Surgical Tech-Good move or not

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 177 of 177)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

29 months ago

Netania Hernandez in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Im really afraid now, i really am interested in becoming a surgical tech. i just applied into a community college im scared im not gonna be able to get a job after i graduate and become certifed. my town isnt all that big i see a couple job postings now only like 4 or five hopefully once i am certified they will be more but also they wanted 1-2 years of expirience. what should i do?

Netania;
What should you do ? You should thank God that you signed up for a community college instead enrolling at a private trade school where you would have been $30k in debt for your schooling !
You did the right thing by going to a community college , even though you most likely won't get a job as a surgical tech - you will still be getting an education and learning a lot . The vast majority of the surgical tech graduates over the last 4 years become home health workers , basically watching over the old in their last years , the pay is usually around $11 hr , but no benefits.
When you do your externship at the end of your studies at a hospital do your best because the only surgical tech new grads that get hired are hired on at their extern sites .
Good luck ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sylvia in Mcallen, Texas

29 months ago

Oh God, reading all these post I can't help but get discouraged about pursuing this career, I just too enrolled at a community college that offers the program, they accept 20 students per class and after finishing the program the students would have done a total of about 125 cases, Core Cases include General Surgery,Gynecology-Obstetrics, Otorhinolaryngologic, Genitourinary, Orthopedic. The Surgical specialties areOphthalmic, Oral and maxillofacial,Cardiothoracic,Peripheral vascular, Neurosurgical. I decided to do so because I'm a freshmen currently enrolled at a University aiming for the RN program. Thing is there is a lot of competition and from thousands of students out of 300 applicants each year only about 120 enter the program. It is very tough, i met with my adviser the other day, and she told me that i'd to get straight A's in order to be considered for the program. I decided to look for a plan B, and ST caught my eye, together with Medical assistant, I'm really interested in becoming a ST, however, like many of yall have said, I'm doing some research to see how much demand there is down here and I can't really find anything, i mostly see demands for LVNs and RNs, it would be useless then if i give up on what i already started on and go down to something that will leave me in debt and with no job :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

It's getting harder and harder I know..RN is the way to go - if you can get in. 10 years ago the top 50% of the students could get in the RN program...without waiting. But back then an RN made $60K per year , now most of them make $130k plus unheard of benefits .. I have a friend that became a head nurse - she made $170k last year . Problem is , now only the top 5% of the students trying to get in the
RN program will become RN's . Its the same with cops and fire men as well , they used to be mid level jobs now they make well into the six figures with benefits that everyone else would be envious of ....now only the best and brightest can get those jobs .
Anyway the ST market is awful for new grads and even for ST's that quit and try to get another position are out of luck .....unless you're really cute and sleep with the HR dept manager......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Prospective Student in Island Park, New York

29 months ago

Ya know, Ovstampo, you are the most negative person I see on these forums. You must have a vendetta against the ST field and anyone trying to get in or interested. I have read a lot of your posts. Apparently you have much time to write many negative posts through the years. Same stuff in all of them, doom and gloom. If I lived in your world, I would be downing Draino to end it, because there is no hope for anyone.

No doubt, it is a horrible economy and jobs are scarce in EVERY field. But I looked on Craigslist last week and saw an ad for surgical tech and they said they would consider someone out of school. So, there is hope! I think that if someone is persistant enough, they will find a job in no matter what field they want to go in. Tough of course, but the strong survive. You gave up, ok, sorry to see that you could not find a job. Perhaps your interview skills sucked, you may not be telling your whole story and we don't care to hear it. If you had such a bad time finding a job, post once or twice about it and let it go! Move on... Don't keep posting about Surgical tech for the last few years. So, keep an collecting stamps and don't "stamp" on other people's dreams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Just giving the other perspective thats all - someone has to counter the posts by the trade school shills . And yes there are ST jobs out there I just don't know any graduates that were able to land one in this area . You want to know how many ST jobs on Craigslist we applied to ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cleo in Clearwater, Florida

29 months ago

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida said: i agree, an education is not worth spending that kind of money unless you are going to med. school.. Community Colleges are a fraction of the price...

Hi, I am meeting with a counselor at Concorde in Tampa this Friday to inquire about the cost of the ST program. Do you think I should attend a community college instead? Did you start the program yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

miel in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

Cleo in Clearwater, Florida said: Hi, I am meeting with a counselor at Concorde in Tampa this Friday to inquire about the cost of the ST program. Do you think I should attend a community college instead? Did you start the program yet?

I went to this school and had a tour of the campus and everything. It seemed really good. but the cost of the program is $23,000. it includes everything but its still more expensive then going to college. im going to call the hospitals in my area and see whether they are hiring and what they look for in a surgical tech. i suggest you do the same.

Cleo in Clearwater, Florida

29 months ago

Thanks for the advice. Yes 23,000 is a lot of money. I heard that Erwin tech is only 5,000 i know they are full for this Nov class. I may just get into medical billing then go to Erwin when I finish. Thanks for the advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

miel in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

well be carful with erwin tech. that is where i wanted to go but they are not accredited. go to this website it will tell you all about accredidation, www.caahep.org/

miel in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

Cleo in Clearwater, Florida said: Thanks for the advice. Yes 23,000 is a lot of money. I heard that Erwin tech is only 5,000 i know they are full for this Nov class. I may just get into medical billing then go to Erwin when I finish. Thanks for the advice

hey i actually just found out that they are accredited but by a different organization that i did not know about until now. So i am most likely going there now if the campus tour checks out ok. check out this website:www.abhes.org/
let me know if you need any help.

kurt w in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Las Vegas, Nevada said: STATS, GIVE SOME STATS, ANYONE, FOR NEW GRADS. OTHERWISE, THIS TOPIC IS DEAD!

wow i can see why no one has hired you....

girlscanchase2 in Denton, Texas

28 months ago

Does anyone have any info about the El Centro surg tech program in Dallas? Just curious how many openings yearly, the GPA cutoff into the program. Not worried so much about job market....DFW area allows me to comb 2 metropolitan counties for a job....Dallas is hospital central. Just worried about the stringent requirements to even get into the program. Has anyone here attended El Centro?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn13 in North Hollywood, California

28 months ago

cass in Lomita, California said: Wow-
Im really disappointed in the people on this site totaly bashing this career! Just like any job it has its downfalls, but honey, Nursing isnt that much better. I work with nurses all the time, and have even worked with other Techs that WERE nurses (wich they gave up nursing because they got "burnt out").
Our job is a highly overlooked occupation. People think we are nurses. Those of you who say you can't find a job...honestly have you even looked?? We thankfully work in a profession where its always in demand. Giving it up and going to LVN school is like shooting yourself in the foot...NO ONE HIRES LVN's anymore....its either fully qualified RN's or us...ST's.
Surgical technology is a great career and very rewarding if you find your nitche. Good luck to all of you going through school, get as much out of it as possible. Dont let people on this site change your mind.

Hello my name is Jennifer I really want to become a ST but I keep reading all these people comments. I feel concerned this is my career and life we are talking about and want to be sure it's a good move for me. I've always wanted a good career and I want to be 100% sure . What school did u attend for surgical tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ScrubTechLA in Studio City, California

28 months ago

Hello to everyone.
I have been ST for last 5 years and love what I am doing. Yes it is very hard to find job, any job as you all know. You should really love your profession , ST is not for everyone. I am working in 2 different hospitals in LA area, and I can say that there is only few of us who loves what we are doing.
Be active, don't give up, volunteer if needed, ask many questions on your rotation, that will help you get into career.
Good luck to all of you.

Stephen in Roanoke, Virginia

28 months ago

For anyone living in Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Indiana... it's worth researching National College's Surgical Technology program. National is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, they have day and evening courses, small class sizes, modern medical labs for simulating real work experiences, job placement assistance, etc. Just Google search "National College Surgical Technology".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cando in Saint Petersburg, Florida

26 months ago

Cleo in Clearwater, Florida said: Thanks for the advice. Yes 23,000 is a lot of money. I heard that Erwin tech is only 5,000 i know they are full for this Nov class. I may just get into medical billing then go to Erwin when I finish. Thanks for the advice

Do not go to Erwin-they only do clinicals for a month and the school isn't accrediated.

Blueblood in Spring Hill, Florida

26 months ago

Joanzie in Hesperia, California

25 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College , have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions . I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

I went back to school at Concorde at the age of 49. Concorde does a good job of preparing you for this job. I was very lucky and obtained a position right out of school, but it can be difficult. My advice is to shine during your clinical rotation.

As for your age; obviously I can relate. I do find the job to be somewhat physically demanding, but it is not too much for me, and I'm 52 now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

DaMoore in Staten Island, New York

25 months ago

Joanzie in Hesperia, California said: I went back to school at Concorde at the age of 49. Concorde does a good job of preparing you for this job. I was very lucky and obtained a position right out of school, but it can be difficult. My advice is to shine during your clinical rotation.

As for your age; obviously I can relate. I do find the job to be somewhat physically demanding, but it is not too much for me, and I'm 52 now.

Thanks for the uplifting insight, I need to make a move soon my at age will be 46 when I finish ST school.

Jessica_st in riverside, California

23 months ago

Okay so I am a 2009 graduate at Acc as a medical assistant. I had a great experience until I couldnt find a job. I think its because a lot of people at going for ma. So I decided to go back and pursue surgical technology. I am starting the end of October and I am wondering if anyone is attending that class. Its the Ontario campus that start s October 29,2012. Let me know

Star Career Academy Rep. in Melville, New York

20 months ago

If you’re detail-oriented, good at managing stress, and have stamina, the career of a Surgical Technician may be perfect for you! These healthcare professionals prepare operating rooms and patients for surgery, and help surgeons during surgery by supervising the placement, care and use of instruments. Another benefit of this career is that, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of surgical technologists is expected to increase 19 percent from 2010 to 2020, as a result of the large number of aging baby boomers.

One thing to keep in mind is that job prospects are best for those who have completed an <a href="http:// www.starcareeracademy.com/accreditation.php">accredited education program</a>. Reputable career schools such as <a href="www.starcareeracademy.com/index.php ">Star Career Academy</a> offer surgical technology programs to train students for this rewarding profession. With training programs in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania, it’s likely that you will find a Star Career Academy campus conveniently located near you! So don’t put off furthering your education any longer, and pursue your dreams of working in this rewarding medical field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ThatGirl07 in Apopka, Florida

19 months ago

I'm shocked no one living in central Florida had mentioned Orlando Tech's ST program. It's under 4K for tuition and it's certified by the CAAHEP and the NBSTSA. They have their students doing clinicals for 9 months on tues-thurs/6:30-3:00pm. So obviously you will get plenty of experience to put on your resumes.

I'm going next thursday for orientation to try and apply to the program. It starts this summer in June rather than August. You need to pass the Tabe test, get a background check, meet the instructor and complete a health package. Program is 1330 hours/Mon-Fri at 8:00-2:30pm.

I know there's a lot of negativity about ST employment (for good reason if you spend 23K and no Job) but things can change. Those comments were posted at a time when the recession was at it's worst. Believe it or not even nursing grads had trouble finding work and still do. Remember that the Health care law will click in soon. More patients--> More surgeries to be preformed--> More surgical techs needed. Opportunities are coming.

Good luck everyone! I will bookmark this page and promise to report back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ArizonaBoy in Uruguay

13 months ago

I think it's a good move, based on income, the salary of surgical tech is around $50k per year, quite good. btw here's the salary source www.surgicaltechsalarydata.com

Rascalflattsgirl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

9 months ago

cass in Lomita, California said: Wow-
Im really disappointed in the people on this site totaly bashing this career! Just like any job it has its downfalls, but honey, Nursing isnt that much better. I work with nurses all the time, and have even worked with other Techs that WERE nurses (wich they gave up nursing because they got "burnt out").
Our job is a highly overlooked occupation. People think we are nurses. Those of you who say you can't find a job...honestly have you even looked?? We thankfully work in a profession where its always in demand. Giving it up and going to LVN school is like shooting yourself in the foot...NO ONE HIRES LVN's anymore....its either fully qualified RN's or us...ST's.
Surgical technology is a great career and very rewarding if you find your nitche. Good luck to all of you going through school, get as much out of it as possible. Dont let people on this site change your mind.

I am so happy that I read your comment! Reading the others made me a bit discouraged. My cousin is in the field and she is making very good money and loves it. I was planning on doing a transcriptionist course but since I attended school for six months in surgical tech, I thought it would probably be easier just to go back and finish.. So thank you very much for the encouraging post.

Rosie

7 months ago

Hi. I just register to the Orlando Tech CT program. How did it go for you? Any advise? Whih books will we use? Are the test hard? Hows the instructor?

Thanks and good luck :-)

QUOTE who="ThatGirl07 in Apopka, Florida"]I'm shocked no one living in central Florida had mentioned Orlando Tech's ST program. It's under 4K for tuition and it's certified by the CAAHEP and the NBSTSA. They have their students doing clinicals for 9 months on tues-thurs/6:30-3:00pm. So obviously you will get plenty of experience to put on your resumes.

I'm going next thursday for orientation to try and apply to the program. It starts this summer in June rather than August. You need to pass the Tabe test, get a background check, meet the instructor and complete a health package. Program is 1330 hours/Mon-Fri at 8:00-2:30pm.

I know there's a lot of negativity about ST employment (for good reason if you spend 23K and no Job) but things can change. Those comments were posted at a time when the recession was at it's worst. Believe it or not even nursing grads had trouble finding work and still do. Remember that the Health care law will click in soon. More patients--> More surgeries to be preformed--> More surgical techs needed. Opportunities are coming.

Good luck everyone! I will bookmark this page and promise to report back.

Jennifer in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

Hello everyone,

I hope that everyone has found a resolution to their issue and have found a suitable program! If so, I have a position below: Email me at jmoore at montestaffing.com if you are intrested.

dmw in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

4 months ago

Does anyone have any information on instrument sterilization technology programs. I've read that it only takes a 3 to 6 month program, but I can't find any schools that offer the training. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.