Non-Hospital Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Newsurgtech2012 in Bradenton, Florida

50 months ago

Hello,

I am a recent grad of an accredited Surgical Tech school and I took my CST exam this past Monday Im waiting for the results (I guess now if you take it together at your school as a class, NBSTSA has to wait for proof of graduation) anyway.....I am looking for a job that I can utilize my surg tech skills. It seems all the hospitals I have applied for wants 1 or 2 years experience. My clinical site wants me, but its PRN and 45 miles from my house. I guess what Im asking is what other jobs can I apply for?

Thanks so much!! :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Leonardo1 in Grosse Ile, Michigan

50 months ago

Newsurgtech2012 in Bradenton, Florida said: Hello,

I am a recent grad of an accredited Surgical Tech school and I took my CST exam this past Monday Im waiting for the results (I guess now if you take it together at your school as a class, NBSTSA has to wait for proof of graduation) anyway.....I am looking for a job that I can utilize my surg tech skills. It seems all the hospitals I have applied for wants 1 or 2 years experience. My clinical site wants me, but its PRN and 45 miles from my house. I guess what Im asking is what other jobs can I apply for?

Thanks so much!! :o)

All hospitals will post that they want at least 6mths -2 years of experience, Just ignore that and apply anyway, and apply for everything. I don't know how strict Florida is on CST requirements but in Michigan I only know of 1 hospital out of 20+ that actually require certification. Most all hospitals will say certification preferred, like I said before start applying now. Ive noticed some of my ST classmates were so conserned about waiting to become certified before applying for jobs, while I was applying for jobs before I graduated from the program, which paid off. What is PRN??? Other non-hospiatl jobs would be doctors offices, surgery centers, plastic surgeon offices, dental or oral surgery facilities, but you want to work at a hospital straight out of school for sure. Right now you need to learn and master all the services so you can pick and choose where you want to work later. Even if you have to drive 45 miles for 6 months or so, it may be worth it for the resume experience. But trust me, keep applying and check those hospital website openings daily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.