Surgical Tech School/Pay

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Mbahne88 in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I want to change career and have decided on Surgical Technoloy.I have heard many negatives comments,but still want to go for I love the hospital environment.Miller-Mott states they help with job placement and has a 100% success rate.It sounds too to be true.Also , I want to make sure if I have to take out a loan it will be worth it. Can anyone in this area give me some feed back on Miller-Mott,the pay,job placement here in Wilmington,NC ,and is it worth.Thanks.

well i for one would not be believe any school that says they have 100% job placement rate. i would also tell you to do your own research on Surgical Technician by talking to current ST's and see for your self if there is a demand were you stay. One thing i can say about the school at least its CAAHEP accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Oakland, California

52 months ago

Mbahne88 in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I want to change career and have decided on Surgical Technoloy.I have heard many negatives comments,but still want to go for I love the hospital environment.Miller-Mott states they help with job placement and has a 100% success rate.It sounds too to be true.Also , I want to make sure if I have to take out a loan it will be worth it. Can anyone in this area give me some feed back on Miller-Mott,the pay,job placement here in Wilmington,NC ,and is it worth.Thanks.

go to nursing school instead. same length, better pay, and u can work in different sections including scrubbing. 100% job placement is absurd, but i could be wrong. hospitals look for experience, very few of them want to train surg tech's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Roland in Oxford, Mississippi

52 months ago

I am currently in Surg Tech School here in Oxford and I know for a fact that in my area including memphis Techs are in a demand here because many are going back to school or retiring. just keep looking and dont give up:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tak in Sumter, South Carolina

51 months ago

does anybody know how much do surgical tech earn in south carolina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tak in Sumter, South Carolina

51 months ago

Is central carolina tech a good school for surgical tech and how is their job placement. I would like to here from sumone who in that program there or a surgical tech how graduated from central carolina tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sep in Atlanta, Georgia

49 months ago

Facts:
1.) There are 461 accredited surgical Technology schools in America PLUS military trained Tech’s.
2.) Most hospitals want at least ONE year experience an even newer trend is TWO to FIVE years.
3.) Every state has a HIGH amount of accredited programs so “Relocating” is very hard as they don’t need out of state people.
4.) Travel Tech Position’s listed are usually for people with EXPERIENCE not being filled because of a demand, but due to sick leave/pregnancy.
5.) Clinical does not count as EXPERIENCE call HR ask
6.) If you don’t get hired at your clinical you probably wont get hired
7.) A clinical cannot hire every graduate some years it may hire NO GRADUATES
8.) Certification helps the reason there are at least four graduates Appling to many of the positions they have no need to look at people who can’t get certified.
9.) Many people will say get on in sterile processing you will most likely stay in sterile processing for years if you can get a position in sterile processing in the first place.
10.) Sterile processing will not pay Surgical Technologist pay.
If you want to know what the start salary for a Surgical Technologist is you probably won’t get a salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Foster in North Olmsted, Ohio

49 months ago

Sep in Atlanta, Georgia said: Facts:
1.) There are 461 accredited surgical Technology schools in America PLUS military trained Tech’s.
2.) Most hospitals want at least ONE year experience an even newer trend is TWO to FIVE years.
3.) Every state has a HIGH amount of accredited programs so “Relocating” is very hard as they don’t need out of state people.
4.) Travel Tech Position’s listed are usually for people with EXPERIENCE not being filled because of a demand, but due to sick leave/pregnancy.
5.) Clinical does not count as EXPERIENCE call HR ask
6.) If you don’t get hired at your clinical you probably wont get hired
7.) A clinical cannot hire every graduate some years it may hire NO GRADUATES
8.) Certification helps the reason there are at least four graduates Appling to many of the positions they have no need to look at people who can’t get certified.
9.) Many people will say get on in sterile processing you will most likely stay in sterile processing for years if you can get a position in sterile processing in the first place.
10.) Sterile processing will not pay Surgical Technologist pay.
If you want to know what the start salary for a Surgical Technologist is you probably won’t get a salary.

Amen. Well put. I graduated in May of this year and passed the cst 2 weeks later. Graduated at the top of my class and did very well in clinicals at a level one trauma center. Thought I had a good chance to get hired there but 2 weeks before grad they were letting people go. Not sure if I should of picked a county hospital. Point being, 6 months later and no job and it isn't looking good. Spent about 10 grand to do this and no job. May have to chaulk it up as an life experience or an expensive hobby. Should have bought a boat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bryan in Frankfort, Kentucky

48 months ago

go with LPN instead.. more jobs ... a lot more jobs! pay is the same as CST. note i said CST not noob ST's

fosters in North Olmsted, Ohio

48 months ago

bryan in Frankfort, Kentucky said: go with LPN instead.. more jobs ... a lot more jobs! pay is the same as CST. note i said CST not noob ST's[/QUOTE I thought of that route but unfortunately in the cleveland area LPN jobs are hard to come by as well.

Scrub Tech in Calabash, North Carolina

39 months ago

Mbahne88 in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I want to change career and have decided on Surgical Technoloy.I have heard many negatives comments,but still want to go for I love the hospital environment.Miller-Mott states they help with job placement and has a 100% success rate.It sounds too to be true.Also , I want to make sure if I have to take out a loan it will be worth it. Can anyone in this area give me some feed back on Miller-Mott,the pay,job placement here in Wilmington,NC ,and is it worth. Thanks.

I went to MMC, the job placement means they will keep check of all available positons in your area and it's still your responsibility to apply and interview and get the job. There are plenty of jobs available, but you have to be patient an you may have to work a shift you don't necessarily want, in order to get your experience. You will get out of your school experience what you put into it. I went back as an adult and was one of the oldest in the class. I finished top of my class and passed my CST exam right away. I was lucky and found a job within a month of finishing school. I am very happy with my education and with what I doing, but I am sure that there are plenty of opinions on this situation. The pay in the Wilmington area isn't that great it starts about $14-$16 per hour, but can go up with experience and shift options. I am thinking of going on to get my RN as well, this will give me the opportuity to scrub and circulate in the OR, opens the door for many more options.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.