Surgical Tech-Good move or not

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 177)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

kindra in Lees Summit, Missouri

66 months ago

our program places people right out of their last class. they don't oversaturate the market, so it works out nicely. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bob in Stony Brook, New York

66 months ago

Although yourd never know it from my posts,Im not trying to sound bleak, but honestly, this job isnt worth spending 23000 dollars for school and then still have to start intern/ externships. If a school is charging one cent more then ten thousand dollars they better be providing all the trimmings. Remember your only going to be making about 12 to 15 dollars an hr. Mcdonalds pays like 9 or 10 and you get free food (even if its only when no ones looking).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The median pay for ST's in Missouri is 16.79 starting out - with a year's experience, average pay is 19.73. And that's not to say you become a First Assist - which hourly pay is about twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kimberly seda in Murrieta, California

66 months ago

thank you, I decided not to take the course.

Richard in Peoria, Arizona

66 months ago

What school did you attend ?

66 months ago

Richard in Peoria, Arizona said: What school did you attend ?

High Tech Institute

66 months ago

LVN which are the same Im told as LPN's Eventually go back to school to get their nursing lisence because as Ive heard so many say they got sick of doing the same thing as an RN and only getting paid about half. Go for the RN or nothing in nursing not a surgical tech (Im a surg tech and you will never make enough money unless your working or on call all the time). Basiclly if it seems like an easy job to get or do in health care it pays like crap. Trust me its true.My hospital hired a houskeeper 100 dollars a year more then they hired me for. and she didnt have any experience. Some nights I laugh till I cry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sonia in Carrollton, Texas

66 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: thank you very much, am pursuing lvn class first.

that's a good move kimberly. unfortunaately you pay alot of money for surg. tech school and dthe jobs may be few and far between. if you're lucky you will be hired on by the one of the hospitals you do your clinicals at, as i was. also, the money is not that great especially if you work in a non union state such as texas. you're better off starting as an lvn and then get training in the or and maybe move on to rn, that's where the money is.

66 months ago

the real pay range is 16 to 23 an hr. Everything elce is a very rare situation. There are just to many of us out here and no regulation or even an attempt at standardazation of pay and responcibilitys. This is why I dont really think this is survive as a profession. Sooner or later it will become the sole job of an RN

66 months ago

ST positions have been around for years. My teacher at the school I attended was an ST - JUST an ST - for 36 years. Never became a nurse...loved her job, and made great money. I think it depends on how your outlook is. If you THINK you'll never make great money, then you won't. If you have the desire to exceed expectations, then you most certainly will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

richard in Peoria, Arizona

66 months ago

I love your attitude Kindra, I know you will make a great ST.

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

66 months ago

Alot of truth in what you say. Things have changed dramatically over the last few months... the good externs were usually offered jobs by their extern hospitals , now they are not. The comments from people hired before maybe 5 months ago mean well but by encouraging people to take this career now might be doing them a disservice . I think the most misleading thing for surgical techs is that there are hundreds of job postings for ST's all over the internet . They assume that if they apply to all of them as a new grad they will get a job. NOT ! between myself and the other 8 grads from my school since october we have submitted over 1000 thats one THOUSAND applications online , we all have great letters of recommendations from our extern doctors , nurses etc. etc. not ONE of us has even got an INTERVIEW from all those postings !!!Let alone a job , try to understand what I am saying - NOT one response even granting an interview !! Unless you are hired by your extern hospital you may as well be applying for president of the united states . Do not attempt to be a ST unless you have a guaranteed job before you enter the program . When you finish your extern and realize that you cannot go to a Human resourse office and hand in a resume anymore ( its all online now...) the reality of the new grad situation will really sink in , after six months of working 50 hours a week trying to find a ST or even remotely related job you will end up like most of us , forgetting your training and getting a job selling furniture - again , before doing this line of study make sure you have a job lined up before you start or do something else .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I decided to get a degree in healthcare administration. I thank you for your comment. Hope things work out for you soon.

66 months ago

Thank you for your comment. A housekeeper huh? Well I decided not to pursue the ST caree, I am currently in school to get my degree in healthcare administration-20 months AA. Have been in the medical field as a secretary for 10 years. Decided to stick with administrative instead of clinical. Thanks

66 months ago

Good move Kim

sw

62 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: It does not matter who you know if you do not have the skills you will NOT get the Job. And of our lass Graduating class only ONE student went to Shands. I know St.Vincents got a few. I will Graduate in April & We HAVE to pass the CST National Exam before we graduate. That means we will be the first, and only program in the area to Graduate certified! We are held to a higher standard, Our Program Director is a CST, CFA, one of out PT instructors is a CST CFA, and our FT Instructor is a CST, RN. We get placed not based on WHO we know, we get placed based on WHAT we know. Our program is challenging & SUPER challenging; However, WELL worth it!!
i know thats right whoever you are that made this comment about OUR instructors i commend you because we are taught by the best to be the best our education may come at a higher price but its well worth it

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Hotel, California

62 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: It does not matter who you know if you do not have the skills you will NOT get the Job. And of our lass Graduating class only ONE student went to Shands. I know St.Vincents got a few. I will Graduate in April & We HAVE to pass the CST National Exam before we graduate. That means we will be the first, and only program in the area to Graduate certified! We are held to a higher standard, Our Program Director is a CST, CFA, one of out PT instructors is a CST CFA, and our FT Instructor is a CST, RN. We get placed not based on WHO we know, we get placed based on WHAT we know. Our program is challenging & SUPER challenging; However, WELL worth it!!

Where is this person now?

62 months ago

Crickets....chirp chirp...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keeri Maynard in San Diego, California

62 months ago

I am considering becoming a surgical tech here in san diego but i am having a hard time finding school for it. Does anyone have an idea??

Florida State Assembly in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Call Concorde in San Diego. Talk to Nial Davis and ask the tough questions. Good Luck

sdwahine in San Diego, California

60 months ago

Has anyone actually gone to Concorde, San Diego? Any reviews?

Justin in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey

60 months ago

This career is a waste of time. Most of the schools are simply money making schemes. They dont teach you crap and then on your extern drop you at some site where you are totally on your own seeing things 90% of which were never even taught in class. Dont waste your time or money.

60 months ago

I think scrub4u is affiliated with promoting ST schools , along with surgerygirl I remember when I was still looking for a job as an ST (I'm not anymore) they were always trying to knock my posts about the folly of people going into the ST field , they speak as if you try hard you will get a job as an ST as a new grad - almost no one is , actually you have a better chance of winning american idol.....
Its ok if you don't believe me , and I'll say right up front...most of the accredited schools DO A GOOD JOB of preparing the students to do the work of an ST..its not their fault people are not getting hired - there are too many jobs, so many that even good ST's with years of experience are not finding jobs -
I am going to repeat what I was saying before in my posts - IF YOU ARE considering going to an ST school before you sign away 16 months of your life , your dreams and get $25k in debt...DO YOUR HOMEWORK and talk to hospitals , HR depts , surgery centers , private surgeons etc. and ask them if they will hire a new grad , if they have hired any new grads and when was the last time they hired a new grad as an ST - they will tell you right up front ... not to pursue this field !!!! If anything they will tell you to become an RN if you want a chance to get a job - NOT an ST , not an ultrasound tech , not a phlembotomist none of the allied positions have openings for new grads - Again, I apologize to you people affiliated with the schools and the AST... but I'm trying to protect the innocent people that have been misinformed about the hiring prospects for the allied health occupations - it has caused grief and misery to countless people over the last year or two - Do your homework - don't believe the schools - ask the employers FIRST before you take the expensive and possibly regretful decision to enroll ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I think scrub4u is affiliated with promoting ST schools , along with surgerygirl I remember when I was still looking for a job as an ST (I'm not anymore) they were always trying to knock my posts about the folly of people going into the ST field , they speak as if you try hard you will get a job as an ST as a new grad - almost no one is , actually you have a better chance of winning american idol.....
Its ok if you don't believe me , and I'll say right up front...most of the accredited schools DO A GOOD JOB of preparing the students to do the work of an ST..its not their fault people are not getting hired - there are no jobs, so many that even good ST's with years of experience are not finding jobs -
I am going to repeat what I was saying before in my posts - IF YOU ARE considering going to an ST school before you sign away 16 months of your life , your dreams and get $25k in debt...DO YOUR HOMEWORK and talk to hospitals , HR depts , surgery centers , private surgeons etc. and ask them if they will hire a new grad , if they have hired any new grads and when was the last time they hired a new grad as an ST - they will tell you right up front ... not to pursue this field !!!! If anything they will tell you to become an RN if you want a chance to get a job - NOT an ST , not an ultrasound tech , not a phlembotomist none of the allied positions have openings for new grads - Again, I apologize to you people affiliated with the schools and the AST... but I'm trying to protect the innocent people that have been misinformed about the hiring prospects for the allied health occupations - it has caused grief and misery to countless people over the last year or two - Do your homework - don't believe the schools - ask the employers FIRST before you take the expensive and possibly regretful decision to enroll ....

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia

60 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College, have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions. I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

dont go for nursing and work in the or.

60 months ago

kindra in Lees Summit, Missouri said: High Tech Institute

i went high tech in atlanta which now is closed. im so mad because i should have did my research. now about to go to school for rn

mia in Downey, California

60 months ago

I want to become CST. Is it a well paying job? Is it worth going to a trade school? I need help?

in the cut in Pomona, California

60 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: dont go for nursing and work in the or.

Really great advice, are you 11teen. WOW! Tandra, that positive thinking is really working for you. Bless your heart.

60 months ago

in the cut in Pomona, California said: Really great advice, are you 11teen. WOW! Tandra, that positive thinking is really working for you. Bless your heart.

excuse me i made a error . And god bless you too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Question:
How hard is the program? I have a 4 year degree in science from about 15 years ago. I have never taken a program that you finish in 16 months. Do you have tests/exams every week, month, or day? etc. start program next week and getting nervous... thanks

ddaniels in Atlantic City, New Jersey

60 months ago

Scrubbing is an exciting concept! the problem is that not one will hire you fresh out of School whether or not you've graduated from a CAHEAp accredited program or not I've been passed over so many times only to find out that some of the individuals hired have not even went to school.... unfourtunatley its shaping up to be who you know and not what you know!

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Can anybody answer my question on how hard is the program? thanks

kindrah in Lees Summit, Missouri

60 months ago

I am just finishing my ST program at High Tech Institute in Kansas City, MO. I have loved every minute of class, I have learned a boatload, and love what I will be doing. I have a wonderful instructor that is very knowledgeable and makes it fun to learn. The class itself isn't hard for me, but it is definitely alot of memorization. Just like anything in the Medical Field, there is alot of terminology to learn. There are alot of instruments, but it's all memorization. Overall, not hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wle3 in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

I have read all the comments here and one common theme seems to be the high cost of ST education. Before you lay out major cash to one of these tech schools, check your local community college. Lots of them have surg. tech programs. That's what I'm doing, and I can tell you it's much, much cheaper than the 25K figure I see people mentioning.

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Thank you, Thank you thank you... finally someone answered my question! IF that is the hardest part I should be ok then.. you just gave me a peace of mind i am doing the right thing! :)

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Wle3 in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania said: I have read all the comments here and one common theme seems to be the high cost of ST education. Before you lay out major cash to one of these tech schools, check your local community college. Lots of them have surg. tech programs. That's what I'm doing, and I can tell you it's much, much cheaper than the 25K figure I see people mentioning.

i agree, an education is not worth spending that kind of money unless you are going to med. school.. Community Colleges are a fraction of the price...

60 months ago

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida said: i agree, an education is not worth spending that kind of money unless you are going to med. school.. Community Colleges are a fraction of the price...

You have just insulted 99% of the people here.

oliivy in Hollywood, Florida

59 months ago

Hello everyone...
I just wanted to say that I went to Concorde Career College to become a surgical technologist. I payed about 22,000 and it was a 13 months program. Anyhow, I graduated on April 29,09. And I still havent found a job. My friend and I have been everywhere applying at every hospital and all they tell us is that we dont have any experience. I was telling my instructor the other day that I made this career change for nothing cause now I'm stuck with a 22,000 dollar loan and I dont have a job to start making payments in October.. Any advice from anyone??? The career services only helps you with your resume but doesnt help you find a job.. At least thats the one in my school...So if theres any advice let me know..

Mayra S in New Jersey

59 months ago

Justin in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey said: This career is a waste of time. Most of the schools are simply money making schemes. They dont teach you crap and then on your extern drop you at some site where you are totally on your own seeing things 90% of which were never even taught in class. Dont waste your time or money.

F**k why didn't I stumble on this then... truth is you are better off dping something else... It's difficult getting employment.

kindrah in Lees Summit, Missouri

59 months ago

A friend of mine just went out on her extern, and said that she knew everything that she did. I mean, she scrubbed alot of cases that she didn't know anything about, but she knew her basics, which let her succeed in advanced cases. She even got to scrub a few trauma cases - and AND first scrub. I'm confident that my school has taught me everything I need to know to succeed. I go out in 2 weeks, and can't wait. And my friend even got a job offer - before she was even finished. It's all in what you make it. If you are serious about finding a job, you can do it. It just takes work. Jobs don't just walk in on you.

59 months ago

I totally agree.. The jobs don't walk in on you.. My friend and I have gone to hospitals this past week applying and all the applications come back thru email saying we were not picked or we didnt meet the requirements.. I think the last thing to do is just completely lie on the resume. Either that or stand in the middle of traffic with a sign on me saying.."GIVE ME A CHANCE PLEASE" and then get on my knees. Maybe I'll make the news or something. I can scrub any case except transplants. I haven't done any of those and as a student we were not allowed to go into those rooms. Anything else I can scrub. I did my clinicals in a level 1 trauma so I was able to do a lot of cases. However with all the cases I've scrubed and put on my resume they still feel like I have no experience. How do I get experience if no one gives me a chance. what do I have to do work for an unlicensed surgeon to get my experience its just simply Bull Sh--. Anyhow, since April I have been on the computer looking for all the openings and applying and I haven't had any luck. My brother told me that its the economy doing bad thats why I cant find a job so we'll see and I'll keep you all posted...

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

59 months ago

It seems as though, you are trying to discourage them. I think a lot of people want to become a Surgical Technologist for the quick money but, it a whole lot more than the money. When a person comes into or work in this field either you know your job or you don't. There is NO faking this is the real deal. I make more than some RN's and with less responsibilities than them. If it's a field that they want to persue oh well let them. They may finish and do really well. There is one thing I do agree with you on is not to pay 25K for surgical tech school. Here in South Carolina its NOT that expensive. I am proud to be a Surgical Technologists and I love EVERYDAY of it. To each is own. Peace

59 months ago

UHH Hello...
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from becoming a surgical tech.. It has been the best move of my life.. I've never said it was not worth it. I'm simply explaining my situation and whats happening to me. I can't find a job. Its the reality here in south florida. I'm not making it up. Nonetheless, there are 20 students that just graduated from the school I attended that are having the same problem. Also, I may not have the experience of someone that has a job for over a year but I know how to scrub. If I didnt I wouldn't have graduated. "This is whats happening to me and doesn't mean it will happen to you". I guess I'm going to write this in fine print everytime I make a comment.......

59 months ago

oliivy in Hollywood, Florida said: UHH Hello...
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from becoming a surgical tech.. It has been the best move of my life.. I've never said it was not worth it. I'm simply explaining my situation and whats happening to me. I can't find a job. Its the reality here in south florida. I'm not making it up. Nonetheless, there are 20 students that just graduated from the school I attended that are having the same problem. Also, I may not have the experience of someone that has a job for over a year but I know how to scrub. If I didnt I wouldn't have graduated. "This is whats happening to me and doesn't mean it will happen to you". I guess I'm going to write this in fine print everytime I make a comment.......

I'm sorry you can't find a job. I graduated 8 years ago and have been working as a surgical tech for 8 years. Mayb you need to try and get a job at an outpatient surgery center. I'll tell you this if you can find a hospital that's a "teaching hospital" where they have medical students and residents who are going to be doctors just go to the hospital operating room and ask the OR and explain to the Charge Nurse that you finished Surg Tech school and you would like to watch a few cases a week or so. Usually, if they see your enthusiasm who knows they may offer you a job. I don't remember if it was you or not that had a friend who went looking for jobs with you. Well, please go alone because sometime they may be willing to hire one and not the other or they may not hire none because they don't want to hurt the other. You may want to call before you go and ask to observe. Wish you luck!!!!

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Rochelle was hired 8 YEARS AGO! LISTEN to her if you want. IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO SOME RANDOM PERSON SAYING SHE WAS HIRED 8 YRS AGO FINE. I'M THROWN OFF HOW SOMEONE FRM 8YRS AGO CAN RELATE TO THE ST SITUATION NOW! ITS 2009! ROCHELLE, GIVE US SOME STATISTICS, ON NEW GRAD HIRES. SINCE YOU'VE BEEN IN THE GAME SO LONG. I THINK YOU ARE A FRAUD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

STATS, GIVE SOME STATS, ANYONE, FOR NEW GRADS. OTHERWISE, THIS TOPIC IS DEAD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Thank you..
I really appreciate the advice.. I will definetly start going alone looking and applying. The reason I went with My friend is that her and I were the only ones that were in the Surgical Tech class together. We became really good friends cause we spent 13 months non stop. Unfortuately, this situation has devastated her more than me cause shes a single mom of three so its hard seeing her struggle. Anyhow, again thanks for the advice and I'm going to see if I can at least find a hospital that will maybe let me volunteer or something and I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.. Thanks!!

59 months ago

I can only tell you guys what my situation is and what I'm seeing at my school here in South Florida. This is not an opinion and this is not to steer anyone from starting the surgical tech program. I graduated on April 29..2009 and I haven't been able to find a job yet. Along with me there are almost 20 students that just recently graduated after me that are having the same problem. However, thats only here in south florida. Any questions? Write to me...

59 months ago

oliivy in Hollywood, Florida said: Thank you..
I really appreciate the advice.. I will definetly start going alone looking and applying. The reason I went with My friend is that her and I were the only ones that were in the Surgical Tech class together. We became really good friends cause we spent 13 months non stop. Unfortuately, this situation has devastated her more than me cause shes a single mom of three so its hard seeing her struggle. Anyhow, again thanks for the advice and I'm going to see if I can at least find a hospital that will maybe let me volunteer or something and I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.. Thanks!!

IF YOU GRADUATED, NO DOUBT KEEP BUSTING YOUR ARSE TO FIND WORK. ITS HARD OUT THERE FOR AN ST THESE DAYS.

59 months ago

Jack the Ripper!! DO YOU KNOW ME? I DON'T THINK SO! The comment was for Oliivy. I AM NOT a fraud and aren't we all random people unless, Jack knows everyone who on Indeed. Well I HAVE BEEN a Surgical Technologist for the past 8 years. I work at a government facility which is a teaching institution. And Jack I'm talking about my OWN experience. I see registered nurses who is so interested in working in an OR volunteer. We have a nurse who comes every Thursday and we are teaching him to scrub. I know if you put your self out there and show a Charge Nurse or maybe a Nurse Manager how enthused you are who knows. A lot of people look at starting out at a hospital but there are Outpatient surgery centers. I'm about to give up my job to travel. I am proficient in ALL specialities in the Operating Room but my main areas are Cardiac, Thoracic, Neurosurgery and Urology. Please dont throw in the towel. Keep studying your instruments and your procedure manual to keep abreast on the various surgeries. I don't know how much hand on or time you have spent in the Operating Room but we have had students come to my hospital and they were about to finish and we got rid of them because they did not know the basic instruments. If you are allowed to observe any surgery. During the surgery make notes, jot down questions and watch how the case is set up and watch how she pass instruments. I wish you lots of luck. Just keeeeeep looking and maybe you need to check out a facility a little outside your area and see whats happening. You would never know if you don't try. God Bless!!!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.