Georgia Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Angela in Tucker, Georgia

79 months ago

Are there any Georgia Surgical Techs looking for a job? We can start a Network of Surgical Techs here. It seems that New York has there system working for them. We need to come together and help one another. I'm speaking to those that are employed at the hospitals, clinics, outpatient centers etc.

I would like to here from the Surgical Tech here in Atlanta, GA and know of good strategies to help with the search of and assistance from inside of the work force. The economy really doesn't help the unemployment rate. We now have to help each other, I would like to thank everyone for there comments:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Edwards in Milledgeville, Georgia

76 months ago

hey, im in~ Surgical tech~Macon<ga

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shanda in Douglasville/villa Rica GA in Douglasville, Georgia

76 months ago

Hey, I am a surgical tech. I finished school almost 5 years ago. I am still looking for work in the field. I have been working as a sterile processor in a hospital waiting for a scrub job for 4 years now. About one year ago i decided to go back to school and get my RN. I would tell everyone thinking about becomeing a tech "Don't waste your time!" Go for the RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

76 months ago

Wow still looking for a job 5 years later! That answers my question of if I should become a Surgical Tech. I'm thinking of switching careers, but finding a job as a Surgical Tech makes me nervous and the RN job sounds quite stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Greenwood, South Carolina

76 months ago

I have just started the Surg. Tech program at a local technical college and I wanted to move to Atlanta,GA because surgical techs make 8% higher than SC. Now that students who are already in the area can't find jobs Im nervous. Hopefully by June 2009 a demand for certified Surgical Technicians will be greatly needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

randy in Griffin, Georgia

74 months ago

hey guys i'm glad i found this spot. I am at Georgia St. just starting classes for Rn. i was thinking about surgical tech school but dont know of any in ga. but after reading these comments i better stick it out in rn school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jdbaxter01@alltel.net in Thomaston, Georgia

68 months ago

Kevin in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina said: Wow still looking for a job 5 years later! That answers my question of if I should become a Surgical Tech. I'm thinking of switching careers, but finding a job as a Surgical Tech makes me nervous and the RN job sounds quite stressful.

Indeed. I am finding all this out now. I can't find a job as a scrub. Good Lord. RN does appear stressful, but that seems the only way to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Hotel, California

68 months ago

Amber in Greenwood, South Carolina said: I have just started the Surg. Tech program at a local technical college and I wanted to move to Atlanta,GA because surgical techs make 8% higher than SC. Now that students who are already in the area can't find jobs Im nervous. Hopefully by June 2009 a demand for certified Surgical Technicians will be greatly needed.

Here in California, its difficult too, for the "new grad." RN, you'll make more money, but you will be paying more tuition though as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coopdville in south yarmouth, Massachusetts

65 months ago

I am a travelin open heart surgical tech and have been trying to find something in Atlanta but would take something close to there. Does anyone know of any companies that are hiring in that area. I would even consider a full time position at the right hospital for the right salary. I have been doing open hearts for 15 yrs and have been traveling for 7.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOIS in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Yes, tell me about it. First I did my extern at a hospital for five months.They never offered me a dime. It appears that nurses do get all the work,but there is still a need for good scrub techs because nurses donot always want to work in surgery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobbyray in Tacoma, Washington

63 months ago

hi angela,i am a o.r tech of 20yrs and am moving to alferetta,ga.in a few mo,s.i am looking for a facility that does openhearts?can you start me outin the right direction?i,ve been looking on line and have spoke with medstaff,who has a company in atl.please feel free to email me at stl613@msn.com.this forum is a great idea i will save in my favorites,thnks,Bobby

Bill Cole in Gulfport, Mississippi

63 months ago

My name is Bill and Im retired but looking for something to do for my last years. Im 60 years old but in good shape. I am thinking about enrolling in a Surgical Tech program at a Jr. College just around the corner from my home.They have a one year program, but just wondering what the job market will be in a year. I have been reading that the trend is for growth in this market till 2016. Please looking for any comment I can get about this. thanks..........Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Baxter in Thomaston, Georgia

63 months ago

Just a short reply. It is very difficult to land a job in the surgical technology field. Atleast here in Ga. it is.

Bill Cole in Gulfport, Mississippi

63 months ago

thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

Amber in Greenwood, South Carolina

63 months ago

It is that's why I moved to Columbia SC and got a job at an eye clinic. I stil had a rough time though.

sonya in Augusta, Georgia

62 months ago

jdbaxter01@alltel.net in Thomaston, Georgia said: Indeed. I am finding all this out now. I can't find a job as a scrub. Good Lord. RN does appear stressful, but that seems the only way to get a job.

the surgical technician field is becoming too saturated. sometimes you have to pack up your bags and move. the nursing field is crazy too twenty years ago you could get into a nursing program with a c average try it now. on top of that they are making you take hard entrance exams. i have to admit nursing is not for everyone and money is not everything,but it helps. i still do not believe there is a dire need for registered nurses because they make it too hard to go to school and stick with it. it was easier twenty years ago. to this day i wish i had listened to my mother and went on ahead and got my nursing degree. it's never to late but the competition is fierce. good luck!

62 months ago

John Baxter in Thomaston, Georgia said: Just a short reply. It is very difficult to land a job in the surgical technology field. Atleast here in Ga. it is.

the surgical technology field is becoming saturated like everything else except for nursing. i guess because the program is only for one year and most people figure that they can handle a year of studying. truthfully the south is becoming overcrowded with surgical technicans. the only way to get ahead is to specialize in something like ortho,neuro or open hearts once you have a year under your belt. or you could possibilty move upstate somewhere. either way from someone who has had alot of surgical technician jobs if you have a decent job keep it. times are hard.

62 months ago

John Baxter in Thomaston, Georgia said: Just a short reply. It is very difficult to land a job in the surgical technology field. Atleast here in Ga. it is.

the field is becoming saturated. and people are not leaving the surgical tech field like they used to,which would open up more doors for newcomers and also people are not retiring early anymore because these hospitals are not given them any incentive to do so.

62 months ago

jdbaxter01@alltel.net in Thomaston, Georgia said: Indeed. I am finding all this out now. I can't find a job as a scrub. Good Lord. RN does appear stressful, but that seems the only way to get a job.

sometimes you have to uproot yourself and move! the field is becoming too saturated.

Corey Mcclintock in Columbia, Maryland

60 months ago

I know of surgical tech opportunities in Maryland. If interested email me. cemcclintock@yahoo.com

Michelle Rogers in Kennesaw, Georgia

60 months ago

I graduated my Surgical Tech program a year ago, and have yet to find a job. We moved from Las Vegas to north Atlanta, and I finished my clinicals here, and was offered a job at the hospital I was at, but I had some paperwok that th school needed me to do and would have taken about 2 weeks to get my diploma and they couldn't wait. So I lost ot on it. I have been looking in Atlanta and in Macon, and have found nothing for someone just starting out.Eeryone wants experience. Well how do I get experience if I can't get my foot in the door somewhere? I am starting back to school in the fall to finish my degree. I would LOVE to find a tech job,but am starting to feel like it was a huge waste of money. I could have spent those 2 years in Nursing school and been done with my nursing now.

Amber in Columbia, South Carolina

60 months ago

I felt the same way after i graduated. Try to look for small clinics that specialize in outpatient surgeries. Im starting out in an eye clinic to gain experience.

Jesse in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

I am starting the surg. tech. program at Chattahoochee Tech. I was very excited about it until I read this... Has the field opened up any from the time these comments were posted until now? Also if the best way to get a job in the field is to specialize in something how do I go about doing that? What is the problem!! Are the hospitals making the nurses do the work that the Surg Techs should be doing?

Amber in Columbia, South Carolina

57 months ago

When you are going through the program you will get the chance to become familiar with all surgeries. In my class out of 17 students only 4 got jobs hopefully the field will open more opportunities to new graduates.A great point was made when you commented on nurses being cross-trained into the field. That is very much true but nurses don't really want the job we do.

slapnasty in Columbia, Maryland

57 months ago

jobs that pat best are in the DC maryland area. Go contract jobs. I know a few to who's interested.

Gemini88 in Smyrna, Georgia

57 months ago

Hi Im moving to Ga at the end of the month and am looking for schools for Surgical Tech and would like to know what good schools are there here. I was looking at Chatahoochee Tech and Everest but from the sound of it, it doesn't sound like there are any job opportunities for it. I'm 21 and really would like some type of feedback about this thanx!!!

John Baxter in Thomaston, Georgia

57 months ago

I would not waste my time taking Surgical Technology, but then again your 21 and probably female so you might can get a job in this field. Maybe you should go on and get your RN. There's jobs with this degree.

Ravi CST- CFA in Covington, Georgia

57 months ago

Dont get mad, Get GLAD. I've been scrubbing for a while now. The main thing is that you snag a CAAHEP accredited school, after finishing a surgical technology program - there is a transition course to SFA = Surgical first assistant. Imagine having a broader scope of practice by closing and cauterizing without having to worry about the count or other grunt work that we all have slaved behind. You assisnt in surgery, then break scrub and leave....that's right, now YOUR being gloved!
The average base pay for a SFA/SA is 45-50,000 a year without OT and call added on and that's working for a hospital or wherever. If you start you own practice, which you can as a SFA/SA, you assist and bill the patient's insurance for your PAY!...that's right people 6 figure potential. Get motivated and do your research. Being a surgical technologist is hard and we are the backbone of the OR, we owe it to ourselves to move up and make more $$.So, you if you finished a CAAHEP accredited ST program and need a SFA/SA program?!!?? SURE! Meridian institute of surgical first assisting offers an ONLINE CAAHEP accredited program....SHOOT me if i'm wrong! it's around 5,000 dollars and when your done which is 1 YEAR , you'll be a FA, then you just have to sit and pass the certification exam to be a Certified Surgical First Assistant.There, you go.Never regret going to school for surgical technology, use what you have better yourself if you have a passion for the OR.In these tough times, I agree that everyone's input is needed so there's my 2 cents and hope it gives you more SENSE. I finished Meridian, I will have my own practice soon. So, Good Luck and keep on movin' on.

Ravi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gail in Gainesville, Georgia

57 months ago

Ravi CST- CFA in Covington, Georgia said: Dont get mad, Get GLAD. I've been scrubbing for a while now. The main thing is that you snag a CAAHEP accredited school, after finishing a surgical technology program - there is a transition course to SFA = Surgical first assistant. Imagine having a broader scope of practice by closing and cauterizing without having to worry about the count or other grunt work that we all have slaved behind. You assisnt in surgery, then break scrub and leave....that's right, now YOUR being gloved!
The average base pay for a SFA/SA is 45-50,000 a year without OT and call added on and that's working for a hospital or wherever. If you start you own practice, which you can as a SFA/SA, you assist and bill the patient's insurance for your PAY!...that's right people 6 figure potential. Get motivated and do your research. Being a surgical technologist is hard and we are the backbone of the OR, we owe it to ourselves to move up and make more $$.So, you if you finished a CAAHEP accredited ST program and need a SFA/SA program?!!?? SURE! Meridian institute of surgical first assisting offers an ONLINE CAAHEP accredited program....SHOOT me if i'm wrong! it's around 5,000 dollars and when your done which is 1 YEAR , you'll be a FA, then you just have to sit and pass the certification exam to be a Certified Surgical First Assistant.There, you go.Never regret going to school for surgical technology, use what you have better yourself if you have a passion for the OR.In these tough times, I agree that everyone's input is needed so there's my 2 cents and hope it gives you more SENSE. I finished Meridian, I will have my own practice soon. So, Good Luck and keep on movin' on.

Ravi

Thank you for explaining in detail the positive side of surgical tech and good advise on the CAAHEP and the SFA. I'm getting ready to enroll in a program at a technical college. Now I know the right questions to ask by gaining more knowledge. Many Thanks.

lost in Santa Rosa, California

57 months ago

Shanda in Douglasville/villa Rica GA in Douglasville, Georgia said: Hey, I am a surgical tech. I finished school almost 5 years ago. I am still looking for work in the field. I have been working as a sterile processor in a hospital waiting for a scrub job for 4 years now. About one year ago i decided to go back to school and get my RN. I would tell everyone thinking about becomeing a tech "Don't waste your time!" Go for the RN

Look at the RN form before you decide that being a surgical tech is a waste of time. New grad RNs are not being hired either. At least you have a job!

Lizette in Lynnwood, Washington

56 months ago

For all of you are trying to find a Job there are opportunities at Washington University, Seattle WA. Experience is requiered. Times are hard right now but Seattle have a good market for Surgical Techs.

Antone in Stone Mountain, Georgia

56 months ago

Ravi,
I would love to chat with you about the ST career path. I live near you in Bethlehem area.
Tony

Ravi CST- CFA in Covington, Georgia said: Dont get mad, Get GLAD. I've been scrubbing for a while now. The main thing is that you snag a CAAHEP accredited school, after finishing a surgical technology program - there is a transition course to SFA = Surgical first assistant. Imagine having a broader scope of practice by closing and cauterizing without having to worry about the count or other grunt work that we all have slaved behind. You assisnt in surgery, then break scrub and leave....that's right, now YOUR being gloved!

Ravi

Ravi in Covington, Georgia

56 months ago

Antone in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: Ravi,
I would love to chat with you about the ST career path. I live near you in Bethlehem area.
Tony

E-mail me @ "cutit_2004@yahoo.com"

Ravi

Z in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

Angela in Tucker, Georgia said: Are there any Georgia Surgical Techs looking for a job? We can start a Network of Surgical Techs here. It seems that New York has there system working for them. We need to come together and help one another. I'm speaking to those that are employed at the hospitals, clinics, outpatient centers etc.

I would like to here from the Surgical Tech here in Atlanta, GA and know of good strategies to help with the search of and assistance from inside of the work force. The economy really doesn't help the unemployment rate. We now have to help each other, I would like to thank everyone for there comments:

Don't become a CST! Its hard to a job, if you don't believe me call some of the ads that are posted on the internet and they will all say "we are only looking for people with experience". The pay is low considering the bad hours, working conditions, strange moody OR employees, needle sticks etc. Hey, this is my opinion so take it for what it is worth. There are plenty of other health care careers that are much better don't waste your money and time on becoming a CST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: Don't become a CST! Its hard to a job, if you don't believe me call some of the ads that are posted on the internet and they will all say "we are only looking for people with experience". The pay is low considering the bad hours, working conditions, strange moody OR employees, needle sticks etc. Hey, this is my opinion so take it for what it is worth. There are plenty of other health care careers that are much better don't waste your money and time on becoming a CST.

Thanks for your comment Z, I'm doing pharmacy tech at houston community college. Surgical tech really caught my eye, because of the pay. I was wondering if the feild was doing well or not. Pharmacy Tech in houston is doing okay especially if you went through a community college and not one of those technical schools. But medical assistant is not doing so well even for HCC grads.

I'm an engeneering major because my dad's been an engeneer for 30 years and he's my way in to the feild, but I need a job where I can pay my bills and stay in school is why I'm doing this pharmacy tech thing.

When finished I'm looking to move to the Dallas area, because I have family in Grapevine, my cousin goes to UTD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

Good choice! There are more pharmacy tech jobs than surg tech jobs!

Carolyn in Marietta, Georgia

49 months ago

Antone in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: Ravi,
Tony

Hi ravi my name is carolyn and am looking into going for ST at Gwinnett Tech.What are your thoughts or which college do you think offers a better program??? Have you found work already and it is easier to get a job in atlanta as a SFA???I am reading on the blog and alot of people are saying they can' find work so am kinda skeptical on the ST program.Help me out or give me some advice.

Thanks Much

Mia in Tucson, Arizona

48 months ago

Ravi in Covington, Georgia said: E-mail me @ "cutit_2004@yahoo.com"

Ravi

Hi Ravi, I am moving to Keenesaw GA in 5 months & I am in the ST program, if you have time I would like some more advice regarding the career path of an ST.

Thank you

pam LPN in Lithonia, Georgia

47 months ago

I have been a LPN for 32 years, was going for my RN became to tedious, especially in Georgia, They want all kinds of core classes that take years to complete when you work a fulltime job already. Besides nursing is getting too political, and paperwork is outrageous you have 10 pieces of paper for 1 thing you do. With the new state laws you have no rights, the patient has all the rights they can hit, kick, spit, curse or whatever they want to do to you , you on the other hand can't do or say a word. Nurses used to have each others back now it's like crabs in a barrel, they only look out for themselves. The schools only care about the money they make on the classes they require you to take which you don't need over half of them look at the core classes and ask yourself about them. Just my opinion and experience.

47 months ago

I am changing to ST classes in the spring at GTC did it for 11 years and enjoyed it no paperwork.

Karen in Cleveland, Georgia

47 months ago

SO TRUE!!!

47 months ago

You know I tell the truth, so BEWARE going to RN school in gerogia if you work fulltime they are not sympathic to you at all your GPA needs to be at least a 4.0 or you not in. Even if you have been a LPN for years, and the nursing classes or redundant to you.

Kens in Duluth, Georgia

46 months ago

Carolyn in Marietta, Georgia said: Hi ravi my name is carolyn and am looking into going for ST at Gwinnett Tech.What are your thoughts or which college do you think offers a better program??? Have you found work already and it is easier to get a job in atlanta as a SFA???I am reading on the blog and alot of people are saying they can' find work so am kinda skeptical on the ST program.Help me out or give me some advice.

Thanks Much

Hi Carolyn. My name is Ken. I am waiting to start the ST program at GTC in fall 2011. Have you started the ST program? If you have I would like to ask you about the process of getting into the program. I agree I am worried about find a job after reading this blog. May have to move to find work. Thanks.

Michelle Johnson in Ann Arbor, Michigan

45 months ago

I was looking last week a couple of hospitals in GA and found two that were hiring for Surgical Techs. What is the going pay for Surg techs in GA? I currently work in Ann Arbor MI and make $19.00 and change. My husband and I are currently thinking of moving due to the weather here in Michigan. Is the cost of living lower than Michigan?

suzieg9171 in Asheville, North Carolina

45 months ago

Athens Technical college in Athens GA has an awesome program!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carolynek2007 in Marietta, Georgia

43 months ago

Hi Ken,

I was traveling and busy working so I have not been on this blog here for quite a minute.I decided to take nursing instead have you enrolled at Gwinnett tech?

momtomaddox in Atlanta, Georgia

35 months ago

Kens in Duluth, Georgia said: Hi Carolyn. My name is Ken. I am waiting to start the ST program at GTC in fall 2011. Have you started the ST program? If you have I would like to ask you about the process of getting into the program. I agree I am worried about find a job after reading this blog. May have to move to find work. Thanks.

Hi Ken,
I am starting Gwinnett Tech this summer to do a few pre-reqs for the ST program that starts jan 2013. You said you were starting fall 2011. Have you finished? what was your experience like? Do you recommend anything and most important, have you found work? Since I am just about to start the program and found this forum, I'm becoming worried. I am 37 and about to do a complete career change. I have a child and can not afford to screw myself, if you know what I mean. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!!

sgray in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

Ravi

Hi ravi thank you for the positive aspect of this. I would like to know more about what your doing, I am very interested so if we can talk and you give me more information I would gladly appreciate it. sheiladg@gmail.com

LaTanya Card in Macon, Georgia

30 months ago

Angela in Tucker, Georgia said: Are there any Georgia Surgical Techs looking for a job? We can start a Network of Surgical Techs here. It seems that New York has there system working for them. We need to come together and help one another. I'm speaking to those that are employed at the hospitals, clinics, outpatient centers etc.

I have been nationaly certified since 2008 and have yet to work in my field. I am a single parent of 2 and one child has been diagnosed with atuism. I had a job working in a chicken plant and I hated it so much I had to quit because it was humiluating and I had to travel an hour to and from work. In four years I have had three interviews as a instrament tech and I still cannot get a job. I am depressed I can't afford to go back to school. And I may be facing some health issues my self. All I want to do is work in my field and make something of my self. A chance is all I wan.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.