Clinicals and Felony Conviction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 236)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Kimmeh1109 in Odessa, Texas

44 months ago

To Mike, i'm working in the medical field. && for my studies I have to complete rotations at certain facilities && i'm allowed to do so if the board says I can. They look at it on a case-to-case basis here in Texas. I guess it just depends on the state. I actually just got hired with a medical group. But it also depends on your qualifications. Because if you're not worth them even looking into it, then they won't. I have exceptionable qualifications && work history...that's why they granted me a board review. Without that, im more than sure they would have just dumped my app away. It depends on how you're turning it around. I would imagine if you have a felony && have done nothing to show you're even trying to better yourself than of course no one will believe you have learned a lesson. But i've done alot of volunteer work, have an outstanding gpa, && have work history in the medical field, so I was accepted to finish roations at a hospital && offered a job. I just hope all this is good enough for medical school. I will find out soon. It is possible Mike. But the passion && determination have to truly be there. As well as completing everything you are ask to complete during probation. I really want this. To help others. && i'm half way there. Hopefully everyone here has learned from their decisions leading to these backgrounds. I know I did. I just hope everyone here is truly making an effort to better themselves. Working in the medical field shouldn't be about us && our financial stability. It should be about patient care && what you can do to help them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wwwangel29 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Congratulations Kimmeh, I am truly happy for u, I believe that anything is possible as long as we believe in ourselves & you are a great example of that as well as the others that have pursued their dreams on this forum!! I wish you great success, my goal is to be a Nurse Practioner, I know this is the field for me as well because I am also very passionate about helping people.. thanks for the doses of encouragement & inspiration...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Med Asst in Bradenton, Florida

44 months ago

Kimmeh.finally someone with some sense! i was about to ask if mike was a lawyer and member of the bar assc in ALL 50 states considering all states have different laws and restrictions.and as far as being bonded did you not know that the federal bureau of prisons and the govt will bond felons and ex offenders for $50,000? if you didnt then google it. there is also a >$5000 tax deduction for business owners to encourage hiring of ex offenders.also the hiring of felons is the discretion of the business.if you have a felony it may be VERY tough to get into a large corporate practice in ex. hospitals. but if you know your stuff and have credentials mid size and especially smaller practices ( which most offices are) will probably give you a chance.its there office they can do as they please.HOWEVER dont expect this to be true if you have violent or sexual charges. if i sound like i know whatim talking about its because guess what.. im a felon! i had a felony drug charge, guilty without an expungement in 2003. graduated a medical school this year, yes they knew before i started,i recently finished my clinicals and was hired by my site as soon as my hours were done.i work directly with patients,triage, injections, caths,sonograms. some of yall say it cant happen well guess what it does.google AAMA ( american assc of medical assistants) criteria and they will tell you it does not disqualify you and thats national accredidation ( which is not mandatory to work as an M.A. anyways)so it can be done ive done it. Kimmeh, keep up the good work and nicely put. you know you can do already.dont let ignorant nay sayers tell you things you know arent true, especially since your already in the field. i know its hard for people to believe this sometimes, but ive made believers out of some of my friends that thought different and it feels good!!! now some of them ( with records) are enrolling in school for fall.its good to know we have the oppertunity to turn our lives around n help ppl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

level 1 in Farmington, Michigan said: Hire an attorney and have your record expunged (cleaned). Will cost $200-$500 but should be well worth it. As long as it's your only conviction and was 5+ years ago it is very doable.

I completed my 1st year of a surg tech program and was removed from the program before clinicals because of a felony back in 1980. I hired a lawyer and got the conviction exspunged and was let back back into the program and am now working as an CST. To get it exspunged there were rules, no other convictions of any king since the conviction, no exceptions. It took almost a year but I did it, so be patient not easy but it can be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cardio/internal in Huntington Station, New York

44 months ago

I try to stay positive and realize that luck has more to do with me getting hired than anything else. If I don't get the job it's because it was not meant to be.
I interview my prospective employers. I've been through hell and back working in different offices with the cattiness and jealousy that sometimes come along with working with women. I want to know how my boss handles office conflict. I want to know if there's room for advancement before I waste my time dedicating myself. What's the incentive other than a paycheck and happy patients? Can I learn new things? Am I allowed to care for the patients?
I need to know these things before I can accept any employment offers.
Life is short, don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in New York, New York

43 months ago

It all depends on the State you are living in. The best thing to do after being either released from confinement or probation is to apply for a Certificate of Relief from Criminal Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. This will help in obtaining a State license for those with State or Federal Convictions.
It may be necessary to move to a different State though as I mentioned above because certain State are better than others in terms of civil rights protection.

Normally, northern States have better laws against discrimination in employment following a criminal conviction. In New York State for instance nobody can be discriminated because of a criminal record. In fact it's even easy to be hired as a fireman/woman.

So, it's possible to find employment in the medical field or any other field with a criminal record but job-seekers may have to shop around and do some home-work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lety in Vista, California

43 months ago

I HAVE A QUESTION? I HAVE A DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE IN THE MILITARY FOR GOING AWOL WILL THAT DISQUALIFY ME IF I GET IN THE PROGRAM FOR CNA???? PLEASE ANYONE ANSWER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Centre, Alabama

43 months ago

Med Asst in Bradenton, Florida said: Kimmeh.finally someone with some sense! i was about to ask if mike was a lawyer and member of the bar assc in ALL 50 states considering all states have different laws and restrictions.and as far as being bonded did you not know that the federal bureau of prisons and the govt will bond felons and ex offenders for $50,000? if you didnt then google it. there is also a >$5000 tax deduction for business owners to encourage hiring of ex offenders.also the hiring of felons is the discretion of the business.if you have a felony it may be VERY tough to get into a large corporate practice in ex. hospitals. but if you know your stuff and have credentials mid size and especially smaller practices ( which most offices are) will probably give you a chance.its there office they can do as they please.HOWEVER dont expect this to be true if you have violent or sexual charges. if i sound like i know whatim talking about its because guess what.. im a felon! i had a felony drug charge, guilty without an expungement in 2003. graduated a medical school this year, yes they knew before i started,i recently finished my clinicals and was hired by my site as soon as my hours were done.i work directly with patients,triage, injections, caths,sonograms. some of yall say it cant happen well guess what it does.google AAMA ( american assc of medical assistants) criteria and they will tell you it does not disqualify you and thats national accredidation ( which is not mandatory to work as an M.A. anyways)so it can be done ive done it. Kimmeh, keep up the good work and nicely put. you know you can do already.dont let ignorant nay sayers tell you things you know arent true, especially since your already in the field. i know its hard for people to believe this sometimes, but ive made believers out of some of my friends that thought different and it feels good!!! now some of them ( with records) are enrolling in school for fall.its good to know we have the opper

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

imdeborah in Minneapolis, Minnesota

43 months ago

Mike,
Not sure where you are getting your info, because it is really off base. I was able to get licenses in the following stateswith a felony for grand larceny : Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Alaska, and Minnesota. My felony was 2 years prior to my first obtaining RN licensure and I was still on probation. Oh, and I've since gone back to school and now work for the Federal Government as an advanced practice nurse.

Helpful hint: Be totally honest and thorough on all applications for licensure. Get extra copies of certified court and probation/conviction records. If you don't include everything, they can deny a license saying that you didn't fully disclose something. Include letters of recommendation, etc.

One thing I was not honest with was telling the graduate program that I had a felony when I applied....I knew I could get licensed, and I didn't want the school to make a decision on my future. But they didn't require a background check. I was also prepared that I might not be able to work in advanced practice after graduation. Just took a chance.

Goodluck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike677 in Meridian, Mississippi

43 months ago

Prehaps the information I have gotten from the states nursing boards is wrong, however i have never personally seen a convicted felon be licensed by any nursing board unless 1- A pardon was given 2- an over turning of the conviction 3- an exspungement was granted. Every nursing college classes that i know of does a background check before you are even allowed into the nursing field of study. With background checks now as easy as a click on the net, felons have a very hard chance here in Mississippi of ever landing a good job. I say never give up, we must push for exspungement of felonies after a period of time has passed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Gary in Centre, Alabama said:

I am truly if I offended anyone. No i am not an attorney, however every medical field i have tried to get into in mississippi has a zero tolerance for convicted felons who have an active felony showing on their record. My friend was an R.N. and recieved a nonviolent felony and his license was taken immediately, however every state may not be as cruel as mississippi. As here once you get a felony i found that it becomes extremely difficult to find jobs in most any field now that backgrounds are so easly done.

smith in Brooklet, Georgia

43 months ago

cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Hi All,

I have a non-violent, non-sex related felony conviction (wire fraud) that has nothing to do with the healthcare field. I'm planning to attend Surgical Tech school in Jan. 08. I was informed by the director of the program that I many not be accepted for clinicals based on the felony. The crazy thing is that I spoke with a number of hospitals about hiring me after graduation from the program and some said it wouldn't be a problem, others said they look a case-by-case.

Can someone please explain why they will hire you to work for them, but won't allow you to do clinicals in their facility. I'm very upset about this...I've been anticipating this career for over 5 years and now that I have a chance to do it...it seems like its being taken away...Even the AST said my felony would not be a problem in getting my certification?!!!

Does anyone here know of anyone that has had a felony and made it through clinicals?

help!!! Cyndy

u need a lawyer...shouldn't cost much...get good one with experience.....to work on your record

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

My advice is to find out who at the hospital approves students to do clinicals there. I have been fully credentialed as a provider at three separate hospitals, also with a non-violent/non-drug related felony. Maybe find out who the head of the hospital credentialing committee is. My guess is that the training program turns over the background checks to the hospital and really doesn't know what happens from there.

You CAN get the training...and the work. I can't say that I still don't suffer from shame and embarrassment every time I have to provide all my documents to potential employers and facilities. It's been 18 years now...and although I'm more confident of getting hired and approved even with the felony, it's still hard.

Best of all to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

In my opinion, the expense of getting an attorney for an unlikely chance of an expulsion (especially if you plead guilty and didn't get convicted) is not worth it. Explain your story (but leave out anything about having a lousy lawyer). You really don't need a pardon or expulsion. Really, you don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Hi All,

I have a non-violent, non-sex related felony conviction (wire fraud) that has nothing to do with the healthcare field. I'm planning to attend Surgical Tech school in Jan. 08. I was informed by the director of the program that I many not be accepted for clinicals based on the felony. The crazy thing is that I spoke with a number of hospitals about hiring me after graduation from the program and some said it wouldn't be a problem, others said they look a case-by-case.

Can someone please explain why they will hire you to work for them, but won't allow you to do clinicals in their facility. I'm very upset about this...I've been anticipating this career for over 5 years and now that I have a chance to do it...it seems like its being taken away...Even the AST said my felony would not be a problem in getting my certification?!!!

Does anyone here know of anyone that has had a felony and made it through clinicals?

help!!! Cyndy

I too had a felony in 1980, made it through the 1st year of the program and it came up when I was to start clinicals and was dropped from the program. I then hired a lawyer and spent 1 year getting it removed from my record reapplied and was let back into the 2nd year. I am now working as a CST in Washington state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mtubbs in Tulsa, Oklahoma

42 months ago

cris in Brentwood, Tennessee said: It is unfortunate but true. The system is so messed up. I am currently in school studying law and I am going to do what I can to work on giving non-violent felons a chance. We pay our dues and our punishment and we suffer for a lifetime. I have been following some articles and recent movements with regard to the fourth amendment and non-violent felons right to bear arms. The NRA along with one of the Michigan senators is workign to overturn this since it is a violation of our constitutional right to protect our homes. There are a few different cases about it now. That is one step towards helping us get our rights back along with lives.

Why only non-violent felons? I have a violent charge but I was 18 then young and dumb i am in no way a violent person i guess I just wanted to fit in. but that doesnt make any sense. Some of us violent felons want another chance too i have big dreams and even though prison detoured my course im trying to get back on i just dont understand why people choose to just forget about us violent felons who do have a good head and realize their mistakes. i graduated valedictorian of my high school class and finished one year of nursing school at the to0p of my class. I believe I deserve another chance and so does any other felon out there not just the non violent ones or the just the violent ones but felons as a whole and i also believe that the :have you ever been convicted of a felony" question should just be removed completely and be replaced with are do you have any felonies regarding children, murder or any other serious offense as such but not just all violent charges. when employers see that you checked that box next to that question they automatically judge you from the check-mark. That is not fair. Why is this country so UN-just? Honestly I say we rally up as many felons as possible and march down to Washington and stay there protesting until they do something about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Centre, Alabama

42 months ago

I agree, we all need to do something about it. If they can give a child molester a second chance and allow them back on the street. Why the heck can't we be allowed to do the simple things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Miami, Florida

42 months ago

I have an appointment with the admissions person and the director of the program and possibly the dean to explain about my felony conviction 8 years ago I am stressing but hopeful that I will be admitted in Febuary

Cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi

41 months ago

I work for a nursing home. Baptist Hospitals in MS will not hire you if you have a felony. St. Francis Hospital in Memphis, TN I believe will hire you but I checked with several CST classes and all of them said that with the felony I probably wouldn't be able to do my clinical because of the hospital policies.

doME in Irving, Texas said: Hey, what hospital do you work at? if you were cleared to work as a CNA in a hospital, take that background check to the school where you are trying to enroll. they should take a cleared background check from that facility and that should clear you for clinicals. call and ask. I also have wire fraud charge. i googled "can wire fraud disqualify from working at a hospital" and ran across your post. I only have one semester left. I am in the process of trying to find a job so that I can finish up my last semester of nursing school. I got charged while I was in nursing school, and failed the last semester. I was not able to go back until i had a decision on my status. I plead guilty. But, anywho, I feel better knowing that there is someone in the state of Mississippi (i am also in mississippi) that has a fed charge and works in a hospital. its encouraging for me. Good Luck

41 months ago

Now that you've finished ranting...I will respond. Not to be rude, but at the time of this message a person was a little upset by the circumstances that I brought upon myself. Let me clear...I accepted responsibility for my crime and plead guilty, so there was not trial. I also agreed to make restitution payments which I have been paying for 5 years and will continue to pay now that I'm off probation. My problem is that when a person makes a mistake this Great country of ours and all of its citizens seems to have a hard time forgiving them for that mistake. If I were some celebrity or some rich politician, I'd be forgiven easily.

Denise, CST,FA said: PATIENTS ARE AT THE MERCY OF ALL OPERATING ROOM PERSONNEL!!!!!!!
If you were convicted of a felony and you actually understood and admitted the wrong and actually felt remorse for what you did, that would be great!

No, you want to push the bad on someone else. Stop Your Cry Baby Deception. Grow up, attempt to be honest, compassionate and Responsible for what you have done. If you can't be a Surgical Tech because of your past then start looking for another job. All you will do at this point, in the least, is cause turmoil in the Operating Room. It is bound and guaranteed to happen with you because you will not accept the judgement given to you and who knows there is probably a lot more to the story than you are telling the internet world.

If for some miracle you do admit that you are in the wrong, then I do wish you the very best in whatever career you end up in and I also wish you much Peace and Happiness in your life.

41 months ago

(cont.) If people aren't given second chances in life, how do you expect them not to repeat offend? I was once like you, thought if you committed a crime you got exactly what you deserve. Had a great career, never even got a speeding ticket. Model citizen. Due to one incredibly stupid moment in my life where I had a lack of judgment, I now have to live with this mistake for the rest of my life, because it can never be expunged. So I just want to say be careful who you associate yourself with, try to be understanding that no one is perfect and people deserve to be forgiven for mistakes, but most importantly be very careful when speaking to people from so high up because there could come a time when circumstances could bring you down off that pedestal. Believe me when I say its a long fall.

41 months ago

Thank you. I overlook people like her, because at one time I was like her. Its a long fall down from so high on that pedestal, I hope she never has to take it.

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York said: How about the Circulators, Surg Techs and Surgeons with no records that make huge mistakes in the operating rooms and cover it up... this happens all the time.. or the surgeon with the horrible temper that curses and intimidates his co workers. Just because a person has a record does not make them incapable and incompetent of performing these job functions, you never, know a convicted felon may actually make the best surg tech, these things that you are talking about happen every day and most likely by people with no record, what are you really saying that people with criminal records should not be hired at all.. So a person with a criminal record is incapable of being honest while performing counts and taking care of patients? Not all people are the same, you are stereotyping convicted felons and putting everyone in one box.. this is why when hiring a convicted felon it is decided on a case by case basis...

41 months ago

Bless you! Not all convicted felons are out to destroy the world or steal from someone. People make mistakes and because of one mistake, people like "Denise, CST,FA" are the reason that there are so many repeat offenders. People on here comment based on what we put down, and assume the rest. They really don't know anyone's circumstances for doing the crime in the first place, but once a person apologizes and does the time for the crime, why does society really need to continue to punish them for it? Can anyone answer that question?

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York said: Hi Everyone!! Just wanted to say the best person to find out if you will have a problem in getting certified or obtaining a license would be the associations that represent your field. I will soon be going to nursing school, (after I finish getting my Surgical Technology Associates Degree, which will be early next year) and I called the NYS State Board of Nursing, I spoke to a representative and she informed me that the NYS State Board of Nursing reviews cases on a case by case basis, she told me not to listen to people saying that I won't get hired or licensed because of having a record, she told me THEY are the ones that make the decision if I can get my RN license.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this forum, which is great, as for me I will continue to pursue my goals and dreams, regardless of what people on this forum say, good luck to everyone, stay inspired, determined, persistent, optimistic, and ambitious!!!

imdeborah in Chadron, Nebraska

41 months ago

teddybare842 in Brighton, Michigan said: A felony is a felony...dosent matter if it was alcohol or murder. Welfare fraud is worse than dui...you lied to the state to get something that was you were not entitled to. DUI a person just drank!

One crime is really not necessarily "worse" than another. My crime was a welfare-related felony. I currently work for the Federal Government as an advanced practice nurse...write up a letter explaining what happened, why, what's you've done to change and improve your situation....all supporting documents, letters of recommendation, etc.

Inflammatory statements really aren't very helpful to people who are looking for honest information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

imdeborah in Chadron, Nebraska

41 months ago

Sharon in New York, New York said: It all depends on the State you are living in. The best thing to do after being either released from confinement or probation is to apply for a Certificate of Relief from Criminal Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. This will help in obtaining a State license for those with State or Federal Convictions.
It may be necessary to move to a different State though as I mentioned above because certain State are better than others in terms of civil rights protection.

Normally, northern States have better laws against discrimination in employment following a criminal conviction. In New York State for instance nobody can be discriminated because of a criminal record. In fact it's even easy to be hired as a fireman/woman.

So, it's possible to find employment in the medical field or any other field with a criminal record but job-seekers may have to shop around and do some home-work.

I also was convicted in New York. After I was off probation I requested a "Certificate of Relief of Disabilities" from the sentencing judge. (and I got it) This basically recommends that you not be barred from licensure or employment based on the conviction. I think that some employers are afraid NOT to hire you with this certificate if you are otherwise qualified.

I was convicted in 1990, and I have not been turned down for any licenses since.(PA, GA, MN, AK, NM)

41 months ago

come to mississippi, these bible thumpers here will quickly turn you down, reguardless of rehabilitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a whited in Culpeper, Virginia

40 months ago

Can I become A cna and get hired after being convicted of forgery 15 years ago in the state of Va

dan in Concord, New Hampshire

40 months ago

lety in Vista, California said: I HAVE A QUESTION? I HAVE A DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE IN THE MILITARY FOR GOING AWOL WILL THAT DISQUALIFY ME IF I GET IN THE PROGRAM FOR CNA???? PLEASE ANYONE ANSWER.

The VA office nearest you and/or the school you are applying to can answer any questions you have about how/if your dishonorable discharge will affect your educational prospects. I know that you lost any GI Bill money you might have gotten due to your dishonorable discharge. All else is on a case by case basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

imdeborah in La Plata, New Mexico

40 months ago

a whited in Culpeper, Virginia said: Can I become A cna and get hired after being convicted of forgery 15 years ago in the state of Va

In my opinion, yes. Please read some of the posts above.

I need to temper my comment, though. Before I became a nurse I filled out dozens of applications for home health jobs. I had good experience and qualifications but did not get one job offer. Now that I'm a licensed person, I have never been turned down for a job. I think the only difference is the length of time since your conviction. 15 years is plenty to show that you've turned your life around, haven't reoffended, etc.

lisa in Van Nuys, California

36 months ago

I was convicted of a Class II Felony (Conspriracy to Transport Marijuana for Sales for 300lbs of Pot)in 1987 (24 YEARS) and have spent the last 18 years working in the mortgage industry as an Underwriter. I was planning on starting school for Ultrasound Technician this month and have now been advised by the school that they will not allow me to enroll unless I get a letter stating that the certification board (ARMDS) will state that they will allow me to take the Exam once I have completed 2 yrs of school and 1 yr of Internship. I have requested my court documents and must comply with the online overview of what they require and pay $125 to have their Board review and approve or reject my request to complete schooling and requirements and be allowed to take test and become certified. Has anyone out there completed this process? Been successful in obtaining approval from the Board ARMDS to take Certification Test? If anyone is familiar with this process, I would greatly appreciate any input or advise they may have to offer. I also had a DUI in 1994. Can any please help?
Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bre in Mentor, Ohio

36 months ago

Hello I know some post on here are ry old but guess we all on here have something in common we all paid are dues and have to live with it for the rest of our live and that is not right if we all stick together and write to the congress and keep it up they wioll listen that the problem we do not stick together we something this is our life isthis what we want to give up I know I o not it is a web site call hard2hire.com and it is forreal with job for felony and guess what when you sign up it ask you about your past so the job's on there already know I have calles several jobs that said they will and that was at a nusing home and I wasnt to be an RN it is vey possiable for those who moght want t work n the health care field might have to move to find a good job that what I am doing if any one has ay question please look me up. But come on everyone let's stand up it is time every one stand up for health care why need to make a change let's get it

liza9897 in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

Cyndy in Cleveland, Mississippi said: Thanks for the encouragement, but my felony is federal and can't be expunged. Believe me I've checked on it. I'm currently working as a CNA now. I'm trying to wait until 2010, when I come off probation to apply to school. The felony will be 5 years old and maybe the board won't look so hard at it. All I can do it try. If its for me than God will make sure I get it.

Cyndy

hi i am going through a federal case now and am a cna but cant find a job. so wat will i be able to go to school for?

liza9897 in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

tom in Chicago, Illinois said: I completed my 1st year of a surg tech program and was removed from the program before clinicals because of a felony back in 1980. I hired a lawyer and got the conviction exspunged and was let back back into the program and am now working as an CST. To get it exspunged there were rules, no other convictions of any king since the conviction, no exceptions. It took almost a year but I did it, so be patient not easy but it can be done.

hey tom i just got a wire fraud felony which is federal and could not be expunged but am currently a cna i was wondering wat i can continue in school as? i am also from chicago and looking for a job as a cna or secertary if you know anybody please let me know? thank you, maria.

cameron in Portland, Oregon

36 months ago

fed m.a. said: There's about 6 of us who all just got out of the. Feds in Florida,most of us are working as med assts but a friend of mine from. The same halfway house had bank fraud and wire fraud and she's working as a pharmacy tech,so you should be fine

are you serious? i have two misdeamdors for driving on suspended license convictions and toi thought it would be pointless to even try going to medical assistant school,, oh i live in florida by the way just visiting portland

lindaklook in Elmhurst, Illinois

34 months ago

cguess23@yahoo.com in Brentwood, Tennessee said: This is really important for all felons to read. There is a bill that is up that will offer expungement of some non-violent felons. It is called the SECOND CHANCE FOR EX-OFFENDERS ACT OF 2009. Write to your state officials in support of this bill. I have attached a link to it here. It would be a great help for non-violent felons. www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/111_HR_1529.html

I also wrote to some of the reps that are in support thanking them and telling them my story. Please do the same. Take the time because our voices have a chance to be heard.

www.thepetitionsite.com/1/from-freedom-to-forgiveness check out this petition

Can you give me more information on the second chance for ex-offenders act? I am off parole on Aug. 27,2011 and want to go to school to become a surgicsl tech,but don't know if possible because of my background of a drug poss.I have been clean for 20 months and my sponer is willing to write a letter to help me get into the program. Do you have any answers for me? thank-you, Linda

lindaklook in Elmhurst, Illinois

34 months ago

ladybug63 in Becket, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone..I am really concerned that once I graduate from surgical tech school, my past my haunt me...I am a recovering addict and I am afraid that once I start applying at the local hospitals for a job, I may not have a chance at it due to I have been red flagged at the hospitals for opiate addiction. does anyone have any info that they can share to help ease my fear.
Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Dear Ladybug, Just be honest with them and tell them how far you have come from your past.I too am in recovery with a felony for heoine,have been sober for 20 months and see my sponer every week. She said she would write a letter for me.I also am interested in going to school for surgical tech. I am praying on it. Good luck to you ,and let me know how everything turns out. Linda

Lay Lay in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

elle in San Diego, California said: I have a non violent felony (welfare fraud) from over 14 years ago. since then i have worked and paid my fine off. I too went into the medical field and my record keeps popping up. I cant do my clinicals I was told . But I havent even tried due to embarassment if it shows up. Its not like a DUI or a drug offense. I just worked part time while collecting welfare trying to get off of the aid. My Bad, I would of been better off with a heavy drug charge just shy of a felony! sad huh?

What you all don't understand is that your allowing that invisble noose to stay around your neck. You should seek to expunge or seal your record its not hard.. After so long you can do it, and no employers will be able to seek that part of your employment..

brandi_bbh in Arvada, Colorado

34 months ago

wwwangel29 in Bronx, New York said: Med Asst you are right on, I also commend you for staying determined and ambitious!! This is truly inspiring!! I too believe that any one can achieve what they set their mind to!!! Some people just lose hope, but everyone stay optimistic!! It may be hard but you can do it!!! I'm a Surgical Technology student, I have 1 more semester to go before clinicals, it is possible!! Let's all keep the faith!! I wish great success to you as well, stay encouraged and ambitious!! Thanks Med Asst!!

Any updates? Any luck finding job?

brandi_bbh in Arvada, Colorado

34 months ago

Come on there has to be more positive stories. Updates on these posts from along time ago. I google felon success stories an dcant find anything. Really no new 2011 posts either.

MandyNa in Marysville, Ohio

33 months ago

Hello, Im Mandy, I like the way you think. I read your response and had a question for you. An elderly friend of mine is in a tough situation and I thought maybe you would have some advice. She is about to be released from prison on August 5, 2011 after 1 1/2 years. Her children are reluctant to have her stay with them because they have children and are afraid because she has been encarcerated. I am trying to help in any way I can. She is 67 years old and has never been in trouble before this. She was encarcerated for supposedly taking advantage financially of a woman she was caring for. The story goes that she was set up by the broker of the lady bc her will was changed to include her and not the broker. So in this story two elderly individuals were targets in my opinion. So, she has no where to go when she gets out. Also, she was physically assulted while in prison and has had a stroke d/t the assault so she is unable to work now. Do you know of any resources available to help her in this situation? Housing? work? income? Im desperate for information as she gets out in less than two weeks.

Liza in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

Hi Mandy, I am very sorry to here about your friend and think that is horrible that they gave her any time due to the fact she has never been in trouble and is elder. I don't know too much about the law but what I have learned is that the probation officers should be able to help her get back on her feet. Especially because of her condition. If u don't mind me asking, why was she assaulted? Also is she in federal prison and what court system did she go to? I hope this helps you, I will try to do some research for you. I will pray for your friend for the best.

Cat in Utica, New York

33 months ago

My crime occurred shortly after 9/11. I lost my job and was in dire financial straits. When I finally found work, I continued to collect unemployment. The DA in the County was a real hard liner and even though I was a 1st offender, he pursued for a felony conviction. I ended up with Grand Larceny 4th degree. I paid the entire restitution, served 2 1/2 yrs. of a 5 yr probation sentence and completed community service. I was employed PRIOR to my conviction, so my employer never learned of my arrest or disposition. Several years later we were required to be licensed by the State, that's when my felony came to light and I was fired. My employer told me since my crime was fiduiary, and my job was financial in nature - they would have to let me go. I have not worked for 3 years. I lost my career, my home, my car, sold many personal belongings to survive and ultimately have moved in with my elderly parents. I was ultimately able to secure a part-time, slightly more than minimum wage job - but in all honesty, I lied on the application and after several months was so guilt ridden I quit. My employer told me they'd be happy to have me back, but I am too ashamed of lying to them in the first place.

This week I have an interview at a hospital for a clerk job, and I have the application already completed and will be happy to explain the circumstances. The application of the hospital says that 'anyone with a conviction is not necessarily barred from employment', so I am hopeful that my honesty and my qualifications will garner mercy from HR.

I know some people automatically thing, 'well you're a felon AND a liar' and that would be true. But I am facing up my past and will continue to push forward with honesty from now on. I've no desire to lie, steal, cheat, scam, etc... I just want to work and work hard and succeed ~ and by the grace of God, I will!

Cat in Utica, New York

33 months ago

Sorry about the previous spelling errors and typos, I neglected to spell and spot check. For all you 'Spelling Police' out there, please forgive me, lol.

gbuersmeyer in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

ladybug63 in Becket, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone..I am really concerned that once I graduate from surgical tech school, my past my haunt me...I am a recovering addict and I am afraid that once I start applying at the local hospitals for a job, I may not have a chance at it due to I have been red flagged at the hospitals for opiate addiction. does anyone have any info that they can share to help ease my fear.
Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

im reading every bodies questions and i have one i was convicted of a felony my ex husband murdered my daughter when she was 4 she would now be 21,anyway i went to prison for 120days 14 years ago and now it coming back to haunt me cause i cannot get a job,and i cannot get it expunged in the state of missouri,is there some where else ican go to take my certification as a surgical technologist.i'm asking cause i feel the same way you do,im going thru all this traning will i be able to get a job in the field im going to school for?

diva in Vienna, Virginia

31 months ago

I have a misdemeanor[embezzlement] of less than $200. It has been 5 yrs since the incident. It is the only record I have. I want to study nursing and/ or public health and work in NGO and INGO like WHO and UN.
Can any one tell if I will get any job?? The charge was charged in Va, so can it be Expunged?

diva in Vienna, Virginia

31 months ago

I have a misdemeanor[embezzlement] of less than $200. It has been 5 yrs since the incident. It is the only record I have. I want to study nursing and/ or public health and work in NGO and INGO like WHO and UN.
Can any one tell if I will get any job?? The charge was charged in Va, so can it be Expunged? there was no probation, but I was fined which is already paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beachie Girl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

I have 4 feloney drug charges from 8 yr's ago and misd. sex charges from 8 yr's ago. I finished school for Massage Therapy and was at first denied my National License, I filed an appeal and won because of my strong reference letters and all that I have done to change my life!!!!! I applied for a Florida State License and was informed of a law that was passed in July 1st 2011, that says it has to be fifthteen yr's since my last day of probation and feloney. I have a lawyer working on this and I am not going to give up. I have payed my dues and have changed every area of my life. There has to be something that I can do to be able to work in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wrong turn in life in Green Bay, Wisconsin

31 months ago

Marie0182 in Minnesota said: I was just curious if anyone knows anything about the Surgical Tech programs in Minnesota. I am currently seeking admission into a few of them and know they run criminal background checks. Within the past year I have gotten a DUi and want to know if this is going to hinder my chances at all? I am most interested in learning about St. Cloud tech and St. Mary's in MPLS. THANKS!

good luck, with a dui ontop of your charge, in minnesota they dont have much pity for dui drivers, i would look into it and ask a school conselor, i think they would be able to answer that for you. i lived in that state too and man, that state isnt so sympathetic to unfortunate people like us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TEAG in Arvada, Colorado

31 months ago

teddybare842 in Brighton, Michigan said: A felony is a felony...dosent matter if it was alcohol or murder. Welfare fraud is worse than dui...you lied to the state to get something that was you were not entitled to. DUI a person just drank!

That is NOT true! There are those out there who were convicted of a felony when it was NOT warranted, NOT deserved, and NOT proven. For those who have these unjust convictions they are victims of circumstance and were ill-advised by their public defender or the DA's office. In my case I was given INCORRECT advice by my social worker about an death insurance policy from my mother. I reported the receipt of this small check just as I was supposed to do. My worker at that time was a temporary case worker and she told me that she would file the appropriate report in my file. She did NOT do what she said she would do. Consequently, during a custody battle my EX accused me of welfare fraud in an attempt to get out of paying child support for my daughter, which started the whole farce rolling. The investigator continued the BS I was being fed by telling me that it would just be considered like an interest free loan from the state because it was such a small amount. NOT TRUE! This was in CA where all of this took place over 16 years ago. I no longer live in that state and feel sorry for all those poor saps who still live there. That is THE most CROOKED state in the Union!! The cops are crooked, the judicial system is crooked, the politicians are crooked! They do NOT care whether a person is actually GUILTY or not! They will CONVICT anyway so that they can rape you for whatever money they can get out of you. I TOLD THE TRUTH FROM DAY ONE BUT IT DIDN'T MATTER. I FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS FROM THOSE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THEIR JOBS, now I'm STUCK with the consequences of their ignorance and my inability to KNOW that they were giving me WRONG information/instructions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kona in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

TEAG, you are so right about Cali. My brother was convicted in 1988 of a felony, first offense and they thru the book at him. He had 1 more which gave him his first strike. After that ANY misdemenaor offense automatically turns into a Felony even though the actual charge isnt. He is lucky he is now off paper almost 2 years. We are moving to Colorado in the spring. His last conviction was 2003. served his time, ordered 2 years in a program, unfortantley had a violation, but serve his last year on parole and has been clean ever since. Since his last conviction was 8 years ago, will the violation count??? What is the real work situtaion in Colorado??? Even looking fo an apartment??? I will have the stable background and earnings, but he will live with me.. What are his honest chances?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.