Surgical Tech Job Market TRUTH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Robert in Boynton Beach, Florida

88 months ago

Hello everyone~
If you really want to know the truth about being a surgical tech from a real surgical veteran, read on...
I see a variety of questions about surgical technology here & I receive a ton of questions on a regular basis about the job market as a surgical tech.
This field is by no means a short cut to an easy medical career.
The education requires dedication & it is tough, and the work experience needed to become proficient can be a challenge to obtain.
BUT IT IS POSSIBLE to take a surgical tech education & use it to open up doors you probably never even thought of. Some of the doors you might open with a surgical tech background can even lead into BIG MONEY$$$! AND there are ways to make the big bucks working as a surgical tech...
My name is Robert Prince, and I recently wrote an article on the Surgical Tech Job Market that you may find to be of use. I'm a CST & have been in the Surgical World since the 1980's.
You can find the free article here:
www.surgicaltechsuccess.com/stjobtruth.html
And please feel free to contact me anytime on my site:
www.SurgicalTechSuccess.com
There is a lot of FREE info & resources at my site.
Thank you!
Robert

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cpalos in Flower Mound, Texas

85 months ago

I am contimplating on attending High Tech Inst. for surgical tech, becuase they have
great hrs. and I can still attend to my family. One concern I have is that they are not caahep accredited. They are trying to reassure me that I can still be certified in the state of texas upon completion of their program. They test through NCCT. Is this true that my certification through NCCT is just as accreditable as through CAAHEP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snowbird

85 months ago

cpalos in Flower Mound, Texas said: I am contimplating on attending High Tech Inst. for surgical tech, becuase they have
great hrs. and I can still attend to my family. One concern I have is that they are not caahep accredited. They are trying to reassure me that I can still be certified in the state of texas upon completion of their program. They test through NCCT. Is this true that my certification through NCCT is just as accreditable as through CAAHEP?

I have been wondering the same thing too. I have searched high and low at this point and all I have gotten is misinformation. I too want to attend high tech I love the school, I am very concerned about not having the CST designation at the end. So, I wonder can you transfer from a TS-C to CST designation with additional schooling or online courses? Does anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

snowbird

85 months ago

so can you go from TS-C to CST with additioanal schooling or online courses?

snowbird

85 months ago

woops, meant additional :)

CST in VA in Lebanon, Virginia

85 months ago

Go to a CAAHEP or ABHES accredited school. The National Board of Surgical Technologist and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA.org) ONLY recognize schools with either accreditation. Otherwise you will waste your money. Also STAY away from proprietary schools(for profit). Depending on the location, you may leave with a $20,000-$35,000 debt. If you chose to pay that much, then you might as well go to a university for a Physician's Assistant degree or a Bachelor's Degree in nursing. BE wise, you have to pay that money back if you take out loans.

Try to locate a community college ST program instead. It will be less costly. Check out www.ast.org for helpful information. There is a map posted with average salaries of Surgical Technologist members.

This profession pays "okay". But, my definition of "okay" may differ from your definition. Also, you may want to look at various job search engines for Surgical Technologist job postings. The healthcare field is growing, but it is not immune to the current economy. Many of my fellow colleagues have suffered a mandatory reduction in work hours. Thus affecting their take home pay.

My suggestion to you is this...
1) Research the field
2) Go to AST's website (Often times the board of directors will respond to the forum questions posed by various individuals)
3) Make certain that you are passionate about this career choice
4) If you are in dire straights, I hate to say this but... Go to school for nursing or Physician's assistant school and then go get your ST degree. Please do not get me wrong. I love what I do. But, when the jobs for CST's are few and far between it is difficult. With nursing, you can cross-train in another department or facility if your hours decrease. The OR is more specialized which makes this option difficult for surgical techs.

Go to NBSTSA and AST for your information and get the facts from the source!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yar in Apex, North Carolina

14 months ago

You're just selling a book and a pipe dream. Being a surgical tech is not worth it folks! Trust me. Just graduated. No jobs and the work is as stressful as it comes. Go the extra mile and do a two year program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.