Surgical Tech Interview Prep....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 205)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina

70 months ago

Evelyn,
I would like to stay in the area or in Winston because that's where I'm from or possibly move to Charlotte. However, I will accept a position wherever I am offered one. Then work there for a year, get that experience under my belt and start looking for other opportunities. I've been told that if you're perform well in your clinicals, you may get an offer at the hospital before you even finish, does that sound feasible? And I am single, no kids. Thanks.

Justin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina

70 months ago

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina said: Evelyn,
I would like to stay in the area or in Winston because that's where I'm from or possibly move to Charlotte. However, I will accept a position wherever I am offered one. Then work there for a year, get that experience under my belt and start looking for other opportunities. I've been told that if you're perform well in your clinicals, you may get an offer at the hospital before you even finish, does that sound feasible? And I am single, no kids. Thanks.

Justin

if i were you i would get my certification first and work where i could find a job and get as many specialities under my belt. i would definitely try to learn ortho and hearts, because if you decide to travel you could go anywhere you choose. it is feasible but, it may take some time.

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

70 months ago

Justin;
Sounds great where you are - best of luck . Here in California all the schools said there were opportunities but in the last 18 months none of the graduates ( about 20 or so ) from my school , and just about all the people from the other so. cal. schools were not able to find any jobs in the medical field , not ST , not sterile processing , we couldn't even get volunteer work just to keep sharp - most of us are certified and some even have bachelors degrees . Just about all of us gave up trying after about 6 -8 months (we could not afford to search for jobs full time anymore....as we were buried in debt)
I guess its best to know that the area that you are in has a lot of openings before you graduate - I remember when we were worried about how much pay we would get when we got jobs.... we never considered the possibility that we would be unable to find work no matter how hard we tried or how prepared we were .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Shelly,

It sounds like your area is saturated with schools. My school is the only school withing 2 or 3 counties that offers the program and it averages around 20 graduates a year. I've noticed that a lot of the negative feedback on this forum comes from the mid west or west coast...hopefully things start to look up for you guys. I'm sure you have already heard of the AST website but just in case you haven't, check it out, it's much more active than this one. www.ast.org/

70 months ago

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina said: sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. i started at the bottom of the pay. i went to GTCC and no, i'm not certified yet. i like it some days better than others but, that's with any job :-). feel free to ask any other questions.

Okay, Thank you so much

70 months ago

Don't put too much trust in the overly positive comments on this site as most of the posters that have a lot of encouragement for the students , prospective students and new grads are people that often work for the schools and people affiliated with the schools or the AST . Do your homework , if you want to know about job prospects call the HR depts at the hospitals and surgery centers and ask them if they have hired new grad sts ... DO NOT BELIEVE the schools or the AST - my school said they had a 90% placement rate and job assistance . The truth was even though 90% of the graduates were employed after 1 year - NOT ONE was working in the medical field - don't let your hopes and dreams get in the way of reality or you might end up like the rest of us .

LIZ M, in Atlantic City, New Jersey

70 months ago

Holly molly!!! if someone would've spoken to me with that honesty before I got into this program I wouldnt've taken it...Now after a year and hundreds of applications I'm still jobless....and very very dissapointed...most of the applications don't get a response and the ones that do turn me down for lack of experience!!! Hello!!!! If you don't give me the opportunity how am I supposed ti get any experience...They should have some kind of law agaist that...!!!oh well I shall continue my search..

70 months ago

LIZ M, in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: Holly molly!!! if someone would've spoken to me with that honesty before I got into this program I wouldnt've taken it...Now after a year and hundreds of applications I'm still jobless....and very very dissapointed...most of the applications don't get a response and the ones that do turn me down for lack of experience!!! Hello!!!! If you don't give me the opportunity how am I supposed ti get any experience...They should have some kind of law agaist that...!!!oh well I shall continue my search..

when someone says they are looking for someone with more experience then, you need to let them know that you come with no bad habits and they can train you to be the employee they want and need. go back to some of those places and put your applications back in keep being persistant. good luck

70 months ago

Evelyn,

How many new grads from gtcc would you say get hired at moses cone per year??

70 months ago

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina said: Evelyn,

How many new grads from gtcc would you say get hired at moses cone per year??

they just hired some not too long ago but not sure how many. where are you doing your clinicals now?

70 months ago

I'm actually not in the program right now. I was accepted for this years program but opted to wait a year and get all of my pre reqs out of the way so that all I have to take is the sur classes next fall...several people have told me that they wish they would've done the same thing. But I know that they are split up at high point regional and cone this year. You never mentioned if you felt prepared for the exam after you finished school? By the way, if I'm getting on your nerves asking all o f these questions, just let me know.

70 months ago

Thank you Evelyn for your comment, I even put in applications up in Greenville NC, At Pitt..I live in New Jersey...I need a job, I'm relocating to where ever I get called from!!!

70 months ago

Oh, and I'm certified, a member of the AST, graduated in December top of the class and made The National Honor Society of the AST!!!! and all that goes straight doun the toilet when I tell them Im a new graduate and they see I have no experience other than my clinicals...It's very sad and frustrating and ofcourse dissapointing!!! I have 3 kids to provide for and it's been very hard.

70 months ago

I feel your pain , as I've previously stated - none of my schools 20 graduates from last year are even employed in the medical field - not one .
But when I read the comments I feel sorry for the students , worrying about how much pay they will receive when they get out of school or wondering if they will enjoy the work - they have no clue that the vast majority of them will never be employed as ST's .....

70 months ago

LIZ M, in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: Oh, and I'm certified, a member of the AST, graduated in December top of the class and made The National Honor Society of the AST!!!! and all that goes straight doun the toilet when I tell them Im a new graduate and they see I have no experience other than my clinicals...It's very sad and frustrating and ofcourse dissapointing!!! I have 3 kids to provide for and it's been very hard.

i feel if you really want this just do your search on this site for anywhere and you should find something. keep your head up and if push come to shove go back to school for something else just don't give up.

70 months ago

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina said: I'm actually not in the program right now. I was accepted for this years program but opted to wait a year and get all of my pre reqs out of the way so that all I have to take is the sur classes next fall...several people have told me that they wish they would've done the same thing. But I know that they are split up at high point regional and cone this year. You never mentioned if you felt prepared for the exam after you finished school? By the way, if I'm getting on your nerves asking all o f these questions, just let me know.

i never took the test so i can't say if i was prepared but i will say take it right after you finish and don't wait.

Evita in Valrico, Florida

70 months ago

I graduated from Southwest Florida College as a Surg. Tech and I have yet to find a job. All places require a year of experience MINIMUM! i cant get certified yet because I do not have my required amount of cases. It's a catch 22. I have even offered to work for free so I can get experience and NOTHING!! If I could do it over again I would go to school for nursing, they get paid more, they are always in demand and most get hired straight out of school!!!If anyone has any leads in florida on surg tech jobs please let me know!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shellyg in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

How many cases are required to take the certification exam?

cststudentnate in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

im reading alot of forums down grading my prof and it sicking to my stomach. the best way to to successful is to be focus. just because someone isnt getting a job doesnt mean you wont, stay focus and keep ur eyes on thr prize. im finishin up school now about to go on extern and i love everything about ST. but being a st is steppin stone to become something better.. there are many paths you can take starting out as a ST."quitters never win" remember that..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I must take exception to your comment "quitters never win" My graduating class last year had 10 trained and enthusiastic grads that were extremely motivated and hard working trying everything to find work here in so. cal....we each filled out dozens of online apps , went to dozens of hospitals , surgery centers private surgeons - we plagued the HR departments weekly , offered to work for FREE just to get experience , offered to work and applied for GI lab , sterile processing , ORDERLY , maintanence ANYTHING for months and months and none of us - though very well prepared - were even given a chance at any remotely related position - we are all in HUGE debt and had our dreams dashed . And..its the same with the recent grads from the other local schools as well . I'm talking about the best grads that were Perfectly capable of performing the duties required of new ST's - we all had recommendations from surgeons and the school but it doesn't matter - do you know why ??? BECAUSE there is a huge GLUT of ST's out there !!! HUGE !!! even the Sterile processing and GI lab jobs for entry positions are getting 20 or more applications from ST's with over 5 YEARS experience these are $12 an hour jobs - When you people are giving happy talk about all you have to do is try hard and be persistant you are doing a huge disservice to people by encouraging them to go into a field that they have little or no chance of employment !!! You should be talking them out of this field - at least until there is no longer a huge glut - even the HR dept at the hospitals and surgery centers say " do not go in ST - we will not have any positions " there are too many and we get swamped with dozens or hundreds of apps for every opening posted . Go into RN or home caregiver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Are you saying you got a job or are you saying that you think you will get a job ? We had clinicals too..... 4 months full time but nobody was getting jobs after their clinicals . The best opportunities seem to be in the outlying areas , smaller cities and rural areas while the big city jobs are very rare for new grad ST's
I have been posting for over a year on this site because after the plight of my class in which none of the new grad ST's found work as a ST , or even sterile processing or any other medical job ... I had to warn people of the racket the schools have in which 90% of the ST's never get a job ... but the postings on this site by the school recruiters and AST promoters(posing as ST students and working st's...)paint an unrealistic picture for people as most will NEVER get an ST job .
I'm not saying the schools are not preparing people for work as an entry level ST because they are turning out well trained , perfectly capable people - the truth is there are not Nearly enough job openings out there for the vast majority of new grads and entry level positions are almost non existent .
Again , Call the employers and ask them before you enroll in this field before you commit ... they will tell you not to go into the ST field .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nate in Pikesville, Maryland

69 months ago

to be honest , no i dont have a job, and i have looked at all the hospitals. even an hour away, and there are openings im finishing my first fall semester(look below)

now about the 4 month clinical you said... we have 1 semester with no clin:fall, then spring is the pre clinc( no we are not in the hospital yet just getting ready), then summer i have full time clinc. (this is when we enter the hospital), the fall (in clinical and doing adv tech), then spring (same thing as 2nd fall) thats : 2 months(summer )+ 4 months (fall)+ 4 month (spring)= 10 months of clinc... i think that should suffice for clinc

i am just reading this after trying to find a "real" forum for us... and will look into this "false job rates" thing with my professor( should be available at HR or a portfolio of a class)

but no joke look at google maps and spot out this hospitals (they are red i think) and just breeze through the openings: 50% had a ST opening 25% had them for tier 1 ST's

69 months ago

unfortunately, I think it's just the area you live in. I live in North Carolina and we had %100 job placement last year. All of our surrounding hospitals open at least one position for an ST upon graduation, and some are even hired during their externship. Luckily, my school has a great reputation, especially in this field. I am sure it won't be like this for long...it will soon become saturated and we will have the same problems you're experiencing. Hopefully everything will pan out for you.

69 months ago

i agree completely, i mean we have the state coordinator with us so im hoping that will be helping us...i try and help her and do the best i can and im sure the school is too......

lets not blame the economy on how bad this job is

bc its not.... if you dont like surgery then dont be an st!!

69 months ago

nate in Pikesville, Maryland said: to be honest , no i dont have a job, and i have looked at all the hospitals. even an hour away, and there are openings im finishing my first fall semester(look below)

now about the 4 month clinical you said... we have 1 semester with no clin:fall, then spring is the pre clinc( no we are not in the hospital yet just getting ready), then summer i have full time clinc. (this is when we enter the hospital), the fall (in clinical and doing adv tech), then spring (same thing as 2nd fall) thats : 2 months(summer )+ 4 months (fall)+ 4 month (spring)= 10 months of clinc... i think that should suffice for clinc
Nate,

Check out www.ast.org Click on stundents and scroll down to online discussion board. You will have to register but it only takes a minute...It's a great forum
i am just reading this after trying to find a "real" forum for us... and will look into this "false job rates" thing with my professor( should be available at HR or a portfolio of a class)

but no joke look at google maps and spot out this hospitals (they are red i think) and just breeze through the openings: 50% had a ST opening 25% had them for tier 1 ST's

Nate, check out www.ast.org Click on Students and scroll down to online discussion board. You will have to register but it only takes a minute. It's an awesome forum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I just can't believe you guys.... First How can you believe the schools and the AST for employment information ?? I mean how gullible can someone be ?
Our school said (and most others too....) over 90% of our graduates get a job within a year !! They all do ! and so does the AST !
Ask them to put in writing that 90% of their graduates that graduated in the last YEAR are employed as ST's... They will not do it because while 90% of them are employed maybe 80% of those are working as furniture salesman or at Denny's - they count those too ... what do you expect them to say " only 10% of our graduates get hired as ST's " ? They would be out of business - the school placement offices are a joke -They need students or they are out of work !Period ! Same with the AST .
Also , there are countless jobs posted as "tier 1" ST opening or entry level ST jobs - First , unless you have have at least a year PAID OR or surgery experience they will not even read your resume . Talk to the employers before you finish - just pick up the phone and ask for yourself -

69 months ago

I don't go to AST for advice on jobs, I go there for the tremendous amount of feedback from the students and ST's that are not paid to be there. I'm am fully aware of the people who are on there to promote and sell AST services. I chat back and forth with a student who graduated from my program last year and she was hired 20 miles away withing a couple of months. She also keeps up with her graduating class and they have all pretty much have had success...so there you go. From what I have heard My instructor has place every student who has graduated since they opened the program about 4 years ago. With that being said, I am sure there were a few along the way that were not employed as ST's, some probably had to go into Central Processing or not into the field at all. But seriously, just because it is that bad where you're at, doesn't mean it is like that everywhere.

69 months ago

hey justin spear, thanks a lot for the info on the forum local! im an ast member and didnt even know about this, this is great!

thank you!!

cali boy.... just get out of cali... i think everyone can agree the economy there is next to nothing at the moment... just go to the east coast man we have a great medical system here in maryland, we have plenty of work , its a great place to start out your career man.... you can always move back to cali... good luck.

69 months ago

you are right about California and I really can't speak about other parts of the country , truth is some places the new grad ST's can find work , other places its next to impossible .Some of my graduating class went as far as to follow up on out of state job openings though they had no success - its really not practical to get on a plane and fly to another state to interview because you are not the only one applying , you may get lucky but its a numbers game - even in an area with better job prospects you still might have to apply for 5-10 openings to get hired just too expensive and impractical to do especially without paid work experience -and a family in tow .

sp 1968 in Lincolnton, North Carolina

69 months ago

I feel your pain. I graudated in 2007 and still have not found a job. I even attempted to take the exam and scored 60% needed 69% to pass. Which really put me in the dumps. i will stay positive and believe someone will put trust in me and give me a chance. I also have been on several interveiws with no luck. I will keep praying that something will come thru soon. i am also going to take the test again the first of the year.

Liz in Atlantic City, New Jersey

69 months ago

Holly Crap!!!!! It's so sad to read this....I have the same problemand it sucks....If would've known how hard this was gonna be I would 've gone for something else....I'm certified, graduated with honors, member of the AST Honor Society and it's all bs.....As soon as I say I hav no paid experience automatically they say " We'll give u a call with our decision as soon as we Interview the rest of our candidates".....

Maria in Madison, Wisconsin

69 months ago

Wow....such negitivity. I'm in my clinical rotations for Surgical Tech. here in Wisconsin and have not yet come across ANY of this negitivity in the OR. Guess a lot depends on your attitude and professionalism. I have also never been in an OR where the RN's are the scrubbed person......all techs. The only time I've seen RN's scrubbed in is for breaks for the techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phaces in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

RN in the scrub role is happening here in Chicago and it's just a matter of time before it will be happening there. If you think about it ......it' cost effective for the hospital and everyone is trying to save money but truly suck for any ST that's in a clinical rotation or resent grad of a ST program. Good Luck Maria........keep fighting the good fight.

69 months ago

If I were a different person, this would be depressing.
I am a real ST who has a real job, and I graduated in 2007.
If you live in a place where there are no jobs, you have some choices.
You can move, you can get another type of job, or you can go back to school for something that has more potential in your area.
This economy is not the best; do some research before you spend your money - and please don't spend a lot of money training for an entry level position... that is what this is.
I am sorry if there are no jobs where you are, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with being a Surgical Technologist. It is still a great job for those who are a good fit for it!
If you need to, make a new plan. Shake it off, and move on. Things don't always turn out the way we plan, but we CAN make a new plan.
That's what we do.
Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Phaces in Chicago, Illinois said: RN in the scrub role is happening here in Chicago and it's just a matter of time before it will be happening there. If you think about it ......it' cost effective for the hospital and everyone is trying to save money but truly suck for any ST that's in a clinical rotation or resent grad of a ST program. Good Luck Maria........keep fighting the good fight.

How is it cost effective to pay nurses to do the Surgical Techs job?
I am in Chicago, and I have been at several hospitals...
I am not seeing this trend at all.
????

69 months ago

Maria in Madison, Wisconsin said: Wow....such negitivity. I'm in my clinical rotations for Surgical Tech. here in Wisconsin and have not yet come across ANY of this negitivity in the OR. Guess a lot depends on your attitude and professionalism. I have also never been in an OR where the RN's are the scrubbed person......all techs. The only time I've seen RN's scrubbed in is for breaks for the techs.

Many RN's don't scrub often enough. They say they like to scrub, but most are pretty rusty from what I see. They don't want scrub money either. LOL

69 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: I just can't believe you guys.... First How can you believe the schools and the AST for employment information ?? I mean how gullible can someone be ?
Our school said (and most others too....) over 90% of our graduates get a job within a year !! They all do ! and so does the AST !
Ask them to put in writing that 90% of their graduates that graduated in the last YEAR are employed as ST's... They will not do it because while 90% of them are employed maybe 80% of those are working as furniture salesman or at Denny's - they count those too ... what do you expect them to say " only 10% of our graduates get hired as ST's " ? They would be out of business - the school placement offices are a joke -They need students or they are out of work !Period ! Same with the AST .
Also , there are countless jobs posted as "tier 1" ST opening or entry level ST jobs - First , unless you have have at least a year PAID OR or surgery experience they will not even read your resume . Talk to the employers before you finish - just pick up the phone and ask for yourself -

My school made no promises about work, and they did nothing to help, except my teacher would give you a recommendation if you were good.
They also only cost $4,000.00 (community college).
I agree you should talk to the hospitals in your area. Ask if they ever hired anyone from the school you attended. Also, ask where they get their techs from. Our school has techs at most of the hospitals in our area. We met them on clinicals, so we knew there was a possibility of getting hired if there were openings.
How do you know what 'most other schools say'? Not all programs are the same.

69 months ago

Most hospitals around here want you to do one or the other...if you're an ST and decide to become a nurse, they want you to only work as an RN. I don't really understand why though.

Carrie Kavanaugh in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

From one who has worked in sterile processing way in the past, go to school to become a surgical technician instead of spd tech. Why? You have lots more options and ability to move around more. Surgical techs are more diversified and can work not only in sterile processing, but also in surgery itself.

Carrie Kavanaugh in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

Oops- I misread a few things. Sorry- thought this was about the SPD tech job. It seems cost inefficient to use RNs to scrub in but I have been out of the field for so long, no longer know what is going on in hospitals.

cynthia in East Brunswick, New Jersey

68 months ago

i totally agree with you about bashing surgical tech its agreat profession. maybe youcan help me . i am working in csp dept. having trouble getting the experience i need for a surgical tech job what advise can you give me how and where do i become certified. any advise would be helpful.rock on surgical tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68 months ago

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for reaching out. I am in Illinois, so I'm not sure how it works in your state. Have you gone to Surgical Tech school?
I went to a local junior college. You can take the certification exam after you graduate from the program (it is a national exam, meaning your certification can travel to any state). Let me know if you have already gone to school, or if you are just starting to explore the field.

cynthia in East Brunswick, New Jersey

68 months ago

graduated from anthem institute last january. working in spd dept, but its difficult to get hired a surgical tech.

Hate my job in Hesperia, California

68 months ago

maya in Little Neck, New York said: don't do it I did it for 10 years it was horrible-nurses & doctors are abusive (S--- flows down hill) sued 2 jobs for sexual harassment & hostile work environment & settled out of court. I would rather beg in the street.

Regarding harassment. I'm in labor and delivery and get harassed all the time by upset/tired ob's. Just tonight there was a c-section and doc asked for a chromic gi needle. I gave him a leftover piece as not to waste, and he poked his finger when tying and shouted, "Come on guys I don't know why you give me F*#king remnants!" Not 2 minutes later the good doctor asked for a chromic gi needle again, I informed the circulator to open a new one and he said the used one would be fine. Can I sue the doctor for this? The hospital? What the heck? Is this truly harassment in the workplace? Honestly I hate scrubbing and don't like feeling like a kick toy. 15 years of this day in and day out. Jesus please, there's got to be a better way.

austin in Charlotte, North Carolina

66 months ago

does anybody have any GOOD stories about st...getting a job directly after graduation???

66 months ago

Angie in Gastonia, North Carolina said: help me please....I graduated from Surg Tech school in June 2006. It has been a year now and I still can not find a job as a Surgical Technologist...I do not know what I am doing wrong...I am in the Charlotte NC area and I have had at 4 or 5 interviews. I am consistently appyling for new Surg Tech openings everyday. I got a call Friday for another interview. I seriously need to score this interview and I get so nervous at interviews. What are some typical Surg Tech Interview questions...I really need to get this one...Please help me.

If you can, go back to your school, and review instruments, clinical, etc.
Being out for a year, and being new, it will show some initiative on your part to be proactive enough to seek reinforcement of your skills.

Take your case log to the interview. Hopefully you kept a log of the cases you did during your clinicals. Type it, or use a skinny black marker and make it a nice graph. It will give the interviewer an idea of what you are familiar with.
Make sure your resume is professional. No typos, nice paper (heavier weight),
in a manilla folder, or envelope so that you don't have to fold it.

Dress for a secretarial position. Look like you could work in the office. No night club clothes, but wear dress pants, not jeans or chinos. No nail polish, or clear. Conservative hair style, and be friendly, but not chatty.

If you can, read articles on interviewing. Above all, be confident. You will get a job, but you have to believe.

Don't be afraid to call some of the other places you interviewed. There is nothing wrong with telling them you wanted them to know you are still available, and still interested in working for them. A phone call is sometimes all you need to keep you on thier mind.

Good luck.

I hope this helps. Congratulations on graduating. Get ceritified as soon as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Its almost funny.....I've been posting on this site for 18 months now (you can scroll the postings and see) and I remember saying back then Don't believe the AST people , the school people (shills) and ST's that were hired before 2008 because they either have a serious financial interest in promoting people to persue this field or in the case of graduates before early 2008 they were living in a different world back then when most good st new grads would get a job.
Read the posts...how many people in the last 18 months have posted saying that they are a new grad and they were actually hired on as an ST ? Look at the posts -I DID and there are 0 , none ! There are countless happy talk posts...saying they have heard that the grads from their schools are getting hired but no one has posted saying they were actually hired on ....there are probably 50 posts from people who can't find a job - working their butts off trying (wasting their time following the stupid suggestions that don't work.." offer to volunteer , be happy during your interview , there are tons of online postings for beginning STs..etc. etc. etc.
Where are all the posts from the newly hired STs ? MY grad class , the best 10 grads - 18 months ago not one is working in the medical field . 3 even had bachelor degrees - all were smart , well prepared and ready to try anything to get their foot in the door . Now they are all buried in debt and cursing the day they were encouraged to Follow their dreams and go to ST school.
ONE MORE TIME - Call the hospital HR depts. , Call the surgery centers, call the plastic centers call the private surgeons etc. ASK them if they would recommend this ST field or if they would hire new grads BEFORE YOU GET SUCKED INTO this field . Don't believe me - believe the employers !!!!!!!!!!

KAT in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

My husband is nearing graduation of his surgical tech program. His original class graduated in December and everyone he knows has jobs and are working in the field. The hospital he is going to for clinicals told instructors they are looking to hire and they previously hired graduates from the last class. We are hoping and praying that he will have a job offer upon graduation. He says Texas recently passed legislation to require mandatory certification which will help. Our economy seems to be doing alright here and I don't think there is an over flooding of surgical techs in our area. Unfortunately some areas in the country, California especially are not doing well. I work with an inexperienced RN who just moved from CA because she was not able to get a job there, so it's no just STs that are unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanette in Salinas, California

66 months ago

kevin said: Im a new surgical tech grad myself and if anyone can help me land a job by giving out websites or any other valuable information I would greatly appreciate it

Hi Kevin! I have a quick question for you.
Where did you do your surgical tech program at?

Patty7 in scranton Pennsyania in Scranton, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Everyone need to be sure of themseleves.Now i have listen to everyone coplain,their wasnt anyone positive.First of all I would like to see somme of you people resume and your presetation on a interveiw. Mind you Ijust granduated too,so i dont have a job yet, but Iam not a insurcure underminded person.All of you negative people please stop discouraging others.Guess what just because you didnt get a job doesnt mean(that i wont)Be bless and be positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.