Biology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Spear101 in High Point, North Carolina

71 months ago

Hello,
I'm a student in a surgical tech program and currently taking my prerequisite courses which include; mathematical measurements, intro to anatomy & physiology, anatomy & physiology and microbiology. I'm curious to know how much of biology and math do I actually need to retain for the certification exam? It just seems like it's going to be an awful lot of information to absorb, plus remember a year down the road. I'm not having any trouble with my classes, I just want to know what I should go back and review after the course is over. Also, if someone could tell me how math is incorporated into the job. Than

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Lansing, Michigan

71 months ago

If you go out to Amazon.com they have test prep books for the national exam. I'm starting pre-req's this Summer. I can tell you that you will need your math if you want to advance in any health field. The thing I find funny is that some places only require intro to algebra and where I'm at I need intermediate. Also some places only require intro to A&P. I have to take both, which I planned on anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bob in Stony Brook, New York

71 months ago

I dont get the pre reqs thing. dont they teach you this stuff in the school? how much are you folks paying? what is wexpected of a student comming in to the class?

Rick in Lansing, Michigan

71 months ago

bob in Stony Brook, New York said: I dont get the pre reqs thing. dont they teach you this stuff in the school? how much are you folks paying? what is wexpected of a student comming in to the class?

I'm starting back at 49 at a CC. There are a few classes I need to take before I can start in the program. The good thing is that by the time I get these done, I can choose what path I want to take. I can go ST then RN. Or I can go Radiological Tech. I will have a few ways to go. I'm not in a hurry as I have a very stable job as well as my wife. If I want to go to school full time and quit work I can. My goal is to get through the basic classes, then make a decision. BTW, by doing it this way, I figure about $10K Tuition. Books extra. That would be an AA. By pre-reqs I mean the math and chem before A&P and Microbiology, that sort of class.

bob in Stony Brook, New York

71 months ago

why not just stay at yor current job?

nodramahere in Hendersonville, North Carolina

70 months ago

Spear101 in High Point, North Carolina said: Hello,
I'm a student in a surgical tech program and currently taking my prerequisite courses which include; mathematical measurements, intro to anatomy & physiology, anatomy & physiology and microbiology. I'm curious to know how much of biology and math do I actually need to retain for the certification exam? It just seems like it's going to be an awful lot of information to absorb, plus remember a year down the road. I'm not having any trouble with my classes, I just want to know what I should go back and review after the course is over. Also, if someone could tell me how math is incorporated into the job. Than

Everything you need is in your textbook "Surgical Technology for the Surgical Technologist". The study guides are a waste of money. As far as retaining your info, don't worry, clinicals will help with that. Besides, passing the test is cake compared to finding work right now.

bangert2000 in Beatrice, Nebraska

40 months ago

I was wondering what type of math is for the Surgical Tech program, like measuring (give an example), do we have to convert things? and also we have to meausre t hings like in a syring or somethin glike that? he gives us a number and we have to be able to convert it down so we know how much of medicine to put into the syringe? is that what we do or what is the math?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.