if your and indepent surgicall assistant, right now Cigna,Blue cross, and medicare. Are not paying surgical First assistants . united health pays and a few private insurance companies but thats about it But we are fighting to get that changed. they are only recognizing PA & CRNFA's as of now , but were are fighting to change that. Groups are fine to join, but alot of the require you to have or eventually have a few doctors orf your own to bring to the table to work with. i believe we ill get the recognition we deserve eventually. These are the cold hard facts ,, dont be discouraged ,, i just want you to know exactly what your up against . Just remeber with God all things are possible i wishyou luck

pokie.atkins@yahoo.com in Memphis, Tennessee

28 months ago

yes reimbursement issues are a problem if your and indepent surgicall assistant, right now Cigna,Blue cross, and medicare. Are not paying surgical First assistants . united health pays and a few private insurance companies but thats about it But we are fighting to get that changed. they are only recognizing PA & CRNFA's as of now , but were are fighting to change that. Groups are fine to join, but alot of the require you to have or eventually have a few doctors orf your own to bring to the table to work with. i believe we ill get the recognition we deserve eventually. These are the cold hard facts ,, dont be discouraged ,, i just want you to know exactly what your up against . Just remeber with God all things are possible i wishyou luck

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.