Surgical Assisting in San Diego, Ca

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Joe in Westminster, Colorado

76 months ago

I am a Certified Surgical Assistant in Colorado looking to relocate in California, does surgical assisting even exist in Calli? Who does that job PA's or RNFA's, would like to hear from someone who lives or works there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JasLyd

76 months ago

as far as I know California requires you to be an RN, I dont know about where you work, but at my hospital most of the RN's ask the SA's for advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tshsurgery63 in San Diego, California

74 months ago

What is really the difference between a SA and FA. You are qualified to do the same things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JasLyd in Richmond, Virginia

72 months ago

Damn AORN I believe got it passed that you have to be an RNFA in California.....I am a firm believer that AORN is a cult....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CSA in West Bloomfield, Michigan

71 months ago

Joe in Westminster, Colorado said: I am a Certified Surgical Assistant in Colorado looking to relocate in California, does surgical assisting even exist in Calli? Who does that job PA's or RNFA's, would like to hear from someone who lives or works there.

In the states of NY and CA, SA's can not suture. If you can not suture it is unlikely that you can bovi so no bovi no dissecting which means you will be a certified retractor holder.

Tommy Littlefoot in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

I am an SA and worked in NY state, I learned to suture there as well as do a lot more, I was much much more than a retractor holder. I cannot speak for California but your info for NY state is mistaken

CSA in West Bloomfield, Michigan

70 months ago

Thanks for the updated information, the above information was from a 2002 conference addendent

RN in Fountain Valley, California

69 months ago

JasLyd in Richmond, Virginia said: Damn AORN I believe got it passed that you have to be an RNFA in California.....I am a firm believer that AORN is a cult....

Scrub techs do not have enough education or medical background to be first assistants. You must have working knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology in order to be able to make decisions related to patient care and safety. First assistaing does not just involve suturing..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

RN in Fountain Valley, California said: Scrub techs do not have enough education or medical background to be first assistants. You must have working knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology in order to be able to make decisions related to patient care and safety. First assistaing does not just involve suturing..

There is a pretty big difference between a "scrub tech" and a "surgical assistant" I was trained in the military and trained to work in a very high stress envoironment, much higher than a level 1 trauma center (there are usually no RPG's coming at you in a hospital) also I work with RNFA's at my current hospital and you can ask any surgeon there who they would rather have in their procedure, myself- a CSA, or any one of the RNFA'a and I assure you they will choose me. Like I said before AORN consists of a bunch of RN's that are insecure about their job security and want to make themselves look more educated and important than what they really are. I am sure most of you will agree with me when I say that you cannot learn common sense in a nursing course. I have worked with a lot of very good RNFA'a but I have worked with many more CSA's that are much better with their hands, you can learn all the information in the world but if you cant put it into practice with your hands, it means absolutely nothing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Stony Brook, New York

69 months ago

Scrub techs do not have enough education or medical background to be first assistants? how much more than techs do yo think an RN knows? How much "medical background" do you think all nurses have? I work with nurses all day and let me tell ya' Thay can be replaced by a data entry clerk and a gopher. "medical background", duhh.
Youve just insulted every tech everywhere. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thats funny Bob, all of the nurses I work with just sit at computer all day and do charges, they just make sure the hospital gets paid! When they have a question related to the procedure..... they ask me, the surgical assistant!! I cant tell you the number of times when doing a Laparoscopic Appendectomy, I have been asked by the RN "what do you want to call the specimen?" or "is this going for frozen?" Like I said earlier, you cant teach common sense. And after I easily passed my CSA exam, one of our RN's took the exam and FAILED!!!! So much for all of that education. Like I had said in my earlier post, AORN are just a bunch of nurses who want to make themselves look more important than what they really are. PS- Dont get me wrong, not all nurses are like this, I work with some very good nurses too, but 75% of them I wouldnt trust with my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Stony Brook, New York

69 months ago

AORN has done a job on us alright. Its all about job security and articles in nursing spectrum magazine about the dangers of the dissapearing OR nurse make them feel thretned and take action to minamise our Contribution and with it, our pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OR2dox in Scottsdale, Arizona

69 months ago

In my humble opinion, surgical assisting ORIGINALLY is a job for doctors, surgeons in particular, as stated by the American College of Surgeons, but who in the right mind will be in that position if they are doctors in private practice if they will just be surgical assistants? Hence, SA's was born... With the shortage in nurses still on the rise nationwide here in the US, I just don't understand why nurses are still eyeing on SA's. While theres a lot more jobs hanging around.

The playing field is not level guys...First, there are foreign-trained physicians/surgeons turned SA's, by virtue of NON- US LICENSED, they cannot practice obviously here in the US, equally competent being doctors in their own country of origin but still, they cannot get into any SA jobs... there are Scrubs Techs turned SA's, again another equally competent based on their previous work experience. In fairness and with due respect to RN turned SA's History speaks that nurses never do surgical first assisting. They are either PACU nurses, Circulating Nurses, OR nurses, Scrub nurses. Why take on this new territory called surgical assistant?

I think this issue has to be addressed higher up...its unfair and unjust. If we really care for the safety of the patient in surgery the sole beneficiary of our expert care then someone/somebody has to determine who the ideal "wing-man" should be in the OR theater.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

surgerygirl in Rome, Georgia

68 months ago

I have read all of the above comments and would have to agree with most. After I was insulted by an RN, I decided to weigh in. I work for a private hospital in GA. After I finished my Surgical Assistant training I was MORE knowledgeable then the RN's in ALL areas of study. I have many friends that are RN's and I'm not bashing. It seems funny to me that I hold the same number of years in college as an RN but was just insulted by one. I will tell you the facility I work at the ONLY RN that can administer local anesthesia are the ones in Pre-op. Kind of funny when I can use local and start 75% of all A-lines. We start IV's when needed, insert A-lines(both femoral and radial), shave and prep the patient,make incisions,clamp,tie,cut,bovie,clip,suture,and help with post op care when needed. We also take endo vein and do our own radial artery harvesting without the surgeon. Needless to say when in a discussion about anatomy,physiology and anesthesia I can run circles around any RN. The RN program was not designed for any specific department, you are taught basic skills such as: IV's, charting, basic drug info, vital signs and the rest you learn OJT. We also are required to have ACLS where as most RN's aren't. I do believe RN's can make good CFA's after completing a First Assistant program but will be years behind in skills and knowledge. I will part with this.... The only Assistants that make up the group I work with are CFA's and PA's that went to UAB (A PA program that specializes in surgery) We did have two RN's that were accepted to an CAAHEP surgical assisting program, one failed out and the other one is attempting to pass the CFA exam this second go round'. I'm grateful for the state of California...building ego's and delusion's one under qualified RN at a time!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

Where did you finish your training for Surgical Assistant ? How did you find the hospital ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I finished my training at Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting. It is located in Nashville TN and you do your training at Vanderbilt Hospital. I was working as a Scrub Tech for 3 years before at the same hospital when I applied to the CFA program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

H-T- in Miami, Florida

68 months ago

Surgerygirl, out of curiosity, do the graduates of UAB have anything over you in terms of authority or salary?

68 months ago

H-T- in Miami, Florida said: Surgerygirl, out of curiosity, do the graduates of UAB have anything over you in terms of authority or salary?

They make a little more then I do. Don't know if that has to do with the fact that they have been there longer or that they sometimes have to write an Rx or two. The RNFA'S make the same as the CFA's. Everyone is treated as an equal, we are a team and work like one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rebecca mull in Bonne Terre, Missouri

65 months ago

RN in Fountain Valley, California said: Scrub techs do not have enough education or medical background to be first assistants. You must have working knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology in order to be able to make decisions related to patient care and safety. First assistaing does not just involve suturing..

I have been a CST for 10+years and am currently a CST/CFA. I assure you I have a very extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology,microbiology,medical terminology,psychology,etc..as evidenced by my graduating at the top of my class and passing my CFA exam with flying colors. I would be willing to bet that you might have a tougher time filling my shoes than you think. I have to keep my education up to date and all you really have to do is send in a check every few years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benn in Tucson, Arizona

65 months ago

rebecca mull in Bonne Terre, Missouri said: I have been a CST for 10+years and am currently a CST/CFA. I assure you I have a very extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology,microbiology,medical terminology,psychology,etc..as evidenced by my graduating at the top of my class and passing my CFA exam with flying colors. I would be willing to bet that you might have a tougher time filling my shoes than you think. I have to keep my education up to date and all you really have to do is send in a check every few years.

LMAO. I hoped that this wouldn't ever come up on this forum. I had over 17 years experience as a CST and had Associate degree RN's trying to tell me what to do and treating me like I was less than because I wasn't "licenced". Even now, I come accross RNFA's who think that they are superior. I've got a BS in Health Science, went through a 2 year CFA program with over 500 clinical hours, nationally certifed, have co-authored closed to 20 scientific journal articles and I have RN's who have never scrubbed and went through a 3 week course telling me I'm not qualified. Not to start a flame war, but, give me a fooking break.
Glad to get that off my chest!!
BRAVO Rebecca!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shemuel-Benn Psalms in Tucson, Arizona

65 months ago

Oh, it was AORN lobbying that passed the legislation making it only possible for RNFA's to be reimbursed for medicare/medicaid cases, however, the MAN decided to go one step further and mandate that only MASTER leverl RNFA's or PA's can bill. So, by trying to push everyone else out and corner the market, they shot themselves in the foot since the majority of RNFA's are not master level. HA HA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

experienced in Sloughhouse, California

63 months ago

Joe in Westminster, Colorado said: I am a Certified Surgical Assistant in Colorado looking to relocate in California, does surgical assisting even exist in Calli? Who does that job PA's or RNFA's, would like to hear from someone who lives or works there.

My suggestion is to stay out of Ca as a CSA or CFA for the Ca Nursing Association (union) has managed to to keep your positions pretty much nil all over the state. You might find a few positions in the LA area but good luck looking up north in SF or Sac. Mostly PA's and a few RNFA's up there. Healthcare in Ca has come to a standstill the past 5 years as the RN's now make a doctor's salary at the expense of every one beneath them. In order for the hospitals to deal with these exorbitant salaries they have cut staff, capital budgets for every dept. and kept salaries low for non nursing personal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Liz RNFA in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

63 months ago

JasLyd in Richmond, Virginia said: Damn AORN I believe got it passed that you have to be an RNFA in California.....I am a firm believer that AORN is a cult....

I wouldn't go so far as to say the AORN is a cult. But I do feel, from many years of experience, that AORN is a very misguided organization that has caused many negative affects to patients and health care workers alike. They fight for all the wrong reasons, they lobby over money and territorial issues (who cares if a tech helps a nurse out we should be there for the PATIENT) in the end patient care suffers and AORN has proved itself to be nothing more than a money making machine ran by self righteous peoples who refuse to see any wrong in their ways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RNFA in Wayne, New Jersey

62 months ago

I'd have to agree w/Liz. Sadly, AORN has taken the real focus off of the patient and patient safety and instead lobbies for $$. Aside from that, I feel there's a lot of negative vibes here toward RNs. Naturally, I would like to have a little say in all this RN bashing.

I am one of the few non-self righteous RNs who loves working with CSA/CFA/CSTs! I know and appreciate their vast knowledge and skills, and I enjoy their stories/experiences. Most everyone here seems to forget that all of our efforts are for the patients.

When it comes to the O.R., yes, you CSA/CFA/CSTs know your A&P up at the field. But, you forget, you're at the field. That RN on the computer has her own crap to do as well. She's juggling blood/blood product orders/administrations, critical labs, stat blood draws/fingersticks, equipment issues, charges, implants/sizers, meds/mixing meds, accurate measurements of I&Os, managing the support assistants, etc., and all the while she's also delivering whatever you/your surgeon(s) need intra-op. Yes, some do just sit and stare at the computer, but most of the time, their juggling several issues simultaneously.

And to Tommy Littlefoot: Yes, duh, Lap Appy you automatically ASSUME it's called an appendix and that it's routine (formalin) specimen. But, guess what?! Our job as RNs is NEVER TO ASSUME! That's what makes the difference between us! We as RNs/CST/CFA/CSA should all care in being accurate. I had 2 case where, yes, it was called an appendix, but it needed to be sent as FROZEN for suspicious anatomy, and another for pt's history of liver cancer w/possible mets. I had 1 case too where it was called appendix w/portion of colon. So, you see. Assuming gets people in trouble.

I see that all of you are very talented and knowledgeable at your profession. But, please, don't assume the RNs know/do nothing. And, remember, we're all apart of the OR team. Each and every member brings something to the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeepcc333 in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

61 months ago

I am a Navy trained Surg Tech.. for almost 10 years now. I am looking at NIFA"s program. Do you know if I can use my GI Bill ?? I'm having a hard time getting the info. Any advice for programs?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Broomfield, Colorado

61 months ago

Yes NIFA is a good program and so is Merridian. I live in Colorado where surgical assisting is as good as it gets. We get to so much in the OR. It is definitly the next step you want to take in your career.

Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Broomfield, Colorado

61 months ago

Bob you obviously have no clue. I am a SA-C in Colorado, and I will tell you there are not very many nurses who could do my job. I have the education, knowledge, and the experience to be a first assist. Surgical Techs are the back bone of the OR and it is sad that the nurses don't give more techs and assistants (who were techs and have had the proper training to be comes assists) more credit. We are all on the same team, but when the Nurse needs to know something in the OR who is the resource she goes too? Hmmm the Tech, and that is because that person is in the trenches. They know the specimens, drugs, instruments, and the flow of the surgery to be the most helpful in that procedure. They know where the instruments are kept, supplies, and how to run most of the equipment in the room. It is a shame that they are not paid in equal to nurses or more for all the crap they have to put with, and especially from elitist ppl like you BOB. Sure nurses may be registered by the state, but the ones that I work with and have met that little piece of paper don't add up to squat when in the OR and on the job. They are pushing nurses through now and most are not qualified to be one. I only wish is that one day our profession will gain the respect we deserve from AORN!!! Keep up the great work my fellow techs and know that you can and should one day strive to be a Surgical Assistant. The knowledge you posses is valuable and can used by alot of thankful surgeons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Jacksonville, Florida

61 months ago

I have been A Surgical Technologist for about 12 years. Have done the traveling thing. I've been doing CV & PV surgery for most of my career. We were all trained alike on the table,RNs and CSTs, to suture tie, and close. The only thing I did not do was inject drugs, or start iv's. I can tell you that in my current job the nurses I work with have no issue with me shooting a cholangiogram/IVC with iv contrast. After all I am not a practitioner, but just following directions of the physician, while under supervision. I don't dislike AORN, however they would work with the AST on a mutual basis.

61 months ago

An interesting article from a Surgical Technology Program, like the one I graduated from.

As the Director of Surgical Technology I have to disagree with some of this. The preferred model of education for Surgical Technologists as put forth by The Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) is the associates degree. Here at Collin College our S.T. students actually take more A&P prerequisite than our A.D.N. students. Additionally they are required to take Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology (specific to surgery), Surgical Pharmacology and Physics in addition to the required coursework and clinical work for S.T. and the general studies requirements for the AAS degree. Our students complete 68 hours of college credit and take 2 years to do it. The program is very similar to the nursing program in scope and difficulty. This is in fact the trend in Surgical Technology and we expect a movement currently in progress in AST to begin to gain momentum and make the AAS required for certification within the next few years. Also, several hospitals in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have used S.T.'s to circulate. An S.T. is assigned to a room and 1 R.N. is assigned to cover 2 or 3 rooms for licensed functions. It is a changing world due to the pressures placed on the healthcare system. It will be very interesting to see what the future offers.

Rodney Jensen Jr in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

Kaiser Permanente in the Denver Area has 2 fulltime SA positions available right now. Go to KP.ORG and check out the job seekers link.

cbsurg in North Aurora, Illinois

60 months ago

Jeff in Jacksonville, Florida said: An interesting article from a Surgical Technology Program, like the one I graduated from.

As the Director of Surgical Technology I have to disagree with some of this. The preferred model of education for Surgical Technologists as put forth by The Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) is the associates degree. Here at Collin College our S.T. students actually take more A&P prerequisite than our A.D.N. students. Additionally they are required to take Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology (specific to surgery), Surgical Pharmacology and Physics in addition to the required coursework and clinical work for S.T. and the general studies requirements for the AAS degree. Our students complete 68 hours of college credit and take 2 years to do it. The program is very similar to the nursing program in scope and difficulty. This is in fact the trend in Surgical Technology and we expect a movement currently in progress in AST to begin to gain momentum and make the AAS required for certification within the next few years. Also, several hospitals in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have used S.T.'s to circulate. An S.T. is assigned to a room and 1 R.N. is assigned to cover 2 or 3 rooms for licensed functions. It is a changing world due to the pressures placed on the healthcare system. It will be very interesting to see what the future offers.

Hello. Im in chicago looking to relocate to jacksonville area due to wifes transfer. How is the job market down there?Im a CFA with 10+ years exp. I would really like some honest info about the florida market.

60 months ago

Honestly there is not a real market for CST/CFA or RNFA. This place is crawling with Surgical PA-C's and a company of PA's who contract out sprecifically for assisting, since reimbursement is no sweat. Having been a Heart scrub for 10+ years, most mejor medical centers I worked in acknowledged the credential mentioned above, but did not hire for them. As a scrub you know we work in an assisting role 75% of the time. We tie, suture, cut, clip everything..

Good luck

Pinolillo in Fairfield, California

60 months ago

You must go back to school and get a formal education and become licensed, like an RN. Otherwise, regardless of your experience it is illegal for you to cut, clip etc....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

You cut the same suture as me pal! Sounds like you should go back to get your Masters for ARNP. A little more Education could do you well.

H-T- in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

Jeff in Jacksonville, Florida said: You cut the same suture as me pal! Sounds like you should go back to get your Masters for ARNP. A little more Education could do you well.

Oops. Before we all lose our cool, let's get clear that different states have different laws. Pinolillo is in California. His/her statement was based on California law; that is, in CA you actually do have to be credentialed to cut, clip, etc. On the other hand, Jeff is in Florida, a state where many STs are physician-trained to assist in surgery.

60 months ago

Well stated. It's important to remenber we all have a vital role in the Operating Room, no matter what your title is. It's good to acknowledge the excelence of others, especially when your a good Nurse or Surgical Technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seriously?????? in Richmond, Virginia

56 months ago

Pinolillo in Fairfield, California said: You must go back to school and get a formal education and become licensed, like an RN. Otherwise, regardless of your experience it is illegal for you to cut, clip etc....

what???? seriously??? Illegal??? So many things wrong with your statement, we can do NEARLY anything the surgeon allows us to do. I have clamped aortas, sewn in grafts, made ACLs, put a bone flap back in a skull and closed it up. Man, I have broken the law sooo many times, I think I'm just going to turn myself in tomorrow.... I can't stay on the run forever!!! Moron

H-T- in Miami, Florida

55 months ago

Seriously?????? in Richmond, Virginia said: what???? seriously??? Illegal??? So many things wrong with your statement, we can do NEARLY anything the surgeon allows us to do. I have clamped aortas, sewn in grafts, made ACLs, put a bone flap back in a skull and closed it up. Man, I have broken the law sooo many times, I think I'm just going to turn myself in tomorrow.... I can't stay on the run forever!!! Moron

Again, Pinolillo is in California. In California, there are stricter regulations regarding who can fill the position of First Assistant in the OR. In Virginia, CSAs are likely the norm.

CFA in Grand Junction, Colorado

54 months ago

experienced in Sloughhouse, California said: My suggestion is to stay out of Ca as a CSA or CFA for the Ca Nursing Association (union) has managed to to keep your positions pretty much nil all over the state. You might find a few positions in the LA area but good luck looking up north in SF or Sac. Mostly PA's and a few RNFA's up there. Healthcare in Ca has come to a standstill the past 5 years as the RN's now make a doctor's salary at the expense of every one beneath them. In order for the hospitals to deal with these exorbitant salaries they have cut staff, capital budgets for every dept. and kept salaries low for non nursing personal.

I believe the new team members for AST and ASA are trying everything they can to change some things in CA, it will be a slow and painful process. If you are a member please stand behind them and give the support that they need, That we need to get us the recognition that we have worked our asses off for! and to be able to earn the salaries we deserve.

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Interesting news I found out today...Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting now has a pathway for an Associates Degree in addition to their certificate program. More and more states are trending to an associates degree requirement for licensure, Texas already has it, and now you can complete all the requirements by taking merdian's program! NIFA is no longer accepting students as their program fails to meet the necessary standards and they are trying to do an end run to sell their inferior product BEWARE!! ACESA is "restructuring" according to their website...why would this be necessary unless their program can't meet up to the standards as is?? As someone who did a lengthy amount of homework before I joined I am proud to be a Meridian graduate and promote such an awesome program!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura CSFA in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Jeff in Jacksonville, Florida said: An interesting article from a Surgical Technology Program, like the one I graduated from.

I have worked in the Fort Worth area for 30 years and know of no hospital that allows techs to circulate. I am not sure where you heard this but it is inaccurate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CFA in Eugene, Oregon

47 months ago

First of all you said scrub techs, this post is about CFA/CSAs. I have been a CFA for 20 years and have worked with MANY RNs that have no clue about anatomy, physiology or pathophysiology. MOST couldn't scrub ANY procedure let alone assist on one. I challenge any CNOR to take the Certification exam that CFAs take and pass it on the first attempt. Your just another RN that feels threatened by CFAs.

leila tajvar in Gainesville, Florida

47 months ago

CFA in Eugene, oregon. Very well said. RNs have no clue as to what this position is all about. Unfortunately RNs are getting very broad here for no reason and they do not even have the knowledge needed to assist in the case. It is very sad to see this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JSPL in Las Vegas, Nevada

47 months ago

Well i mean, what's the difference between CFA and CSA? and what about an RNFA don't they have the knowledge to do the things Eugene said? I'm just wondering, because i want to study for either of those but i don't know which one is better.

CFA in Eugene in Eugene, Oregon

47 months ago

CFAs and CSAs are the same. The only difference is which organization you get your credentials from. RNFAs do have the knowledge and is a great avenue also. I would do my research and see which fits your situation better. I suggest NBSTSA (National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting). Check out AST.org for the link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JSPL in Las Vegas, Nevada

47 months ago

Yeah thanks, because i always read about surgeons preferring RNFA's over CFA's so i don't know what to go for :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Ashburn, Virginia

47 months ago

JSPL in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yeah thanks, because i always read about surgeons preferring RNFA's over CFA's so i don't know what to go for :(

actually I've found it's quite the opposite, I was a traveler for years and have worked in 14 different hospitals, I'd say that 95% of the surgeons I have worked with preferred a CSA over an RNFA, of course it all depends on who your CSA is, there are some people out there who should never even have contact with patients, but I have found that there are many, many more unqualified RNFAs than CSAs

ygs in Neenah, Wisconsin

47 months ago

Hi, I am a interested in becoming a SA and was wondering what the difference between NSAA and CSA is. Can someone please advise me on a good program and which certification to apply for. Thank you.

CSA in Lumberton, North Carolina

44 months ago

Tommy Littlefoot in Richmond, Virginia said: There is a pretty big difference between a "scrub tech" and a "surgical assistant" I was trained in the military and trained to work in a very high stress envoironment, much higher than a level 1 trauma center (there are usually no RPG's coming at you in a hospital) also I work with RNFA's at my current hospital and you can ask any surgeon there who they would rather have in their procedure, myself- a CSA, or any one of the RNFA'a and I assure you they will choose me. Like I said before AORN consists of a bunch of RN's that are insecure about their job security and want to make themselves look more educated and important than what they really are. I am sure most of you will agree with me when I say that you cannot learn common sense in a nursing course. I have worked with a lot of very good RNFA'a but I have worked with many more CSA's that are much better with their hands, you can learn all the information in the world but if you cant put it into practice with your hands, it means absolutely nothing

I totally agree with this comment. I am a CST,CSA who assists in cardio-thoracic surgery. I was a tech for 14 years before I decided to become an SA. I had spent most of those years scrubbing nothing but hearts. The surgeon I work with depends on me more in the OR than the Surgical PA that we have. I have actually taught her more of the procedure than he has. In reality I know the cases just as well as the surgeon does and and he has actually adopted a lot of the tricks and things that I shared with him. I have actually been working in heart surgery longer than he has. I actually spend a lot of my time teaching the RN's about the procedures we do in the OR as well. I agree with you about AORN. They just seem to come up with all kinds of crap in an attempt to make them look superior to everyone else. My wife who is the Chief Perfusionist at our heart center has the same sentiments when it comes to AORN.

Rufus McGill in Lumberton, North Carolina

44 months ago

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas said: Interesting news I found out today...Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting now has a pathway for an Associates Degree in addition to their certificate program. More and more states are trending to an associates degree requirement for licensure, Texas already has it, and now you can complete all the requirements by taking merdian's program! NIFA is no longer accepting students as their program fails to meet the necessary standards and they are trying to do an end run to sell their inferior product BEWARE!! ACESA is "restructuring" according to their website...why would this be necessary unless their program can't meet up to the standards as is?? As someone who did a lengthy amount of homework before I joined I am proud to be a Meridian graduate and promote such an awesome program!!

I too am a Meridian grad and did a lot of research. I had been heavily warned about NIFA and was glad I made the decision to join Meridian. Dennis Stover and those guys do an awesome job. It was worth every penny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.