Dissappointed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

jenifere in Fredericksburg, Virginia

96 months ago

I am a CST, I went to school in 1994 ~gasp~ and in 2002 I left the work force to have a couple of babies and this past April I decided to go back to work. I pulled out my books that I've been lugging around for more than a decade, did a quick overview and took the CST test again. Passed it without an issue and went to work.

I ran into another CST whom I worked with years ago and we were talking about this whole certification/pay issue. I had no idea that anyone could work without being a CST, but here in VA it doesn't seem to be a big deal for employers.

A couple of weeks ago I did get a letter in the mail about the local assembly and my friend and I are talking about getting involved instead of just complaining about the issues and actually doing something about it. It has been a difficult transition for me since I went back to work to balance family with working full time and having enough time to get involved. But that is our goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gvilla83 in Silver Spring, Maryland

91 months ago

Hello,
I am a Active duty Navy Surgical Technologist/Assistant and I am looking for current Surgical Technologist or past Technologist that were trained in the Navy. I am a CST, and a CSA, I attended Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting for my NSAA certification. I have been a Surgical Technologist/Assistant for about 3 1/2 years now at NNMC Bethesda in Maryland. I would like to say most people on this site have good intentions, but some post I read on this site are just plain wrong and some people are ignorant to the actual truth. I am writing this to let future CST's, CSA's, and CFA's that if you want to know the facts call the organizations or look at their websites. I came to this site for resources and future job openings, if someone can help me sort through the mess and actually help myself and others please contact me. Far as I know, I am the only practicing CSA in the Navy(looking for others), so its hard for me to find people to network with, or even talk to about the industry. Thank you! George

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shorty in Greensboro, North Carolina

88 months ago

I have been wanting to start the surgical program here in Greensboro but I have been out of school over 14years so at GTCC you have to have had an biology with in the last 10 years and has you can see I have been out longer do anyone know of another school that I can attend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Spear101 in High Point, North Carolina

88 months ago

Any legitimate school is going to require that you take the proper pre-requisites. I can tell you that if you haven't had a bio course in over ten years you will not be prepared for the full fledged anatomy & physiology courses. I also go to GTCC...you need to take bio 094. If you're not in the program now, you have to wait until the 2010 program anyway, so you have plenty of time to knock those classes out. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brown5626@*****.*** in Greensboro, North Carolina

87 months ago

michelle in Greenville, North Carolina said: hey i am living in north carolina around the greensboro area and i am really interested in becoming a surgical tech. I have done a bit of research on trying to find schools close to greensboro, but i cant find any. If any one knows of any please help me out. I'm looking to hopefully travel no more than 30 min to an hour out of the way...

Rockingham Community College
Wentworth, NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Spear101 in High Point, North Carolina

87 months ago

Michelle,

Guilford Technical Community College has a great surgical tech program. It's in Jamestown, right between High Point and Greensboro. I think Fayetteville Community College offers one as well.

Be Careful in Jacksonville, Florida

87 months ago

Do your research before you go to an allied health program. Do your homework. Go to www.ast.org and read everything and visit every link including the forum

Deborah in Roanoke, Texas

87 months ago

Jeff in Lavon, Texas said: I'm glad to finally read something positive on this board about CST's! I am finishing my first semester of clinicals with one more to go, graduate with an Associate of Applied Science degree and take the national exam. I just found out that my school is working with Texas A&M Commerce and is starting a bachlor degree program for CST's. Monday I will start that process to continue my education next fall for my bachlor's degree.

Personally, I like what I'm learning to do I've done 38 surgeries so far and am resonably happy with my progress.

I've read that Texas is requiring certification but I also know of at least two hospitals that have ST's working without certification and one of those offered one of the students in my class a job if she would go ahead and quit school. Simply because they need a ST. She is doing her clinicals there and told them she wasn't interested.

Jeff What school are you attending. I am thinking about going to school for ST and after reading all the negative comments on here I am really scared about eh job market. Can you help with sheding some light on this. My nam e is Deborah and my email address is giaimoswife@yahoo.com. Thanks for all that you can imput.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Becoming a CST and loving it!!! in Valdosta, Georgia

80 months ago

I am in my second quarter and am suprised to hear how many times people scrub each quarter. In our first quarter of clinicals we have to have a minimum of 125 scrubs were we actually run the table. We are required to scrub the first day of clinicals. I do agree that ths is not an easy way to get your foot in the door. It is alot of work and a lot of information to learn. Our instructor often says we will come out as Jr. Dr.s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fxhearts in Enid, Oklahoma

78 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: I would like to know how many people on this site are currently CST's? Meaning you actually passed the national exam & became certified. I would also like to know how many of you are involved in your state assembly? It seems like alot people grip on this site about pay. Well if you ROCK & you are certified you get paid pretty well. If you don't think your getting paid enough take the First Assistant Exam & become a CFA.

I am SHOCKED to see so many people say so many negative things about OUR career! To the point it ends up changing other possible students minds about the career.YOU WILL NOT become rich by being a STSR! But your work WILL be rewarding & you will learn alot!

As far as saying do be a nurse.... What makes you say being a nurse is better. I mean as far as employment goes it's CST's or RN's!

ALL FUTURE CST's Please visit AST's website & research. Do not base your opinion on what is on this forum alone.

CST here and loving it. I agree with the things you are saying. Yes I agree there are alot of negative things on here about our choosen field. If you don't like it get out of it. But if your like me and like what you do go for it! I feel I hav elots of oppourtunities to make maoney. You can always take extra call , stay late and learn new areas to earn more. I am a memeber of the open heart team I enjoy it the doctors are nice and I still do all feilds of surgery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chino, California

75 months ago

I think we do much more than RN's yet we make half of their salary if were lucky!! Its so unfair. HOW CAN THIS BE? I know its not all about the money but we are getting ripped off here. I do think it is a good job, even self rewarding, but the pay is unfair. Lets all get involved in changing this.

Alan in Charleston, South Carolina

73 months ago

I'm nationally certified and worked as a ST in North and South Carolina for 5 years. I was hired the week I graduated. NC wages were almost double than what i got in SC. Roper in Charleston paid 14.75(and I was the only national certified CST they had!) and MUSC paid a measly 10.25 an hour , and this was in June of 2009. The least I got in NC was 15.90 and the most was 26.00. I was tired of LPN's and RN's getting paid twice as much as me for doing less work(and not doing the little work they did well) so I continued taking classes and I'm now an RN and get 33.50 an hour in SC. Loved being a CST but hated the pay...funny thing is that at the hospital I work at now uses me more as a CST than a RN and that's fine with me!

deb in Greenville, Texas

69 months ago

Please tell me what agency if any u went thru to become a traveling CST?

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been in the OR for 25 years. I'm certified as a Tech and 1st Assist. No thanks to be the Circulator. Never wanted to push a pen or 'run' all day getting this and that! I make more than most OR RN's at this point in my career.
I've been traveling the past 10 years and love it. No rent, no utilities, free benefits and at the end of 13 weeks, you say bye bye...The Traveler Motto is "It was broke when I got here, it'll be broke when I leave".

Most hospitals are requiring Certification within a year of hire and have been for several years. They will let you go at the end of a year. Also, with all the Federal programs, Medicare, Medicaid and all the other Regulators it's a matter of time before it's not just an option, it'll be like it was back when all the nurse's aides had to take a Cert exam or lose their jobs. Some states, TX, WA require Techs to have a license!

Personally, if I had a dime for every snotty RN that thought they were better than the Tech, I'd be retired. Funny part is, the case don't start until WE are ready. Most of them don't know a stat from a kocker. So, how do they count? They depend on US to be honest. LOL Been there, many a time and could write a book.

TECHS MAKE BETTER PASSES, BTW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SAMso cool in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Gvilla83 in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Hello,
I am a Active duty Navy Surgical Technologist/Assistant and I am looking for current Surgical Technologist or past Technologist that were trained in the Navy. I am a CST, and a CSA, I attended Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting for my NSAA certification. I have been a Surgical Technologist/Assistant for about 3 1/2 years now at NNMC Bethesda in Maryland. I would like to say most people on this site have good intentions, but some post I read on this site are just plain wrong and some people are ignorant to the actual truth. I am writing this to let future CST's, CSA's, and CFA's that if you want to know the facts call the organizations or look at their websites. I came to this site for resources and future job openings, if someone can help me sort through the mess and actually help myself and others please contact me. Far as I know, I am the only practicing CSA in the Navy(looking for others), so its hard for me to find people to network with, or even talk to about the industry. Thank you! George

There is a navy trained cst/fa/rn at my hospital who is an independent contractor. He works at various hospitals... perhaps you can do this?

Justmyopinion in Dickson, Tennessee

68 months ago

I have been doing this job for over 30 years and I still love my work. I recommend this career field to anyone if you have a passion to serve the needs of the patient above all. Your self-esteem must come from within because there are certainly big challenges in the different levels of team work you will find. Yes, I'm certified.
I am not a fan of political legislation used to highjack our career path. It allows for elected officials to be swayed by lobbyists who are paid to only present facts that gain great financial benefit to one specific association. In one State they were criticized for not having a "board" to regulate the different certification bodies. So, they decided to form their own "board" and changed their company name on a "business" level ( not medical or surgical ) to be able to legally represent themselves as THE board making choices for our profession. Of course you must pay them for not only your certification but study guides, books, CEU's, renewal, banking CEU's, membership dues and a portion of your tuition goes to their regulation of who is allowed to teach in the schools. There are other certification bodies out there that are much cheaper and actually work hard to raise the pay expectations nationwide, rather than find more ways to require you pay them to do your job.
Our Nation's political system was never intended to regulate a particular citizen's ability or right to work. The industry itself will create the guidelines and expectations within a legal framework.
Please don't be duped into giving your political support to any organization that garners huge financial gains above your right to work. Go back 10 and 20 years to the history and connections within the different levels of these " associations ". You will even find a familial connection in some cases and a time when it was all just one company. Give your support freely and with conviction, but, do your homework and make an informed decision. Surgical Technology is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sally in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

67 months ago

Raymond in San Juan, Puerto Rico said: man surgical technician is a great job but if you live in PR like me it isint that great because the salary here is the federal minimum which in this moment is 6.55 and the most a tech can reach here is 12 dollars and thats like with 10 years experience and we have the same cost of living there is in america so you dont know when ur talking about when you say there isint a good salary in the states but still i love my job !!!!!

wow just $12 i made that years ago as a secretary i am a surgical tech too but i do not care for the salaries here just moved here from california i have ten year exp.

ashley2004 in Riverside, California

66 months ago

I am Surgical Technician grad and now CST, but I don't really know why it's too hard to get employ. They ask at least 1year experience paid. How can I have 1yr paid experience if i just graduated and get Certified. When I was in school my instructor told us that the key to get into a job is either you have experience or Certified. So i pushed myself to get certified right? But guess what when putting my resume online they said not qualified because no experience. Now I'm stock. Can anybody help me if there is a formula to get into a job eventhough my experience is only my clinical and i know i can perform the job because i can't be CST if i don't know the surgery all about. i am getting frustrated already because of 1 year experience qualification thing. Please tell me some formula so i can study and might be get me a job.

Techie turned Teacher in Canton, Ohio

65 months ago

ashley2004 in Riverside, California said: I am Surgical Technician grad and now CST, but I don't really know why it's too hard to get employ. They ask at least 1year experience paid. How can I have 1yr paid experience if i just graduated and get Certified. When I was in school my instructor told us that the key to get into a job is either you have experience or Certified. So i pushed myself to get certified right? But guess what when putting my resume online they said not qualified because no experience. Now I'm stock. Can anybody help me if there is a formula to get into a job eventhough my experience is only my clinical and i know i can perform the job because i can't be CST if i don't know the surgery all about. i am getting frustrated already because of 1 year experience qualification thing. Please tell me some formula so i can study and might be get me a job.

Ashley2004,

My suggestion to you is to ask your former preceptors for letters of recommendation stating that you are competent, fast learner, services you excelled in, etc. You can take these recommendation letters and submit them with the application and resume. This way, there is an experienced individual vouching for you : )

Good luck!

Mrs. V in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been in the OR for 25 years. I'm certified as a Tech and 1st Assist. No thanks to be the Circulator. Never wanted to push a pen or 'run' all day getting this and that! I make more than most OR RN's at this point in my career.
I've been traveling the past 10 years and love it. No rent, no utilities, free benefits and at the end of 13 weeks, you say bye bye...The Traveler Motto is "It was broke when I got here, it'll be broke when I leave".

Most hospitals are requiring Certification within a year of hire and have been for several years. They will let you go at the end of a year. Also, with all the Federal programs, Medicare, Medicaid and all the other Regulators it's a matter of time before it's not just an option, it'll be like it was back when all the nurse's aides had to take a Cert exam or lose their jobs. Some states, TX, WA require Techs to have a license!

Personally, if I had a dime for every snotty RN that thought they were better than the Tech, I'd be retired. Funny part is, the case don't start until WE are ready. Most of them don't know a stat from a kocker. So, how do they count? They depend on US to be honest. LOL Been there, many a time and could write a book.

TECHS MAKE BETTER PASSES, BTW!

Hey Sunshine. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction of a good company for travel techs. I graduated over a year ago and for the dozens of resumes I sent out, not one response from 5-6 different states also. I love the OR, at times the pay may suck but a crappy paycheck is better than no pay check. But I am a single mom of a two year old so I'm at the end of my rope! I would really appreciate any advice as far as a job, or constructive criticism to help me get back on that path! Thank you

Audrey in Lawrenceville, Georgia

53 months ago

Raymond in San Juan, Puerto Rico said: man surgical technician is a great job but if you live in PR like me it isint that great because the salary here is the federal minimum which in this moment is 6.55 and the most a tech can reach here is 12 dollars and thats like with 10 years experience and we have the same cost of living there is in america so you dont know when ur talking about when you say there isint a good salary in the states but still i love my job !!!!!

I am planning to move to pr in the next year or two and would like to continue to work ( even part time) as a surgical tech. I don't care if the pay stinks, I just want to stay busy. If you know of the names of any hospitals that are looking to hire, or have any suggestions on where to start, please let me know. Thanks. A.R.

michelle

53 months ago

I love being a CST and I will never be a nurse. I enjoy my job every day and I am always looking for cases that I haven't done or haven't done in a few months. I have only been a CST for three years, so there is a lot I haven't done and I can't wait to learn more. The thing I dislike about my job is that most RN's do not recognize us as part of the team. That burns my a$$. I know most of my cases I scrub by heart. I know everything the surgeon is going to need right down to pretty much how much of those items will be used. However, there are those times that a surgeon might change his mind or we might need more laps or something. GOD FORBID, the RN needs to get off facebook or stop shopping on line to get up and get me what the surgeon needs. I think they forget that we are all here for the PATIENT. We are not here to shop, facebook, game ect. The more you pay attention to the case the more you learn. I can scrub the same case for days and still learn something that either I missed or just a new technique. I work at a teaching college so we have rotating residents and med students so there are always new things to learn even if you think you know it all. The other things that burns my biscuits about my job is that they GUSH over the RN's. UUUUGGGHHHH, they are always talking about the nursing conference and how great it would be to send three nurses to the conference. So they went, they came back and talked about how uplifting it was and how they have a re-newed love for their job and being there for the patients blah, blah, blah. We as CST's already know that we are here for the patient, we know that there are loved ones that are saying their goodbyes in pre-op and that they are putting their loved ones in our hands. We know that we are going to do EVERYTHING we can to make them better and go back to their families. However, we too would love to have that togetherness with other CST's we want that re-newed love for our jobs. I just think there is such a divide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spikes_april@*****.*** in Greensboro, North Carolina

40 months ago

Hello, I am a certified cst and I also attended school at Gtcc 3 years ago. I have not found a job yet in this field. I put in applications all over nc. They say you have to have exp in the field. How do you go through a 2 year program and not find work and they won't hire you unless you have exp. It has been a long haul and I'm getting frustrated about this field. What am I to do.

justin01 in High Point, North Carolina

40 months ago

I graduated from GTCC 2 years ago and got hired at Baptist right after graduation along with 4 other people in my class. Baptist is always hiring techs from GTCC. However, they just made an announcement that they are suspending hiring in clinical settings for a month, so you might want to try back with them after the hiring freeze.

Amy in Gothenburg, Nebraska

22 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am looking to be a CST. IS there any online programs? Also is there away to take the CsT exam with only experience?

latashabonner in New Orleans, Louisiana

14 months ago

Moving to San Juan, Puerto Rico in August. Can someone please list any good hospitals. I heard techs in Puerto Rico, do not make over $12 is this true? I can't speak Spanish, I hope that isn't a set back. I have experience in all specialities including: Endoscopy, Central Sterile.

Thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.