some questions about becoming a CSA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Mel in Goose Creek, South Carolina

103 months ago

I am a CST looking into training to become a CFA or CSA and had a few questions for those of you who already practicing as surgical assistants. I know you cannot bill medicare or medicaid, so how do you get paid on cases where that is what the patient has? Also, I live in South Carolina. CFA's and CSA's are allowed to work in the state, however, I know they are not widely used in this area, and hospitals do not specifically employ them, but I'm wanting to do freelance work anyways. It seems like most surgeons work with PA's instead. I'm not sure if that's just because there aren't many CSA's here (I'm pretty sure there aren't very many at all)or if they just prefer PA's. Does anyone have experience with starting out in an area where CSA's aren't commonly used? How do you compete with PA's? I'm just wanting to get some info before I sign up for classes.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

DW Kunckel CSA in Toledo, Ohio

103 months ago

Go to nsaa.net, this site will answer all questions and there is a toll free phone Number. Good Luck

Reply - Report abuse

linda miller,cst,cfa,cnor,rnfa in Port Clinton, Ohio

103 months ago

Mel in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: I am a CST looking into training to become a CFA or CSA and had a few questions for those of you who already practicing as surgical assistants. I know you cannot bill medicare or medicaid, so how do you get paid on cases where that is what the patient has? Also, I live in South Carolina. CFA's and CSA's are allowed to work in the state, however, I know they are not widely used in this area, and hospitals do not specifically employ them, but I'm wanting to do freelance work anyways. It seems like most surgeons work with PA's instead. I'm not sure if that's just because there aren't many CSA's here (I'm pretty sure there aren't very many at all)or if they just prefer PA's. Does anyone have experience with starting out in an area where CSA's aren't commonly used? How do you compete with PA's? I'm just wanting to get some info before I sign up for classes.

I can give you information about an online cfa class which I teach in eyria ohio, ...as far as billing,...most of us here work for a hospital,..who just pay us like regular or staff, (at a higher rate). I am currently looking into billing also,...I have heard the ohio laws have changed, so do allow billing for crnfa, cst-cfa.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

ericgrif5 in Aurora, Colorado

95 months ago

linda miller,cst,cfa,cnor,rnfa in Port Clinton, Ohio said: I can give you information about an online cfa class which I teach in eyria ohio, ...as far as billing,...most of us here work for a hospital,..who just pay us like regular or staff, (at a higher rate). I am currently looking into billing also,...I have heard the ohio laws have changed, so do allow billing for crnfa,

Linda, what is the cfa class you teach? Can you give details on it?
Thanks
Eric

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

linda miller,cst,rn,cnor,rnfa,cfa

95 months ago

The class is through Lorain County Community College. We have both a class for cst's to become cfa, and a rnfa class for rn's. Both are online. Both prepare you for the certification test.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

linda miller,cst,rn,cnor,rnfa,cfa

95 months ago

Mel in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: I am a CST looking into training to become a CFA or CSA and had a few questions for those of you who already practicing as surgical assistants. I know you cannot bill medicare or medicaid, so how do you get paid on cases where that is what the patient has? Also, I live in South Carolina. CFA's and CSA's are allowed to work in the state, however, I know they are not widely used in this area, and hospitals do not specifically employ them, but I'm wanting to do freelance work anyways. It seems like most surgeons work with PA's instead. I'm not sure if that's just because there aren't many CSA's here (I'm pretty sure there aren't very many at all)or if they just prefer PA's. Does anyone have experience with starting out in an area where CSA's aren't commonly used? How do you compete with PA's? I'm just wanting to get some info before I sign up for classes.

To complete with them you must know your anatomy of the particular cases forward and backward, you must know the procedure well and each step, and you must know how to suture, position, drape, etc. You need to know the preop issues for the particular cases, (labs, etc) and you need to know particulars on the postop orders. You can take classes online if you are currently a cst to become a cfa if you wish at Lorain County Community College. If you want more information, email me at lrmiller2@lorainccc.edu or go to lccc website.

Reply - Report abuse

enamit in El Paso, Texas

92 months ago

whats the starting pay a year if a hospital would hire you.60k a year?

Reply - Report abuse

JSPL in Las Vegas, Nevada

79 months ago

Are RNFA preferred more by surgeons than CSA?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.