Which states employ Surgical Assistants?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Kelly in Chesapeake, Virginia

76 months ago

I am getting ready to start an SA program in Virginia. I have heard that some states dont employs SA's and I was curious about which states did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tamodio in Honolulu, Hawaii

74 months ago

To my knowledge, TN, HI, CO, WI, IL, VA, FL, TX, CA(2nd assist only unless you're an RN), MA..... The pay varies quite a bit, you may want to research before relocating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tamodio in Honolulu, Hawaii

72 months ago

Dennis Marrero in Houston, Texas said: Are there any openings in Hawaii for Surgical Assistants?

yes, I know of one at my facility. Queen's Medical Center

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JasLyd

71 months ago

tamodio in Honolulu, Hawaii said: To my knowledge, TN, HI, CO, WI, IL, VA, FL, TX, CA(2nd assist only unless you're an RN), MA..... The pay varies quite a bit, you may want to research before relocating.

Pretty much all of the states listed above DO employ Surgical assistants. The only one I know of that requires you to be an RN is California. I am a CSA employed in Virginia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tori in Annapolis, Maryland

71 months ago

tamodio in Honolulu, Hawaii said: To my knowledge, TN, HI, CO, WI, IL, VA, FL, TX, CA(2nd assist only unless you're an RN), MA..... The pay varies quite a bit, you may want to research before relocating.

you can 1st assist in VA and the pay is good, also in MD,GA,FL,IL,TX,OH,MA,DE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

jergillespie

68 months ago

Does anyone know the status of oregon with SA's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

grace marquez in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

67 months ago

jergillespie said: Does anyone know the status of oregon with SA's?

you can work as an SA in oregon you do not need to be an RN i worked in Portland a few years back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Rochester, Michigan

67 months ago

I have a friend in Michigan who works as a surgical assistant, so obviously you can put MI on the list. He is not an RN but probably makes more (or at least the same) as a typical RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Rochester, Michigan

67 months ago

Let me clarify - works as a First Surgical Assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jergillespie in Cincinnati, Ohio

67 months ago

does anyone know if you can practice in Oregon as an SA?

67 months ago

sorry for the double post about oregon. I lost track of my posting. Please forgive me.
Jeremy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Grace,
Which hospital did you work at in portland? I am very intersted in moving my family back to the west coast, but I need to know if I will be able to earn a living above and beyond a scrub tech. I have been an assistant for about 5 years and I am currently doing Cardiac. Got any leads?

Sergio in Guatemala City, Guatemala

60 months ago

Im a surgeon in my country, but I need to move my family to Texas, my Wife and my sons are american citizens, and I need to know about de job SA in Texas, specialty in San Antonio or Houston, Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

monica rivera in Orlando, Florida

58 months ago

can any body give me any info how to find SA job in orlando area i have just moved from VA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

djhughes017 in Fresno, California

57 months ago

Here is a great website that you can visit to find out more information regarding surgical assistants: www.surgicalassistantresource.org. There is also a job board which you can post a resume to free of charge. And to answer this question, all states hire and employ allied health Non-Physician Surgical Assistants. However, the scope is limited and jobs are hard to find in California, and it is even worse in New York. Currently Texas, Illinois, Kentucky, and Washington DC have active legislation for licensure/state registration and insurance reimbursement. Soon, we will see Arizona and Virginia added to that list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodney Jensen Jr in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

Kaiser Permanente in the Denver Area has 2 fulltime SA positions available right now. Go to KP.ORG and check out the job seekers link.

ga_sun in Cartersville, Georgia

56 months ago

which school did you attend for SA training?

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia

56 months ago

There is no school in Georgia for SA training !!! I was looking for it too.

djhughes017 in Tulare, California

56 months ago

ga_sun in Cartersville, Georgia said: which school did you attend for SA training?

Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting

56 months ago

...this is not in Georgia though

djhughes017 in Fresno, California

56 months ago

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia said: ...this is not in Georgia though

There are no CAAHEP accredited programs in GA. Meridian is online.

56 months ago

yes, it is Meridian online, but how can you get the training after that ? How do you find the hospitals to accept you for training ?

djhughes017 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

56 months ago

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia said: yes, it is Meridian online, but how can you get the training after that ? How do you find the hospitals to accept you for training ?

You need to work with your local hospitals (preferrably your employer) to establish a clinical site partnership with the school. Then, you will have to find surgeons in various specialties to sponsor you as your preceptors. This should not be difficult to do in Georgia, but will require some leg-work on your part. But this is necessary in order to get the clinical cases and hands-on training completed. You will also have to plan on spending a week in Nashville in order to attend your lab and take your proctored final exam before being able to start your clinical rotations. You really should contact the shcool directly for more information. www.meridian-institute.com.

56 months ago

Actually I took ACESA ( American Center for Excellence in Surgical Assisting )classes and they did not help me to find the hospitals. As long as your school does not have a contract with certain hospitals to guarantee you that you can take your clinical rotations, I don't think you can convince any hospital by yourself to allow you to do your clinical rotations.

56 months ago

I'm trying very hard to get a hospital for my clinical rotations!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

djhughes017 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

56 months ago

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia said: Actually I took ACESA ( American Center for Excellence in Surgical Assisting )classes and they did not help me to find the hospitals. As long as your school does not have a contract with certain hospitals to guarantee you that you can take your clinical rotations, I don't think you can convince any hospital by yourself to allow you to do your clinical rotations.

Meridian has a great staff that is very helpful. They worked with me and my hospital to facilitate the process. You just need to contact them. They may already have a contract on file with your facility, you just never know.

ericgrif5 in Denver, Colorado

56 months ago

I know SA' are employed in Denver, CO. I am working on my courses through Meridian and will attend the lab in February. Some hospitals will allow students to log cases but I am finding that surgery centers are a good start as well.

dsherman in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

56 months ago

Sergio in Guatemala City, Guatemala said: Im a surgeon in my country, but I need to move my family to Texas, my Wife and my sons are american citizens, and I need to know about de job SA in Texas, specialty in San Antonio or Houston, Thanks

Did you work as the Orthopdeic Coordinator in Sandusky Ohio?

Sergio in Guatemala City, Guatemala

55 months ago

No, I didnt, I was working like a Surgeon Chief in Social Security Hospital in Guatemala, and a i was did a transplant felow in Monterrey, Mexico, now I am a Director in PUBLIC HEALTH IN Guatemala, but i need to move me to Texas.

Nicholas in Honolulu, Hawaii

54 months ago

Mia Talau in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm trying very hard to get a hospital for my clinical rotations!

Don't give up. There are many facilities that will support educational growth, including... Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting. The program is outstanding and most helpful. And of course, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP). I'll be more than happy to help you with what I can. Good luck.

Paul Taft ST in Placentia, California

53 months ago

Hello! Totally new to 2 things. Surgical Teching and blogs! :-) This is the first blog ive bcome a member of. I just was maybe looking for some advise, im starting school at Concord U in San Diego in August. Its something im very interested in doing and am not sure what the market has to offer. Does anyone know anyone who is a Surgical Tech in San Diego and low lucrative of a market is it?

Denise in Harvey, Illinois

51 months ago

We are looking to hire Surgical Assistant immediately. You must be within 30 minutes of Mercy Hospital on the southwest side of Chicago, Illinois and have your Surgical Assistant license for the State of Illinois or have it in process. This is an on-call position 10 days per month. If you can meet all these criteria please send your resume to kathyschwertfeger@hotmail.com

Nav in Herndon, Virginia

51 months ago

JasLyd said: Pretty much all of the states listed above DO employ Surgical assistants. The only one I know of that requires you to be an RN is California. I am a CSA employed in Virginia

please I want to introduce myself to other surgical assistants (certified) in VA or DC area. I am looking for a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

djhughes017 in Visalia, California

51 months ago

Nav in Herndon, Virginia said: please I want to introduce myself to other surgical assistants (certified) in VA or DC area. I am looking for a job

You should join up with the Association of Surgical Assistants. We have many networking opportunities available. One of which is our Face Book page. You can also network by attending our upcoming educational opportunities and the ASA national conference next year. We have many members and contacts within the DC and NOVA area. Also, I know that Sentara is hiring in Southern VA. Good luck to you.

Nav in Herndon, Virginia

51 months ago

Thank you please keep me posted if you see any openings in the dc area and particularly illinois state as I have license in that.
Thanks
Nav

Nav in Herndon, Virginia

51 months ago

Kelly in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I am getting ready to start an SA program in Virginia. I have heard that some states dont employs SA's and I was curious about which states did.

Kelly I am a SA certified and looking for job openings in virginia. As a matter of fact anywhere I can get. I have illinois state license. please help me if you have any info regarding vacant spots.

Brunetta in Markham, Illinois

51 months ago

We are looking to hire Surgical Assistant immediately. You must be within 30 minutes of Mercy Hospital on the southwest side of Chicago, Illinois and have your Surgical Assistant license for the State of Illinois or have it in process. This is an on-call position 10 days per month. If you can meet all these criteria please send your resume to brunettab@hotmail.com

Lanky Franky, CST in Newton, New Jersey

51 months ago

I'm considering signing up with a Surgical Assistant program, but I'm concerned about the job market... are SA's (or CFAs) being phased out by Surgical Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners? I hope not. Either way, I'm going to have to relocate in order to practice, because RN's can only assist in NJ as far as I know.

cfh in illinois in Tinley Park, Illinois

46 months ago

trying to find pay scale that is for surgical assistants in Illinois, central area. Our hospital would like to resign to keeping our pay as a surgical tech. We have over 20 yrs experience and are really overworked and underpaid and also are getting very tired of doing all the PAs work on the weekends. Any one out there have any good resource to help us?

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

Pay varies from state to state, and from SA job to SA job. Also, depending on years of experience. I keep track of SA pay all across the country, and found that you'll make more if certified. Also, speciality areas like Ortho, Cardiovascular, and some other areas make more. In the states of Kentucky, Illinois, and Texas you can be "licensed" as well. Nearly all states you can bill insurance companies, but not for Medicare. Bottom line, SA's pay should be above the surgical technologist pay. It's a higher skill level and more responsibility. Cost of living varies from location to location, but I would say, at a minimum, in the state of Illinois, in the central area, you should make at least $34.00-35.00 per hour. If you specialize, or have additional skills like endo vein harvest, you would warrant $40.00 or more an hour.

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

Pay varies from state to state, and from SA job to SA job. Also, depending on years of experience. I keep track of SA pay all across the country, and found that you'll make more if certified. Also, speciality areas like Ortho, Cardiovascular, and some other areas make more. In the states of Kentucky, Illinois, and Texas you can be "licensed" as well. Nearly all states you can bill insurance companies, but not for Medicare. Bottom line, SA's pay should be above the surgical technologist pay. It's a higher skill level and more responsibility. Cost of living varies from location to location, but I would say, at a minimum, in the state of Illinois, in the central area, you should make at least $34.00-35.00 per hour. If you specialize, or have additional skills like endo vein harvest, you would warrant $40.00 or more an hour.

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

cfh in illinois in Tinley Park, Illinois said: trying to find pay scale that is for surgical assistants in Illinois, central area. Our hospital would like to resign to keeping our pay as a surgical tech. We have over 20 yrs experience and are really overworked and underpaid and also are getting very tired of doing all the PAs work on the weekends. Any one out there have any good resource to help us?

Rodney Jensen Jr in Denver, Colorado

46 months ago

CFA1 in Kentucky said: Pay varies from state to state, and from SA job to SA job. Also, depending on years of experience. I keep track of SA pay all across the country, and found that you'll make more if certified. Also, speciality areas like Ortho, Cardiovascular, and some other areas make more. In the states of Kentucky, Illinois, and Texas you can be "licensed" as well. Nearly all states you can bill insurance companies, but not for Medicare. Bottom line, SA's pay should be above the surgical technologist pay. It's a higher skill level and more responsibility. Cost of living varies from location to location, but I would say, at a minimum, in the state of Illinois, in the central area, you should make at least $34.00-35.00 per hour. If you specialize, or have additional skills like endo vein harvest, you would warrant $40.00 or more an hour.

Could you send me your list of SA salaries that you've compiled?

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

jergillespie in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Grace,
Which hospital did you work at in portland? I am very intersted in moving my family back to the west coast, but I need to know if I will be able to earn a living above and beyond a scrub tech. I have been an assistant for about 5 years and I am currently doing Cardiac. Got any leads?

Try the hospital in Medford, Oregon. They were looking for a cardiothoracic surgical first assistant.

46 months ago

Are you currently in Oregon? I will look into hospitals in medford, thanks.

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

Rodney Jensen Jr in Denver, Colorado said: Could you send me your list of SA salaries that you've compiled?

Like I said earlier, pay varies widly based on experience, speciality, cost of living, particular area, and needs of hospital. If you catch a hospital with a immediate need, you can get more pay. I based these numbers on confidental conversations, and emails with other SA's. These are hourly figures in this list. Some SA's are paid hourly with added on call pay, overtime pay. Some SA's are paid a salary which includes everything. Despite the method of pay, I averaged out the pay into hourly factoring in OT if hourly. Some of the numbers are a year or two old so they could have gone up or down. Hope this helps:

STATE SA's Licensed
Alabama NA
Alaska
Arizona 45.25
Arkansas
California NA NP, PA, RNFA
Colorado 42.75
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida 31.75
Georgia 32.00 Can not EndoVein
Hawaii 45.00
Idaho
Illinois 34.00 Yes
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky 40.00 Yes
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan 38.25
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana 31.00
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina 33.50
North Dakota
Ohio 39.25
Oklahoma
Oregon 45.00
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina 40.00
South Dakota
Tennessee 38.00
Texas 44.00 Yes
Utah 40.00
Vermont
Virginia 32.70
Washington
West Virginia NA
Wisconsin 36.00
Wyoming 29.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

jergillespie in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Are you currently in Oregon? I will look into hospitals in medford, thanks.

No, not in Oregon.
I just looked on their site, and don't see the opening, but email
Barbara.Worthington@providence.org
and she might be able to help you.

CFA1 in Kentucky

46 months ago

jergillespie in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Are you currently in Oregon? I will look into hospitals in medford, thanks.

I also know of a couple openings in open heart in Arizona, and one in Las Vegas (at least gets you on this side of the country) if interested....

Good Luck!

Shemuel-Benn Psalms in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

Surgical First Assist
Tucson Medical Center
Tucson Medical Center

You can view and apply for this job at:
access2.tmcaz.com/psc/hrprd2/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=305415&SiteId=100&PostingSeq=1

I just came accross this. i don't know anything about the position, so contact TMC.

djhughes017

43 months ago

Would you mind posting this link to the association OS surgical assistants Facebook page?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.