HOW TO ANTICIPATE WHAT THE SURGON WANTS IN A SURGICAL PROCEDURE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

saysay in Saint Simons Island, Georgia

52 months ago

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ANTICIPATE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS DURING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE, I MEAN PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME STEP BY STEP. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU ARE IN A CASE DURING A THYROIDECTOMY WHAT INSTRUMENTS WOULD YOU PASS TO THE SURGON, PLEASE START OFF WITH THE FIRST THING YOU WILL GIVE HIM, I MEAN I KNOW YOU WILL GIVE KNIFE TO CUT, HEMOSTAT TO STOP A BLEED, AND SCISSORS TO CUT, BUT I GET NERVOUS WHEN I AM IN THE OR.

PLEASE MAKE THIS EASY FO ME TO REMEMBER
EXPLAIN LIKE THIS
IST
2ND
3RD

E-MAIL THIS TO ME AT
939davis@bellsouth.net

Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JW in Atlanta, Georgia

51 months ago

That is what going to school and clinicals are supposed to teach you. If you go to a good school then you should have a well educated idea about what you should be doing and the supplies needed. A major factor in knowing what to give the surgeon next is WATCHING the surgeon and not focusing so much on your back table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Selena in Denver, Colorado

51 months ago

Brina D in SAVANNAH, Georgia said: Do anybody have any advice on how you would set up you mayo and back table for a C-section, also can someone give me some avice on any surgical procedures that maybe helpful to me, e-mail me at
939davis@bellsouth.net

Well you need Hemostats, Kelly's, Kochers, suture scissors, metz and bandage scissors. you will need two blades (one for first incision and one for incision for the uterus.) Make sure to have wet laps, depending on surgeon preference. These should be available on your mayo. On your back table you should have extra laps, large basin, a container for your placenta. Make sure to have a cord clamp for the babies umbilical cord, bulb syringe for the babies nose and mouth and suture per surgeons preference card.. Also make sure to have a tube avail. for cord blood gases. If you need any more advice you can e-mail me @knsgonzales@yahoo.com.. As for anticipation it comes with time and doing the surgery over and over again and just paying attention to what the surgeon is doing and discussing with his/her assistant.. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brina D in Jesup, Georgia

44 months ago

Can someone out there please tell me hoe to Anticipate what the surgon will need next, I having a bigggggg problem with this any clues or tips that can help me, And also how do I get over being nervous, I am a new surgical tech fresh out of school only exprience is my clinical

Thank You
please e-mail me

brina939@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fire Engine in El Cajon, California

44 months ago

You have to know the procedure and just pay close attention to whats going on. A good tip is to remember is: Cut (knife), clamp, stitch, cut (scissors). Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Lakeland, Florida

43 months ago

My mayo stand for a C-Section looks like this. Two knives with #10 blades, Scissors: Metz, Curved Mayo, Suture, and Bandage. Rolled towel with 4 hemostats, 4 Kellys, 2 Kockers, 2 Allis. Each surgeon uses something different to clamp the uterus, so have either 4 Pengtons, Pratts, Sponge Sticks or Collins. Each surgeon also likes different forceps, have all available on your back table incase the one they like gets contaminated. You need lots of laps, 3 cord clamps, bulb syringe and raytecs incase you need to make sponge sticks. At the beginning of the case I also have a bovie, bovie holder, suction tubing, T&A suction, towel, and two non piercing towel clips on my mayo, which will all be put on the drape.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Lakeland, Florida

43 months ago

As far as knowing how to anticipate, it really does come with time. Each procedure is different and each surgeon also will do things differently. Most doctors have no problem asking for what they need the first time they work with you, but they usually only give you one shot to remember. The next time you do the same procedure with that surgeon they will exspect you pass them everything with out asking for it, this can be very stressful. Some basics to remember, the knife usually comes first on most procedures, exceptions being when they use a marking pen first, or inject a local first. If something is being cut by metz or curved mayo scissors, have a suture ready. If the doctor is tying a knot, have some suture scissors ready, or sometimes a hemostat if he wants to tag the suture instead of cutting it. Always keep atleast two sponges in reach of the surgeon. Suction and sponge away blood to exspose the work area. Always remove cut suture, bloody sponges, and instruments that our not being used from the drape. Keep the bovie blade clean. Keep your eyes and ears open, and keep the over head lights on target. All yeah and always keep hemostats and free ties ready for bleeders. No one says this job is easy, but the surgeons :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Charleston, South Carolina

38 months ago

saysay in Saint Simons Island, Georgia said: CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ANTICIPATE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS DURING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE, I MEAN PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME STEP BY STEP. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU ARE IN A CASE DURING A THYROIDECTOMY WHAT INSTRUMENTS WOULD YOU PASS TO THE SURGON, PLEASE START OFF WITH THE FIRST THING YOU WILL GIVE HIM, I MEAN I KNOW YOU WILL GIVE KNIFE TO CUT, HEMOSTAT TO STOP A BLEED, AND SCISSORS TO CUT, BUT I GET NERVOUS WHEN I AM IN THE OR.

EXPLAIN LIKE THIS
IST
2ND
3RD

E-MAIL THIS TO ME AT
939davis@bellsouth.net

Thank You

If you have the little blue book about surgical procedures,( i got one while in school) that will help you. think about the case; what are you doing, why? how do i get theres? the Dr will ask for what he needs, so study your instruments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Charleston, South Carolina

38 months ago

Brina D in Jesup, Georgia said: Can someone out there please tell me hoe to Anticipate what the surgon will need next, I having a bigggggg problem with this any clues or tips that can help me, And also how do I get over being nervous, I am a new surgical tech fresh out of school only exprience is my clinical

Thank You
please e-mail me

brina939@yahoo.com

If you recieved a small blue book during your time in school called operating room procedures, that will help you.You really need to go back and read your text on the variou procedures, there it will explain step by step what is going to happen. then close your eyes and pretend you are doing the case. Also, Go back to class and ask your instructor to help you refresh with passing instruments and suture. I did all of this and it helped me.
Lastly, do not show fear. Listen to the dr. ( do not daydream, there is a person under that drape that's counting on you to not screw up!)most of my experience has evolved over time.
If you really want to do this right, you will do whatever it takes. This stuff can be spoon fed you gotta walk it! Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

namansfield2011@hotmail.com in Pearl City, Hawaii

33 months ago

Make your own notes on each individual surgeon. I used the skin marker pen after Dr didn't need it. I would write down things like his needle holder preference, sutures, etc. write on the card from from the surgeons gown keep it for notes it's still sterile.(if your scrubbed in) Most importantly find out the day before which surgeries you might be in and then read up on them the night before. I would also rewrite the case from start to finish as to how that particular surgeon worked when i got home.Preference cards arn't always up to date so I had my own personal ones. Once you've done 2 or 3 you'll know what the surgeon wants. Just have most of it on your mayo stand, ie blades #10 #15 if belly case put 15 on long handle. Think where is he, look to see. If he's going deep have longer instruments ready.
SO, blades, laps, metz and mayo scissors. clamps (kelly's) peons vanderbilts, rt angles sponge stix loaded, kockers, Richardson retractors, silk ties loaded. Obviously this would be some kind of open case. Get your self a routine of what to put on your mayo and in the same order so you can find them with your eyes closed. If your manager or chg nurse allow, take pictures of someone with experience's set up. Print it up leave it in your locker with the pref card. Next time pull it out stick that puppy on the wall and don't be embarrassed to look at it. I did this and still do and know what most surgeons were impressed you took the time to get familiar w/ his/her case. Know what I still use mine kind of like my security blanket. Nobody makes fun because most times it helps the circulator too! GOOD LUCK>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

michelle

31 months ago

I have to agree with Jennifer in VA. If you attended a good college you would have been taught over and over how to anticipate. Also if you went to a good hospital and had a wonderful preceptor she/he would have taught you these vitals skills as well. I have been a CST for three years and can tell you how to set it up and how to do the entire case. However, I am not going to do that. You should look it up and figure it out. You should also take notes at your field for the first two and then read them, study them and then challenge yourself. It will take time, but if you do enough of these you will get it. These are pretty simple cases (thyroidectomy,parathyroidectomy) to learn. Most surgeons do them all the same. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

smiley1 in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

Brina D in Jesup, Georgia said: Can someone out there please tell me hoe to Anticipate what the surgon will need next, I having a bigggggg problem with this any clues or tips that can help me, And also how do I get over being nervous, I am a new surgical tech fresh out of school only exprience is my clinical

Thank You
please e-mail me

brina939@yahoo.com

What a bizzarre question to ask.... first and foremost. Any and all procedues you'll endure you must listen and watch the procedure. Constantly, listen & watch the procedure and never forget to continue too "LISTEN & WATCH THE PROCEDURE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

smiley1 in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

saysay in Saint Simons Island, Georgia said: CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ANTICIPATE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS DURING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE, I MEAN PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME STEP BY STEP. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU ARE IN A CASE DURING A THYROIDECTOMY WHAT INSTRUMENTS WOULD YOU PASS TO THE SURGON, PLEASE START OFF WITH THE FIRST THING YOU WILL GIVE HIM, I MEAN I KNOW YOU WILL GIVE KNIFE TO CUT, HEMOSTAT TO STOP A BLEED, AND SCISSORS TO CUT, BUT I GET NERVOUS WHEN I AM IN THE OR.

What a bizzarre question to ask.... first and foremost. Any and all procedues you'll endure you must listen and watch the procedure. Constantly, listen & watch the procedure and never forget to continue too "LISTEN & WATCH THE PROCEDURE!!
EXPLAIN LIKE THIS
IST
2ND
3RD

E-MAIL THIS TO ME AT
939davis@bellsouth.net

Thank You

What a bizzarre question to ask.... first and foremost. Any and all procedues you'll endure you must listen and watch the procedure. Constantly, listen & watch the procedure and never forget to continue too "LISTEN & WATCH THE PROCEDURE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.