Surgical Tech-Good move or not

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 177)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

59 months ago

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Las Vegas, Nevada said: STATS, GIVE SOME STATS, ANYONE, FOR NEW GRADS. OTHERWISE, THIS TOPIC IS DEAD!

All we can give is advice. No need to have an attitude and be upset with anyone. Why are you so upset and why are you taking your anger on everyone else. In the OR we DON'T have time for the ATTITUDE because we are saving peoples lives. So lose the anger. We can give advice but we can't just walk up to you and give you a job. Are you a Surg Tech or are you looking for employment? I wish that everyone could find a job. Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Started ST Program Want to Drop out in Teaneck, New Jersey

59 months ago

NEW POST (NOT REPLY): I was so excited and honored to be accepted into my local accredited Surg Tech Program. I attended the orientation, and 3 lectures. We return and start labs tomorrow. Suddenly, I feel I cannot do this career. I am shutting down, including not doing 8 Chapters of reading and 2 assignments. I have deep concern regarding employment post certification which apparently is a warranted concern, especially after reading these 3 pages with all your unique input. My professor indicated that at the hospital I will do clinicals, I had better make a 200% good impression, as this is THE foot in the door for future employment. It seems like a BIG GAMBLE for the tremendous amount of time, energy, dedication, and commitment required. I am also finding sudden weakness within myself regarding seeing cut open bodies every day for the duration of the career. I now am dreading it. I originally tricked myself out of this fear but it is bothering me to the point of overcoming me. I have a lot of nightmares. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dixie in Boca Raton, Florida

59 months ago

oliivy in Hollywood, Florida said: I can only tell you guys what my situation is and what I'm seeing at my school here in South Florida. This is not an opinion and this is not to steer anyone from starting the surgical tech program. I graduated on April 29..2009 and I haven't been able to find a job yet. Along with me there are almost 20 students that just recently graduated after me that are having the same problem. However, thats only here in south florida. Any questions? Write to me...

WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU GO TO? WAS IT ACCREDITED? AND DID YOU GET DIPLOMA, CERTIFICATE OR ASSOCIATE

IF YOU GET DIPLOMA WILL GETTING A JOB BE VERY DIFFICULT? AND AT WHAT STARTING SALARY CAN I ASPIRE TO?

APPRECIATE THE INSIGHT THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dixie in Boca Raton, Florida

59 months ago

tandra in Lilburn, Georgia said: dont go for nursing and work in the or.

ARE YOU AIMING FOR ASSOCIATE OR DIPLOMA? WHAT'S THE COST DIFFERENCE?

APPRECIATE INFO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Memorial Hospital Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

58 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: I love Concorde! Here is Jacksonville Florida it is the #1 preferred school among hospitals. Last class had a 100% job placement! You will also be a CST upon graduation as they are now requiring you pass the cert exam to graduate! Tuition also covers AST membership!!

I know all of your instructors and have worked with one on a few cases. I like him and I like that he runs the program like we do in the Navy. The only bad thing I can say about Concorde is that it cost too much! Luckily I went to an accredited Navy School of Health Sciences program. The students are exceptional and pretty much ready to go when they graduate. That's a big plus over other programs here in Jacksonville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Memorial Hospital Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

58 months ago

Oh, and I am not saying it is not worth the money 'cause you can get the training elsewhere but not get the same preparedness.

Mindy in Hacienda Heights, California

58 months ago

I am going back and forth on what course to take. Its between the LVN program and the surgical tech program. I keep hearing ST's are having a hard time finding work when they have no experience. can anyone give me some good advice?? I am so confussed!! Oct,9,09

oliivy in Miami, Florida

58 months ago

Well, my advice for anyone in or thinking about the surgical technology program is... to stick with it. I'm a surgical tech that just graduated this past May and I haven't been able to find a job yet. No one wants to hire me because I have no experience or I just have a few months of clinicals. And its not that I dont go around in my car applying at every hospital in south florida cuz I have. Nonetheless, my father in law is a doctor and he still hasnt been able to get in the hospitals that hes associated with. The problem is this. The way the ecomnomy is they dont want to have to put two people in a room and have to pay them both. They want to hire someone that already knows what they are doing and not have to put a second surgical tech to train someone that just came out of school. However, thats just right now because of they way things are. Hospitals arent getting payed much and loosing a lot of money because more and more people have gotten medical attention and have filed for bankruptcy. But thats just right now. Things will get better and they will start hiring students that have just graduated. Its a great program, stressful but its worth it. Cuz you can always transition and continue with education to become a surgical nurse. Thats my advice and my opinion...Sorry if no one else agrees...

Daisy2 in Riverview, Florida

58 months ago

Love your advice, and people need to do what is in the heart so they also keep a job once they get it.. it is like a circle it will come back around... i am in the program and love it... but it is what i want to do... and jobs will be there be positive everyone..:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

live in SoCal, California

57 months ago

Mindy in Hacienda Heights, California said: I am going back and forth on what course to take. Its between the LVN program and the surgical tech program. I keep hearing ST's are having a hard time finding work when they have no experience. can anyone give me some good advice?? I am so confussed!! Oct,9,09

I am in the exact same position. I need to decide soon as to which route to take. I am hearing that ST's enjoy their job, when they get one. Seems as if LVN's have an easier time finding a job, plus one can continue on to get into an RN program? Decisions, decisions.

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

57 months ago

To make things clear , in most areas - including california- new graduate ST's are not getting jobs , there is a big difference between " its hard to get a job " and they are NOT getting jobs . Over the last year and a half , here in california maybe 5% of the ST grads have found jobs as full time ST's or sterile processing or any even beginner related job- those that have were either very lucky or were working for a hospital/surgery center before starting their studies . No one in our school out of 20 grads found a job in the medical field . These are the best grads I'm talking about , some even had bachelor degrees , work experience and all had extreme motivation .
Its the same with the other schools in the area . There is a HUGE number of out of work ST's with 5 or more years experience that are out of work - they cant even get the jobs advertised as " 6 months experience required".
The schools trained these people to be perfectly qualified entry level ST's - its not the schools fault , there are no openings - unlike RNs . Think of it...a hundred or so STs that are a total of $3 million in debt that will never get hired ...and maybe 5 that have been hired on in some remotely related job making a total of $125,000 per year between all of them . Do you really think it is worth it ? Does your daddy own a hospital or surgery center ? Call the HR depts at the hospitals and surgery centers and ask them about the field ... they will all tell you they do not hire new grad ST's - don't believe us ... call for yourself , don't listen to the school and AST shills that are constantly posting happy talk on this site ... do your own research.

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

Just wanted to comment about the surgical tech program i have a set of twins and was worried about taking the program w/the studying involved... i have to say i love love love the program we have had a lot of tests but it is so worth it.. i can't believe the worries i have had over debating to take this course. Follow your heart!!! is all i can say and the economy will turn around... they are now using the davinci robotic system and with that in every surgery they will have to add another surg tech person.. so hopefully it should open more doors for everyone... just wanted to give people some hope,, everything is so negative on here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I would like to say that everyone in my program was passionate and " followed their heart " when in the ST program , we all worked hard and , except for a couple , were well prepared to do the work of an entry level ST when we completed our program and extern requirements .
The problem is .... there aren't any jobs and none of our class were able to get jobs as ST's . So we all started applying for jobs as sterile processing workers , none of us landed jobs in sterile processing . We applied for GI lab , orderlies and finally all ended up trying to volunteer for any related position . This was after 6 months of full time searching the internet ( putting in 100's of applications online)going door to door to every surgery center and private surgeons office - animal hospitals , dental offices , home care centers , assisted living centers etc. etc.
Having a good attitude is great but it doesn't get you a job . For a year now I have been pleading with prospective ST students to call or visit hospitals , surgery centers and HR departments BEFORE signing on to this and the huge debts they will incur . Why has not one person tried calling and asking the employers if there is any possibility of being hired on as a new grad ST BEFORE committing to this ? Just pick up the phone and ask if they are hiring new grad , if they would hire new grads or if they would advise anyone to take this program . I waited until after I went through the program before talking to the employers - big mistake ....every one said do not do it as there is at least a 5 year glut of EXPERIENCED STs now filling every opening , they are even filling the sterile processing positions !!!! PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL FIRST !!! What is so negative and unreasonable about this advice ??? Do not take all the happy talk on these posts as being fact ... the majority of the posters work for the schools and the AST - think with your head , not your heart !!!! There are only a few isolated places hiring....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: I would like to say that everyone in my program was passionate and " followed their heart " when in the ST program , we all worked hard and , except for a couple , were well prepared to do the work of an entry level ST when we completed our program and extern requirements .
The problem is .... there aren't any jobs and none of our class were able to get jobs as ST's . So we all started applying for jobs as sterile processing workers , none of us landed jobs in sterile processing . We applied for GI lab , orderlies and finally all ended up trying to volunteer for any related position . This was after 6 months of full time searching the internet ( putting in 100's of applications online)going door to door to every surgery center and private surgeons office - animal hospitals , dental offices , home care centers , assisted living centers etc. etc.
Having a good attitude is great but it doesn't get you a job . For a year now I have been pleading with prospective ST students to call or visit hospitals , surgery centers and HR departments BEFORE signing on to this and the huge debts they will incur . Why has not one person tried calling and asking the employers if there is any possibility of being hired on as a new grad ST BEFORE committing to this ? Just pick up the phone and ask if they are hiring new grad , if they would hire new grads or if they would advise anyone to take this program . I waited until after I went through the program before talking to the employers - big mistake ....every one said do not do it as there is at least a 5 year glut of EXPERIENCED STs now filling every opening , they are even filling the sterile processing positions !!!! PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL FIRST !!! What is so negative and unreasonable about this advice ??? Do not take all the happy talk on these posts as being fact ... the majority of the posters work for the schools and the AST - think with your head , not your heart !!!

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

you are right to ask first and do your research on any job and by all means research the school also on how much you are paying for your course and if it out weighs the amount you will be making hourly..... and every state is different on hiring!! i posted my comment to give hope not to get replies... thanks

Belinda Ansley in Terrell, Texas

56 months ago

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina said: I'm sorry you can't find a job. I graduated 8 years ago and have been working as a surgical tech for 8 years. Mayb you need to try and get a job at an outpatient surgery center. I'll tell you this if you can find a hospital that's a "teaching hospital" where they have medical students and residents who are going to be doctors just go to the hospital operating room and ask the OR and explain to the Charge Nurse that you finished Surg Tech school and you would like to watch a few cases a week or so. Usually, if they see your enthusiasm who knows they may offer you a job. I don't remember if it was you or not that had a friend who went looking for jobs with you. Well, please go alone because sometime they may be willing to hire one and not the other or they may not hire none because they don't want to hurt the other. You may want to call before you go and ask to observe. Wish you luck!!!!

Hi I graduated surgical technology school in 89 and I finally landed a job in 1990. I went through some personal problems and quit my job in 92 and worked prn at a day surgery in dallas tx till I got married and became a housewife and now its been 17 years so whats the best advice to getting back into surgery without having to go back through school a second time at age 49?

Blueblood in Spring Hill, Florida

55 months ago

Wow! Got a face full of insight and personal experiences!
I was considering an ST program to round out my USELESS Basic Xray license (Thanks UMA)
I've had a basic xray license for two years now and am still unemployed as NO ONE hires a basic Tech unless they have ARRT Certification.
Apparently some of the same problems exist for entry level ST's.

In all fairness though, while I have the heart and soul of a 25 year old, I'm 56.(Not a bad looking Italian either LOL!!)
Here's MY problem:
1.) Too old
2.) Too male
3.) Entry level, no experience.

The sad thing is ALL the schools scream, "You are entering a HIGH IN DEMAND field!" The sky's the limit, you WILL be hired..! They love maturity!"
Even beloved UMA (Useless Medical Academy) in Tampa, with a 40 person placement staff, couldn't locate a job in my studied profession. How am I to understand that a career in ST or Cardiovascular Tech will be any different?

I hate to think that my only option is to bag groceries and go home to my cat.

LeVale in Kansas City, Missouri

55 months ago

kindra in Lees Summit, Missouri said: I'm getting ready to start ST training on 9/22 - the school I'm going to keeps their class size small - only 8 people MAX, and they have 100% job placement to date. They work with several hospitals around my area, and all students have their externship immediately after their 12 months of classes. From the statistics, all of the techs that have graduated have been hired on through the place they did their externship. I think alot of it has to do with the area you're in.

Great Information, Do you mind me asking which school you attended?

LeVale in Kansas City, Missouri

55 months ago

I am also considering a career as a ST but I dont want to be stuck in a dead end career!!! I do understand life and situations in it are what you make of them, however if there is no market for ST's with no experience, this cant be good. I really appreciate everyones comments and stories, this gives food for thought. And for the person who in NJ who said that they are having nightmares because of the open bodies. Thanks b/c this is something that I have thought about. Because I have not had that kind of experience before and did think to myself how would I handled that day in and day out...thanks to all really good info!
May God Bless you all!!!

bigchange in New Port Richey, Florida

52 months ago

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida said: Just wanted to comment about the surgical tech program i have a set of twins and was worried about taking the program w/the studying involved... i have to say i love love love the program we have had a lot of tests but it is so worth it.. i can't believe the worries i have had over debating to take this course. Follow your heart!!! is all i can say and the economy will turn around... they are now using the davinci robotic system and with that in every surgery they will have to add another surg tech person.. so hopefully it should open more doors for everyone... just wanted to give people some hope,, everything is so negative on here...
I am thinking about changing careers, and live near Tampa too. What school do you attend? How old is too old to go through ST training? I am now a teacher, but that career may be changing with the new House Bill, so I need to prepare. Thanks for your response! Good luck with those twins!

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

bigchange in New Port Richey, Florida said: I am thinking about changing careers, and live near Tampa too. What school do you attend? How old is too old to go through ST training? I am now a teacher, but that career may be changing with the new House Bill, so I need to prepare. Thanks for your response! Good luck with those twins!

i go to erwin tech it is a non-profit organization affilated w/ the local community college here in tampa... it is much cheaper then the profit schools out there and it is highly recommended and accrediated...

we have a lady in here 50's in our class mostly the kids are in the 20's and a couple of us are in their 40's... it is never too late to find out what ya love.. i love it... if you go there i need to tell you a instructor you really need to have.. so email me anytime... good luck and thanks the twins are doing great...:)

chris108 in East Northport, New York

52 months ago

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida said: i go to erwin tech it is a non-profit organization affilated w/ the local community college here in tampa... it is much cheaper then the profit schools out there and it is highly recommended and accrediated...

we have a lady in here 50's in our class mostly the kids are in the 20's and a couple of us are in their 40's... it is never too late to find out what ya love.. i love it... if you go there i need to tell you a instructor you really need to have.. so email me anytime... good luck and thanks the twins are doing great...:)

Daisy, I'm happy to hear how well you're doing! I'm hoping to go to Erwin for either surgical tech or medical lab tech. Is there a wait list for Jan 2011 surg tech? (They did not answer phone yesterday and Mon.)

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

um, i am not sure on the wait... you usually get in so don't be disappointed if there is... we are on spring break so the office is closed until monday..

chris108 in East Northport, New York

52 months ago

Thanks...I just found out that Pinellas Tech has surg tech beginning June 9. Have you heard anything about their program? Only 2 classes have graduated so far.

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

nope, just make sure they are accrediated... CAAHEP i think is it... if not no matter what they say you will be wasting your money, and won't be able to sit for the ast exam.. and most hospitals want you certified...

carol

51 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College, have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions. I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

This is a great career, I never had a problem finding a job and I have been doing this for 29 years. You will always have job security, and now that there are traveling jobs for us techs. that is the way to go.

kalilove12@yahoo.com in Ontario, California

38 months ago

cass in Lomita, California said: First off, YES, you are going to encounter some doctors that are going to kick and scream (sometimes literally) at the fact that you are a student. You have to be tough and let things just roll off of you, and chalk it all up to experience. In this career you learn from these doctors who are willing to be somewhat stern with you.
Im in California, and here the OR team is comprised of an RN, the Tech, the anesthesiologist and the doctor (sometimes more than one doctor, or a PA). Surgery centers and hospitals hire nurses to "circulate" they are the non sterile members of the team that get us things we need, and to do the paperwork, and the pill/ drug pushing. Surgery centers need us! That too nurses are WAY to expensive, places wont hire them to do our job.
As far as jobs after graduation go....BE SURE YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS JOB PLACEMENT. If they do, they can be your personal headhunters and bring the jobs to you. The school I went to, I can call tomorrow and ask for a listing of jobs, and Ill have an entire pack mailed to me in a matter of days (and i graduated over 1 year ago). Another thing is be the best you can at your "CLINICALS" if they like you and see potential in you, you may get hired on full time.

Hi im looking into surgical tech program can u tell me wat school u went to??

thuy in Pflugerville, Texas

37 months ago

I read all these postings how people are considering not going to tech school and pursuing the nursing degree because of job placement. the only problem with that is that since the economy is so bad, even graduate nurses are having a difficult time getting a job (as long as waiting 2 years). I've talked to nurses in my city and some say it's bad pay now, they overwork you (because they don't want to hire anymore people and push more workload on the nurses)...basically the same thing that some people are saying about CST.

I have applied to the Nursing program but won't get in until another year, so I decided within that year I will get my CST certificate and hope to land a job before I get into the Nursing program. But if not, and from the looks of things I probably won't, but it would look good on my application that I have a CST certificate and also would look good whenever I try to find a job as a Nurse that I also have a CST certificate.

I feel like either which way you pursue your career, in the medical field, real estate, business..etc. It will be hard to land a job, because everyone is hurting financial right now. Good luck and hopefully one of you here are able to land a terrific job and post on here if they are hiring new grads!

CSTNewbie in La Quinta, California

37 months ago

The CST program is not just a quick easy certificate. Im in my 2nd month and it is ALOT of tests and memorization. If I put forth all this work and money and don't find a job... I'm gonna burn down the freakin school. No joke either, i was about suicidal when I lost my current job and house and then I found this exciting program, it about saved my life. I'm on unemployment and having a hard time finding a regular job, especially around my school schedule. If I owe $28,000 and I'm on unemployment, it might push me over the edge and I'll take the school with before I go. Very good school but the constant emphasis on high demand and job security is what really got me to enroll. That and I'm totally fascinated with science and surgery. I hope this decision doesn't cost me my very life.

Dg0672 in Ventnor City, New Jersey

36 months ago

I been reading all the reviews and it is soo confusing. I been at my work for 21 years. I have BA in Psychology but never found any job. I been thinking to do ST course. Now I'm even more confuse.

Leo in Spring Hill, Florida

36 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College, have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions. I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

Apparently no cares if you can even slit the atom!!
They are seeking AT LEAST ONE'S EXPERIENCE and don't think your age doesn't play a hand. It's illegal but it's done.

pinkyblk_38@hotmail.com in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

Leo in Spring Hill, Florida said: Apparently no cares if you can even slit the atom!!
They are seeking AT LEAST ONE'S EXPERIENCE and don't think your age doesn't play a hand. It's illegal but it's done.

I graduated the surgical tech program at 37, so age is not an issue. I became certified shortly after graduating and 8 months later I still haven't found a job here in TX. It's really hard to become a tech without any experience other than clinicals. You have to make yourself known while doing your clinicals, but that still may not help. It's a big gamble.

allisonmodelone in Rhinebeck, New York

36 months ago

Hopefully I can help answer questions for some of you that are interested in becoming a Surg tech. I have 4 years under my belt.
I got certified as soon as I graduated from an accredited program. I paid 7 grand for the course plus interest from the bank...
Unless you become a travel tech, the most you can make is the mid 20's. Who the hell wnats to move around the country every 3 months living in a lonel apartment with no friends or family? So scratch that idea if you like friends and family. I live just outside NYC so I know we must be at the higher-end of the pay scale. I don't think it's enough money for what you deal with as far as the risk of infectious disease, surgeon abuse, nurse drama and the skill it takes to be a tech. Even if you're good at your job, they are stll abusive. It's bad enough that it would warrant physical confrontation in the real world. They are really tough "hiding behind" the workplace. Stay away from hospitals! They don't pay well because of the over-head. Plus you'll work your ass off for little money. Ambulatory surgery pays best and there's no call. The only thing that's better about the hospital setting is, I believe there's better care for the patients and the health benefits tend to be better for their employees.
Am-surg pays better/no call great hours but lame benefits... Privately owned practices tend to offer lame benefit packages because the Doc's are in it for themselves and that's all. Not good for the patient or employee. I found work before I graduated. My school offered job placement but I didn't use it. I found work on my own. If you hussle you'll find work. People will be willing to train you especially if you're certified. They will invest in you... If I had known, I would have never become a Surg Tech. The pay scale is limited, high risk in infection, abusive Docs etc... Look into Ultrasound Tech school. The pay is almost double what a Surg Tech makes and its course is only a year long.

Laura in Saint Augustine, Florida

35 months ago

I am thinking about attending the Surgical Tech program at Concorde(which is CAAHEP accredited)in Jacksonville,Fl. Anybody have any info.? I don't want to waste time or money if it's not worth it.

Michelle in Live Oak, Florida

35 months ago

K in Jacksonville, Florida said: I work in Jax and YES concord does get 100% job placement only because they have the director of OR techs working at shands who I heard is best friends with one of the instructors of Concord. Call it a conflict of interest if you will!!

I have to disagree with this statement, Being once a Shands Cert. Surgical Tech employee, most students get their jobs due to their performance while in clinical's , if you are a hard worker and pay attention and are willing to learn, we as Seasoned Techs go to bat for you. If you are lazy and want a free ride then we all say NO . This field is highly demanding of your time and will give you the greatest feeling of satisfaction. I have been blessed to have found my calling and LOVE what I do. I also have been a CST for 18 years so I know from what I speak, I have been appling for jobs and I have had to turn some down so trust me it is about your abilities NOT IN WHO YOU KNOW.

Michelle in Live Oak, Florida

35 months ago

Derrick in Redondo Beach, California said: I agree. I was in the break room at the school I'm attending, and the LVN's didn't realize us ST's study a lot of the same things they do. I guess they think were beneath them, knowledge wise.

The feeling I get is they (LVN's) think their better than everyone else taking other courses. I decided on ST because I didn't want to be a pill pusher and cleaner-upper/patient sitter.

There jobs out there, you must be willing to do other things that relate to ST. For example, Instrument sterilization, just to get your foot in the door.

Just to let you know , we are on the same Level as an LPN/LVN . Our profession is HIGHLY overlooked as a professional, but the self gratification is PRICELESS, If you give this career 100% you will get it back 10 fold. I LOVE WHAT I do and wouldn't change it for the world , yes you have call with odd hours but you are not alone you have the whole team with you and you each play a very important role . HELLO it's about PT care, lets remember that :), also yes the DR.'s have certian attitudes and get pissy if you mess up but I would expect nothing less , you will NEVER see one get upset with someone that is doing there job and paying attention . ( been doing this 18 years )

Brenda in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

kimberly seda in Murrieta, California said: Thank you for your comment. A housekeeper huh? Well I decided not to pursue the ST caree, I am currently in school to get my degree in healthcare administration-20 months AA. Have been in the medical field as a secretary for 10 years. Decided to stick with administrative instead of clinical. Thanks

Hi Kim, good luck with your career change. I went to school and graduated over a year ago with an AA in Healthcare Administration and am now looking into other fields. I was pursuing U/S but found no schools near me, then thinking about rad tech but its too full time and I have 4 kids, now thinking about surg tech and Im hearing alot of negative. While Im glad I have an AA it really doesnt give you enough knowledge to start a new career.

Brenda in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

Has anyone gone to Everest for surgical Tech?? If so, how was the experience and do they offer job placement? Also can anyone tell me exactly what being a surg tech entails? Thank You

unhappyscrubstudent in Tarpon Springs, Florida

33 months ago

Well I am in my 1st rotation of clinicals in the St. Pete area and so far I hate it!! The people are horrible and mean, I am in my 4th week and figured it would get better, but its not. They are rude and not helpful. The surgieons seem nice but the ciculators and the other surgical techs are down right nasty! Im hoping my next hospital I will have a different experience. I hope this is not an indication of what I have to look forward to.

I love scrubbing, but I am to nice and my personality will not allow me to stoop to thier level of immaturity and meaness! :(

nyc_chic in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

oliivy in Hollywood, Florida said: UHH Hello...
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from becoming a surgical tech.. It has been the best move of my life.. I've never said it was not worth it. I'm simply explaining my situation and whats happening to me. I can't find a job. Its the reality here in south florida. I'm not making it up. Nonetheless, there are 20 students that just graduated from the school I attended that are having the same problem. Also, I may not have the experience of someone that has a job for over a year but I know how to scrub. If I didnt I wouldn't have graduated. "This is whats happening to me and doesn't mean it will happen to you". I guess I'm going to write this in fine print everytime I make a comment.......

Hey!!! I was wondering if you've found a job yet? I'm in the ST program at Long Island University and will be going to the clinicals soon. Have you considered relocating??? I am so worried, that at the end of this I won't find a job. I'm willing to relocate to any of the 50 states if that means I have a job.

nyc_chic in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

CSTNewbie in La Quinta, California said: The CST program is not just a quick easy certificate. Im in my 2nd month and it is ALOT of tests and memorization. If I put forth all this work and money and don't find a job... I'm gonna burn down the freakin school. No joke either, i was about suicidal when I lost my current job and house and then I found this exciting program, it about saved my life. I'm on unemployment and having a hard time finding a regular job, especially around my school schedule. If I owe $28,000 and I'm on unemployment, it might push me over the edge and I'll take the school with before I go. Very good school but the constant emphasis on high demand and job security is what really got me to enroll. That and I'm totally fascinated with science and surgery. I hope this decision doesn't cost me my very life.

Hi! Please don't give up looking for a job after you graduate. Why don't you start volunteering in the sterile processing department, just to give yourself a headstart. Many of those that dont find a job right away as STs, get hired in the sterile processing dep't, which would atleast get you a step closer to your goal. All the best to you! Dont give up man!

litzy23 in Land O Lakes, Florida

30 months ago

unhappyscrubstudent in Tarpon Springs, Florida said: Well I am in my 1st rotation of clinicals in the St. Pete area and so far I hate it!! The people are horrible and mean, I am in my 4th week and figured it would get better, but its not. They are rude and not helpful. The surgieons seem nice but the ciculators and the other surgical techs are down right nasty! Im hoping my next hospital I will have a different experience. I hope this is not an indication of what I have to look forward to.

I love scrubbing, but I am to nice and my personality will not allow me to stoop to thier level of immaturity and meaness! :(

just curious what school are you attending and how is the curriculum is it hard??

litzy23 in Land O Lakes, Florida

30 months ago

Hello, I'm interested in surgical tech program in Palm Harbor? can anyone tell me how is the the curriculum is it hard??

Prospective Student in Island Park, New York

29 months ago

nyc_chic in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey!!! I was wondering if you've found a job yet? I'm in the ST program at Long Island University and will be going to the clinicals soon. Have you considered relocating??? I am so worried, that at the end of this I won't find a job. I'm willing to relocate to any of the 50 states if that means I have a job.

Hi NYC chic, I am going to attend the open house @ LIU ST program. How did you like the program? Please tell me about the clinical externship, how many cases do you do? what hospitals, etc. thank you in advance for your response!

29 months ago

Why is it so hard to find a job in the ST field? I have read so many negative comments about finding work. I am prospecting schools to go into this line of work. Although, I can't help feeling a bit negative because of the comments, but it can't be that impossible to find work. True, it is a sucky economy, but there must be jobs for new grads. I hope that in 12 or 15 months from now, when I graduate from my chosen school, I will find some place that will give me a chance! I wish the best for all!

29 months ago

I don't want to burst your bubble but it would be doing you a disservice if I didn't at least tell you what may happen....I graduated ST school in late 2008 . I was basically at the top of my class of 12 graduates - as far as the class work and clinicals were concerned . The school took 15 months and cost almost $28k , much of which were handled by student loans .
I had rave reviews from both my teachers and extern doctors I went through 3 of the best resumes money could buy - which included written glowing assessments of my work. By the way , I also have a 4 year degree in Finance and one in chemistry .
After graduating I spent 11 months full time trying to get a job in the field . My job search included sending out almost 200 online resumes to all the "job opening sites for ST's , hospital and clinic job postings etc.). They do not respond if you don't have at least several years of paid experience and are currently employed in the field - these were jobs posted for ENTRY LEVEL ST's - SPD's, and even basic assistant positions.
I offered every clinic and hospital my services - day or night- to assist for FREE - to gain experience - they will not accept such offers.
I eventually went door to door to clinics , private physicians and even Dental clinics - lastly.....animal hospitals...
In those 11 months I worked a total of 7 days part time , assisting lipo suction surgeries at private clinics .... for about $50 per procedeure .
None of my other co-graduates worked more than I did .
Realize that almost all of the positive posters on these sites are shills that work for the ST trade schools - their comments are misleading and half truths....but they are worried about their own jobs so I can understand why they are misleading the prospective students .
Talk to the hospital recruiters before you sign on... find out the truth about the prospects of being hired as a new graduate ST - they will tell you not to do it. Emphatically !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Mind you a lot of these post are from 2008 and 2009. It is 2012. Where are these people that complained then ... where are they now... did they find a job yet??? One woman couldn't find a job from 2008.. what are u doing now?

29 months ago

Yes , of course it was accredited. And I was certified as well . I must point out - to be fair.... there are graduates in some parts of the country that do find jobs . But they tend to be in places where no one really wants to live ( or should I say relocate to )
While its easy to say and think you can just relocate it does not work out that way . First they will not hire you unless you show up in person and apply - would you travel across the country at great expense to compete for an opening with 20 other people - with no experience ? You can burn through a small fortune going that route . I know people that tried and had no luck , even though they were excellent ST's....
Please , do your research before enrolling by calling the hospitals and clinics in your area and ask if they have hired any ST new graduates recently - be sure to ask this - its a small easy step to take before squandering years of your life preparing and $25k +++.
In most urban areas your only chance of getting hired is if your extern site gets an opening at the same instant you finish your clinicals and they love you....but realistically its probably a 1% chance
Also, don't believe for a minute that the employers could care less which school you went to or even if your certified - the key would be how well you know your stuff and how much you can get them to like you personally .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leonard in Spring Hill, Florida

29 months ago

I'm 59 now and no one even entertains the thought of hiring their grand dad, quite a difference from what school recruiters tell you.
I am currently employed in a dollar store after 4 years of unemployment. What a waste of money and talent.
That's where I've come from 2008 to 2012.

...and for what it's worth, a number of my fellow employees are young ladies who can not find work in the medical arena because they do not have at least one year's experience in their respective fields.
A sad commentary indeed.

Netania Hernandez in Springfield, Massachusetts

28 months ago

Im really afraid now, i really am interested in becoming a surgical tech. i just applied into a community college im scared im not gonna be able to get a job after i graduate and become certifed. my town isnt all that big i see a couple job postings now only like 4 or five hopefully once i am certified they will be more but also they wanted 1-2 years of expirience. what should i do?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.