Surgical Tech: Good Career for a young mom?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Mami_Love8110 in Jacksonville, Florida

37 months ago

Quick info about me: Young mom of 3 young kids
- Current Job: 5+ years history, stable, not stressful, a "job" not career
- Bills: Own my own home, car, and various bills most households have
- Personality: VERY quick learner, can adapt in any situation, tough skinned, big planner, analyzer, thinks about things both future and present.

I am thinking about a career as a surgical tech. I love school, but being a full time mom and working full time, I do not want to go to school for 4-6 years just to be able to get my AA (since I would have to go part time). So I started to research jobs that I could go to school for, for less than a year, and at least get my foot in the door. I wouldn't mind going back to school to further my career either, but I feel as though if I go back to school on a long term basis, I should at least have a job in the field I want the career in, so that I gain knowledge and experience as I study.

I would like to go to FSCJ, as they are cheaper than all the schools here that offer Surg. Tech courses. Their program for ST starts in the Fall or every year, so I would be looking at August 2012 as the next program to try and get into. My fear is switching jobs. Going to school and getting training, even a certificate, is not a guaranteed job placement when you are done. Clinicals would take place I believe from January until May 7-4pm, which my current job hours fall around that same window, although slightly varied. I would rather save up enough to pay bills for those months in clinicals and part ways with my job once the ST program switched to clinicals. That's where the fear starts. How good are my chances of getting a ST job out of school? Jacksonville has many many hospitals, and on their job boards online they are constantly posting jobs for all sorts of ST's. Not many have experience required. That doesn't mean they don't require it too.

(see next post for continuation)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mami_Love8110 in Jacksonville, Florida

37 months ago

I have read both good and bad posts about this career. I have done a lot of research and I believe it's a good career for me to go into. At least to begin my quest into something great. I have also read both that a new ST out of school is looked for because they can train the ST how they want, and the opposite, new ST's know nothing because they have no experience.

I need opinions from students, former and current ST's. Do you think it's something that I should consider doing? I am very persistent and would attach the job field without giving up, but with a family, My time is quite limited. I need to have a plan from start to end in order to even think about a switch.

Moving is not really an option for me. I have a mortgage, my family is here etc. Plus if I can't find a ST in Jacksonville, which has more hospitals than I can name, I don't think moving would make it much easier.

I appreciate your time, thanks in advanced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.