Getting a surgical assistant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Host

How did you get your start doing surgical assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

James Nguyen in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

I would like to get more infos

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randi Mitchell in Vernon, Alabama

88 months ago

I have always worked in the medical field. Originally I was trained to work for a periodontist and picked up on learning everything very fast. I ended up working there 9 years. I then moved on to working in all different medical areas including OB/GYN, ENT, Physchiatry, IM, etc. I worked in Medical Records, the Switchboard, receptionist, etc. Then I went to school at night while still working during the day and took a 10-month medical transcriptionist course. I then worked in every area possible at a teaching hospital in Alabama. I got such good on the job training with so many interns speaking different languages and learning so many different specialties. I am a very fast learner and enjoy the medical field immensley. I am very very interested in surgical assistant work, whether I have to go back to school or could find someone to train me on the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randi Mitchell in Vernon, Alabama

88 months ago

I currently live in Tupelo, Ms but am wanting to relocate to either Memphis, Tn or Southaven, Tn or Olive Branch, TN. Is there anything in that field available? Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for taking me into consideration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandy in Lutz, Florida

88 months ago

Randi Mitchell said: I have always worked in the medical field. Originally I was trained to work for a periodontist and picked up on learning everything very fast. I ended up working there 9 years. I then moved on to working in all different medical areas including OB/GYN, ENT, Physchiatry, IM, etc. I worked in Medical Records, the Switchboard, receptionist, etc. Then I went to school at night while still working during the day and took a 10-month medical transcriptionist course. I then worked in every area possible at a teaching hospital in Alabama. I got such good on the job training with so many interns speaking different languages and learning so many different specialties. I am a very fast learner and enjoy the medical field immensley. I am very very interested in surgical assistant work, whether I have to go back to school or could find someone to train me on the job.
You will definetly need to go to school, I went to school for surgical technology. Working in the OR is COMPLETELY different from working in a DR's office. You would either have to go to school to become an RN or a surg tech.

JasLyd in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

I had been a surgical tech for 8 years before I felt confident enough to begin assisting in surgery. You must remember a lot of surgical assistants were SURGEONS in other countries prior to being an assistant here, I have been a surgical tech/assistant for over 10 years now and I still have ALOT to learn. Coming from a doctors office and becoming an assistant would be like being a truck driver and expecting to become an assistant, huge change!

73 months ago

I am the same, doing a lot of suturing and is fixing to take a test in Surgical Assistant. Do you have any advise for me on what I need to prepare myself for this test and what to look out for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yusra in Savoy, Illinois

73 months ago

please e-mail yusrag@gmail.com if looking for a job as a surgical assistant - experience needed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I am emailing you for the Surgical Assistant. I have a 3 years Surgical Assistant experience. Please consider me for the position. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jonathan pike SA-C in Madison, Alabama

69 months ago

Dennis Marrero in Houston, Texas said: I am looking for a partner for my office. I owned my surgical assistant Company in Houston, Texas. My e-mail is orthopaedicpac@saogh.com, www.saogh.com

Thank you,

Dennis Marrero, C.S.T., C.F.A., O.P.A.-C, L.S.A.

Are you still looking for help i maybe interested in helping and relocating just need to ask a few questions.

Lisa Marie Marrero in La Mesa, California

62 months ago

Dennis Marrero in Houston, Texas said: I am looking for a partner for my office. I owned my surgical assistant Company in Houston, Texas. My e-mail is orthopaedicpac@saogh.com, www.saogh.com

Thank you,

Dennis Marrero, C.S.T., C.F.A., O.P.A.-C, L.S.A.

hey itz lisa marrero :) I love You Uncle Dennis:)

ORTHOPAEDICPAC in Waco, Texas

62 months ago

Hi Lisa,

How are you?

Uncle Dennnis

Lisa Mariie in La Mesa, California

61 months ago

ORTHOPAEDICPAC in Waco, Texas said: Hi Lisa,

How are you?

Uncle Dennnis

Heyy(: Uncle dennis wazz up today im taking my CAHSEE test 2dayy (: ttyl (: Love Lisa <Marrero

Lisa Marie Marrero in La Mesa, California

61 months ago

Hey Uncle Dennis So hows everyone? Tell Marissa i said hi.
Love always Your Favorite,
Lisa Marie

mia_talau in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

How do you get the internship for Surgical assistant? How did you find the hospital to accept you for it ?

jonathan pike SA-C in Madison, Alabama

61 months ago

mia_talau in Atlanta, Georgia said: How do you get the internship for Surgical assistant? How did you find the hospital to accept you for it ?

I been looking for a while for a sa-c job around here im stuck as a srcub tech!

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

You're right, but unfortunately, I don't work anywhere ! I'm looking for jobs as surgical tech to start from somewhere, but with no luck ! I don't know how to find the hospital for training !

kevin

61 months ago

I thought that there would be a lot of surgical tech jobs in atlanta. How long have u been looking. I'm in the same boat as u but only im in miami.

61 months ago

almost 2 months

61 months ago

my problem is that I'm a foreign medical graduate and I don't have any US hospital experience and they are looking for recommendations from previous employment and 1 or 2 years of experience; although I have 3 years of surgical residency in my country

kevin

61 months ago

Wow where are u from and shouldn't 3 years of surgical residency count for something. What I don't understand is how can any hospital expect a new grad to have 1 year of experience when clinicals aren't even that long

61 months ago

Don't ask me! It's so unbelievable for me too ! The only think I know is the fact that I applied for many positions of surgical tech ( scrub) and I received only rejections from them .

61 months ago

may be this is in Atlanta

kevin(talkofmiami)

61 months ago

Instead of hospitals have you tried surgical center, private practices or outpatient centers

61 months ago

in private practice is hard to get; who wants a beginner ? they want experience people, with references from other places...
I applied for any spot I found on internet, on indeed.jobs website, but I don't get any answer...

Tommy Littlefoot in Richmond, Virginia

61 months ago

I would try a university hospital, usually since they have residents and nurses who are also learning, they seem to be more flexible when it comes to training new people

CSA in West Bloomfield, Michigan

61 months ago

NSAA put me in contact with my first employer at their Houston Conference.

orthopaedicpac in Waco, Texas

61 months ago

email me your number. Here is my e-mail address orthopaedicpac@saogh.com

Dennis

moki in Mansfield, Texas

57 months ago

orthopaedicpac in Waco, Texas said: email me your number. Here is my e-mail address orthopaedicpac@saogh.com

Dennis

r u still looking for help if u r let me know angela

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.