Frustrated Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Renee in Memphis ,TN in Memphis, Tennessee

95 months ago

Do anyone have any suggestions? Ive been out of surg school for two years now, along with several interviews and still cant find a job no one seem to want to hire you if you have no experience but, how will I get any if no one give me a chance. Very frustrated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

INEEDWOKNOW in Rochester, New York

95 months ago

I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Memphis ,TN in Memphis, Tennessee

95 months ago

The only thing that I can think of now is to maybe go to a hospital and see if I could do some volunteer work as a surgical tech and hope that maybe I could get a job eventally that way I guess it wont hurt to try

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aheckel in La Porte, Indiana

95 months ago

I am also having a terrible time finding a job due to lack of experience.I am currently working as an or aide so I can at least have a job. I just graduated in May,I do agree about how are you supposed to gain experience if no one will hire you or give you a chance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa

95 months ago

rd is on the light side. Than they decide to hire a surgical nurse instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

93 months ago

I agree , I'm not a negative person but if you read my posts on this forum you can see I'm getting very cynical . Last year at my school even the marginal people were getting jobs as new grads , now the best of the grads are not even getting an interview . I have sent out now 150 resumes online - not one interview - even for the 30 SPD jobs ...., I also hold a bachelors degree , I have had my own business and done alot of sales and ST is really not a super hard job.... I interned at a small hospital with one full time ST - they all liked me alot and wanted the hospital to hire me , but they had no openings . Its a joke putting in the online applications for a new grad they do not even LOOK at them . This is the worst thing about everyone wanting you to submit online...you cannot talk to a person you are automatically deleted , period . You cannot offer to volunteer , you can't even talk to someone . I have recommendations that say I am the best new grad and I have as much ability as experienced ST's. It just doesn't matter .
I had a talk today with a close friend that is the office mgr.at a big hospital ... she said they used to hire new grads but no more... the hospital is only hiring travelers and temps because they don't want to take a chance on hiring new full time people because of the economy , basically they would rather pay an agency $60 an hour for a ST than $15 an hour for a new grad because they are reluctant to take on any full time commitments with the current economic crisis ... maybe one reason for the lack of new hires - people hired before november wouldn't understand this .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Don in New York, New York

92 months ago

Hi Ovstampco,
I am about to graduate from a program - consider myself well-skilled for a beginner, good references, etc. and have been wondering how the economic situation would affect the hiring for new graduates; your post was timely! A few hospitals I've spoken with here have told me "no openings at present" but both also said there could be openings in the near future. Have you have heard more about this locally, or even from around the country generally? Health care (and surg-techs in particulary) were supposed to be shielded, for the most part, from most surrounding economic situations, yes? I wonder if the current situation will in fact effect the surg-tech world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ovstampco in Orange, California

92 months ago

The school you go to is important - but as a recent grad , not a person affiliated with a school..... I must point out that in todays market your doing well in school is a given , your doing well in your extern ( clinicals ) is a given - if you are mediocre forget it you'll be waiting tables. The only important matter that is out of your control should you enter this course of study is , and should be , do you want to have any chance of actually getting a job when you are finished with your school and clinicals ? Now most recent grads are not getting hired . But... many are - those that are getting hired are almost all getting hired on at their clinical sites . In other words , if you go through your clinicals and are not offered a job at the place where you externed , you have LITTLE OR NO chance of getting a job as a surgical tech .Even if you volunteer , even if you have 10 recommendation letters by top surgeons saying that you are so good you can "walk on water" Even if you offer to work for FREE , even if you are willing to accept a lesser position , even if you answer and apply to a thousand openings for ST within a 75 mile radius , and submit resumes for all of them you will probably NOT EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW - let alone a paying job . Unless .... you have a minimum of one year paid work experience in a surgical setting . The bottom line is : only go to a school that has a recent track record of their students getting hired on at their clinical sites over the last 6 months . The other stuff you hear is completely irrelevant .For whatever the reason - if you don't get hired on by your clinical site you won't get a job as a ST , thats the experience the 8 (good) grads had at my school - none of which has landed a job since OCT , despite working at it full time since graduating. Feel free to verify this , start calling hospitals , talk to any recent grads (last 6 months)that didn't get hired by their extern sites . Maybe its different in other parts of the state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don in New York, New York

92 months ago

Thanks alot for your comment: appreciate greatly your direct and honest observations. My external (clinical) site does in fact have some hirees from the previous graduating class in it (affiliated with the hospital) but in fact I was hoping to apply out of state altogether. thanks for the honest advice. I honestly thought it would be easier for new grads to get work than this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Rock in Boynton Beach, Florida

82 months ago

I have had the same bad luck. Looking for work for six months now, anywhere and everywhere and everyday! The school I attended had poor rapport with all the hospitals to boot. I had to find my own extern gig. Be very careful choosing this field. All jobs an agencies are requesting 6 mos. to a year experience.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

donbrx in Portland, Oregon

82 months ago

well, about one year post-graduation I can only attest to my experience and that of my collegues in my graduating class, from a big name school back east affilited very intimatetly with a major medical center. This particular program did almost nothing to help the graduates get hired, indeed the website of the program, as well as the student handbook we all got at the beginning of the term both were about 50% lies. At last count, 3 of the class of 9 got hired as a surg-tech out of the box and it was at one of the several clinical sites. My advice is to go into a program only after seeing for yourself: visit and observe with a critical judgement, and talk to other graduates. It's hit and miss - my adice to any and all considering this career: don't do it for the money, don't do it for the 'reliability' of the work in the health care field (which is exagerated). ONLY do it if you LOVE the work...if it's a passion to support the noble and fascinating work of the surgeon and the other staff. Otherwise the static bureacracy in our health care system, the false promises of the schools, the varying levels of intelligence of your soon-to be collegues, the wildly diverse levels you will encounter in patient compassion, committment to mentoring, less than ideal pay, and clinical competence, will be highly disheartening. You must love doing this work, period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sacred in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

I've been a surgical tech for over 10 years. I am a Naturopathic Doctor today. I am looking to relocate and wanted to use my Certified Surgical Tech experience to travel and see where I want to relocate. You can get help throuSgh the Surgical Technologist National Organization. Please be CERTIFIED. Don't give up on your profession and your desire to want to make a difference in the lives of others. Keep excelerating in your knowledge and skills. Work in Sterile Processing Divisions to maintain your working knowledge of instrumentation and add this to your cart of certification of experience. Remember to remain calm, focused, and pay attention to all details of your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I've been a surgical tech for over 10 years. I am a Naturopathic Doctor today. I am looking to relocate and wanted to use my Certified Surgical Tech experience to travel and see where I want to relocate. You can get help through the Surgical Technologist National Organization. Please be CERTIFIED. Don't give up on your profession and your desire to want to make a difference in the lives of others. Keep excelerating in your knowledge and skills. Work in Sterile Processing Divisions to maintain your working knowledge of instrumentation and add this to your cart of certification experience. Remember to remain calm, focused, and pay attention to all details of your career.

82 months ago

I've been a surgical tech for over 10 years. I am a Naturopathic Doctor today. I am looking to relocate and wanted to use my Certified Surgical Tech experience to travel and see where I want to grow as a new ND.
You can get help through the Surgical Technologist National Organization. Please be CERTIFIED. Don't give up on your profession and your desire to want to make a difference in the lives of others. Keep excelerating in your knowledge and skills. Work in Sterile Processing Divisions to maintain your working knowledge of instrumentation and add this to your cart of certification experience. Remember to remain calm, focused, and pay attention to all details of your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I've been a surgical tech for over 10 years. I am a Naturopathic Doctor today. I am looking to relocate and wanted to use my Certified Surgical Tech experience to travel and see where I want to grow as a new ND.
You can get help through the Surgical Technologist National Organization. Please be CERTIFIED. Don't give up on your profession and your desire to want to make a difference in the lives of others. Keep excelerating in your knowledge and skills. Work in Sterile Processing Divisions to maintain your working knowledge of instrumentation and add this to your cart of certification experience. Remember to remain calm, focused, and pay attention to all details of your career.

P.S.

You want a job now....look at Cleveland Clinic Surgical Tech Program for new grads and go for it!! You'll enjoy the environment and the latest technology applied by the facility and most importantly, the name of this place will give you leverage to all kinds of advances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

P.S.

You want a JOB NOW!!....look at Cleveland Clinic Surgical Tech Program for new grads and go for it!! You'll enjoy the environment and the latest technology applied by the facility and most importantly, the name of this place will give you leverage to all kinds of advances.

Sharp Blade in Van Nuys, California

78 months ago

Renee in Memphis ,TN in Memphis, Tennessee said: Do anyone have any suggestions? Ive been out of surg school for two years now, along with several interviews and still cant find a job no one seem to want to hire you if you have no experience but, how will I get any if no one give me a chance. Very frustrated

YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT THIS WEB SITE FOR NEW JOB LISTINGS EVERYDAY RESUME BUILDERS ALL KINDS OF THINGS....IT ROCKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coco tech in Elberton, Georgia

78 months ago

Actually I had a hard time at first but I soon was hired as an OB tech then I went to another facility working in the main OR. Had a few personal problems so I had to step aside. Now I have been trying to get back in and ITS HARD AS WELL YOU KNOW. I am at a larger hospital working as a PCT and I hate it..I have turned down traveling jobs because I did not want to travel. Now I am forced to go back and get those jobs. Iam only looking at traveling assignments only to get my experience going again. I recently tried to transfer to the Operating Room where I work at now as was not given the chance to speak with anyone. In a lot of cases its who you know! I'm going the traveling route now....its my only option.

Mel in Austin, Texas

77 months ago

I'm wondering if any of you guys are certified? That really helps.

angelanderson in Portland, Oregon

77 months ago

Tomorrow I will be interviewing Concorde here in Portland. They are one of only two ST programs in the entire Portland area. I have no idea what to expect, or how much money this program costs. I'm researching as many forums and online articles as possible to try to get a realistic idea of what I'm about to enter into.

This has proven to be a very interesting thread. I am concerned about finding work after completing this program, and am discouraged to see how difficult it is to get work as a new graduate. However, I cannot overlook the fact that the posts above contain a fair amount of grammatical and spelling errors, and I have to wonder if this might be a contributing factor to the apparent inability to secure employment. All the clinical training in the world can be useless if you're unable to submit an articulate resume and cover letter.

Just an observation from a casual observer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

foxy s in Castro Valley, California

76 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: I agree , I'm not a negative person but if you read my posts on this forum you can see I'm getting very cynical . Last year at my school even the marginal people were getting jobs as new grads , now the best of the grads are not even getting an interview . I have sent out now 150 resumes online - not one interview - even for the 30 SPD jobs ...., I also hold a bachelors degree , I have had my own business and done alot of sales and ST is really not a super hard job.... I interned at a small hospital with one full time ST - they all liked me alot and wanted the hospital to hire me , but they had no openings . Its a joke putting in the online applications for a new grad they do not even LOOK at them . This is the worst thing about everyone wanting you to submit online...you cannot talk to a person you are automatically deleted , period . You cannot offer to volunteer , you can't even talk to someone . I have recommendations that say I am the best new grad and I have as much ability as experienced ST's. It just doesn't matter .
I had a talk today with a close friend that is the office mgr.at a big hospital ... she said they used to hire new grads but no more... the hospital is only hiring travelers and temps because they don't want to take a chance on hiring new full time people because of the economy , basically they would rather pay an agency $60 an hour for a ST than $15 an hour for a new grad because they are reluctant to take on any full time commitments with the current economic crisis ... maybe one reason for the lack of new hires - people hired before november wouldn't understand this .

Hi i was lucky that I was already working in surgery as a sterilization/nursing assistant when i graduated from surgical tech school . I had to fight tooth and nail just to get my internship there and get hired. Look this may sound dishonest but sign up at a registry and fib about your experience. It worked .

Jacquie in Cleveland, Ohio

74 months ago

I've heard that if you can't find a job as a tech that you can apply to the Sterile Processing Department to get your foot in the door. You could also apply to work in the lab where they send specimen. I hope this helps!

kajeanine@*****.*** in Richmond, Virginia

71 months ago

I am having terrible problem for finding a job due to lack of experience.I am working as an CNA.I graduated in April.I don`t know how you can get experience if no one want hire you or give you a chance to get it.

moms2batti in North Olmsted, Ohio

69 months ago

Renee in Memphis ,TN in Memphis, Tennessee said: Do anyone have any suggestions? Ive been out of surg school for two years now, along with several interviews and still cant find a job no one seem to want to hire you if you have no experience but, how will I get any if no one give me a chance. Very frustrated

My brother has 15years experience and just came back to ohio from arizona where he went to school and has been working out there and no one will hire him here in ohio. the cleveland clinic is the worst place to try to get hired. he has been on five interviews and shadowed 3 times and they keep telling him the same thing they went with ANOTHER CANDIATE OR FILLED THE POSITION WITHIN THE DEPT. IF YOU ASK ME ITS JUST SMOKE BEING BLOWN I DO NoT THINK THEY HAVE ANY INTENTIONS OF HIREING ANYONE.

69 months ago

Jacquie in Cleveland, Ohio said: I've heard that if you can't find a job as a tech that you can apply to the Sterile Processing Department to get your foot in the door. You could also apply to work in the lab where they send specimen. I hope this helps!

That is a bunch of crap. I also applied for the sterile processing department at the cleveland clinic which is way below my qualifications and was told they went with some one else I also have 18 years experience doing surgery and can not get anything either....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

kajeanine@yahoo.fr in Richmond, Virginia said: I am having terrible problem for finding a job due to lack of experience.I am working as an CNA.I graduated in April.I don`t know how you can get experience if no one want hire you or give you a chance to get it.

even if you have experience they still won't hire you I have alot of years in too and nothing is seemingly available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peachessuga in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

hey yall I have an update. After much begging and pleading with my own employers, I had the chance to transfer to the Endoscopy Department. Yey you say? Not so fast my friends. In the hospial I work in Athens, Ga, they only hire folks like CNA's or anyone coming thru the door. THATS RIGHT It was a lateral move I was still making TEN dollars and some change. The experience was great because in my old Surg Tech job you had to be a CST to assist with Endoscopic procedures. Well friends my boss put me behind a desk. THAT'S RIGHT I became a darn secretary with every now and then I gets to assist in a procedure room with the doctors. I have had it up to my you know what with lying bosses. Well I went back and applied at a job in South Carolina. I just up dated my application and applied surgical terms to my new job in Endoscopy. Well people it WORKED! I interview for a PRN CST position and I got HIRED. So now I work one day a week as a CST and four as a Endoscopy Tech. I am getting the pay as a CST at the new position but I am cross training in Central Sterile. I am still hoping for more hours and more O.R. experience but I at least got my foot in the door. Keep trying everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

allgoodfa@*****.*** in Fort Worth, Texas

66 months ago

Please look at my web site:
FredTheAssistant.com

66 months ago

INEEDWOKNOW in Rochester, New York said: I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING.

FredTheAssistant.com

66 months ago

tobydan in Columbus, Indiana said: Are you a CST?

FredTheAssistant.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

aheckel in La Porte, Indiana said: I am also having a terrible time finding a job due to lack of experience.I am currently working as an or aide so I can at least have a job. I just graduated in May,I do agree about how are you supposed to gain experience if no one will hire you or give you a chance

FredTheAssistant.com

66 months ago

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa said: rd is on the light side. Than they decide to hire a surgical nurse instead.

FredTheAssistant.com

66 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: I agree , I'm not a negative person but if you read my posts on this forum you can see I'm getting very cynical . Last year at my school even the marginal people were getting jobs as new grads , now the best of the grads are not even getting an interview . I have sent out now 150 resumes online - not one interview - even for the 30 SPD jobs ...., I also hold a bachelors degree , I have had my own business and done alot of sales and ST is really not a super hard job.... I interned at a small hospital with one full time ST - they all liked me alot and wanted the hospital to hire me , but they had no openings . Its a joke putting in the online applications for a new grad they do not even LOOK at them . This is the worst thing about everyone wanting you to submit online...you cannot talk to a person you are automatically deleted , period . You cannot offer to volunteer , you can't even talk to someone . I have recommendations that say I am the best new grad and I have as much ability as experienced ST's. It just doesn't matter .

FredTheAssistant.com
also, please send me email addresses of other techs I might contact..Thank you

66 months ago

Don in New York, New York said: Hi Ovstampco,
I am about to graduate from a program - consider myself well-skilled for a beginner, good references, etc. and have been wondering how the economic situation would affect the hiring for new graduates; your post was timely! A few hospitals I've spoken with here have told me "no openings at present" but both also said there could be openings in the near future. Have you have heard more about this locally, or even from around the country generally? Health care (and surg-techs in particulary) were supposed to be shielded, for the most part, from most surrounding economic situations, yes? I wonder if the current situation will in fact effect the surg-tech world.

FredTheAssistant.com
also, please send me email addresses of other techs I might contact..Thank you

TR in Plant City, Florida

65 months ago

First I'd say to start your career you can't be picky. Take what ever job in the OR or hospital you can get. Two don't apply and wait for somone to call you. Call the OR manager, they may simply refer you to HR but at least call them. Call them to find out about openings and then call them after you've applied. If you're out of school for more than 2 months with out a job in the OR call your school and see if you can audit some of the lab classes to keep your skills fresh. In some rare cases you may even be able to audit an externship class. Many for-profit schools will allow their graduates to audit courses free of charge on a space available basis. Second set yourself up with an Indeed.com alert using the word "surgical", doesn't hurt to set one up with the word "scrub" as well. This way you'll get emailed all of the jobs that were posted the previous day with one of those words. If you're not certified get certified. If you're not far out of school two years or less call the school, especially if it was a for profit school, to see if they can help you pay for the CST exam. Every school that is programmatically acreditted for ST has to meet a metric requiring that 70-80% of their students be employed in the field, go back to school, have a medical waiver or joing the military. If you're a recent grad they may pay for your certifcation if it will help them increase their placement number (this depends on when you graduated) or they may offer some type of assistance with it. The most important thing are you can't be picky and you can't give up. If it means driving an hour to get there so be. You'll need at least a year of experience to start increasing your employment chances in the future. The advice may not apply to all of you but I hope this helps some of you. Pardon the typo's I'm doing this on the fly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

misse220 in Greensboro, North Carolina

64 months ago

who are the best companies to apply with for traveling in east

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

the man in Cape Coral, Florida

63 months ago

That is not true. I know of many people from my school here in Florida who graduated from a non-AST affiliated school that received jobs right away. Even received jobs not through their externships. Experience is good but there are plenty of people out there who will hire you without it.

mynhii in Oakland, California

63 months ago

aheckel in La Porte, Indiana said: I am also having a terrible time finding a job due to lack of experience.I am currently working as an or aide so I can at least have a job. I just graduated in May,I do agree about how are you supposed to gain experience if no one will hire you or give you a chance

Can you please show me how to apply a job as an or aide? I'm taking certified nursing assistant program with the hope that I can start working in health field and get some experience. If I can get in the OR, I'll be more than happy regardless the kind of work. Thank you.

valerkha in Alexandria, Virginia

59 months ago

You have had your clinical,rite?There is 3 months of experience put it on your resume.I had 150 cases and it gives me some experience..plus my supervisor told me that rite attitude is more important than the experience.You can try also to apply for orderly (or surgical nurse assistant) just to get into OR.I just out of school, one month but already went through successful interview...keep my fingers crossed.Good luck

Experienced Surgical Tech in Roanoke, Virginia

59 months ago

To all of those discouraged...do not give up. Try thinking outside of the box. Ask to speak to the OR manager or OR educator at your hospital of choice. Be persistant. Send your resume directly to the OR manager and/or the educator. Yes, I am telling you to bypass HR. Get letters of recommendation from surgeons that you have worked with if possible. Let those surgeons know that you are looking for a job. Surgeons can pull more weight during negotiations. Dont give up....Just think beyond what everyone like yourself is doing.

kajeanine@*****.*** in Richmond, Virginia

59 months ago

I am almost give up.I finished my school last april. I took my certification test on May 21 last year. I am still looking for job.Every opening job need experience,how we will going to have experience without giving us that chance? Whoever hiring need to know that we not going to have experience if noboby hiring us, and they need to remember that before they get experience they have someone had to help them.So think about someone who just spent 2years at school and graduated 18 months ago still looking for job. Stragering to pay Student loan.Please HELP...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Surgical Technologist in Roanoke, Virginia

59 months ago

If you are in Richmond, have you applied at Bon Secours St Francis? They have a full time night position and specifically indicate the position is ENTRY-LEVEL. Also, Sentara in Hampton, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Riverside Hospital in Williamsburg and HCA hospitals in the Roanoke area. Here's the thing. You may need to broaden your search to other areas. Try surgery centers as well. Keep trying. Call the main number at the hospital and ask for the OR educator or OR manager. If you can get their voicemail, leave a message regarding your experience. Send them a packet with your crdentials (CST certificate, diploma, letters of recommendation.) Offer to work on a trial basis to prove yourself.

Often times people in the HR department do not know what the OR needs. They have an idea but usually no clue. Therefore, the OR staff never see your application unless an HR person takes the time to forward it. In addition, most hospitals are in need of quality surgical technologists as opposed to travelers.It takes time, but dont give up. Hang in there persistence works. Also try to network with fellow ST's. And keep in contact with your college for possible job updates! Hope all works out for you!

kajeanine@*****.*** in Midlothian, Virginia

59 months ago

Thank very much for your advices.Like i said everyone require experience for 12 or 18 months.Please pray for surgical techs to get chance to have someone who can hire them so they can get the experience they need.If i can get somewhere i can volunteer i will be glad. I will try at Sentara and see, i may get a chance.

Thanks again.

Experienced Surgical Technologist in Blacksburg, Virginia

59 months ago

Apply anyway even if it is 12-18 months. Also, try UVA Medical Center. I hear they are down many positions. Some travelers have been there for a year. They are desperately in need of surgical technologists. Good Luck!

59 months ago

Thanks.

59 months ago

Can you please tell me how i can apply a job as OR aide? Right now i`am Nurse Assistant at Nursing home.

valerkha in Arlington, Virginia

59 months ago

Hi! Apply every single hospital that has a surgical department. make a plan to apply at list of one position a day! Usialy it takes 25-50 application to get one call foe interview! Dont forget to make a good RESUME ! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT! Are you certified? if not do it.it takes only 2 months.If you need certification make sure that school has clinical site at the surgical department and volunteer for your clinical s there.also you can apply at any other hospital departments as a Nursing assistant. There ARE TONS OF JOBS!!!!Then working there to make a transfer to OR!It is always easier to transfer at the same hospital.Are you planning to become A certified surg tech??? I just did it.Graduated in September and already was proposed A JOB!!!!But I worked as a phlebotomist for 2 years before Ive decided to go for surg tech! I were working hard and developed web connections and become a friends with doctors and nurses for my future references.Now my salary is going to be 5$more! You need to be very active and persistent in your goals.Good luck.valeria

59 months ago

I am certified since last May.Each hospital need experience.What can i do to get job? Right now i`am CNA at Nursing home.I am very frustrated.I don`t know what to do.I `am planing to go back to school to get RN degree. What do you think?

valerkha in Arlington, Virginia

59 months ago

That is also hard to find a job as an RN or ex ray tech if you are a new graduate.If i were you I would apply both CNA and a surg tech at any possible hospital!!!! Againg HOSPITAL not a nursing home.
cause surg tech makes more money than CNA I would get a job first,save some money then I would go for RN.But if some one paying for your school and you dont have to work -different story. And another thing Why did you waist one year of your life and go for ST if you not trying hard to find a job???be ready to relocate if you find anything in other cities.be assertive and try harder!I started to apply one month before graduation. Now than one hospital is already offer me a position another asking for interview. It took almost 3 month to get a result...I were aplying at least of 2-3 jobs every single day.

vouaghnbryant@*****.*** in Pasadena, California

55 months ago

Mel in Austin, Texas said: I'm wondering if any of you guys are certified? That really helps.

I am Certified, and still am having a hard time as well..

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.