Clinicals and Felony Conviction

Comments (201 to 234 of 234)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

karla in Cleveland, Ohio

37 months ago

i have a comment in response to this. i have a felony on my record from 2008, since then i have attanded school for medical assistant and obtained my liscense through the AMT. so y is it the AMT will liscense me but a job wont hire me???

mike677 in Meridian, Mississippi said: Everyone I want to make it as clear as i can about felonies and jobs in the medical field. To get a job in the medical field in any state in the USA you will need 1- to get the felony exspunged or 2- have the conviction overturned in court or 3- have the governor grant you a pardon. These can be done in many states for certain crimes commited at certain ages depends on the state. However if you do not get the felony off the record and it shows active when the background check is done YOU CAN NOT WORK IN ANY MEDICAL FIELD INCLUDING SOCIAL WORK NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS. the liabilty is much to extreme for a emploer to risk it besides all states have laws against active felony records being hired, licensed, and/or bonded period.

not enough time in Opp, Alabama

37 months ago

alabama doesnt expunge records. and from what i was told the pardon just gives you voting and gun rights back.

Cole in Brownsville, Texas

35 months ago

mtubbs in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Why only non-violent felons? I have a violent charge but I was 18 then young and dumb i am in no way a violent person i guess I just wanted to fit in. but that doesnt make any sense. Some of us violent felons want another chance too i have big dreams and even though prison detoured my course im trying to get back on i just dont understand why people choose to just forget about us violent felons who do have a good head and realize their mistakes. i graduated valedictorian of my high school class and finished one year of nursing school at the to0p of my class. I believe I deserve another chance and so does any other felon out there not just the non violent ones or the just the violent ones but felons as a whole and i also believe that the :have you ever been convicted of a felony" question should just be removed completely and be replaced with are do you have any felonies regarding children , murder or any other serious offense as such but not just all violent charges. when employers see that you checked that box next to that question they automatically judge you from the check-mark. That is not fair. Why is this country so UN-just? Honestly I say we rally up as many felons as possible and march down to Washington and stay there protesting until they do something about that.

I too am a violent offender. I know where you are coming from...I picked up an Aggravated Robbery charge at 18 am having a hard time finding a job...I earned my Associates Degree while incarcerated and was working toward my Bachelors. I dropped out due to the difficulty of being told by academic advisers that with my conviction any field of advanced study would be pointless because I wouldn't be allowed to get "bonded" and no one was going to hire me...So now I end up working meaningless jobs and worry all the time as to whether I will be able to ever find a decent job

Tonia Gibbs in Federal Heights, Colorado

35 months ago

Cole in Brownsville, Texas said: I too am a violent offender. I know where you are coming from...I picked up an Aggravated Robbery charge at 18 am having a hard time finding a job...I earned my Associates Degree while incarcerated and was working toward my Bachelors. I dropped out due to the difficulty of being told by academic advisers that with my conviction any field of advanced study would be pointless because I wouldn't be allowed to get "bonded" and no one was going to hire me...So now I end up working meaningless jobs and worry all the time as to whether I will be able to ever find a decent job

I feel for you both! Though I am not a violent offender I can certainly understand where you are coming from. On a personal note I agree with you that you should be allowed a second chance. Not all felons, violent or otherwise, are career criminals, some just make mistakes and pay for them in whatever way the courts choose as well as in other ways. I do NOT believe that good people who make mistakes should have to pay for it their entire lives. EVERYONE deserves a second chance.

And people wonder why criminals become career criminals! It's because no very FEW people are willing to give them a second chance so that they have no choice but to take the path of least resistance! Those nincompoops need to have a serious reality check and realize that THEY are the ones holding the "criminals" back. We are all under the so called "respectable, good people" back. Refusing to allow them to prove themselves and live a decent life after having paid for their mistake. Just my 2 cents. I wish you both well. Be Blessed.

MP in Houston, Texas

34 months ago

I have 20 year old non violent felony against property. I was a teenager. Although I was granted permission to get an RN license in TX, it was pointless. I have a BSN, a MSN, an MBA and an unrestricted license as an RN. Today I still can't get a job. It doesn't matter what you've overcame. I am unemployed....

Deshia in Lawrenceville, Georgia

34 months ago

Denise, CST,FA in Casselberry, Florida said: You are so right about the liability being the responsibility of the Doctor, Hospital , Homehealth Coorporation or College if they hire you or allow you to attend their college. I don't care if it is a private, state or federal business or university, they are responsible and can be held liable if there is a felony clause in their job or college application contract . I am not telling anyone to throw up your hands and give up. I am just telling everyone, if you have been convicted of a felony (especially brutality or abuse to another human, hurt a child psychologically or sexually, robbed a bank or business, use, sale or manufacture of narcotics you do not need to attempt to get into the patient care and healthcare field.There are other jobs that you can do and specialize in with pride.

Hi I'm in college working towards my bachelors in nursing I have had my charge expunged for free because it was class d.im already a Cna working for a home health agency but I'm curious about me getting a good job when I finish college...I don't want to waste my time but I'm positive and I want this more than anything...

gwopp189 in Pompano Beach, Florida

33 months ago

Hi im moving to Ny i have 3 convicted felonies in florida they are posession of cocaine and marijuana and grand theft auto would i have a problem or would they be able to see these felonies in ny and if so would i be able to get a good job like working for the union my newest felony is 3 years and two of the oldest are about 5 years old i want to know so i can see what jobs i can go for and would also like to be a nurse could i go into that field also and would colleges accept me please answer asap ive asked many people and they dont know

gwopp189 in Pompano Beach, Florida

33 months ago

Hi im moving to Ny i have 3 convicted felonies in florida they are posession of cocaine and marijuana and grand theft auto would i have a problem or would they be able to see these felonies in ny and if so would i be able to get a good job like working for the union my newest felony is 3 years and two of the oldest are about 5 years old i want to know so i can see what jobs i can go for and would also like to be a nurse could i go into that field also and would colleges accept me please answer asap ive asked many people and they dont know

Rhonda Valentin in Clearwater, Florida

32 months ago

Cyndy,

Are you still working as a CNA? I have a misdemeanor (missed a court date, suspended license 2011). I am trying to find out, would it be difficult for me to get a cna job? I am thinking about taking the cna courses.

alyssa d1 in mesa, Arizona

29 months ago

yes this things wowrking cuz i don't see my post

alyssa d1 in mesa, Arizona

29 months ago

i took heroin for the first(last) time and overdosed. i woke up in the er and had blood drawn for evidence. when i returned to work the police dept had called employer and i was terminated for drug use. i'm currently trying to find a job and not being successful. i have not been charged with anything yet but was told by drug task force agent that once my blood work come back that i could be charged with possession. should i continue to look for a CST job or is my career in the medical field over?

charjones in Cincinnati, Ohio

28 months ago

Denise, you are so right and I appreciate your post! I feel like I had set my heart, mind and soul on Healthcare that I can not see straight! We need to look in other directions, but where? My mind is warped and my emotions are running high....I need to look into another direction....

Laz in El Paso, Texas

28 months ago

MP in Houston, Texas said: I have 20 year old non violent felony against property. I was a teenager. Although I was granted permission to get an RN license in TX, it was pointless. I have a BSN, a MSN, an MBA and an unrestricted license as an RN. Today I still can't get a job. It doesn't matter what you've overcame. I am unemployed....

Hello you need to start looking into opening your own private practice and create a business. Apply for all the necessary medical payment programs and insurances so you can start seeing clients as well as getting reimbursed and also hire other professionals you have the license then you should be able to do supervision as well. This way you don't need to work for others and start working for yourself so you can move forward. God Bless.

mufasa69penny in Appleton, Wisconsin

26 months ago

Chance 12 in Celina, Ohio said: Hello, I was arrested for domestic violence and later the charges were dismissed. I have been told to put no on the box for being convicted of a felony, but it shows up on a background check even though it was dismissed.

i was told that dismissed means you were never convicted so it doesnt count.they shouldnt even look at it

mufasa69penny in Appleton, Wisconsin

26 months ago

wrong turn in life in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: good luck, with a dui ontop of your charge, in minnesota they dont have much pity for dui drivers , i would look into it and ask a school conselor,

i dont know about that but i have 3 dui's and i have been sober and am going to school to be a substance abuse counselor and then mental health counselor.they said that i wouldnt have any problems.as long as they arent sexual convictions or violent convictions

jasmine in Calumet City, Illinois

25 months ago

Angela in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hello my Charge is conspiracy to commit home invasion robbery no priors...
I have two felons in illinois and i am a cna u have to get a waiver i am currently going to school for my rn

Cisco in San Leandro, California

24 months ago

Chance 12 in Celina, Ohio said: Hello, I was arrested for domestic violence and later the charges were dismissed. I have been told to put no on the box for being convicted of a felony, but it shows up on a background check even though it was dismissed. I am a CST and now very confused as how to proceed, if I should continue to follow this dream or head off in a new direction. Please help.

Heres what happened and dont listen to anything else k. Ive done lots of homework on this legal matter. So im in CA, law here might be different. Most states tend to follow or copy our laws in time. Ive asked lawyers, court clerks etc too. OK SOOOO! Sounds like you got your record EXPUNGED, which means your were guilty and therefore convicted. You followed through to meet the terms of your punishment (probation, jail time, community service, or completed waiting period... whatever)
So the Justice Dept needed to come up with something to give people a chance, otherwise they will be screwed and do whatever it takes to survive. So in my state its called article 1402.2 something like that. What expungement means is that your guilty plea is turned into a not guilty or no contest and the conviction is SET ASIDE per 1402.2 and DISMISSED. Had you never been convicted in the first place you would be eligible to get your record SEALED not expunged. When its sealed only certain people can see it, government officials etc. Anyone else needs a legal process to unseal it. And after a period of i think 3 years the record will be destroyed

24 months ago

Laz in El Paso, Texas said: Hello you need to start looking into opening your own private practice and create a business . Apply for all the necessary medical payment programs and insurances so you can start seeing clients as well as getting reimbursed and also hire other professionals you have the license then you should be able to do supervision as well. This way you don't need to work for others and start working for yourself so you can move forward. God Bless.

Thats good advice, i would also even think about moving to more hungry job markets for your field. Youve sacrificed alot to do what you do. Its very hard for felons to do anything in this country. Sucks, almost no such thing as a second chance. But you got to explore job markets in other states, avoid highly desirable places to live like NY, SF bay area, Miami, San Diego, Boston etc. (competition)

24 months ago

mufasa69penny in Appleton, Wisconsin said:

So when my background check FINALLY came back it showed EVERYTHING, lots of lil stuff but the two most serious was possession of a dangerous weapon and DUI. Only concern was the weapon charge. Even though everything was 1402.2 Dismissed it was overshadowed by being at the end of each paragraph. I was let go. SUCKS. To them you were arrested for that PERIOD. Pretty much thats how it is. Depends on what company does the background check too, some wont show expungements. One way to help cover your ass in the application when they ask "have you been convicted" say "yes however it was expunged per 1402.2 amd dismissed". Some applications tell you not to include anything that was expunged...which is cool. I would talk to Human Resources if you can about what to do. I was caught off guard when it showed and i looked and sounded pretty stupid. I know what to do better next time. Also with ANYTHING that indicates VIOLENCE on your record, dismissed or not its a red flag to the people that will hire you, its a hard up hill battle

24 months ago

mufasa69penny in Appleton, Wisconsin said:

Come to think of it, i dont think you can expunge a felony in CA. You can only expunge misdemeanors. I would talk to as many legal pros in the court you were charged at. Talk to people at law libary, court clerk whatever, spend at least an hour seeking advice.

Tonia Gibbs in Federal Heights, Colorado

24 months ago

To Cisco in San Leandro, the state of CA (otherwise known as HELL) does indeed allow for a felony conviction to be expunged. It just takes MONEY. You have to hire a lawyer and pay court fees, filing fees, etc. as well as attorney fees. but it can be done. It just takes money, as anyone who has lived in CA they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY there! So if you have it and you don't mind giving it to CA you can get your conviction expunged even if it is a felony. Misdemeanors go away on their own eventually. Statute of Limitations allows for that but Felonies don't have a statute of limitations which is why you have to get the conviction expunged.

23 months ago

Tonia Gibbs in Federal Heights, Colorado said: To Cisco in San Leandro, the state of CA (otherwise known as HELL) does indeed allow for a felony conviction to be expunged. It just takes MONEY. You have to hire a lawyer and pay court fees, filing fees, etc. as well as attorney fees. but it can be done. It just takes money, as anyone who has lived in CA they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY there! So if you have it and you don't mind giving it to CA you can get your conviction expunged even if it is a felony. Misdemeanors go away on their own eventually. Statute of Limitations allows for that but Felonies don't have a statute of limitations which is why you have to get the conviction expunged.

So I am confused so help me understand...someone PLEASE! I have two passing bad check charges 2 months prior to felony/fraud/overpayment of welfare monies. I thought the only way you were able to get anything expunged is if there were no prior charges. Mine were 2 checks misdemeanors 1/1994 followed by welfare fraud/theft 3/1994 felony. Please respond. Thanks everyone.

23 months ago

charjones in Cincinnati, Ohio said: So I am confused so help me understand...someone PLEASE! I have two passing bad check charges 2 months prior to felony/fraud/overpayment of welfare monies. I thought the only way you were able to get anything expunged is if there were no prior charges. Mine were 2 checks misdemeanors 1/1994 followed by welfare fraud/theft 3/1994 felony. Please respond. Thanks everyone.

Oh sorry, I am in Cincinnati Ohio

Neika in Mesquite, Texas

19 months ago

Kimmeh1109 in Odessa, Texas said: I'm a medical assistant && looking into surgical technology but I have a felony charge for credit card theft/abuse. It happened 3 years ago, (served no jail time) but i'm still on deferred probation until I finish paying so I have a few more years to go. I was told I could have it expunged later, but I'm stuck with it until then. Well I wanted to know if I could still be able to obtain certification as a surgical tech. I am actually a pre-med student, but looking for a higher certification other than a MA to help pay off my dues before med school so I could have it expunged by then. Help please? Thanks

I have a felony in Credit Card Abuse. On deferred probation when they run your background it only show that you was arrested(even if you didn't do any jail time) because they had to book you in. but once you come off of probation that is when it will show that you have a felony and what the felony is. So I suggest that you find something right now while you are on probation. I just didn't know at the time of my probation and when I did the judge granted early release for me..Goodluck

mela in Chicago Heights, Illinois

18 months ago

I'm trying to go back to school for pharmacy tech, but the only problem is I have a background that happen in 2007 for robbery, I'm still on probation for it,the only problem is will I be able to enroll in school And find a job? can somebody please help me. Live in Illinois

16 months ago

gwopp189 in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi im moving to Ny i have 3 convicted felonies in florida they are posession of cocaine and marijuana and grand theft auto would i have a problem or would they be able to see these felonies in ny and if so would i be able to get a good job like working for the union my newest felony is 3 years and two of the oldest are about 5 years old i want to know so i can see what jobs i can go for and would also like to be a nurse could i go into that field also and would colleges accept me please answer asap ive asked many people and they dont know

Your going to have a tuff time, your felonies are still new. Shoot not even the military would take you because they think you wont obey, id give them a serious try though because it will look like you COMPLETELY changed your life if accepted. I should have joined. Assuming your off parole I would talk to your parole officer and talk to people in Human Resources for any job you want, they will give you a straight up answer for career advice since your not actually applying. If you talk to them like you are applying then they are going to cover their ass and beat around the bush so they dont sound like they are discriminating. My advice is get really good at math no matter what.

16 months ago

MP in Houston, Texas said: I have 20 year old non violent felony against property. I was a teenager. Although I was granted permission to get an RN license in TX, it was pointless. I have a BSN, a MSN, an MBA and an unrestricted license as an RN. Today I still can't get a job. It doesn't matter what you've overcame. I am unemployed....

Try Detroit, Michigan or place people dont want to move to.

16 months ago

Tonia Gibbs in Federal Heights, Colorado said: To Cisco in San Leandro, the state of CA (otherwise known as HELL) does indeed allow for a felony conviction to be expunged. It just takes MONEY. You have to hire a lawyer and pay court fees, filing fees, etc. as well as attorney fees. but it can be done. It just takes money, as anyone who has lived in CA they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY there! So if you have it and you don't mind giving it to CA you can get your conviction expunged even if it is a felony. Misdemeanors go away on their own eventually. Statute of Limitations allows for that but Felonies don't have a statute of limitations which is why you have to get the conviction expunged.

Yes I recently learned you are correct somewhat. Im pretty sure that a felony conviction cannot be expunged HOWEVER it can be reduced to a misdemeanor after meeting conditions and then expunged.

16 months ago

Rhonda Valentin in Clearwater, Florida said: Cyndy,

Are you still working as a CNA ? I have a misdemeanor (missed a court date, suspended license 2011). I am trying to find out, would it be difficult for me to get a cna job? I am thinking about taking the cna courses.

I wouldnt worry too much. Those are not too bad.

16 months ago

charjones in Cincinnati, Ohio said: So I am confused so help me understand...someone PLEASE! I have two passing bad check charges 2 months prior to felony/ fraud /overpayment of welfare monies. I thought the only way you were able to get anything expunged is if there were no prior charges. Mine were 2 checks misdemeanors 1/1994 followed by welfare fraud/theft 3/1994 felony. Please respond. Thanks everyone.

Yea to get something expunged mean no priors in the same charge. For instance i was convicted for possession of martial arts weapon. Even Nunchucks are a felony in CA, yea those wooden sticks bruce lee would swing around. Ok months later my room is searched, i couldve sworn i got rid of everything and lo and behold they find a dagger. Luckily they believed me and i just got my probation re-instated and completed the terms of my probation without violation. I was then later eligible to get it expunged. If i was convicted for the same thing again i would really be screwed right now. Weapons possesion convictions do not look good right now with all the shootings going on TV.

16 months ago

charjones in Cincinnati, Ohio said: So I am confused so help me understand...someone PLEASE! I have two passing bad check charges 2 months prior to felony/ fraud /overpayment of welfare monies. I thought the only way you were able to get anything expunged is if there were no prior charges. Mine were 2 checks misdemeanors 1/1994 followed by welfare fraud/theft 3/1994 felony. Please respond. Thanks everyone.

If you want to know if you can get it expunged you have to go to the court where you were convicted at. I encourage you to try but I gotta be honest and say that in my state you might be ineligible for expungement. From now on at least just keep your nose clean and keep putting distance between who you were then and now.

16 months ago

Although your conviction may be dismissed, restrictions resulting from the conviction cannot. An expungement does not:
Remove the conviction from your criminal history. California and FBI criminal history records will still show the conviction and the subsequent dismissal.
Seal the court case file from public inspection. The court file remains public record.
Reinstate your right to possess firearms. In some cases, reduction of a non-violent felony to a misdemeanor may accomplish this.
Relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender. In some cases, this may be accomplished by a different motion to the court.
Allow you to omit the conviction from applications for government-issued licenses.
You must disclose your conviction and expungement in your license application.
Allow you to omit the conviction from application for government employment. If you are applying for a government job, a job that requires security clearance, or a job that requires a government-issued license, certificate, or permit, you must disclose the conviction and expungement.
Allow you to hold public office, if the conviction prevented you from doing so.
Prevent the conviction from being used to refuse or revoke a government license or permit, such as real estate license, teaching credential, security guard certificate, etc.
Prevent the conviction from being used as a "prior." The dismissed conviction can be used for determining sentencing enhancements in subsequent convictions.
Prevent the conviction from being used by the DMV. Expunged convictions may be used to suspend or revoke driving privileges.
Prevent the conviction from being used by US Citizenship and Immigration Services. In many situations, an expunged conviction may be considered for removal or exclusion purposes.

a little less judgemental in Friendswood, Texas

11 months ago

you know, sometimes people make mistakes. In fact, we learn the most when we make mistakes. Trial and error make the biggest impact on our lives. Everyone deserves a second chance. A friend of mine was caught with a bag of meth while in dental school. The judge let him seek treatment and he is now thriving in his private practice. One mistake is ok. Two....well, that is a habit.

The judgemental one day will be judged in Akron, Ohio

2 months ago

Be very carefu judging people because one day you will be standing at judgement day. Only by the grace of God are we in the position that we are in, referencing to the one's who don't have felonies,for one day in a split of a moment could we be caught up in any situation that we wouldn't never think that we could be in. Show compassion and mercy in every situation and be very careful OF who you judge.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.