Clinicals and Felony Conviction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 241)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

sindy in Opp, Alabama

78 months ago

Cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Thanks for the encouragement, but my felony is federal and can't be expunged. Believe me I've checked on it. I'm currently working as a CNA now. I'm trying to wait until 2010, when I come off probation to apply to school. The felony will be 5 years old and maybe the board won't look so hard at it. All I can do it try. If its for me than God will make sure I get it.

Cyndy

Hi I was convicted of theft of property (class C felony) I am currently serving probation for it...it was my first offense and my last!....I am currently wanting to do surgical tech classes. Is it gonna hurt me to get a job? or do i need to apply for a pardon? will that help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

sunrise in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

misdemeanors are considered as bad as felonies in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Springfield, Illinois

76 months ago

teddybare842 in Brighton, Michigan said: A felony is a felony...dosent matter if it was alcohol or murder. Welfare fraud is worse than dui...you lied to the state to get something that was you were not entitled to. DUI a person just drank!

DUI is actually worse, in my view. Try losing someone you love to a drunk driver and you'll see what I mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

doME in Irving, Texas

75 months ago

Cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Thanks for the encouragement, but my felony is federal and can't be expunged. Believe me I've checked on it. I'm currently working as a CNA now. I'm trying to wait until 2010, when I come off probation to apply to school. The felony will be 5 years old and maybe the board won't look so hard at it. All I can do it try. If its for me than God will make sure I get it.

Cyndy

Hey, what hospital do you work at? if you were cleared to work as a CNA in a hospital, take that background check to the school where you are trying to enroll. they should take a cleared background check from that facility and that should clear you for clinicals. call and ask. I also have wire fraud charge. i googled "can wire fraud disqualify from working at a hospital" and ran across your post. I only have one semester left. I am in the process of trying to find a job so that I can finish up my last semester of nursing school. I got charged while I was in nursing school, and failed the last semester. I was not able to go back until i had a decision on my status. I plead guilty. But, anywho, I feel better knowing that there is someone in the state of Mississippi (i am also in mississippi) that has a fed charge and works in a hospital. its encouraging for me. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fed m.a.

75 months ago

There's about 6 of us who all just got out of the. Feds in Florida,most of us are working as med assts but a friend of mine from. The same halfway house had bank fraud and wire fraud and she's working as a pharmacy tech,so you should be fine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kimmeh1109 in Odessa, Texas

72 months ago

I'm a medical assistant && looking into surgical technology but I have a felony charge for credit card theft/abuse. It happened 3 years ago, (served no jail time) but i'm still on deferred probation until I finish paying so I have a few more years to go. I was told I could have it expunged later, but I'm stuck with it until then. Well I wanted to know if I could still be able to obtain certification as a surgical tech. I am actually a pre-med student, but looking for a higher certification other than a MA to help pay off my dues before med school so I could have it expunged by then. Help please? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mikey in Newton, Mississippi

72 months ago

brian in Islandia, New York said: I went to school with a guy that has a felony on his record. Its been two years now and no one will hire him.

you are right the reason no one will hire a felon in a hospital is because of something called punative libality suits the hospital is responsible for who they hire and if even one felon is hired and does something the cost could be catastropic to the hospital or employer i know of not one hospital in mississippi that will hire an felon even if its nonviolent crimes they have too much at risk they say millions in libality is the reason, the law says they should have known or did know the employee was a felon who placed someone at risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

sindy in Opp, Alabama said: Hi I was convicted of theft of property (class C felony) I am currently serving probation for it...it was my first offense and my last!....I am currently wanting to do surgical tech classes. Is it gonna hurt me to get a job? or do i need to apply for a pardon? will that help?

yes you will need a pardon or overturning of your crime, its going to be ruff i know i am a felon with a nonviolent charge and have not have a job in 6 years now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

chris in Oakland, California said: get it done bro, we need people like you to fix this f-up system. i have a felony conviction for growing a couple of marijuana plants, that conviction kept me from relinisting in the army and i can no longer compete in shooting competitions.people who get drunk and kill someone on accident get better treatment than me, mind u this was my only conviction, i faced 5 years in prison but got probation instead, and a 6000 fine, how the f am i suppose to pay this if no one will hire me, the system is made to keep you down, period.

your right the system has failed. getting a job as a felon is very hard because of the libality of the employer has if the felon does something, yes i know most felons if hired would not do anything wrong at the employer but with millions at stake they are not likey to take a chance with a felon, mowing grass,roofing maybe,and collecting aluminum cans are about the best a felon will do nowdays i know because i have over 200 applications in the past 6 years and not one employer hired me, even though the crime was nonviolent, welcome to america land of the not so free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Push in Miami, Florida said: Hi, Bill
I live in fla too, sarasota and I am going to school for massage. I am in the same boat as you and I cant find any good info about my schooling choice. Im not sure if i am able to be licenced for massage in fla either? If you know anything that can help me please let me know. i have read that a felon in florida isn't even allowed to be a licensed hairstylist?!! Its crazy stuipid!

you are right a felon can not get bonded or licensed either, i have a nonviolent felony and can not even get a job with waste management collecting trash as they now do background checks on employees, i have been out for 6 years and not one job will hire me even though the crime was obtaining alprazolem unlawfully, welcome to the land of the free home of the hipocrites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

wwwangel28 in New York, New York said: Everyone one on this forum, don't give up, if you want to go for whatever career you want go for it, don't let what's on a rap sheet stop you, don't let doors that have closed stop you, don't let fear of the past stop you, if you want to be a nurse go for it, if you want to be a surg tech go for it, if you want to be a massage therapist go for it, I have a felony & another for something I didn't even do, I will not let that stop me from succeeding in life, I will be a surg tech & a RN, & later a NP (nurse pract.) The system is screwed up yes we know it, but what's even more screwed up is when we allow the system to brainwash us that we can't be nothing in life because of a record, if that was the case billions of people would have no careers,no ones perfect, but what we do now to change our life for better is what counts! Let's all be positive and do what we have to do to succeed in life, get certificates of good conduct or certificates of relief from disability google it in your state once you get that it lifts bar so you can get licensed, also try to get record expunged, good luck, god bless everyone, determination & ambition, persistance are keys to our success!!

I am sorry to post bad luck for you but no with a felony on your reccord you are not going to get a nursing job in any of the 5o states, the reason is called punative libality on the part of thje employer the law says that an employer either did know or should have known that an employee was a convicted felon and not likely to have trust as a advantage so with huge money at stake few if any employers are likely to hire a felon i know i am a felon with a nonviolent record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

diamond1 in Douglasville, Georgia said: can anyone help with finding a job in Atlanta ,Georgia in medical assistanting or surgical tech

sorry with a active felony on your record it can not happen, though you can try for an exspungement or pardon as for as the pardon the chances are less than 1 in 250,000. one other way is to have your sentence overturned very expensive to hire an attorney to do this as few of them fully know the entire long and complicated process to do this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

ladybug63 in Becket, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone..I am really concerned that once I graduate from surgical tech school, my past my haunt me...I am a recovering addict and I am afraid that once I start applying at the local hospitals for a job, I may not have a chance at it due to I have been red flagged at the hospitals for opiate addiction. does anyone have any info that they can share to help ease my fear.
Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

sorry but your are right , with an expungement, pardon, or overturning of your conviction you can not work in a hospital that i am sure of because of something called punative libality for the employer it says that an employer either knew or should have known the person working for them had an active felony record with would place the hospital at great financial risk, sorry i am also a felon with a nonviolent record i found this out after i was released from prison thinking i could start life over again and all was going to be good again, boy was i in for a surprise when 100's of applications were turned down one after another, finally i sought legal advice and learned the reason most employers will not hire any exfelon just too much at stake, not that they do not want to hire a felon just one mess up willl cost them millions in libiality suits because of the one felon working there, bad i know but better to learn now then years later why emp[loyers do not hire felons anymore espcially with it taking 5 seconds to do a complete background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

felon in tampa

72 months ago

Well I been out of prison a year for drugs did 7 years and now finished school and work as an m.a. in a hospital urology office so you can do it.and if you get expunged it erased from your record so no one can see it period.that's the point.I have not had this done and still work in one of the biggest hospitals in the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

mikey in Newton, Mississippi said: I am sorry to post bad luck for you but no with a felony on your reccord you are not going to get a nursing job in any of the 5o states, the reason is called punative libality on the part of thje employer the law says that an employer either did know or should have known that an employee was a convicted felon and not likely to have trust as a advantage so with huge money at stake few if any employers are likely to hire a felon i know i am a felon with a nonviolent record.

Hi Mikey, just wanted to let you know that is possible to be a RN in any of the 50 states, if that was the case I wouldn't be pursuing that as a career, call the state board of nursing and they will tell you that they can not deny a person with a felony a license, the person I spoke to in NYS Board of Nursing said don't listen to people, WE are the ones that give the licenses and as long as you stay out of problems, and submit all the proper paperwork, you can get your license... there is a guy in my class that has a gun charge (felony) and he went for an interview at a major NYC hospital and they hired him!!! So having a record doesn't matter... I have worked at CVS, Duane Reade, and Rite Aid, and guess what I have a felony and I was a shift leader/supervisor I counted money all day long and was left in charge of the stores, employees, money, safe, Garda pickups, refunds, everything by myself on morning/afternoon/evening/overnight shifts.. I have an attempted robbery class c felony on my record, I was honest about it, and all these companies hired me, I never did anything wrong at work, I worked very hard, so hard that managers would call me on my days off and vacation asking me to come in to help them out or so they could go home, I was very reliable, and professional, funny thing is that the workers without a record were getting caught on camera stealing money, and store property, and they got fired.. so yes people can get jobs with a felony..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

mikey in Newton, Mississippi said: I am sorry to post bad luck for you but no with a felony on your reccord you are not going to get a nursing job in any of the 5o states, the reason is called punative libality on the part of thje employer the law says that an employer either did know or should have known that an employee was a convicted felon and not likely to have trust as a advantage so with huge money at stake few if any employers are likely to hire a felon i know i am a felon with a nonviolent record.

Don't give up Mikey, I know it's not easy but you have to think more positively, do you know how many workers that work for NYC Transit that have felonies? that is a city job and they get hired to work and drive busses, train operators, station agents, track cleaners, etc... I know because they have told me and I have talked to alot of them that tell me as long as you are honest about your record and show you have changed and do the right thing you can get hired.. There are plenty of felons working at good jobs, there are RN's with felonies and they get hired, You should never let a felony stop you, ever!! You just have to keep trying, if anything go to school, get degrees, and keep trying if you changed are professional, carry yourself well, stay away from drugs, you should have no problem getting hired.. just keep trying... get a trade or something where you can get into owning your own business there are many options for us, a mistake is a mistake, don't let it hold you down, learn from it, grow, and keep moving on to a bigger and better life.. change your mind set, don't be afraid.. the most people can say is no, but determination is key.. stay positive and ambitious.. ten no's will eventually lead to a few yes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Another thing Mikey, I know felons that are real estate agents (licensed!).. one girl i was in prison with came home and i bumped into her on the bus and she told me she was doing very well working in a real estate office in Manhattan, NYC, I was so proud of her!! She told me she loves it and makes good money, she was on her way to work when I saw her, and I saw another girl I was in prison with that had a very long record, in and out of state prison, rikers island, I saw her driving the access a ride bus which is a bus that picks up disabled, elderly people she was so happy, she is doing great and gets paid well... never say never.. i knew a CO in a nyc correctional prison that had a record as a juvenile and he became a CO, even that could still be possible, for any one that ever has doubts about how far you can go with a felony watch channel 11 WPIX and watch Judge Mathis!!! He even says how he was once a criminal, went to school, worked hard and changed and is a JUDGE!!!! So why limit yourself... no one is perfect.. we all make mistakes look at the politicians, and the people way high up, it happens to them too, you think they would let that stop them!! NO!! Anything is possible if you believe in yourself and are determined, ambitious, and persistent!!! Keep trying everyone and mikey too... you will make it!! Give it a try!!! Don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mikey in Philadelphia, Mississippi

72 months ago

I have to disagree with those of you who say that convicted felons are working as nurses RN'S, LPN's, or any medical field with the felony being active on their record, yes they may have had a felony and got expungement, an overturning of their sentence, or rarely a pardon and then gained employment in a few states like mass. or vermont however overall its very difficult to get records exspunged if your over age 27 at the time the crime was committed. I am not being down on people who have felonies as i have three nonviolent myself, i have been home almost 7 years and had one job and was released from it when other employees refused to work with a convicted felon, they found out about my record by a simple internet search, i was told the companies policy was now no felonies period. well i am now unemployeed again and diabetes has began to take a huge toll on me.I hope the next life is better and my record doesn't follow me to the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

felon in tampa

72 months ago

Sorry to hear that,can't say for other states but in Fla all you have to do is write to the governing association and plead your case.its actually stated in the requirements for cma, cna,rn,and pharmacy tech websites by the accrediting bodies themselves.so everyone do your homework in the correct places before you make statements.these are people asking important questions that effect their lives.even doctors convicted of certain felonies can re obtain there license to practice after 5 years.these people are trying to be less than doctors,why can't they?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

TO: (CINDY IN CLEVELAND)

Felony Wire Fraud is the premeditated and intentional "DECEPTION" of Oneself (via, phone, electronic means such as computer ect...). A person commits wire fraud for the sole benefit of their own self and to directly take something that does not belong to them, from a innocent victim. The Felon attempts to "Steal" something that does not belong to them and goes to great measures to cover up their crime.
For "Christ Sake", you (Cyndy in Cleveland) have admitted that you commited the felony and you had a trial or hearing and you were found guilty of that felony. You are now trying to act as if you are a victim and others are telling you that you have a lawsuit that you can file, FOR WHAT? There are some jobs that you can do or perform and it really does not matter what kind of felonies, mistakes or blunders you have made then there are jobs whereby "PEOPLES LIVES ARE IN YOUR HANDS DIRECTLY". A Surgical Tech is responsible or "should be responsible" for many important tasks. First of all you have "Company Policies and Procedures, Protocalls" ect... that every single employee is bound to abide by or you could be fired. You have a "legal" job application which YOU sign before being hired that states whether you have ever been convicted of a felony. You are expected to be honest when you answer that question. If your employer does not catch your criminal or felonious charges right away that does not mean you get a "free ride" or "too late you did not catch me in the first two weeks". Every single college has a student application that has the very same question, "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY". Again, people you are suppose to be honest when you answer that question.
Cyndy, you are, in my opinion receiving that "KARMA". You are making matters worse by using public means (INTERNET) to attempt to get sympathy and try to get someone to help you lie, cheat, steal and wiggle your way into getting something.continued next

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Hi All,

I have a non-violent, non-sex related felony conviction (wire fraud ) that has nothing to do with the healthcare field. I'm planning to attend Surgical Tech school in Jan. 08. I was informed by the director of the program that I many not be accepted for clinicals based on the felony. The crazy thing is that I spoke with a number of hospitals about hiring me after graduation from the program and some said it wouldn't be a problem, others said they look a case-by-case.

Can someone please explain why they will hire you to work for them, but won't allow you to do clinicals in their facility. I'm very upset about this...I've been anticipating this career for over 5 years and now that I have a chance to do it...it seems like its being taken away...Even the AST said my felony would not be a problem in getting my certification?!!!

continued from prior message...

It is amazing how felons can turn everything around and attempt to mislead others into thinking they have done no wrong or what they did could not possibly warrant the punishment they received.
You have very serious diseases to deal with in the Operating Room, Nervous Humans, Tired and Stressed Humans,Scared Patients, Sterile Parameters to continuously be vigilant of, Legal "Counts" of instruments, sharps, sponges ect..., biological indicators to watch for, Surgical Scrub to be done to render the hands and forearms surgically clean, Drugs to draw up, label and account for, Specimens to handle and label accordingly and the list can go on and on and on.
Not for one minute do I or would I have confidence in you to tell the truth about a "Miscount" you have made, a instrument that may or may not have had a "indicator" in it, the location of the bone graft that was suppose to be in your emesis basin (that somehow is gone), a sponge that was left inside that infants chest wall, your earring that was in the patients abdomen (continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

I have a non-violent, non-sex related felony conviction (wire fraud ) that has nothing to do with the healthcare field. I'm planning to attend Surgical Tech school in Jan. 08. I was informed by the director of the program that I many not be accepted for clinicals based on the felony. The crazy thing is that I spoke with a number of hospitals about hiring me after graduation from the program and some said it wouldn't be a problem, others said they look a case-by-case.

Can someone please explain why they will hire you to work for them, but won't allow you to do clinicals in their facility. I'm very upset about this...I've been anticipating this career for over 5 years and now that I have a chance to do it...it seems like its being taken away...Even the AST said my felony would not be a problem in getting my certification?!!!

Does anyone here know of anyone that has had a felony and made it through clinicals?

help!!! Cyndy

PATIENTS ARE AT THE MERCY OF ALL OPERATING ROOM PERSONNEL!!!!!!!
If you were convicted of a felony and you actually understood and admitted the wrong and actually felt remorse for what you did, that would be great!

No, you want to push the bad on someone else. Stop Your Cry Baby Deception. Grow up, attempt to be honest, compassionate and Responsible for what you have done. If you can't be a Surgical Tech because of your past then start looking for another job. All you will do at this point, in the least, is cause turmoil in the Operating Room. It is bound and guaranteed to happen with you because you will not accept the judgement given to you and who knows there is probably a lot more to the story than you are telling the internet world.

If for some miracle you do admit that you are in the wrong, then I do wish you the very best in whatever career you end up in and I also wish you much Peace and Happiness in your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: PATIENTS ARE AT THE MERCY OF ALL OPERATING ROOM PERSONNEL!!!!!!!
If you were convicted of a felony and you actually understood and admitted the wrong and actually felt remorse for what you did, that would be great!

No, you want to push the bad on someone else. Stop Your Cry Baby Deception. Grow up, attempt to be honest, compassionate and Responsible for what you have done. If you can't be a Surgical Tech because of your past then start looking for another job. All you will do at this point, in the least, is cause turmoil in the Operating Room. It is bound and guaranteed to happen with you because you will not accept the judgement given to you and who knows there is probably a lot more to the story than you are telling the internet world.

If for some miracle you do admit that you are in the wrong, then I do wish you the very best in whatever career you end up in and I also wish you much Peace and Happiness in your life.

How about the Circulators, Surg Techs and Surgeons with no records that make huge mistakes in the operating rooms and cover it up... this happens all the time.. or the surgeon with the horrible temper that curses and intimidates his co workers. Just because a person has a record does not make them incapable and incompetent of performing these job functions, you never, know a convicted felon may actually make the best surg tech, these things that you are talking about happen every day and most likely by people with no record, what are you really saying that people with criminal records should not be hired at all.. So a person with a criminal record is incapable of being honest while performing counts and taking care of patients? Not all people are the same, you are stereotyping convicted felons and putting everyone in one box.. this is why when hiring a convicted felon it is decided on a case by case basis...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

jess in Cypress, Texas said: well I went and told them about my background and I still did the application and everything. But she said we will do the background part when i come back (next monday) and she said "based on what i have seen in the past, you should be okay"

I'm not sure how to take that.. oh and i meant to say I will be 23.. I turned 23 not 21.

Good Luck to you, I truly wish you the best.. please keep us posted...

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

Jess that is great.Honesty may not always get you what you want or feel you need.If you are honest up front you will not have to drop out of a case one day because you were not honest and up front on your application.Life can be a pain in the butt sometime but you continue on doing the "right thing", being honest and treating everyone the way you want to be treated.You will be so proud of yourself later on if you do not actually realize "Your full Worth".You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it and do it right.Don't be a follower, be a leader or just walk beside others.Don't get discouraged because the O.R. can be a tough arena to work in.Those that do not have a Type A personality will fall behind.As you get older, not like me.LOL..I hope you realize all of this before you get my age.You have to learn to continuously let certain things roll right off your back in the O.R. You should stand up for yourself when you know you are right too. New techs.,interns or nurse's ect..are bait for the "insecure" Surgeons and Nurses that WILL TRY TO INTIMIDATE YOU.Contrary to what you all probably think of me, a majority of all students and interns want to scrub or assist with or in front of me. Once I see you are in it for the right reason, you will learn more that the rest from me because I do not have a problem helping anyone off of the clock, ANYONE! (Felony or not, Asian or White, skinny or overweight)

I do wish you all the best in your dreams and life. God Bless you and you are so young...Don't ever stop at any wall or mountain. You sit down, think about it and make another plan and attack that Bull!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

Anon in Brick, New Jersey said: what if you have an arrest for drug related incident but there was no conviction will i have any problems

I do have that answer.If the job application or any other "signed" document ask the question, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" You need to answer NO! If you even have what is called a "PRAYER OF JUDGEMENT" for a felony, the "rapp sheet" will say "GUILTY PJC or prayer judgement conviction". A prayer of judgement is not a Felony Conviction. I can tell you if you get fired because they are so stupid they do not understand a law and they want to ask you a legal question then you will or should have the opportunity for them to re-instate you on the spot and not subtract any pay. Unfortunately, when something like that happens, people like to gossip. I hate it and if that shoe was on their feet they would shut up.

Read those statements carefully so that you can answer them honestly and correctly so that you will be respected for being honest and "real". Certain felonies can be expunged but it is expensive and very political. You usually have to be really far in that "butt kissing circle of attorneys and judges". Yes, my ex-husbands Dad was a Judge for 27 years so if you all think I had one minute of peace or anything easy, think again.My ex-husband got out of the Navy and started doing "coke"with all of his buddies and could not be made to pay child support and never got busted when all of his friends went to jail for the same thing they all were doing. Unfortuntely, that is how I learned so many laws and of course they vary from state to state.

Good Luck and Stay True and You Will Be Fine!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

ladybug63 in Becket, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone..I am really concerned that once I graduate from surgical tech school, my past my haunt me...I am a recovering addict and I am afraid that once I start applying at the local hospitals for a job, I may not have a chance at it due to I have been red flagged at the hospitals for opiate addiction. does anyone have any info that they can share to help ease my fear.
Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Unless you have a legal issue with those drugs then they should not be able to discriminate. I would probably move away even if it is in the next town over. Unfortunately, employers can discriminate and make up another "BS" excuse for not hiring you. If you pass the pre-hire bloodwork and urinalysis and any future random ones, you should be fine.

You know what's going on so just keep it in your pocket, stay away from any other illegal drugs or activity and look forward to a very rewarding future and job. You will be amazed over the years how your patients will remember you if you take that extra step, hold their hand, sit down beside them or do everything you can to take good care of every patient you come in contact with. You will run into them in the Walmart or Mall one day and you will literally start crying when they stand there and tell you that they were pertified and you were the only one that took the time to console them or talk with them. This is a beautiful career and so are those people on that table!

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

vegas1 in Wausau, Wisconsin said: hi everyone, im seeking a new career ive been welding for 10 years and tired of it (getting old lol) i was looking into a career in nursing however i have a felony thats 15 years old for manufacturing meth i know thats a harsh conviction but beings its so old is that still looked at?

It will be a absolute miracle if they allow you to get into the college now for any of their courses if you have a past meth conviction. That is a tough drug to kick and I hope to God you have done so and will continue to stay on the right path.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

Push in Miami, Florida said: Hi, Bill
I live in fla too, sarasota and I am going to school for massage. I am in the same boat as you and I cant find any good info about my schooling choice. Im not sure if i am able to be licenced for massage in fla either? If you know anything that can help me please let me know. i have read that a felon in florida isn't even allowed to be a licensed hairstylist?!! Its crazy stuipid!

First off guys don't be telling other students and anyone else information that is none of their business. If you have to fill out and sign statements about your convictions then be honest but leave it there. Don't you think for one minute that those classmates of yours will not go to the Dean or a instructor and tell them about your time in prison. Leave it from here on out, "a felony drug conviction", please! I am going to tell you that you better be looking for another program of study. You are going to have to answer to it in your future anyway but don't waste your time taking a lot of courses that you might not be able to use.

People are horrible and they think they are a better human being than you are. Do not give the ammunition to destroy your future, okay.

Good luck and stay on the right path. That is the only way you will ever be the person you can be proud of.

Good Luck and I wish all of you the very best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

Sheri in Wichita Falls, Texas said: well, I have a misdeamenor.... for petty theft. I am a single mom and I am just trying to take care of my daughter... and make her life what it should be. But I have learned real fast that no one really cares about that. It has been four years and I have lost 3 jobs that I know of from it. I want to go back to school... and I was thinking surgical tech but my dad raised a mighty fine point... am I going to go through all this schooling... and not even be able to get a job?? It apparently does not matter that I paid for this a million and two times... does anyone know about misdeamenors?

Darlin if you just have a misdemeanor you take your butt to school and do whatever program you want! You be honest on that application and there usually is a space to explain your misdemeanor. You write down how you had to steal something that was necessary for your childs health. Every person on this earth has taken something or a lot of things that did not belong to them. You make sure you do not write anything about your arrest unless the question ask if you have ever been charged and found guilty of a misdemeanor. I am serious, that is the law.

Gook Luck to you and your daughter. I know it is tough. I had to do the same thing years ago and it seems like nobody cares. I do! You take care of that precious child you have and be careful who you leave her with. You just be a great Mother and God will bless you anyway.

Take Care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike677 in Meridian, Mississippi

72 months ago

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York said: Another thing Mikey, I know felons that are real estate agents (licensed!).. one girl i was in prison with came home and i bumped into her on the bus and she told me she was doing very well working in a real estate office in Manhattan, NYC, I was so proud of her!! She told me she loves it and makes good money, she was on her way to work when I saw her, and I saw another girl I was in prison with that had a very long record, in and out of state prison, rikers island, I saw her driving the access a ride bus which is a bus that picks up disabled, elderly people she was so happy, she is doing great and gets paid well... never say never.. i knew a CO in a nyc correctional prison that had a record as a juvenile and he became a CO, even that could still be possible, for any one that ever has doubts about how far you can go with a felony watch channel 11 WPIX and watch Judge Mathis!!! He even says how he was once a criminal, went to school, worked hard and changed and is a JUDGE!!!! So why limit yourself... no one is perfect.. we all make mistakes look at the politicians, and the people way high up, it happens to them too, you think they would let that stop them!! NO!! Anything is possible if you believe in yourself and are determined, ambitious, and persistent!!! Keep trying everyone and mikey too... you will make it!! Give it a try!!! Don't give up!

you are right in so far as some people being able to exspunge their record but their are limitations as to who can get an exspungement in mississippi after age 27 no person is allowed an exspungement even if the offense was nonviolent that is the law here, a few states are less restrictive however, as for as working in a hospital i never have known any person with a active felony record to be allowed to work in a hospital- ever and certainly not be an registured nurse , you can not even enroll in the college R.N. program in Mississippi with a felony even if its nonviolent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Does anyone here know of anyone that has had a felony and made it through clinicals?

help!!! Cyndy

I am sorry that they told you that it would not matter, As i can assure you that a felony record will matter as i have one myself and can not get a job anywhere i have been out for 6 and a half years with no luck as to a job, its a nightmare for real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: It will be a absolute miracle if they allow you to get into the college now for any of their courses if you have a past meth conviction. That is a tough drug to kick and I hope to God you have done so and will continue to stay on the right path.

Good Luck!

I agree with you fully here in Mississippi all colleges will not allow a felon to enroll into nursing,law enforcement, and any healthcare field including social work its hard on a felonm i know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

level 1 in Farmington, Michigan said: Hire an attorney and have your record expunged (cleaned). Will cost $200-$500 but should be well worth it. As long as it's your only conviction and was 5+ years ago it is very doable.

Every state is different on expungement issues. In North Carolina you have to know someone in high places that can literally walk your letter and record into the Governers office. You all are not getting the reality and big picture of all of it. If you know the right people you can molest children, rob a bank, beat someone nearly to death and leave them to die, gang rape a person, create the largest meth lab in the state or do any felonious crime or crime to nature. You are saying, "but my friend has this job, but the politicians can do this, well I am going to take a chance at applying for this". Certain people get away with certain things and certain people are content driving a public transportation bus ect... You have to know and mentally understand the crime you committed and who was hurt by it, who could be hurt by it and what can I do now to convince the world that I will never do anyone else any harm directly or indirectly. The attitudes some of you have is as if you don't care if you murdered someone as long as you can get this highly important job that puts that patient at your mercy while you are caring for you. You can attempt to deceive a college online or try to physically attend one. In the end when you get your certification, right. That is wrong because if you are not honest and you do not prove yourself in every way prior to taking on a job like this you will have to live with that monkey on your back your entire time that you are employed. Once your employer receives information that you had a felony, you will be fired and that is the end of the story. Are you going to be disgruntle then and want to shoot the human resource director or the operating room supervisor? continued...

Denise, CST,FA

72 months ago

mike677 in Meridian, Mississippi said: I agree with you fully here in Mississippi all colleges will not allow a felon to enroll into nursing,law enforcement, and any healthcare field including social work its hard on a felonm i know.

I do not think some of you are being realistic about the importance of patient care. I do not know your past, what your dreams were before you ever headed in the "wrong direction" or what you want to blame or who you want to blame for your actions and participation. I think some of you are being very selfish to want to get into the healthcare field period. I hate to say it but by the way some of you are defending your crime and your friends that had felony convictions, I believe you are trying to get into the medical field for access to someone elses drugs or something else. Man, could I tell you all some stories about a girl in our college class and a few people that worked in the operating room with me. The end will come eventually to all of those people that are in the healthcare field for the wrong reason. Unfortunately, there will probably be patients that die before you are caught.This is so wrong.You need to change your attitudes, goals and find a mental health professional to talk to about what you want to do with your life.

72 months ago

Hi Everyone!! Just wanted to say the best person to find out if you will have a problem in getting certified or obtaining a license would be the associations that represent your field. I will soon be going to nursing school, (after I finish getting my Surgical Technology Associates Degree, which will be early next year) and I called the NYS State Board of Nursing, I spoke to a representative and she informed me that the NYS State Board of Nursing reviews cases on a case by case basis, she told me not to listen to people saying that I won't get hired or licensed because of having a record, she told me THEY are the ones that make the decision if I can get my RN license.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this forum, which is great, as for me I will continue to pursue my goals and dreams, regardless of what people on this forum say, good luck to everyone, stay inspired, determined, persistent, optimistic, and ambitious!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Also not all convicted felons are drug addicts (I most definitely am not)I don't do ANY drugs, and also there are decent people that have a record, like myself. Just because a person has a record doesn't make them a bad person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York said: Also not all convicted felons are drug addicts (I most definitely am not)I don't do ANY drugs, and also there are decent people that have a record, like myself. Just because a person has a record doesn't make them a bad person.

Just an add on, not all convicted felons are violent people...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

vegas1 in Wausau, Wisconsin said: hi everyone, im seeking a new career ive been welding for 10 years and tired of it (getting old lol) i was looking into a career in nursing however i have a felony thats 15 years old for manufacturing meth i know thats a harsh conviction but beings its so old is that still looked at?

my friend i am sorry about the conviction, i also have a drug conviction i have been out 7 years aprox. now and i have found nothing but just do it yourself type employment mechanic, yard mowing, and house painting stuff like that. I can assure you that there are no nursing homes that will hire a felon either violent or nonviolent till the record is 1-expunged 2- a pardon is granted good luck with that or 3- the conviction is overturned one in a million on that one. I have hired an attorney and he said the reason no one wants a active felony record working with them is that the company,like a hospital or nursing home is responsible for hiring you therefore they can be sued under the should have known or did know the person was a convicted felon they were hiring, i have found that 97% of employers will not hire a felon until the record is clear that is a fact i found out the hard way.

72 months ago

bob in Portland, Oregon said: Also have a felony conviction, and have been working for the last 6 years, it should be NO trouble.

I KNOW BETTER THAN THAT. I have a felony and its almost impossible to get a job with an active felony on your record nowdays. even if you have like a misdermeaner or bad credit it can be hard to get a job now' much less a felony. the saying in the work place is we can be liable for hiring you, it puts us at risk of being sued if you do anything wrong and they are right it does. they are responsible for hiring a felon they either should have known or did know the person had a felony record. one employer was sued for 3.6 million for hiring a convicted felon when the felon who had a drug conviction swung a crane around and paralyzed a man on the job site.

Denise, CST,FA in Casselberry, Florida

72 months ago

Kimmeh1109 in Odessa, Texas said: I'm a medical assistant && looking into surgical technology but I have a felony charge for credit card theft/abuse. It happened 3 years ago, (served no jail time) but i'm still on deferred probation until I finish paying so I have a few more years to go. I was told I could have it expunged later, but I'm stuck with it until then. Well I wanted to know if I could still be able to obtain certification as a surgical tech. I am actually a pre-med student, but looking for a higher certification other than a MA to help pay off my dues before med school so I could have it expunged by then. Help please? Thanks

Medical assistants usually make more money in hospitals especially fed. gov. jobs than surgical tech. do. Surg. tech job can be very limited if you want to work in another field later. There are way more job openings as a medical assistant all across the nation. If you investigate both careers, currently, the medical assistant career is the biggest booming and higher paying health technician job.

Make sure you complete your probation, pay all of your fines and complete any counseling required by the courts.Don't test them.If you do "EXACTLY" what they say you will not have a record. There is no grey area and no way around any of it.You do it and you will be ready to get a job where ever you want.I would be careful trying to work in that field while you have that record pending though.That is more mud someone can sling at you.You can be turned down for jobs for "bogus" excuses and you should know that.Do your time and pay your fines and keep your mouth shut.Don't share that information anymore and unless is a signature required statements.

Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

You are so right about the liability being the responsibility of the Doctor, Hospital, Homehealth Coorporation or College if they hire you or allow you to attend their college. I don't care if it is a private, state or federal business or university, they are responsible and can be held liable if there is a felony clause in their job or college application contract. I am not telling anyone to throw up your hands and give up. I am just telling everyone, if you have been convicted of a felony (especially brutality or abuse to another human, hurt a child psychologically or sexually, robbed a bank or business, use, sale or manufacture of narcotics you do not need to attempt to get into the patient care and healthcare field.There are other jobs that you can do and specialize in with pride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Comment above was to Mike in Meridian, Mississippi.

Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Thanks Denise. I really appreciate your input on this. I already have a job as a med asst but it's only P/T so i've been looking elsewhere. I always put "will discuss in interview" when it asks about convictions. I always get call backs for interviews, but of course I don't always get hired. Completely understandable but I wont give up. I was a pre-med student when I made an awful decision to help my family. An easy way out. But I did suffer the consequences && am doing everything they're telling me to. I already took all the classes I need && did all my community service hours. I just need to keep up with payments. I've heard med asst's do make good money, but in the right cities. I live in Corpus. I need to move lol. I'm still studying medicine even with my conviction no matter how many times i'm turned down. What I did is wrong && I understand that && am still fixing it. I'm devoted. But the reason I wanted to become a surgical tech along the way is because I do hope to be a surgeon one day in the long future. && just in case I dont make it, atleast as a surgical tech i'd still be able to be in the OR.

Anyways, thanks for your honesty Denise. I really appreicate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I've already taken most classes. This is my last year before I receive my Bachelor's in Biology. The doctor I work for doesn't do background checks, but I told him about mine after he agreed to hire me. He didnt document it though. But I do understand what you're telling me. I honestly didnt think of that being documented with different employers && it affecting me later even AFTER it's expunged. Thank you very much for all this helpful information. I greatly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Everyone I want to make it as clear as i can about felonies and jobs in the medical field. To get a job in the medical field in any state in the USA you will need 1- to get the felony exspunged or 2- have the conviction overturned in court or 3- have the governor grant you a pardon. These can be done in many states for certain crimes commited at certain ages depends on the state. However if you do not get the felony off the record and it shows active when the background check is done YOU CAN NOT WORK IN ANY MEDICAL FIELD INCLUDING SOCIAL WORK NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS. the liabilty is much to extreme for a emploer to risk it besides all states have laws against active felony records being hired, licensed, and/or bonded period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

To Mike, i'm working in the medical field. && for my studies I have to complete rotations at certain facilities && i'm allowed to do so if the board says I can. They look at it on a case-to-case basis here in Texas. I guess it just depends on the state. I actually just got hired with a medical group. But it also depends on your qualifications. Because if you're not worth them even looking into it, then they won't. I have exceptionable qualifications && work history...that's why they granted me a board review. Without that, im more than sure they would have just dumped my app away. It depends on how you're turning it around. I would imagine if you have a felony && have done nothing to show you're even trying to better yourself than of course no one will believe you have learned a lesson. But i've done alot of volunteer work, have an outstanding gpa, && have work history in the medical field, so I was accepted to finish roations at a hospital && offered a job. I just hope all this is good enough for medical school. I will find out soon. It is possible Mike. But the passion && determination have to truly be there. As well as completing everything you are ask to complete during probation. I really want this. To help others. && i'm half way there. Hopefully everyone here has learned from their decisions leading to these backgrounds. I know I did. I just hope everyone here is truly making an effort to better themselves. Working in the medical field shouldn't be about us && our financial stability. It should be about patient care && what you can do to help them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wwwangel29 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Congratulations Kimmeh, I am truly happy for u, I believe that anything is possible as long as we believe in ourselves & you are a great example of that as well as the others that have pursued their dreams on this forum!! I wish you great success, my goal is to be a Nurse Practioner, I know this is the field for me as well because I am also very passionate about helping people.. thanks for the doses of encouragement & inspiration...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Med Asst in Bradenton, Florida

72 months ago

Kimmeh.finally someone with some sense! i was about to ask if mike was a lawyer and member of the bar assc in ALL 50 states considering all states have different laws and restrictions.and as far as being bonded did you not know that the federal bureau of prisons and the govt will bond felons and ex offenders for $50,000? if you didnt then google it. there is also a >$5000 tax deduction for business owners to encourage hiring of ex offenders.also the hiring of felons is the discretion of the business.if you have a felony it may be VERY tough to get into a large corporate practice in ex. hospitals. but if you know your stuff and have credentials mid size and especially smaller practices ( which most offices are) will probably give you a chance.its there office they can do as they please.HOWEVER dont expect this to be true if you have violent or sexual charges. if i sound like i know whatim talking about its because guess what.. im a felon! i had a felony drug charge, guilty without an expungement in 2003. graduated a medical school this year, yes they knew before i started,i recently finished my clinicals and was hired by my site as soon as my hours were done.i work directly with patients,triage, injections, caths,sonograms. some of yall say it cant happen well guess what it does.google AAMA ( american assc of medical assistants) criteria and they will tell you it does not disqualify you and thats national accredidation ( which is not mandatory to work as an M.A. anyways)so it can be done ive done it. Kimmeh, keep up the good work and nicely put. you know you can do already.dont let ignorant nay sayers tell you things you know arent true, especially since your already in the field. i know its hard for people to believe this sometimes, but ive made believers out of some of my friends that thought different and it feels good!!! now some of them ( with records) are enrolling in school for fall.its good to know we have the oppertunity to turn our lives around n help ppl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

level 1 in Farmington, Michigan said: Hire an attorney and have your record expunged (cleaned). Will cost $200-$500 but should be well worth it. As long as it's your only conviction and was 5+ years ago it is very doable.

I completed my 1st year of a surg tech program and was removed from the program before clinicals because of a felony back in 1980. I hired a lawyer and got the conviction exspunged and was let back back into the program and am now working as an CST. To get it exspunged there were rules, no other convictions of any king since the conviction, no exceptions. It took almost a year but I did it, so be patient not easy but it can be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.