Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 349)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

MayaPapaya in Long Beach, California

71 months ago

Wow! I am nearly overwhelmed by all of the advice, comments, and insights posted here. My story: I am looking at a mid-life career change, and have myriad questions and concerns about the career track and the educational path to get there. So far the following people have been most helpful to my quest:

* OVSTAMPCO (Orange, CA): Your candor about your frustrating post-school job search is very helpful, and I can't thank you enough for your eye-opening snapshot on SoCal opportunities. I get that the recession has impacted the "recession-proof industry" (uh-huh!) and I hope a suitable position surfaces for you soon.

* JEANNIE (Hayward, CA): Your long career tenure gives me hope that mine is not a fleeting and fanciful pursuit, and you've offered a lot of great information and advice about the overall field. I agree that there are always good days and bad days in any professional environment.

* ANN (Los Angeles, CA): Thanks for the tip on UCLA as an option for intern rotation (I got my BA in UCLA in 2000). Teaching hospitals sound like perfectly sound options for gaining more hands-on experience.

* MISTI (Long Beach, CA): You've given me hope as a 40+ re-entry student making a career change, although you already have a hard sciences leg-up coming from a VM background!

* NANCY LYNN (Irvine, CA): How was CCA's ST program for you? Did you feel sufficiently prepared to sit the professional exams? How great you got in at Cedars!

Of all the options in the medical field, part of the surgical team has the greatest appeal to me, whether I choose ST or OR Nurse path I have yet to finally decide. I would very much like to talk offline with any of you listed above. Email me: valleygirlcentral@yahoo.com

Thanks to you all. Please stay in touch, I have many questions. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pixy in Marietta, Georgia

71 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

I work as a surgical tech in Georgia. I went into this career right out of high school. I have been doing this for 4 years. I am now going back to school to be a nurse. My program for this took 1 year plus however long it takes for core classes. I started at $13.26 right out of school. I interned at a couple hospitals and one of those hospitals hired me and I started 2 weeks after graduating. Positive- it's nice to know which surgeons you would go to if something happened to you or a family member. Negatives- there is no promotions. You are just stuck at this position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chanel Dionne in Detroit, Michigan

71 months ago

This has been the most straight foward post by far. Thank you for your honesty it was very helpful. I think I will be pursuing another carrer choice....respectfully. I thought this was what I wanted to do but after reading most of these post I consider it a blessing that I came across this information. So I wouldn't waste my time. God knows I don't have the patience to deal with fucked up attitudes and God complex. I do like the idea of seeing surgical procedures everyday, but I can keep it at the television...lmao....Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

71 months ago

Miss Michelle in Buena Park, California said: I'm a 37 year old Woman, looking to go back to school to pursue a career as a surgical tech. I am very conflicted about choosing this career due to the fact I have heard so many negative aspects about the job. Can anyone tell me something positive? Can anyone give good solid information regarding schooling, pay and getting hired right out o school? Much appreciated, thank you.

This job sucks!!!!!!!!!! You won't find a job after school.

Jbhinson in Lebanon, Tennessee

71 months ago

Hey im in a surg. tech program and i finish in 3 weeks and im really scared about finding a job.. anyone have any tippers for helping me find a job?? The economy is in ruins and everyone wants experience.. Im hoping that someone some where will give in and take a new grad...Im not finding any listings..
Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pamschroeder3@yahoo.com in Queen Creek, Arizona

71 months ago

Its hard to find a job right now. No one will give us new grad's a chance.I'm not finding any thing I've been looking but no luck. We just have to hang in there !!!!! Don't give up!!!!!

ovstampco in Waukegan, Illinois

71 months ago

Don't waste your time...a year ago there were some openings for new grads , but now there are no more. In fact, I haven't seen a job posting in all california for at least eight months not requiring experience - the reason for this is now there are not enough openings for even the experienced techs - meaning even the entry level jobs are filled by people with years of experience not one of the grads from my accredited school over the last year has been able to get a job in the field - ANY medical job - thats over 20 qualified , perfectly capable people that have worked for many months full time doing every thing they could think of to get a job (many of which have bachelors degrees also...)- from personal contacts , connections from " placement assistance" tormenting HR and OR managers , calling , calling , going in person (don't even waste your time putting in online apps...)offering to sleep with people ...no one has a job and its basically the same with the other half dozen schools here. According to the HR manager at St. Johns hospital in Santa Ana there is probably a 5 years glut of new grad St's at this time - if no more grads are added ! They all say if you graduate start the RN program immediately as that is the only position that is still in need of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jbhinson in Nashville, Tennessee

71 months ago

OMG!!! my nightmares have come true.. I was soo scared I wouldnt be able to find a job... I have applied and applied everywhere in every forum.. There are 2 people in my class of 12 that have jobs to go to when they finish.. One is a PRN position and the other got a full time position at a small hospital 30 minutes from nashville..I dont want to be an RN but looks like I am running out of options..I dont want to circulate and I havent seen alot of RN's that scrub...Has anyone else seen any rn's That scrub???

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

71 months ago

My hospital is moving towards an all RN staff in the OR so yes, I've seen RNs scrub! It's rare to find a tech!

71 months ago

I'm a scrub tech. its very rare these days to find a job....

71 months ago

Its hard to find a job right now in any state for a surgical tech,
But hang in there and don't give up your not the only one not getting a job. I live in AZ, and there are only a few people out of my class that got a job right out of school. That really sucks!!!!!!! Good luck with your search..

junbug in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

Hall in Houston, Texas said: I keep reading that it is better to go ahead and become a RN rather than going for ST. I would love to be a RN but I can't afford to spend the money and time at the moment. I am thinking ST would be a good fit for me. I am worried about the starting pay and job openings in Houston. Any body have any advise for me.

what about going the lvn route. i think it might be easier to get a job after school

Jacks Raging Bile Duct in Hotel, California

70 months ago

<----Will pass and wash instruments for food.

snowbird20

68 months ago

Steve in Roseville, California said: Dear Julie,

I am a Surg Tech in the sacramento area. Most tech that are intering in to the field in this are are going to either Hightech or Western Career. I would say that most of the techs that I work with have graduated from Hightech. That is where I went also. i can highly recomend them. The hands on lab they have there is outstanding. I also know the surg tech dircetor at Western, he is an outstanding instructor and director. I know that neither one of these schools cost 35k unless they have increased that much in the past couple of years. They should be more like around 20k to 25k. But both schools have lots of ways to pay for your education. I would recomend ST over LVN. It is a quick way into the hospitals. And most hospitals have a fast track to RN program. Good luck

Steve

Hi Steve, I am surprised to read this, as High Tech is not accredited nor can you sit for CST...though this has always been my first choice in the Sacramento area, so I was very disappointed to see they were not CAAHEP accredited...the cost for High Tech is 25K and the cost for Western is 35K..so big difference there too..any help you could provide would be great

Margo in Elk Grove, California

68 months ago

Steve, thanks for the helpful information you provided. I got a question if you don't mind... Was it hard or time consuming finding a job after your externship? This is where all my concerns lie; being able to paid off the loans that will make it possible for me to go.

Steve in Roseville, California

68 months ago

I went directly to work where I externed. That is the key. You need to make sure that where your school is placing you for extern is also hiring or there is a possibility for a job. Your externship is like a long job interview. I f you don't get hired on your extern it is extremly hard to find a job with only extern experience. especially here in the Sacramento area. There are alot of students trying to get the same jobs. Good Luck

Steve in Roseville, California

68 months ago

snowbird20 said: Hi Steve, I am surprised to read this, as High Tech is not accredited nor can you sit for CST...though this has always been my first choice in the Sacramento area, so I was very disappointed to see they were not CAAHEP accredited...the cost for High Tech is 25K and the cost for Western is 35K..so big difference there too..any help you could provide would be great

I can only go by my experience. I went to hightect it was a great experience. They have a great lab. The classroom is only as good as the effort you but into it. Some people think the classroom part is not important. I totally disagree. You need to really study hard in the classroom. To know what in the hell you are doing when you get into the operating room. Especially when the doctor starts asking you questions. You need to earn their respect or you are done. As far as accredited. You can become certified after Hightech, I did, through NCCT. I know for me it really didn't make any difference being certified. Out of all the techs I work with none of them are certified. I guess it might help if you are not hired on your extern, and are job hunting.

lipes in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

I think you only get a job if you are accredited, at least here in south of california area is like that, but i feel it has no sense if you expend money and time to not being certified

ewattsjt in Marion, Indiana

68 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: My hospital is moving towards an all RN staff in the OR so yes, I've seen RNs scrub! It's rare to find a tech!

In my area and in all the facilities within about an hour drive is staffed with one to two CSTs per room and it is seldom that the RN will scrub unless a CRNFA.

There are RNs that scrub and it would be better if you can align yourself with a physician to scrub privately as a RN (at least in my area). RNs are typically paid at about a quarter more than techs..so for every four techs you work, you get the fifth one for free as opposed to an all RN staff. Even if the RN is more versatile, it still doesn’t offset the overall savings.

a escobar in Cypress, Texas

68 months ago

Does anyone know how the job market looks in houston?

junbug in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Surgerygurl in Fullerton, California said: Are you serious? How do you think surgical technology was born? It is far too expensive to have 2 RNs in 1 r

this is true but we are not management thinking about how to cut cost. people want to know about the day to day.
as tech you get wear and tear and over the years without the money of the R.N. to compensate. The thing is you really have to be thinking about the long term because as karina says there is so much you can learn and as you get older your body might be/will be singing a different tune and then what? I worked one day for a plastic surgeon and i did enjoy it for the one day 'cause it took away the usual from my regular job--i was the tech, the first assist, the nurse--I had to draw up some meds and bring the PT to back o.r room and talk to them, the orderly--turn over room in between cases, the sterile processing tech. At my other job i Just scrub all day maybe i'll get lucky and first assist forget about talking to the pt. With both situations over the long haul day in and day out, can you say tired. Karnia is younger than me and i think she said some pretty solid things. i don't even do hearts and don't want to either. Do i regret becomming an S.T--NO. but i'm older now and back then i really did not want to be an R.N. but i wish i can sit for a a few seconds.

swoop in Sacramento, California

68 months ago

rhonda said: I am 40 years old and have been a certified surgical tech for 1 year and I love it! But I must say it is a very physical job and some days I barely get my breaks and lunches. I work 3 12 hr shifts and have to take call 4 times a month, sometimes my call shift falls after my 12 hour shift and I have worked 20 hours straight, OUCH! working with many different surgeons with god complexes can be emotionally demanding, so you must be very thick skinned to deal with all this. Its a great job, I get to see inside the human body everyday that I go to work! I love helping people through surgery! I knew from the first day I stepped into the OR that this is where I belonged! My one year has had many ups and downs but I wouldn't trade any of it. If you are considering a career in this field know from the start that it is much much more than passing instruments to your surgeon and that many people just aren't cut out for the OR. If you love one on one patient care this job is not for you, working in the OR we have very little patient interaction while the patient is awake. hope this gives you some things to think about.
hi Im starting ST in nov of this year could you go into detail on what it is your job intails that would really help me out thanks

68 months ago

Hi I will be attending st school in nov of this year at western could go into detail what it is you do Im starting school at 50 from what IM reading Im not sure Im making the right choice

Drumboy56 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

68 months ago

Don't be afraid! I started my program at 52 and graduated in July. I have my first interview next week.

A standard textbook is Surgical Technology - Principles and Practice by Fuller. Maybe you want to get a used copy and start skimming through. Also check out OR-Live.com where you can watch videos of all varieties of operations and have them explained.

68 months ago

hey thanks alot I was starting to think maybe I made a mistake I will check out the info thanks again Tim

shinjitekami in Sacramento, California

67 months ago

Hi everyone! I went to school at High-Tech Institute and took the Surgical Tech program, and that was 4 years ago. My extern was at Kaiser in the L&D (labor & delivery) Department. It was fun I totally enjoyed it but never was offered a job! They hired my supervisors friend instead! And sinced then I have been applying to tons of places but no one ever calls! But the good news is that, I finally got a call two days ago after 4 years, from a cosmetic surgery center and got an interview today. So I am hoping they will call me back and hire me ASAP! I need a JOB! I am just irritated by some companies who don't want to give new grads a chance. How are we supposed to get our experiences as a Surgical Tech so we can better utilize our skills that we gained form our extern if no doctors are willing to give us a chance. The bad part is that I am still paying for my loan from High-Tech.

Goodluck to everyone,
Maria

67 months ago

thanks for the advice that makes me feel much better good luck
with your interview

interested Party

67 months ago

A young friend of mine - who was not a good student,only got his GED by the hardest, has not stuck to any type of job or schooling (he is now 23), thinks he wants to be a scrub tech. He is dyslectic and does not read well, and has ADHD. I'm not making this up - and would dearly love to know what the scrub tech course entails - is it difficult?

ST Student in Saint Louis, Missouri

67 months ago

I am currently attending school to be a surgical tech. It is a very difficult course and you really have to study hard and know your body parts and tools.

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina

67 months ago

Marci in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I just finished a Surgical Tech program where I live. I absolutely love it!!! The pay averages around $15 or $16 an hour, but there is usually call pay, and shift differential and other incentives. I had two small children and no money. Look up FAFSA, which is for federal aid and apply. It paid for my school for 2 years and also gave me extra money each semester (a few hundred) to help with other stuff. It is federal aid and not a loan so you do not pay it back. Look into it, it may help. Some schools also have daycare assistance if you apply in time. Good luck.

Hi Marci, Im a student in a surgical tech program at GTCC in Greensboro, NC and I was wondering if you still love what you're doing 14 months later? How long did it take you to find employment and what type of cases were you doing? And if it's not too rude of me, how much did you start out making? Thank you in advance.

67 months ago

Drumboy56 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: Don't be afraid! I started my program at 52 and graduated in July. I have my first interview next week.

A standard textbook is Surgical Technology - Principles and Practice by Fuller. Maybe you want to get a used copy and start skimming through. Also check out OR-Live.com where you can watch videos of all varieties of operations and have them explained.

Hello,
I am a student in a st program in Greensboro, NC and I am very curious as to what I'll be making when I start working...considering you're so close, the pay should be pretty similar. If you don't mind and if it's not too rude of me, what did they start you at? Thanks a lot.

67 months ago

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California said: No; I have my resume up on 70 sites , tried all the craigslist , employment development etc. etc. , went to the hospitals - very few will even talk in person now.... they say to send them your resume but , as you know they just ignore them if you don't have at least one year experience in a surgical setting .
What the hospitals seem to be doing is exploiting the free labor provided by the never ending stream of externs , and not offering any of them a chance for real employment . In this economy , I guess it makes perfect business sense... but as a hopeful surgical tech its hard to watch the surgeons making $800k or so a year , the nurses making over $100k while I'm here looking at $30k in debt and and a year and a half of my life invested with few prospects....knowing the more time that goes by the chances of me and my former classmates getting jobs are getting more remote....

Hi,
I'm curious, are you certified?

thebarberbuzz in Garden City, Idaho

67 months ago

I just thought I'd post this for all those who are struggling to find jobs without at least one year of experience in California. www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=ILKV&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J8B0L773D6BMMWSPLJ6

Good luck surgical techs!

Debbie del Bosque in Harlingen, Texas

66 months ago

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee said: Thank you Jill. I will contact them tomorrow. You have helped me a ton. Happy Holidays to you !

Hi Barbara I'm glad to hear you are also wanting to start a new career coming from the Business world. I have enrolled in our local college for surgical tech as well. Keep me posted and let me know how you do. I've decided to go full time to school and work part time at my current job which I'm a General Manager for. It was a tough decision but I feel it is the right one.

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

66 months ago

Don't waste your time (at least not in any of californias big cities)...a year ago there were some openings for new grads , but now there are no more. In fact, I haven't seen a job posting in all california for at least 14 months not requiring experience - the reason for this is now there are not enough openings for even the experienced techs - meaning even the entry level jobs are filled by people with years of experience not one of the grads from my accredited school over the last year has been able to get a job in the field - ANY medical job - thats over 20 qualified , perfectly capable people that have worked for many months full time doing every thing they could think of to get a job (many of which have bachelors degrees also...)- from personal contacts , connections from " placement assistance" tormenting HR and OR managers , calling , calling , going in person (don't even waste your time putting in online apps...)offering to sleep with people ...no one has a job and its basically the same with the other half dozen schools here. According to the HR manager at St. Johns hospital in Santa Ana there is probably a 5 years glut of new grad St's at this time - if no more grads are added ! They all say if you graduate start the RN program immediately as that is the only position that is still in need of people.

cstinsitu in Waxhaw, North Carolina

65 months ago

swoop in Sacramento, California said: Hi I will be attending st school in nov of this year at western could go into detail what it is you do Im starting school at 50 from what IM reading Im not sure Im making the right choice

Well, I'm 54...ha! Even though I have been running for 30 years this job is physicial. Graduated in August(09) and think I am finally getting close to a job. Your biggest challenge may be showing your instructors and those 20 somethings that you are up to it.Got your health,no problem. Besides, take a look of the mmmmmmm, body mass index of some techs currently working. Not many look like triathletes! Pace, and be smart. If you decide to heck with it,(I mean really decide not one bad day),cut your losses and hit x-ray, med tech, cardio, etc. Personally, I don't care for the hoops you have to jump for nursing school. OH, a good friend in my class is 49 so...

cstinsitu in Waxhaw, North Carolina

65 months ago

Justin Spear in High Point, North Carolina said: Hi Marci, Im a student in a surgical tech program at GTCC in Greensboro, NC and I was wondering if you still love what you're doing 14 months later? How long did it take you to find employment and what type of cases were you doing? And if it's not too rude of me, how much did you start out making? Thank you in advance.

Justin,
I finished the program at GTCC(which IS an excellent program)this summer. So far,no job. However, I did get a very positive call from HR today so ...let's hope. Don't worry about your cases, that's the instructor's problem. Get through Practicum & Microbiology first. January is when the fun starts!(got some great clinical instructors,use them).

anurse4you in Alexandria, Virginia

65 months ago

I have been a Surgical Tech for six years. I received my training form a Local Hospital in Virginia. I Love this field so much but now I want to relocate to Illinois and I am not sure I can continue to work as a Tech because I am not Certified. I am highly skilled in All Surgical Services but am not sure of what to do to become Certified and how will I pay for Certification since now I am told I have to take an Accelerated course in order to take the Exam for certification. Is there an easier way?

65 months ago

Cstinsitu,

Really? No job? That's not good to hear. Are you being told that you need experience. Btw, did the hospitals offer any students a position towards the end of the clinicals? Tony told me that he loses more students to A&P vs Micro...did Micro seem harder to you? I have a high B average in A&P so I hope Tony is right.

Thanks

65 months ago

I don't know if you make too much to get finacial aid but it pays for everything, your books, tuition and lab fees and the best part is...you don't have to pay it back.

Lin

65 months ago

I graduated MedVance a few weeks ago, no one will hire you if u arent hired on your externship. They want at least a year or 2 experience.

65 months ago

Michelle,

It all really comes down to where you live. That being said, I have noticed that the majority of grads not able to find work, tend to be on the west coast, . However, that does not mean you will. If the area you live in has been saturated with surg tech programs for several years, then obviously there is going to be a shortage of openings. Make sure that you're going to a reputable school and take advantage of your externship. This is your opportunity to shine and impress your potential employers. Always be prepared, ask questions, don't act like a know it all but have a back bone and try your best to get along with your preceptors...the OR team will be sizing you up the entire time you are there, so you want to make them feel like they will be missing out if they don't hire you...and they might just offer you a job towards the end of your clinical. As far as the pay, again, it varies from state to state. In my area, the "starting" pay is anywhere from 13.00 - 21.00 but the mid pay point is about 17.00 keep in mind you can also rack up money with your call pay. but with a little experience and drive, you can make great money. You can specialize, work for a private outpatient facility, become a first assistant or even get into management. To better you chances of success, you need to do well in school and make good grades...bc they will check to see what type of student you were, even including your attendance record, get as my recommendations as you can, know your stuff because they might quiz you on things like, instruments and what not at your interview, also use the fact that you don't have experience to your advantage...like, the fact that they don't have to break any of your bad habits. You should check out this web site www.ast.org it has a great student forum, it's very active and has a lot of feedback. just click on students on your left hand side, scroll down to online discussion board and then register...it's free. Hope this helps.

Justin

cmastro1 in Concord, California

64 months ago

What is the average pay?3

Kmd07 in Fresno, California

64 months ago

I was wondering if anyone has recently gone to school for CST and found a job out of school, I am considering going to school for this but there are alot of mixed responses on here.

Oliv H in Salt Lake CIty, Utah

64 months ago

I agree with one of the earlier comments that how much you’re able to get from your education depends on you and not on whether you attended classes online or on campus. The only thing you need to make sure is that the program you’re considering is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency. I was reading about the surgical technology degree www.stevenshenager.edu/surgical-technology-degree.html offered by Stevens-Henager College. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).

64 months ago

JRBD, hold the phone...I promise you i am not a recruiter. As a matter of fact, I am about to head to my 8:00 am mathematical measurments class. I have just done an insane amount of research on topic as this is the field i am getting into. and i reccomend the ast website because yes, you can get a lot of good info there. I don't know, maybe the job market is that bad everywhere else but lucky for me, it's not that bad here. I talk to people who have graduated last year and they seem to be doing just fine. Anyway, i'm going to be late for class.

64 months ago

I don't know if you have noticed but the healthcare field has not really been affected by this recession. Yes, that's a big number but it pertains more to jobs that are being outsourced, like big factories (Dell just closed for instance) as well as big and small companies closing all together. Personally, I don't care, the president of a major hospital in my area is a close family friend...I will have a job. Like I have said before, most of the people from my school have gotten jobs. There is a lady in my class right now that graduated from the surg program 5 years ago and is back doing nursing. She says the hospital hires new grads all of the time (why would she lie) and that they start out at anywhere from 14.00 to 17.00 hr that is pretty good for this area, considering the low cost of living. btw, I never said that job prospects were good all over NC, i am just speaking solely of where i live( great school, great hospitals) Hey, if i spent all of that money to go to school and couldn't find, i would be just as bitter as you are.

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

64 months ago

Justin, You are sadly very wrong about the recession not 'really' affecting the health care field. New grad nurses, did you hear me? RN BSNs have had a very hard time getting positions this past year. There are positions posted for nurses but hospitals don't want to spend any money on fellowships to train right now, so you need a couple years experience. Surgical tech? furgetaboutit. Hopefully your hospital president friend will be able to strong-arm HR since they are the gate-keepers. Your friend can not just plop you into the OR. There is an entire process of going through HR and then being interviewed by the unit director and sometimes, being interviewed by the OR staff and maybe even a written psychological exam called the 'battery test'. It is possible to skip all these steps and just start scrubbing, but I seriously doubt it.

64 months ago

It’s funny that you say that…I saw on the news last night, I sh.t you not- the top 5 recession proof jobs and wouldn’t you know-nursing was number one…you are just playing devil’s advocate at this point. One of my best friends along with most of her colleagues were hired with 5,000 sign on bonuses before they even finished school. As for “surg tech forget about it” Man…are you trying to tell me that it’s impossible to get a job as a new grad? I’m telling you, again, because I don’t think you’ve heard me the first 3 times I’ve said it (WHERE I LIVE ) they do hire new grads, that ‘s all I am saying. If you know your stuff and you’re confident/competent, you should be able to get a job. Especially when you know someone. I have worked in a hospital before, I know how things work. My cousin was just a supervisor of the orthopedic dept and got me a job as a cast tech without a single interview and yes, they threw me right in because like with most professions no matter how much schooling you have, you learn most everything on the job. After reading this I hope you realize that none of your arguments have had any weight. It’s as simple as this; you live in an area where they don’t hire new grads. Sucks for you but you don’t need to be so negative. And just throwing this out there but have you ever thought that you might be the problem...just a thought. Good luck with your plight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ovstampco in Huntington Beach, California

64 months ago

I have to add to these comments... in the last year and a half very few new grad surgical techs have been employed in the field , and that includes SPD (which is a lower level position) as well . There are a few pockets in the country where some grads are being hired - mostly in smaller metro areas in the southeast , midwest and northern plains states . Overall , anyone encouraging people to sign on to the surgical tech trade schools , commit 18 months of their lives to train and to get $30,000 in debt .... you are doing them a great disservice . If at best 10% of them can land a job in a remotely related field after 6 months of job searching the bottom line is its not worth the risk (except for the schools and the AST which have a great financial interest in convincing new students to persue this field...)
In my area virtually no ST new grads in the past 18 months have found jobs in any related position . This includes the best and brightest grads , many of which also hold bachelors degrees , are willing to volunteer to work free , are willing to start at a lesser position , put out tons of online and in person applications , have scheduled numerous meetings with hospital HR directors, surgery centers , private surgeons , animal clinics and even dental surgery centers - nothing comes of it . The truth is now many experienced ST's can't find new jobs and even for the most basic entry type jobs - ST's with many years of experience are overwhelming the new grads . Talk to HR directors before you take this program - they will tell you DO NOT GO into this field now. Don't listen to the posters here , don't take my word - talk to the employers FIRST you will find the truth .

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.