Surgical Tech schools in/near Alabama

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Ashley in Cropwell, Alabama

57 months ago

Hi,

I am a stay-at-home mom and online college student, but lately I've been looking at becoming a surgical technologist. I've read a lot on this forum (and several others) and am very interested. The thing is, I'm not sure where to go to school that is accredited. I really *don't* wanna go to Virginia College. It seems like a total ripoff with tuition upwards of $30,000. However, there are no other schools near me that are accredited. I'm in Lincoln, AL. There is one in Waco, GA that I am considering. Has anyone been through West Georgia Technical College's program and can give me some info on it?
Also, I know Huntsville Hospital has a 6 month in house program but it is not accredited. How important is accredidation?
Thank you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber D. in Goose Creek, South Carolina

57 months ago

Hey there!
I have to say first that accreditation is extremely important. If you look at all the job postings they want you to have gone to an accredited institution and upon completing your program you must be certified in most of the states. I know it seems like a rip off but if it is something you REALLY want to do, then the price shouldn't matter!. When I finished my Surgical Technology degree 3 years ago the tuition was at $22,000.00 and it's gone up since then... It only going to get higher the more time passes! I would definitely look into a school that is accredited!!!
If you have anymore questions you are more than welcome to email me at: amberosya29@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Cropwell, Alabama

57 months ago

Thanks, Amber. I appreciate your info!

Well, Virginia College also has a reputation for hoarding students' financial aid and never credit it to their accounts, so I just don't feel right about that. I am thinking of the program in West Georgia. It's accredited and 6-7,000 (it's a community college). We'll see if I can make it happen. I already have current loans out from my current courses, and this particular school doesn't accept federal loans. So if Sallie Mae won't defer my loans till I finish the surgical tech program, then looks like I'll keep going my current route of my online BA in American Studies just for financial reasons.

I really think I'd love working in the OR. I love helping people, I'm organized, and I like a fast paced environment. Also, standing up for long periods of time doesn't bother me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T. Robinson in Birmingham, Alabama

57 months ago

I am currently attending Virginia College and have not had any problems with financial aid. I will be graduating in Sept 2010. It's a great program!!!

Kimberly_35570 in Hamilton, Alabama

55 months ago

Ashley in Cropwell, Alabama said: Hi,

I am a stay-at-home mom and online college student, but lately I've been looking at becoming a surgical technologist. I've read a lot on this forum (and several others) and am very interested. The thing is, I'm not sure where to go to school that is accredited. I really *don't* wanna go to Virginia College. It seems like a total ripoff with tuition upwards of $30,000. However, there are no other schools near me that are accredited. I'm in Lincoln, AL. There is one in Waco, GA that I am considering. Has anyone been through West Georgia Technical College's program and can give me some info on it?
Also, I know Huntsville Hospital has a 6 month in house program but it is not accredited. How important is accredidation?
Thank you all.

Hey Ashley,

I was wondering if you have decided on a school? I also live in Alabama and am looking into surgical tech. Besides Virgina College.. there is BSCC in Sumiton Al and Itawamba Community College in Tupelo, MS also offers it! Please get back with me, I would love to find out more about any programs!

Alan in Charleston, South Carolina

53 months ago

Ashley, 30k is too much for tuition, Amber, wow you paid $22k? I'm just up the street from you and only paid $6600!

Ashley in Lincoln, Alabama

50 months ago

Hey! No, I never enrolled or applied to any surg. tech schools. I'm still taking classes online to get my BA in history. In the meantime, I'd kind of like to go to school during the day to be a surg. tech. I was looking at Bevill since we are looking into moving to Birmingham soon. Ahh..who knows, though? Finances are a huge issue.

Pachese Finch in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

Hi all, I am going back to school to become a surgical tech. I am interested in Everest, however they don't offer evening classes. Does anyone know of any other accredited schools in North GA that does offer evening classes? And does anyone know if Everest is a good school to attend.

Blake in Birmingham, Alabama

37 months ago

Kimberly_35570 in Hamilton, Alabama said: Hey Ashley,

I was wondering if you have decided on a school? I also live in Alabama and am looking into surgical tech. Besides Virgina College.. there is BSCC in Sumiton Al and Itawamba Community College in Tupelo, MS also offers it! Please get back with me, I would love to find out more about any programs!

Hey guys/girls...This is Blake...DONT DO BSCC...they are a joke. Yes price is good,but they set you up for failure from the beginning. Just tried to do final checkoffs to go to clinicals and the scenario was nothing like what we practiced in lab.

ldhmamadm in Florence, Alabama

36 months ago

Consider Calhoun Community College in Decatur if possible. Bevill has a good program, but I've been told the attrition rate is super high ... as it is at Calhoun, but the instructor at Bevill is more strict. It is very demanding, very hands on, and very technical wherever you go. Calhoun is accredited and about 70% of the graduates from last year are now employed as ST's. 14 out of an original 28 graduated, about half of those 14 passed the certification exam. Good luck!

LC in Birmingham, Alabama

36 months ago

I'm having to choose between Virginia College and Bevill simply because they are the only options within reasonable driving distance for me. Moving is not an option. Some negative comments I have read about the program at Bevill concern me, however I am very weary of dropping nearing 35k at VC when I know that I won't start out at more than 30k my first job(plus I already have loans from prior education). Anyone have some insight?

Minnie in Bayonne, New Jersey

16 months ago

Hey all.
Im tjinking anout the surgical tech...does any one know if it is a good career choice? Are there jobs for new graduates? I'm in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.