Dissappointed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

I would like to know how many people on this site are currently CST's? Meaning you actually passed the national exam & became certified. I would also like to know how many of you are involved in your state assembly? It seems like alot people grip on this site about pay. Well if you ROCK & you are certified you get paid pretty well. If you don't think your getting paid enough take the First Assistant Exam & become a CFA.

I am SHOCKED to see so many people say so many negative things about OUR career! To the point it ends up changing other possible students minds about the career.YOU WILL NOT become rich by being a STSR! But your work WILL be rewarding & you will learn alot!

As far as saying do be a nurse.... What makes you say being a nurse is better. I mean as far as employment goes it's CST's or RN's!

ALL FUTURE CST's Please visit AST's website & research. Do not base your opinion on what is on this forum alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ConcordeTech in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

No CST's ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

71 months ago

I am a CST, I went to school in 1994 ~gasp~ and in 2002 I left the work force to have a couple of babies and this past April I decided to go back to work. I pulled out my books that I've been lugging around for more than a decade, did a quick overview and took the CST test again. Passed it without an issue and went to work.

I ran into another CST whom I worked with years ago and we were talking about this whole certification/pay issue. I had no idea that anyone could work without being a CST, but here in VA it doesn't seem to be a big deal for employers.

A couple of weeks ago I did get a letter in the mail about the local assembly and my friend and I are talking about getting involved instead of just complaining about the issues and actually doing something about it. It has been a difficult transition for me since I went back to work to balance family with working full time and having enough time to get involved. But that is our goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ConcordeTech in Jacksonville, Florida

70 months ago

South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas are requiring certification now. With the exception of people who were "Grandfathered" in a few years ago. I know my class has to gain certification in order to graduate. Shand's Health care, which is HUGE here is pushing towards the same. If you are hired on with Shands you have 6 months to get certified.

Getting involved with your state assembly is a WONDERFUL thing. Especially if you have an opinion about the association or state issues within our field!

Taking our profession seriously is something WAY bigger than state assemblies, or school accreditation. It start with US!! If you want to be taken seriously and respected for all the education we have then you must get involved. Individually, and complaining on forums does NOTHING!!!

We are CST's or CFA's need to become proactive & make a difference!!

sam in Manahawkin, New Jersey

70 months ago

how do you find out if your state require's a certification in order to work?

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

I've been in the OR for 25 years. I'm certified as a Tech and 1st Assist. No thanks to be the Circulator. Never wanted to push a pen or 'run' all day getting this and that! I make more than most OR RN's at this point in my career.
I've been traveling the past 10 years and love it. No rent, no utilities, free benefits and at the end of 13 weeks, you say bye bye...The Traveler Motto is "It was broke when I got here, it'll be broke when I leave".

Most hospitals are requiring Certification within a year of hire and have been for several years. They will let you go at the end of a year. Also, with all the Federal programs, Medicare, Medicaid and all the other Regulators it's a matter of time before it's not just an option, it'll be like it was back when all the nurse's aides had to take a Cert exam or lose their jobs. Some states, TX, WA require Techs to have a license!

Personally, if I had a dime for every snotty RN that thought they were better than the Tech, I'd be retired. Funny part is, the case don't start until WE are ready. Most of them don't know a stat from a kocker. So, how do they count? They depend on US to be honest. LOL Been there, many a time and could write a book.

TECHS MAKE BETTER PASSES, BTW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Lavon, Texas

68 months ago

I'm glad to finally read something positive on this board about CST's! I am finishing my first semester of clinicals with one more to go, graduate with an Associate of Applied Science degree and take the national exam. I just found out that my school is working with Texas A&M Commerce and is starting a bachlor degree program for CST's. Monday I will start that process to continue my education next fall for my bachlor's degree.

Personally, I like what I'm learning to do I've done 38 surgeries so far and am resonably happy with my progress.

I've read that Texas is requiring certification but I also know of at least two hospitals that have ST's working without certification and one of those offered one of the students in my class a job if she would go ahead and quit school. Simply because they need a ST. She is doing her clinicals there and told them she wasn't interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Greenville, North Carolina

68 months ago

hey i am living in north carolina around the greensboro area and i am really interested in becoming a surgical tech. I have done a bit of research on trying to find schools close to greensboro, but i cant find any. If any one knows of any please help me out. I'm looking to hopefully travel no more than 30 min to an hour out of the way...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Spear101 in High Point, North Carolina

68 months ago

michelle in Greenville, North Carolina said: hey i am living in north carolina around the greensboro area and i am really interested in becoming a surgical tech. I have done a bit of research on trying to find schools close to greensboro, but i cant find any. If any one knows of any please help me out. I'm looking to hopefully travel no more than 30 min to an hour out of the way...

Hey,

I'm actually starting a surgical tech program next fall at Guilford Tech...It's in jamestown, about 5 min outside of Greensboro. They have a great program, you should look into it. Good luck

michelle in Greenville, North Carolina

68 months ago

o wow, thank you for your help. I didnt' realize someone would answer so quickly! Well I will be looking into transfering for the program in the fall as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Eugene, Oregon

68 months ago

michelle in Greenville, North Carolina said: hey i am living in north carolina around the greensboro area and i am really interested in becoming a surgical tech. I have done a bit of research on trying to find schools close to greensboro, but i cant find any. If any one knows of any please help me out. I'm looking to hopefully travel no more than 30 min to an hour out of the way...

You should also check out southeast community college in Nebraska...yep, Nebraska! It is the only ONLINE program I have found and they offer an associates degree. I am starting my final term with them in January and have been very pleased with the level of education offered. Distance learning is not for everyone, it takes a lot of self-motivation! The critical part is getting a contract between SCC and your local hospital so you can do your clinicals. Their website is southeast.edu. Good luck!

Jeff in Lavon, Texas

68 months ago

Jill, I truly don't want to get into your business but can you give me a discription of what you'll be making as you come out of school? I will graduate from my program in May and am really looking forward to it. I just finished my first round of rotations and had a ball!

Jill in Eugene, Oregon

68 months ago

Jeff in Lavon, Texas said: Jill, I truly don't want to get into your business but can you give me a discription of what you'll be making as you come out of school? I will graduate from my program in May and am really looking forward to it. I just finished my first round of rotations and had a ball!

Hi Jeff, the positions posted at my hospital show a range of $18-$25 an hour. From what I have heard, call is $4 - $8/hr above that and I'm not sure how much call I have to sign up for. We are the largest hospital serving 3 counties and folks end up taking a lot of call I'm told! Congrats on finishing round one! I just finished round 2 and am looking forward to my LAST term!!! The word I hear in the OR is that I have a job but I'm not celebrating until I finish school and pass my cert exam... first things first right? Still a long road ahead but shorter than when I started...

Jeff in Lavon, Texas

67 months ago

Jill,

Thank you for answering! I start my last semester in January. I don't think finding a job will be all that difficult, but finding one that pays what I'd like to have might be. I was given a great reference letter from my last OR Director and was able to get 40 cases behind me before starting my last semester. I've already joined the AST and have their study guide for the National Exam, so I'm going to put in a lot of time before school starts back on studying for that.

Thanks again!

FutureCst2009 in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

sgtpete in Fernandina Beach, Florida said: IS THAT THE CORRECT SPELLING THERE GENIUS-- IT SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE (GRIP). WHAT A MORON YOU ARE, YEAH YOU REALLY ROCK!!!

Wow... Do you have a life? Someone on here spell a slang word incorrect and you take it upon yourself to be a douche. She didn't say anything offensive in her original post. You just made yourself look ignorant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kamille in Charlotte, North Carolina

67 months ago

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been in the OR for 25 years. I'm certified as a Tech and 1st Assist. No thanks to be the Circulator. Never wanted to push a pen or 'run' all day getting this and that! I make more than most OR RN's at this point in my career.
I've been traveling the past 10 years and love it. No rent, no utilities, free benefits and at the end of 13 weeks, you say bye bye...The Traveler Motto is "It was broke when I got here, it'll be broke when I leave".

Most hospitals are requiring Certification within a year of hire and have been for several years. They will let you go at the end of a year. Also, with all the Federal programs, Medicare, Medicaid and all the other Regulators it's a matter of time before it's not just an option, it'll be like it was back when all the nurse's aides had to take a Cert exam or lose their jobs. Some states, TX, WA require Techs to have a license!

Personally, if I had a dime for every snotty RN that thought they were better than the Tech, I'd be retired. Funny part is, the case don't start until WE are ready. Most of them don't know a stat from a kocker. So, how do they count? They depend on US to be honest. LOL Been there, many a time and could write a book.

Sunshine I really must say reading your posted really has made me stick with the program that I applied to I didn't know if i want to go on with the program after reading all the negative nasty posts that were on here about the field if there were more posts like this then I'm sure more people would get into the profession. Also working as a CNA I know the feeling of nurses who feel they are God's gift to the health care field but I'm always hearing from patients how good of a job the CNA's do not the the nurses. ANd I have noticed that nurses who weren't CNA's first don't know anything about teamwork!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon

67 months ago

I'm taking an online class out of Lincoln, Nebraska. I do my clinicals where I work (sacred heart riverbend hosp) and it has worked out quite well. think about online. the list of accredited schools are on the AST website. good luck! you won't regret it!

steineymel in Aliso Viejo, California

67 months ago

surgtechwannabe in Eugene, Oregon said: I'm taking an online class out of Lincoln, Nebraska. I do my clinicals where I work (sacred heart riverbend hosp) and it has worked out quite well. think about online. the list of accredited schools are on the AST website. good luck! you won't regret it!

Can you take that online class if you are in a different state than nebraska? Will that program allow you to do your clinicals in the state you live in?

ronnie s in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

sunshine in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been in the OR for 25 years. I'm certified as a Tech and 1st Assist. No thanks to be the Circulator. Never wanted to push a pen or 'run' all day getting this and that! I make more than most OR RN's at this point in my career.

what would disqualife me to get a license as a cst? i do have a crimina background. No drugs ,kid stuff, just bank robberies, and burgs. I have been doing vounteer work and living a straight and narrow live. Want to help be a good citizen

66 months ago

Hey Sunshine,
I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me? I'm a student in a surgical tech program, currently taking my prerequisites; cocepts of human biology, anatomy & physiology and mathematical measurements. Can you tell me how much of these courses I'll need to retain? It just seems like a lot of information to absorb and remeber a year from now when I start my clinicals. Do I need to remember everything from concepts of biology or just anatomy & physiology? Also, how is math incorporated into the job? Thank you so much for your help.

bob in Stony Brook, New York

66 months ago

Spear101, Just remember everything about the Kreb cycle, This is important!!!
(actually the book stuff explaines why you do what you are doing but the job is all hands on learning)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ronnie you cant be denied a license for this because their is no license for this. you can do school, pass and get certified but you might have a lot of trouble getting a job after all that work. Most new techs are having a hard time getting hired even with clean backrounds. To have even kid stuff infractions might be enough for a hospital to choose the next guy for the job.

Raymond in San Juan, Puerto Rico

66 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: I would like to know how many people on this site are currently CST's? Meaning you actually passed the national exam & became certified. I would also like to know how many of you are involved in your state assembly? It seems like alot people grip on this site about pay. Well if you ROCK & you are certified you get paid pretty well. If you don't think your getting paid enough take the First Assistant Exam & become a CFA.

I am SHOCKED to see so many people say so many negative things about OUR career! To the point it ends up changing other possible students minds about the career.YOU WILL NOT become rich by being a STSR! But your work WILL be rewarding & you will learn alot!

As far as saying do be a nurse.... What makes you say being a nurse is better. I mean as far as employment goes it's CST's or RN's!

ALL FUTURE CST's Please visit AST's website & research. Do not base your opinion on what is on this forum alone.

do i have to take a certification exam to work as a tech in florida ??? because in PR you just work with ur tech diploma no other exams needed

Raymond in San Juan, Puerto Rico

66 months ago

man surgical technician is a great job but if you live in PR like me it isint that great because the salary here is the federal minimum which in this moment is 6.55 and the most a tech can reach here is 12 dollars and thats like with 10 years experience and we have the same cost of living there is in america so you dont know when ur talking about when you say there isint a good salary in the states but still i love my job !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

spear101 in Greensboro, North Carolina

66 months ago

So, out of all of the anatomy that I'll be taking the kreb cycle is the only thing on the certification exam? Also you didn't mention how math was used on the job. Thank you for your help.

djhughes017 in Nampa, Idaho

66 months ago

spear101 in Greensboro, North Carolina said: So, out of all of the anatomy that I'll be taking the kreb cycle is the only thing on the certification exam? Also you didn't mention how math was used on the job. Thank you for your help.

No, dude. In the OR, especially if you are a student, you need all of it. Just wait until you are doing your first modified radical mastectomy and the doc starts pimping you about the long thoracic and thoracodorsal nerves.

Also, the CST exam is about 60 to 70% anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and microbiology. You can do it though!

66 months ago

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

66 months ago

I was joking about the kreb cycle. Be good at drug math converitons, as well as a and p, micro etc...

MaatiAuset in Jacksonville, North Carolina

66 months ago

I live in Jacksonville, NC. There is a Surgical Tech program here at Coastal Carolina Community College.

traveling57 in Kinston, North Carolina

66 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: I would like to know how many people on this site are currently CST's? Meaning you actually passed the national exam & became certified. I would also like to know how many of you are involved in your state assembly? It seems like alot people grip on this site about pay. Well if you ROCK & you are certified you get paid pretty well. If you don't think your getting paid enough take the First Assistant Exam & become a CFA.

I appreciate your comment, I have been certified for over 22 years. I am also a CSTFA. I have been traveling for 13 years but before that I was a private scrubb with a Gen. Surgeon. So if you are a dedicated tech and dedicated to your job, it is a great and rewarding position!!!!!!

Jan in Eugene, Oregon

65 months ago

Jill in Eugene, Oregon said: Hi Jeff, the positions posted at my hospital show a range of $18-$25 an hour. From what I have heard, call is $4 - $8/hr above that and I'm not sure how much call I have to sign up for. We are the largest hospital serving 3 counties and folks end up taking a lot of call I'm told! Congrats on finishing round one! I just finished round 2 and am looking forward to my LAST term!!! The word I hear in the OR is that I have a job but I'm not celebrating until I finish school and pass my cert exam... first things first right? Still a long road ahead but shorter than when I started...

how do you get in to the surgical tech program? Is it through riverbend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

65 months ago

I agree with you! I had a choice to go to nursing school, and I decided I love my job! I feel we get more respect from docs, than the nurse. I am a cst, and I am going on 8 years. I have to think people who are making 20.00 to 28.00 live in state that are a higher cost of living! In sc, the cost of living is cheap, so the pay is a litte lower. I am glad you express your thoughts, I feel the same.

Gvilla83 in Silver Spring, Maryland

65 months ago

Hello,
I am a Active duty Navy Surgical Technologist/Assistant and I am looking for current Surgical Technologist or past Technologist that were trained in the Navy. I am a CST, and a CSA, I attended Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting for my NSAA certification. I have been a Surgical Technologist/Assistant for about 3 1/2 years now at NNMC Bethesda in Maryland. I would like to say most people on this site have good intentions, but some post I read on this site are just plain wrong and some people are ignorant to the actual truth. I am writing this to let future CST's, CSA's, and CFA's that if you want to know the facts call the organizations or look at their websites. I came to this site for resources and future job openings, if someone can help me sort through the mess and actually help myself and others please contact me. Far as I know, I am the only practicing CSA in the Navy(looking for others), so its hard for me to find people to network with, or even talk to about the industry. Thank you! George

shorty in Greensboro, North Carolina

63 months ago

I have been wanting to start the surgical program here in Greensboro but I have been out of school over 14years so at GTCC you have to have had an biology with in the last 10 years and has you can see I have been out longer do anyone know of another school that I can attend.

63 months ago

Any legitimate school is going to require that you take the proper pre-requisites. I can tell you that if you haven't had a bio course in over ten years you will not be prepared for the full fledged anatomy & physiology courses. I also go to GTCC...you need to take bio 094. If you're not in the program now, you have to wait until the 2010 program anyway, so you have plenty of time to knock those classes out. Good luck

brown5626@bellsouth.net in Greensboro, North Carolina

62 months ago

Rockingham Community College
Wentworth, NC

62 months ago

Michelle,

Guilford Technical Community College has a great surgical tech program. It's in Jamestown, right between High Point and Greensboro. I think Fayetteville Community College offers one as well.

Be Careful in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Do your research before you go to an allied health program. Do your homework. Go to www.ast.org and read everything and visit every link including the forum

Deborah in Roanoke, Texas

62 months ago

Jeff in Lavon, Texas said: I'm glad to finally read something positive on this board about CST's! I am finishing my first semester of clinicals with one more to go, graduate with an Associate of Applied Science degree and take the national exam. I just found out that my school is working with Texas A&M Commerce and is starting a bachlor degree program for CST's. Monday I will start that process to continue my education next fall for my bachlor's degree.

Personally, I like what I'm learning to do I've done 38 surgeries so far and am resonably happy with my progress.

I've read that Texas is requiring certification but I also know of at least two hospitals that have ST's working without certification and one of those offered one of the students in my class a job if she would go ahead and quit school. Simply because they need a ST. She is doing her clinicals there and told them she wasn't interested.

Jeff What school are you attending. I am thinking about going to school for ST and after reading all the negative comments on here I am really scared about eh job market. Can you help with sheding some light on this. My nam e is Deborah and my email address is giaimoswife@yahoo.com. Thanks for all that you can imput.

Becoming a CST and loving it!!! in Valdosta, Georgia

54 months ago

I am in my second quarter and am suprised to hear how many times people scrub each quarter. In our first quarter of clinicals we have to have a minimum of 125 scrubs were we actually run the table. We are required to scrub the first day of clinicals. I do agree that ths is not an easy way to get your foot in the door. It is alot of work and a lot of information to learn. Our instructor often says we will come out as Jr. Dr.s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fxhearts in Enid, Oklahoma

52 months ago

CST here and loving it. I agree with the things you are saying. Yes I agree there are alot of negative things on here about our choosen field. If you don't like it get out of it. But if your like me and like what you do go for it! I feel I hav elots of oppourtunities to make maoney. You can always take extra call , stay late and learn new areas to earn more. I am a memeber of the open heart team I enjoy it the doctors are nice and I still do all feilds of surgery.

Mike in Chino, California

49 months ago

I think we do much more than RN's yet we make half of their salary if were lucky!! Its so unfair. HOW CAN THIS BE? I know its not all about the money but we are getting ripped off here. I do think it is a good job, even self rewarding, but the pay is unfair. Lets all get involved in changing this.

Alan in Charleston, South Carolina

48 months ago

I'm nationally certified and worked as a ST in North and South Carolina for 5 years. I was hired the week I graduated. NC wages were almost double than what i got in SC. Roper in Charleston paid 14.75(and I was the only national certified CST they had!) and MUSC paid a measly 10.25 an hour , and this was in June of 2009. The least I got in NC was 15.90 and the most was 26.00. I was tired of LPN's and RN's getting paid twice as much as me for doing less work(and not doing the little work they did well) so I continued taking classes and I'm now an RN and get 33.50 an hour in SC. Loved being a CST but hated the pay...funny thing is that at the hospital I work at now uses me more as a CST than a RN and that's fine with me!

deb in Greenville, Texas

44 months ago

Please tell me what agency if any u went thru to become a traveling CST?

SAMso cool in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Gvilla83 in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Hello,
I am a Active duty Navy Surgical Technologist/Assistant and I am looking for current Surgical Technologist or past Technologist that were trained in the Navy. I am a CST, and a CSA, I attended Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting for my NSAA certification. I have been a Surgical Technologist/Assistant for about 3 1/2 years now at NNMC Bethesda in Maryland. I would like to say most people on this site have good intentions, but some post I read on this site are just plain wrong and some people are ignorant to the actual truth. I am writing this to let future CST's, CSA's, and CFA's that if you want to know the facts call the organizations or look at their websites. I came to this site for resources and future job openings, if someone can help me sort through the mess and actually help myself and others please contact me. Far as I know, I am the only practicing CSA in the Navy(looking for others), so its hard for me to find people to network with, or even talk to about the industry. Thank you! George

There is a navy trained cst/fa/rn at my hospital who is an independent contractor. He works at various hospitals... perhaps you can do this?

Justmyopinion in Dickson, Tennessee

42 months ago

I have been doing this job for over 30 years and I still love my work. I recommend this career field to anyone if you have a passion to serve the needs of the patient above all. Your self-esteem must come from within because there are certainly big challenges in the different levels of team work you will find. Yes, I'm certified.
I am not a fan of political legislation used to highjack our career path. It allows for elected officials to be swayed by lobbyists who are paid to only present facts that gain great financial benefit to one specific association. In one State they were criticized for not having a "board" to regulate the different certification bodies. So, they decided to form their own "board" and changed their company name on a "business" level ( not medical or surgical ) to be able to legally represent themselves as THE board making choices for our profession. Of course you must pay them for not only your certification but study guides, books, CEU's, renewal, banking CEU's, membership dues and a portion of your tuition goes to their regulation of who is allowed to teach in the schools. There are other certification bodies out there that are much cheaper and actually work hard to raise the pay expectations nationwide, rather than find more ways to require you pay them to do your job.
Our Nation's political system was never intended to regulate a particular citizen's ability or right to work. The industry itself will create the guidelines and expectations within a legal framework.
Please don't be duped into giving your political support to any organization that garners huge financial gains above your right to work. Go back 10 and 20 years to the history and connections within the different levels of these " associations ". You will even find a familial connection in some cases and a time when it was all just one company. Give your support freely and with conviction, but, do your homework and make an informed decision. Surgical Technology is great.

sally in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

41 months ago

Raymond in San Juan, Puerto Rico said: man surgical technician is a great job but if you live in PR like me it isint that great because the salary here is the federal minimum which in this moment is 6.55 and the most a tech can reach here is 12 dollars and thats like with 10 years experience and we have the same cost of living there is in america so you dont know when ur talking about when you say there isint a good salary in the states but still i love my job !!!!!

wow just $12 i made that years ago as a secretary i am a surgical tech too but i do not care for the salaries here just moved here from california i have ten year exp.

ashley2004 in Riverside, California

41 months ago

I am Surgical Technician grad and now CST, but I don't really know why it's too hard to get employ. They ask at least 1year experience paid. How can I have 1yr paid experience if i just graduated and get Certified. When I was in school my instructor told us that the key to get into a job is either you have experience or Certified. So i pushed myself to get certified right? But guess what when putting my resume online they said not qualified because no experience. Now I'm stock. Can anybody help me if there is a formula to get into a job eventhough my experience is only my clinical and i know i can perform the job because i can't be CST if i don't know the surgery all about. i am getting frustrated already because of 1 year experience qualification thing. Please tell me some formula so i can study and might be get me a job.

Techie turned Teacher in Canton, Ohio

40 months ago

ashley2004 in Riverside, California said: I am Surgical Technician grad and now CST, but I don't really know why it's too hard to get employ. They ask at least 1year experience paid. How can I have 1yr paid experience if i just graduated and get Certified. When I was in school my instructor told us that the key to get into a job is either you have experience or Certified. So i pushed myself to get certified right? But guess what when putting my resume online they said not qualified because no experience. Now I'm stock. Can anybody help me if there is a formula to get into a job eventhough my experience is only my clinical and i know i can perform the job because i can't be CST if i don't know the surgery all about. i am getting frustrated already because of 1 year experience qualification thing. Please tell me some formula so i can study and might be get me a job.

Ashley2004,

My suggestion to you is to ask your former preceptors for letters of recommendation stating that you are competent, fast learner, services you excelled in, etc. You can take these recommendation letters and submit them with the application and resume. This way, there is an experienced individual vouching for you : )

Good luck!

Mrs. V in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Hey Sunshine. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction of a good company for travel techs. I graduated over a year ago and for the dozens of resumes I sent out, not one response from 5-6 different states also. I love the OR, at times the pay may suck but a crappy paycheck is better than no pay check. But I am a single mom of a two year old so I'm at the end of my rope! I would really appreciate any advice as far as a job, or constructive criticism to help me get back on that path! Thank you

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.