Surgical Tech Program @ Mandl School in NYC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

David in Syracuse, New York

76 months ago

Hello, I currently live in Syracuse NY and I recently found a job in NYC and am moving to Astoria on the 13th. Most people in my class found jobs in Syracuse, I believe something like 10 out of 13 did. The other 3, well, I wouldn't have hired them personally so why would an OR or business. The area really did run out of jobs around 10 anyways, so who knows.

I don't know anything about Mandl, but in the course of looking for work in NYC it seemed that the starting rate was about 36,000 a year for someone fresh out of school. Also, to keep in mind when you are through with your program you will still have to orient to all of the various surgical services in a full OR, so you will basically be receiving on the job training for a bit as well. If anyone has better information on these subjects, please correct me!

-David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

NinanShawn in Astoria, New York

76 months ago

Hey David,
First, thanks for your info, the program that i am attending also includes a 7 month externship at a chosen hospital so hopefully this will give me some on the job training. So far how do you like the career? Thanks again and good luck w/your new job and move, you'll luv Astoria :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GLORIA in West Palm Beach, Florida

76 months ago

NinanShawn in Astoria, New York said: I am enrolled to attend the Surgical Tech program at Mandl Healthcare School this October, my question is anyone every attened their program? I am very excited and curious as to what i can expect! How was your experience? I know they promise job placement but did anyone have a hard time finding work? Also right out of school what can I expect to make in salary in NYC? Thank You in advance for anyone's info or tips

IT'S NOT THAT IT'S HARD FINDING A JOB IT IS THAT PEOPLE WHO GET THE TECH JOBS TEND TO KEEP THEM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Syracuse, New York

76 months ago

I dunno yet, I start my first job in the field on monday! :D And yeah, in my experience I've met a lot of techs who have spent their entire 20+ year careers in the same OR. Thanks for the luck, same to you!

ConcordeTech in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

Make sure you visit AST.com :0) Also check into your state assembly!

Butahflyblue in Richmond Hill, New York

75 months ago

NinanShawn in Astoria, New York said: I am enrolled to attend the Surgical Tech program at Mandl Healthcare School this October, my question is anyone every attened their program? I am very excited and curious as to what i can expect! How was your experience? I know they promise job placement but did anyone have a hard time finding work? Also right out of school what can I expect to make in salary in NYC? Thank You in advance for anyone's info or tips

Hey nina I am also starting this class on oct. 13 I have just as many questions as you do. Orientation is tomorrow the 7 if you like here is my email shop7481@yahoo.com let me know if u find any more info.

Marie in NYC in Woodside, New York

62 months ago

I work for NYU-HJD in Manhattan and they start you off pretty high. 42k/yr and after your orientation, they add on 45k/year. I had no clue about Orthopeadics when I started since the clinicals I did in school were mostly general, uro, neuro, plastics, ent etc. HJD is a teaching hospital which means they are willing to hire fresh off school - BUT very hard to get in because they always do "in-house" hiring which means they train and educate their employees to be surgical techs. Getting back to salary, they jump you off to $50k/year after 2 years of working. After 4 yrs, your salary will be $60-$65k/year. Most importantly, get CERTIFIED. You'll be so much more marketable and you get an additional $1,000 a year from the national board or ST. ^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Syracuse, New York

61 months ago

I am considering going to school to become a surgical tech. I am 39 years old and starting over. I was considering OCC ~ Does anyone have any suggestion for the Syracuse area? I am concerned about the schooling. How difficult are the classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unknown2012 in New York, New York

40 months ago

NinanShawn in Astoria, New York said: I am enrolled to attend the Surgical Tech program at Mandl Healthcare School this October, my question is anyone every attened their program? I am very excited and curious as to what i can expect! How was your experience? I know they promise job placement but did anyone have a hard time finding work? Also right out of school what can I expect to make in salary

the School is no good......leting u no .....when u finish the course ....it's hell to find hiring and the school placement adviser is no help ...trust me i graduated from mandl as a surgical tech with a 4.0 ...and guess wat hospitals can't hire you ...u need more experiences ....your professor chair man he is no help....post graduates are struggling to study for the board exams CST....I ask for help for a refresh but no Help at all...o yea by the way the Don't waste your time going there go get a your bachleors Degree R.N or head for the P.A program at a good Universtity...plus the Staff and teaching is No Good!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Teraya Chappel in Howard Beach, New York

11 months ago

What school did you go to? I am interested in going to school to be a surgical tech but I am not sure what school to go to.

Teraya Chappel in Howard Beach, New York

11 months ago

Teraya Chappel in Howard Beach, New York said: What school did you go to? I am interested in going to school to be a surgical tech but I am not sure what school to go to.

i am writing to Marie in NYC in Woodside, New York

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.