Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 463)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical surgical technician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

96 months ago

It's all about experience and what you have to offer them. Generally surgery centers and heart team members seem to make more money. It takes alot to get into smaller surgery centers or specialty centers, you just have to put your time in. In Oklahoma the ranges are from $13 to $20 hr. With time in you can even make way above these figures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JACKIE HICKS FUTURE TECH

90 months ago

Cristie, I'd like to know what types of surgeries do you assist in and have you ever worked for an agency?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Maria Pendleton in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Host said: What are typical surgical technician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

please tell me the hourly rate for a surgical tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn Black in Duluth, Minnesota

86 months ago

Kathy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: It's all about experience and what you have to offer them. Generally surgery centers and heart team members seem to make more money. It takes alot to get into smaller surgery centers or specialty centers, you just have to put your time in. In Oklahoma the ranges are from $13 to $20 hr. With time in you can even make way above these figures.

minnesota top pay here is 8.00- 10.00 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

rachel in Gresham, Oregon

86 months ago

Host said: What are typical surgical technician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

Get on the internet and do some research, as it varies greatly according to location. In the Portland OR area, it's $15-16 hr.

Surgical tech. is a very limeted field, you mainly set up,hand instruments, gather up the instruments after surgery and scrub docs and nurses in. There's a lot of standing around doing nothing in the meantime. Skills that are hardly expandable. Although you can, with experience and further education, go on to first assist, which pays better. You want money and more opportunity, go into nursing, not surg. tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

braintech6 in Arlington, Virginia

85 months ago

I have been a surgical technologist for over 15 years and my current wage is 27.95 per hour, excluding call. When you total in the call pay, I average over 56,000.00 a year. I know of RN's that are making less and have more experience that I do. Hope that this has been helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

cplank in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

I live in Central PA and I went to College for one yr. Got a certificate, got a job and now I am on the Cardiac team and make almost 19/hr plus 4 dollars an hour to be on call. So far this yr I have made almost 8k just taking call!!!! Your not going to get out of college and make 60k,70k,80k, etc a yr!!! You need to work your way up. I started at 9.90ish in 2001. I am currently going to school through NIFA(www.surgicalassisting.com) to get my certificate in First Assisting, also I am learning to harvest vein for the heart bypass's. It is a lot of work but I am loving it so far!!! I have an idea of my raise but have not recieved an official amount yet. All I know is I'll be making about 10-15k more a yr. If you wanna make 80-150k a yr right out of school become a lawyer, PA, etc. I have a descent house, which I plan on buying/building in 6-10 yrs from now b/c we will be outgrowing this one. So you can make out pretty good in this profession!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

yatu in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

who is a frist assist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Serena in Knoxville, Tennessee

84 months ago

In Knoxville, TN, the salary, depending upon experience and specialization, is between $13.00/hr and $18.00/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Seattle, Washington

84 months ago

Just curious...How much more would your wage increase if you become a first assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Depends where your from, schooling, experience, if you work for surgeon, or hospital, etc. I work for a hospital and I am hoping to get a 5-8 dollar/hr increase from 19/hr that I make now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Seattle, Washington

84 months ago

cplank in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: Depends where your from, schooling, experience, if you work for surgeon, or hospital, etc. I work for a hospital and I am hoping to get a 5-8 dollar/hr increase from 19/hr that I make now.

that's not bad...and if you get on-calls too.

In your opinion was the ST's coursework diffcult? I'm trying to gauage the diffuculities of the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenniferbuzzelli in knoxville, Tennessee

82 months ago

I am trying to find a good surgical tech program. Can you tell me of one in the knoxville area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Brooklyn, New York

82 months ago

I work in NYU medical center, with almost 2 years experience i made a little over 60k this year. I average about 48 hours a week. Pay is decent but unfortunatly you cannot first asisst as a tech in New York state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

candace in Vale, North Carolina

82 months ago

was the course work hard, would you say it was worth it I think I am going to do this while I wait to get into the nursing program. A little experience under my belt will help. I am currently working at a hospital as a CNA. What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

dawn in Boston, Massachusetts

82 months ago

hello - i am thinking of becoming a surg tech here in boston - been in healthcare for over 11 yrs - i just don't want to go backward according to pay - do you actually make more being on-call?? what is the average salary for some1 in boston, does any1 know? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

surgicaltechwannatobe in Hempstead, New York

82 months ago

Do you know the salary average on Long Island
as a sugical tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

surgicaltechwannatobe in Hempstead, New York said: Mike do you know what the salary average is for Long Island

I dont know the average, but a friend of mine works in LIJ i believe and the start for him was 42 or 44k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JP in Eglin Afb, Florida

82 months ago

I am thinking about going to school as surg tech after i get out of the AF. I've been looking into some of the courses that are in the school. Are they pretty difficult? I know school is no walk the park, esspecially when it comes to the medical field. I've already been consulting with General Surgery on base and i'm trying to get a shaddow spot during a few surgeries to see what it's really like before I get myself in too, and to see if this is what i really want to do. This line work seems like it'd pretty fun, up-beat, and rewarding thats why i'd like to do it. If you guys have any info i'd like to get some.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

surgicaltechwannatobe in Hempstead, New York

82 months ago

mike in Brooklyn, New York said: I dont know the average, but a friend of mine works in LIJ i believe and the start for him was 42 or 44k.

Thanks for the info. I am going to Nassau CC
and I just wanted to know what was your beginning salary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Rockville Centre, New York

82 months ago

mike in Brooklyn, New York said: I work in NYU medical center, with almost 2 years experience i made a little over 60k this year. I average about 48 hours a week. Pay is decent but unfortunatly you cannot first asisst as a tech in New York state.

Hello Mike, is that 60k as a Surgical Tech? Base pay or on call included?
I work in Central Sterile Dept.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jake in Cambridge, Massachusetts

82 months ago

I'm going to BHCC for surgecal technology program in boston,but i don't know how much i will get pay in my first year. anyone have information? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

F in Modesto, California

81 months ago

My first job payed me $18 an hour in a private surgery center. This past year I made over $42k working part-time, no weekends and no call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Jason in Rockville Centre, New York said: Hello Mike, is that 60k as a Surgical Tech? Base pay or on call included?
I work in Central Sterile Dept.
Thanks

Base is 48k and i average about 8 hours of ovetime/call a week. So all together with ot a little over 60.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Levittown, New York

81 months ago

mike in Brooklyn, New York said: Base is 48k and i average about 8 hours of ovetime/call a week. So all together with ot a little over 60.

You started out at 48K?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carey

81 months ago

I am in school now to be a Surg Tech. I will be done by late July and soon after start my 300 hour Externship. I live in NJ so I have alot of places I can choose to go (philly, nyc all of jersey ect.) But I was wondering if anyone knows if I can work for a Vet.? I have no idea where or what feild I want to work lol. Preety sure I don't want to do Labor and Delivery. I know NJ pays good to start (mostly around $20 an hour adverage). But does anyone know what the shifts are like? My Instructor did for 17 years 12 hours a day 3 days a week. Is this basicly the shifts? Also, does anyone have any sugestions for starting out as far as working in a hospital, or sugery center, or for a Dentist ect? Any help would be greatful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Isaac in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

I am about to start my externship here in houston for my ST program. I see the person above me has a 300hr externship. Mine is 640hours total of externship. WHy does it vary so much? I know houston has some of the best trauma centers in the world. Can anyone tell me what they make if they live here in Houston? Also to the man who is in first assisting. I've read alot about that, but want to kno the preresequites for starting education in that field. Thanks for any help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beware the for-profit monster in Sarasota, Florida

81 months ago

I believe the minimum amount of clinical hours necessary for all CAHHEP accredited programs is 540 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Corpus Christi, Texas

81 months ago

Isaac in Houston, Texas said: I am about to start my externship here in houston for my ST program. I see the person above me has a 300hr externship. Mine is 640hours total of externship. WHy does it vary so much? I know houston has some of the best trauma centers in the world. Can anyone tell me what they make if they live here in Houston? Also to the man who is in first assisting. I've read alot about that, but want to kno the preresequites for starting education in that field. Thanks for any help!

i'm a ST at a level II traumua hospital in corpus christi with 2yrs exp. i am looking at for employment in major cities in texas because the pay here is well below the state and national average. what do you expect to earn as a new grad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Isaac in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

I dunno, i was hoping to get hired at Ben Taub or something like that starting around 18$ an hour, considering i'm the #1 prospect in my graduating class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

This is a hot topic!!! I just got my raise here last month for being in the FA and I am now at 23/hr. I have been in this profession for almost 10yrs now. I also get 4/hr on call which I am on call every other weekend and 2-4 days during the week.
Issac don't go tooting your horn to much. Being #1 in your class don't mean everything when looking/getting a job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RV in Hopkins, Michigan

81 months ago

Hey my name is rene.
I'm trying to do some research for a new union contract in michigan. Our starting pay is 13-17 dollars. Our top dollar is 22.57 Then after a year a 1.50 raise. The evening diff. 75 cents and night diff. 1.00. weekend is 85 cents. the stand by call rate is 3.50 with a 2 hour min. No instructor pay. we also have mandated pay . Meaning if we have to stay over our shift and it is more then a hour it is double time.
The hospital is a trauma 1 with 19 main or and 6 outpatient ors. weekend rotation of 1 every 6th.
I'm doing this because I feel that we are under paid and a call rate of 3.50 is a joke. My time is worth more then that. We are a lot less then the nurses. We also have only 5 nurses that can scrub. I'm just looking for advise.
RV

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

wow!!! 22k for tuition!!! That is nuts. I went to college in the fall of 98 and graduated in Aug. of 99!! I only had a 5500 dollar tuition bill and my employer paid that off in 2000 and I signed a 2 yr contract so I wouldn't leave to go somewhere else to work!! It took me a yr to get a job b/c there were no positions in the hospital I wanted to work. I didn't wanna leave the area!!
When I went to school the college was getting rid of the program b/c they weren't getting enough students to keep the program so I finished my program with a certificate. I wasn't going to make more money going for 2 yrs so I figured why should I fork out the money to the college. So I had 26 credits my first semester and 22 the second.
I was not in the top of my class but I was in the middle of about 15 students and I got a job just as quick if not quicker than the ones in the top of my class.

RV!! 3.50/hr for call is actually pretty good!! I have heard of 6/hr but that is in big cities. I make 4/hr for the cardiac team and the regular OR is 2/hr. I just found out that my new position cap is 32.75/hr!!! It will be like 10 yrs or so if I understood it right but that is a great rate for having 1 yr of college and now this course. Good luck on ur research and hope things work out!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maury in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

Isaac in Atlanta, Georgia said: Well, i know being #1 doesn't always mean to much. But I've been reading comments from people not being able to get a job or complaining about the high tuition costs. My clinical coordinator already said she wants to put me on an unsupervised clinical location. Usually 1 or 2 students a year get that recommendation. The last girl they did this with who also was on the president's list not only got offered a job within 4 weeks of her clinicals, but they also paid off her 22,000$ tuition.

I was in an unsupervised externship spot. That is a great feeing, but it doesn't amount to squat if you don't get hired at that hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Isaac in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Maury in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: cplank, my tuition was also $22000. I went to a for-profit school, Sanford Brown Inst in Ft. Lauderdale FL, and that is what they did, profited off the students. There was a state-run program, but it has a year waiting list. When my epiphany hit and I wanted to change careers, it did not line up with their start schedule. So $22000 later.... Oh yeah, did I mention I can't get a job?

Maury, out of how many total students go out on supervised extern sites? If its anymore than 2-5% then don't compare that to what i was trying to say. Anyone can and will definitely get hired if they seperate themselves from the group. Im sorry to hear you feel like you're out of 22k, and i did a quick search from AST.org to see if you're school was accredited and it was. While doing this search I also found that the school "sanford brown" as a whole, and not any one individual campus has an alarming amount of official complaints and lawsuits against them. That could very well be a reason for your current misfortune.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maury in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

Isaac in Houston, Texas said: Maury, out of how many total students go out on supervised extern sites? If its anymore than 2-5% then don't compare that to what i was trying to say. Anyone can and will definitely get hired if they seperate themselves from the group. Im sorry to hear you feel like you're out of 22k, and i did a quick search from AST.org to see if you're school was accredited and it was. While doing this search I also found that the school "sanford brown" as a whole, and not any one individual campus has an alarming amount of official complaints and lawsuits against them. That could very well be a reason for your current misfortune.

Hey Isaac, only the best and brightest classroom students were placed at site with no preceptor. There were not hiring at that particular hospital but the nurse manager did call a sister hospital and got me an in. If I didn't relocate, I would probably be scrubbing at that facility in FL. Thanks for your research. I am not surprised at the number of complaints and lawsuits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shelley in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

Hey Maury or Anyone, I'm considering going to Brown Mackie College in Dunwoody, GA for surgical tech. it's $208 per credit hr. Do you know anything about the school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Peoria, Arizona

81 months ago

Your best bet is to get alot of experiance in one speacialty. go private.more money working for a group of surgeons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim Lawrence in Rancho Cordova, California

81 months ago

The salaries vary based on states. For travel techs the wage can be $14-25 depending on the state, Hi pays about $14 per hour- but free private housing comes along with that! Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I have to some what disagree w/ Ben! Where I live it is more money working for the hospital. I do work mainly on the cardiac team so to work in one specialty that will get you more money. Also become a first assistant. Where I work you get $2 more an hour to be a first assistant. Also learn to tie, suture, etc. That will get you more money. I pulled in just over 50K this yr and that is w/ me becoming an FA on the Cardiac team. Also I got the raise near the end of the yr. Not bad for a yr of college and this FA course I am taking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary burns in Owings Mills, Maryland

81 months ago

I've been a surgical tech coming on 4 years now and i work in maryland. I make 21.12. I love doing what i do but isn't it a shame how we make less than an o.r. nurse. The only difference between us is the fact that they have license. With all that we do the standing, knowing what to have up on the field and the mayo, anticapating and remembering all the different cases and the special things that each doctors like. It's alot of work but we are so under payed. I'm really considering going into nursing or some other field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

You would make a great OR RN because you will be able to scrub and cirrulate. You have great things to look forward to and double pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenniferbuzzelli in knoxville, Tennessee

81 months ago

i am going to sandford brown in houston right now. how did you hear about the lawsuits and the complaints?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SMCKINNEY in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

81 months ago

I am in my second semester of my Surg Tech program and maybe looking to relocate to the New Orleans area when I graduate. Does anyone know the pay range out in that area???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Pay range for perm techs $11-14 per hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Maury in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I was in an unsupervised externship spot. That is a great feeing, but it doesn't amount to squat if you don't get hired at that hospital.

I am currently enrolled in a Surgical Tech. school and I will be graduating in July..The hospital I go to school at starts at $17 something an hour but I hear it is one of the lowest paying hospitals in PA. My tuition was only $5,500 for a ten month program. I was wandering what the average rate of pay is in GA. I know the cost of living is much lower there & I'm thinking about moving near Savannah after graduation. Anyone know? By the way, my sister & her husband are ST's in Maryland at Anne Arundal and they make very good money...$22 an hr. after only 2 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

rachel in Gresham, Oregon said: Get on the internet and do some research, as it varies greatly according to location. In the Portland OR area, it's $15-16 hr.

Surgical tech. is a very limeted field, you mainly set up,hand instruments, gather up the instruments after surgery and scrub docs and nurses in. There's a lot of standing around doing nothing in the meantime. Skills that are hardly expandable. Although you can, with experience and further education, go on to first assist, which pays better. You want money and more opportunity, go into nursing, not surg. tech.

I disagree with this statement b/c u have so many options as a Surgical Technologist. You can work in a hospital, a surgery center, an agency, or even a traveling agency. You can also become a sales rep if you want to. You could also work exclusively for one doctor. Nursing is a great field to be in too but ST is not a waste of time. It's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. There are many oppurtunities and the pay is excellent for such a short amount of schooling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

[Quote rachel in Gresham, Oregon said: Get on the internet and do some research, as it varies greatly according to location. In the Portland OR area, it's $15-16 hr. Surgical tech. is a very limeted field, you mainly set up,hand instruments, gather up the instruments after surgery and scrub docs and nurses in. There's a lot of standing around doing nothing in the meantime. Skills that are hardly expandable. Although you can, with experience and further education, go on to first assist, which pays better. You want money and more opportunity, go into nursing, not surg. tech./QUOTE]

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all I have to say!! That is a totally false post!! I am sure if the techs in your hospital saw this post they also would agree along w/ all the other techs on here!!! Techs have just as much opportunity for advancement in their field as nurses!!!! In some surgical cases techs need to know more and do more than nurses. I am not bashing nurses at all, I think it is pretty even when it comes to working hard and continuing education.
I am currently going for my first assistant and I also have had the oppurtunity to harvest saphenous vein for the heart bypass (CABG) cases. To be honest I bet a lot of techs in the US make just as much if not more than the nurses.
So do more research and have a heart before posting on here again!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I'm with u CPlank.. I am not a tech yet, but I am in school and doing 5 days a week of clinical in all specialties. I am doing all the work a tech does, I just don't get paid for it yet. I see the responsibility that the tech's and nurses have and know that tech's are never standing around doing nothing where I am. There is always something to be done. I also agree about the advancement oppurtunities. Some places have clinical ladders where you can meet criteria and then get a raise and added responsibility. Plus going for first assist is something to be proud of and a great oppurtunity as well. I hope eventually I will be able to do that myself. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.