Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 125)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

maye in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Thanks Pretty Roman for your response.
If you don't mind me asking.
What school did you go to for your ST training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pretty Roman in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

maye in Orlando, Florida said: Thanks Pretty Roman for your response.
If you don't mind me asking.
What school did you go to for your ST training?

Americare school of nursing
But High Tec is better it like 4 grand
My school now is 15.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maye in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Right now I'm debating between High Tech and Orlando Tech.Does anyone have any experience these two schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

keri in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Go to Orlando Tech. I'm currently in the program and I highly recommend it. Also, Orlando Tech is an accredited program, High Tech is not. Orlando Tech is much cheaper too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maye in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Thanks for the response Keri in Orlando.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FSA Member in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Make sure your school is CAAHEP Accredited and in good standing. Go to wwww.ast.org for more info. Good luck

maye in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Does anyone know a lot about the surgical tech program in Orlando Tech cause I've been hiring a lot of horror stories about the Orlando Tech Programs ex:not enough instructors,hours in the classrooms and problem with staff.I'm planning on taking the Surgical Tech program there so,I'm really looking for some feed back before I make up my mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

keri in Melbourne, Florida

67 months ago

Hi Maye,
I'm in the program right now, if u want to email me, I can give u more info.

iluvnails05@yahoo.com

maye in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Yes Keri,
I would like more info and will be emailing you real soon.
Thanks.

FSA in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Get involved with your State Assembly. Go to (www.astfsa.org)

Paula in Pompano Beach, Florida

67 months ago

If you are looking for a Certified Surgical First Assist. There are only 11 schools in the country that this offer. There is a new and only one in Green Acres Fl. Palm Beach Medical Career Institute/ They should be accredited in a month or two.

Gabriel in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

66 months ago

CFA's are higher trained than CST's. They can "legally" close cases (sutures) and they are the surgeons assistant. The CST can assess what instrument will be needed next whereas the CFA can call for instruments and use them in assistance to the surgeon.
TO be a CFA without going to school, you have to have a certain number of cases certified by a qualified surgeon and sit for the 250 question 4 hour exam. (See NBSTSA for specific requirements) Currently there is a 25% fail rate on the CST exam and nearly a 50% fail rate on the CFA exam. The CFA exam is much more intense in advanced knowledge and case management. It is about 10 times more difficult than the CST exam. The NBSTSA and NSAA (nssa.net) should always be the first places you look for information.

Gabriel in Long Beach, California said: HI everyone, My name is Gabriel, I reside in the Long Beach area in Cali. Im a student at an Accredited CAHEEP program, at Glendale Career College in Glendale CA and Im about to go into my externships in approx. 2 weeks. I am getting into the CFA position after I graduate But want to know a little more about the dynamics about being a CFA. My dad has been a Surg. Tech for over twenty years but I dont think he knows the ladder to becoming a CFA. A surgeon I work with right now told me that in california hospitals dont really use CFAs that much becuase Techs can asess the situation to surgical procedures similarly but not fully, also they are paid less so they rather use a Tech. Anyways, he said that I need to record about approx. 250 Documented cases and take an exam to get the First Assistant position. But I had a question! Does that apply to a CSTFA only? Because I know you have to go to school for a CFA but where in california? If anyone could help me answer my Q I would appreciate. Thanks Gabriel.

Concorde in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

Need help in Orlando, Florida said: Hello! I graduated from a surgical tech program
In october 2006. My husband and I moved countries
Directly after graduation, so I never had the chance
To get a job in the field. We have since moved back,
But it's been 2 1/2 years out of the field, and I want
More than anything to get back in. I live in Orlando, and
Have heard that there are hospitals hiring. I have not gotten
My state certification yet...if anyone could guide me in the
Proper direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Please, I
Do not want any negative feedback, as I know this is possible...
Just with a little work! Thanks!

check www.floridasurgicaltechs.org

Pretty Roman in Orlando, Florida

65 months ago

monica rivera in Orlando, Florida

61 months ago

HI ,VERY ONE I AM A CFA. I USED TO BE A SURGICAL TECH FOR 10YEARS, I HAVE JUST MOVED TO FL FROM MD/VA AREA . I DID INDEPENDENT ASSISTING IN MD AND I LOVED IT BUT NOW THAT I AM IN ORLANDO FL I AM NOT SURE HOW TO GET BACK TO ASSISTING. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF SOME BODY COULD GUIDE ME HOW TO FIND SURGEONS OR CENTERS TO ASSIST AGAIN. THANKS

socalman in los angeles, California

61 months ago

i am looking at taking a course as a Surg Tech. The two schools i am interested in here in So Cal are Glendale Career College and Bryman(Which i think now goes by Everst College) any comments would be greatly appreciated. If there is another school that would be better, I would like to hear about it.

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

Pretty Roman in Orlando, Florida said: You need 2 years as a ST first then you can
Apply for your CSTFA

We have at least 7 CSTFA in our department
At our hospital and we all went to www.nifa.com

I am the of the first "CSTCFA"
The one of best programs.
Do not stop at ST keep going it worth it.

what is the pay difference from st to cfa?

Donavan Hogan in Phoenix, Arizona

60 months ago

where are some accredited first assist programs located near Mississippi?

anyone?

nell in Odenton, Maryland

60 months ago

i'am thinking about adttending a surical tech program but i do not want to waste my time and cant find a job in the field.i'am currently a gna at a nursing home and do not want to become a nurse i want so much to become a tech so if any one can answer my question i would truly appreciate it no negative feed back thanks. i know every thing is tight right now because of the recession but i dont want to get into something and regret it please help

TEE in Hindman, Kentucky

59 months ago

Hannah K in Omaha, Nebraska said: Gone Fishin/Texas...i noticed your comment about surgical tech and making well over 10,000 a month...i will be starting my surgical tech program in the fall at Iowa Western...i would really like to know how to get started and if i should get my CST or CSTFA which will benefit me more in the long run?? i would like to know what states have the best pay rate...living in small town Nebraska..we dont have much to offer unless you are an RN...
One more side note...i am very intrested in childrens surgical...what is the best way to go about finding a "Private Scrub tech"

she didnt say surg. techs make 10,000 mt. she said certified first assistants can make that, there is a big difference.

TEE in Hindman, Kentucky

59 months ago

TEE in Hindman, Kentucky said: she didnt say surg. techs make 10,000 mt. she said certified first assistants can make that, there is a big difference.

in kentucky you are only going to average $14 hr fresh out of school and possibly max at $20 hr, correct me if im wrong.

Mike in New York, New York

59 months ago

I live in NY where we are not allowed 2 first assist. My question is which nearby states allow it?

jason sharp in Carmel, Indiana

59 months ago

My employeer wants me to indicate when I am acting as CFA and not CST by checkin a box on the surgery record. There is nothing else they have done ie (job description, salary increase, or contract). Seems like just allowing them to bill and make money and leave me out of the equation. What should I say and what should I get??!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn

57 months ago

jason sharp in Carmel, Indiana said: My employeer wants me to indicate when I am acting as CFA and not CST by checkin a box on the surgery record. There is nothing else they have done ie (job description, salary increase, or contract). Seems like just allowing them to bill and make money and leave me out of the equation. What should I say and what should I get??!?

If you are a Certified FA, and you are functioning as that in a case, you should get paid that pay rate. That is what I would tell my employer. Where I work in NY First Assists are not recognized, so I do a case I get paid the same, as a tech or an assist.

Kimberly Estes in Modesto, California

57 months ago

Gabriel in Long Beach, California said: HI everyone, My name is Gabriel, I reside in the Long Beach area in Cali. Im a student at an Accredited CAHEEP program, at Glendale Career College in Glendale CA and Im about to go into my externships in approx. 2 weeks. I am getting into the CFA position after I graduate But want to know a little more about the dynamics about being a CFA. My dad has been a Surg. Tech for over twenty years but I dont think he knows the ladder to becoming a CFA. A surgeon I work with right now told me that in california hospitals dont really use CFAs that much becuase Techs can asess the situation to surgical procedures similarly but not fully, also they are paid less so they rather use a Tech. Anyways, he said that I need to record about approx. 250 Documented cases and take an exam to get the First Assistant position. But I had a question! Does that apply to a CSTFA only? Because I know you have to go to school for a CFA but where in california? If anyone could help me answer my Q I would appreciate. Thanks Gabriel.

In California you have to be an RN or a PA to become First Assistant.

rosalind in Summerville, South Carolina

57 months ago

Dawn said: If you are a Certified FA, and you are functioning as that in a case, you should get paid that pay rate. That is what I would tell my employer. Where I work in NY First Assists are not recognized, so I do a case I get paid the same, as a tech or an assist.

i am relocating to ny soon. r there any hospitals in NY that recognize FA?

Surgitech207 in Middletown, New York

57 months ago

rosalind in Summerville, South Carolina said: i am relocating to ny soon. r there any hospitals in NY that recognize FA?

NY state does not recognize First Assists. Pennsylvania does.

Sam in Racine, Wisconsin

57 months ago

Dawn said: If you are a Certified FA, and you are functioning as that in a case, you should get paid that pay rate. That is what I would tell my employer. Where I work in NY First Assists are not recognized, so I do a case I get paid the same, as a tech or an assist.

I have 20 years in the OR, 12 as an FA. I am military trained and have been both a CST and CFA, I now hold a CSA title. The CSA exam was quite possibly the hardest exam I've ever taken. Wisconsin recognizes the FA and pays accordingly, I am at close to 37 and hour currently.

What I can tell you is if you want the money its out there, but don't fool yourself. The FA's here do pretty much everything a PA would do in surgery. Everything from taking vain to wiring a chest in Cardiac. Full closures on spines with drain insertion. Plating and skull and closing out on Neuro cases, the list goes on. There is a ton of responsiblity that goes with that title and I can tell you, I've had many sleepless nights worrying about the patients I've taken care of. It's a tough gig to break into here, people come from different states and are let go because they can't perform at the level at which the Doc's here expect them too.

I took college courses like A&P 1-2, Biology, Advanced physiology, chemistry and organic chemistry. I have all the prereq's nurses do but I chose to stay an FA because I love my job, not for the money, but because I feel I can make a difference.

To all you new techs coming in the field, get educated get experienced there is no short cut. Take the exams you need to get certified, it all helps. I don't care what people say or if states recognize it or not, if your resume is in a pile of papers they are going to take a CST over an ST if everything is equal.
There are timelines you can follow, get 5 years in as a CST, then get your FA. Some states you hold retractors and cut suture others let you do more, some states even allow you to 3rd party bill

babylulu in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

What is agood school out here in NYC is good to attend for cst.

babylulu in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

Sorry whats a good shool to attend in NYC for cST.

Tim in Lynchburg, Virginia

53 months ago

Kim in Orlando, Florida said: Yes, I did I have been working in the OR at Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford for almost eight years. I went to High Tech Inst In Orlando FL, and I took my certification with National Center for Competency Testing. Iam interested in becoming a CSTFA.Could you guide me in the right direction I am thinging about traveling and so I need something that I will beable to be certified no matter what state I work in. Iam already a CST but someone told me that because I went through NCCT for my certification that I was only certified in FL and no where else is that true.

Hey Kim I did the fa thing and went through Meridian school of first assisting. They were great and it was all on line. The pay difference for me was 4 dollars an hour. It's worth it.

53 months ago

Hello Kim. I too am a surgical tech with about 10 years behind me. I went to meridian School of first assisting for my FA. It was all on line but one week in class. it was great and I like assisting a lot better. The pay went up 4 dollars. Look them up on line and tell them Tim from Va sent you. Tim

Daisy2 in Florida

53 months ago

Kim in Orlando, Florida said: Yes, I did I have been working in the OR at Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford for almost eight years. I went to High Tech Inst In Orlando FL, and I took my certification with National Center for Competency Testing. Iam interested in becoming a CSTFA.Could you guide me in the right direction I am thinging about traveling and so I need something that I will beable to be certified no matter what state I work in. Iam already a CST but someone told me that because I went through NCCT for my certification that I was only certified in FL and no where else is that true.

Hey Kim,
we might be moving to the sanford area down the road how do you like working for Central Florida Regional Hospital? How is the cardiac team and doctors? thanks

53 months ago

KIM. I went through ncct and I am nationaly certified and I went to meridian school of first assisting. call me.

Peter in Boston, Massachusetts

53 months ago

How much of a difference is there in salary if you go from a ST to a CFA. ST is around $13-20, how much would CFA earn per hour? I heard it was only a $1-2 difference, but is it worth it?

Thank you in advance

53 months ago

right now with 1 year as a cst-fa. Roper st Frances hospital, in sc, is paying 33.15

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Peter in Boston, Massachusetts said: How much of a difference is there in salary if you go from a ST to a CFA. ST is around $13-20, how much would CFA earn per hour? I heard it was only a $1-2 difference, but is it worth it?

Thank you in advance

1-2 dollars...whoever told you that is either the worst assistant on this planet or is seriously being taken advantage of. As with anything assisting is geographical and you'll make more money in certain parts of the country than others, this is true with Surg tech as well and probably any other profession.It also depends on a whetehr you are hospital empoyed (lowest icome range) private physician employed( medium incmoe renage) or self employed billing for yourself (highest Income range). In Texas for example a self employed Assistant billing for themselves should be making well over $150,000.00 and I have friends who are making upwards of $250,000.00 with 5-10 years experience (in Texas). See the American Medical association's income ranges.... www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/careers-health-care/health-care-income.shtml

53 months ago

Wow, thanks for the info. Didn't know that they go that high, This is non-physician surgical assistant not PA surg assist right. CST->few years of experience->get 2 recommendations-> take test->become CFA. Right now I'm a student thinking of becoming a surg tech and wondering if there was space for advancement salarywise, I though max was at $50-60k, thank you once again.

Daisy2 in Florida

53 months ago

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida said: what is the pay difference from st to cfa?

awwwwwwww thank you... so much it is nice to see positive feedback...

Daisy2 in Florida

53 months ago

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas said: 1-2 dollars...whoever told you that is either the worst assistant on this planet or is seriously being taken advantage of. As with anything assisting is geographical and you'll make more money in certain parts of the country than others, this is true with Surg tech as well and probably any other profession.It also depends on a whetehr you are hospital empoyed (lowest icome range) private physician employed( medium incmoe renage) or self employed billing for yourself (highest Income range). In Texas for example a self employed Assistant billing for themselves should be making well over $150,000.00 and I have friends who are making upwards of $250,000.00 with 5-10 years experience (in Texas). See the American Medical association's income ranges.... www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/careers-health-care/health-care-income.shtml

gone fishin:
we would love to consider the houston area, what is the starting out range for cst? thanks

Daisy2 in Florida

53 months ago

Pretty Roman in Orlando, Florida said: here are some jobs that are hiring

www.centralfloridaregional.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID=C1369E67-621B-4F8A-B78F-BE208B566BE4
jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/a9va.aspx
www.osceolaregional.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID=076239B3-550E-45A5-BE93-6D877233EB72
www.orlandohealth.com/orlandohealth/Careers/Careers.aspx?pid=2447

pretty roman:
what is the starting out range in orlando? and what should a starting out cst tech ask for hourly, in tampa or orlando... i have a bachelors of science and 10 years of hospital experience but not in cst... just curious for your input? thanks you are so positive...:)

53 months ago

After checking salary.com it says surg techs earn:
Median annual wages of wage-and-salary surgical technologists were $38,740 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $32,490 and $46,910. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $27,510, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $54,300
How come when compared to first assist there's such a big difference in the salary, under 50k for CST v.s 150k-250k for CFA. To earn that much you might need to be in the top percentile (self employed), what would the median range be for a regular CFA salary employed by a hospital. Why do you earn so much more is you are self employed? If self employed how much would you earn for 1 operation (I know it depends on the kind of operation, but whats average).

Thank you in advance

Brunetta B in Homewood, Illinois

53 months ago

Looking to add Surgical Tech to our organization. We currently looking for skilled surgical tech for on call duty at a southside hospital. Hours vary. Please send your resume to brunettab@hotmail.com

Dot in Richfield, Utah

53 months ago

NSAA is the Gold Standard for Surgical Assistants.

peepee in Hampton, Virginia

44 months ago

fiohsdhfhauihfhhsdahuh d shuiahsdaihsduahgagh

Traci J in Saint Amant, Louisiana

44 months ago

I am a certified CST applying to sit for the First Assistant exam. I already have my 2 verification forms and 2 full years of experience with at least 350 documented cases. I know of 2 of my friends that are CST's and they are going through the Meridian First assistant program because they have no experience in assisting.My question is, "Is their an advantage of going through the course , instead of just sitting for the test?" Would the surgeons be able to bill for me the same as them?
Thanks!

lbottomly in Bakersfield, California

44 months ago

I am looking to go to San Joaquin Valley College in Bakersfield to be a surgical tech. They are charging $30,080 for the program. Does anyone know about that school and how are the job opportunities in Kern County?
Please let me know.
Lucette

cst in Eagle Pass, Texas

44 months ago

lbottomly in Bakersfield, California said: I am looking to go to San Joaquin Valley College in Bakersfield to be a surgical tech. They are charging $30,080 for the program. Does anyone know about that school and how are the job opportunities in Kern County?
Please let me know.
Lucette

trust me dont do it from bakersfield did that and didnt land job in cali but did in texas so if your willing to travel good like they say they help u but b.s. they just want your money so now after a couple of months finally landed a job in bakersfield but had to travel half way around the u.s my advise to anybody trying to get in s.t school plz,plz give it a 2ND thought........ its tough really tough....but happy to be going home finally.......................

Kathleen in Warwick, Rhode Island

43 months ago

Kim in Orlando, Florida said: I am currently working as a CST and I wanted to know how to go about becoming a CSTFA, and do you make more money with the extra tranning. Where are some places to get certified for that in Orlando FL and is the certification accepted nation wide.

You need to check with the State License Board to see if you need to be an RN first. In the state of Rhode Island, you need to be an RN to become a First Assist, drive 30 minutes to Massachusetts and you can be a Certified First Assist. That is what I did.

Suzie89 in Hialeah, Florida

42 months ago

gloria martinez in Baltimore, Maryland said: KIM, I was wondering! I am moving from Maryland to Orlando in about 1 month and I am searching for jobs over there and I have NO idea what a typical Surgical Tech makes in that area. I have 5 years experience and can scrub everything. Over here in Maryland we make about 27 to 45 dollars an hour. What is the range I can expect when I move there. Does 22 dollars an hour seem unrealistic? Please respond I have no one to help me with relocating.
Thanks Gloria

Actually you'll be lucky if you get 22/hr. A surgical Tech here in FLorica is a great job to have, but unfortunately here salaries aren't as good.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.