Surgical Techs in NEW JERSEY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 247)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

naasia in Trenton, New Jersey

73 months ago

I'm about to graduate from high school and I'm looking for a ST school to go to...but cant find one in my area and wanted to know if someone could give me a couple of suggestions. I also wanted to know if a career as a ST would really be worth it because it seems like a lot of you cant find jobs or anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California

73 months ago

naasia in Trenton, New Jersey said: I'm about to graduate from high school and I'm looking for a ST school to go to...but cant find one in my area and wanted to know if someone could give me a couple of suggestions. I also wanted to know if a career as a ST would really be worth it because it seems like a lot of you cant find jobs or anything.

#1, What type of ST do you want to become?
#2 If you want to be a ST to get a job, haha, nah, it ain't gonna happen unless you're the bomb or got connections/experience.
#3 Employers, here in CALI, say: (no) I don't want your number(no)
I don't want to give you mine and(no)
I don't want to meet you nowhere(no)
I don't want none of your time and(no).

In short, as a grad, if you have no 1 yr actual experience, no network, you get no love.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California

73 months ago

The Employer:
*"No!
I don't want no scrub,
a scrub is a grad that can't get no love from me,
hanging out on the passenger side on this online site
trying to holler at me."*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hrprofessional in Montclair, New Jersey

73 months ago

I am an independent recruiter for healthcare facilities and have been seeking experienced Surgical Technicians for a while now. I would love to give a recent graduate with some experience an opportunity - but - businesses want and need at least 2 years of experience - focused in their specialty. If anyone out there in the Northern New Jersey area is a Surgical Tech with experience in orthopedic procedures, I would love to speak with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bigragu213 in Bloomfield, New Jersey

72 months ago

I am contemplating going to Dover Business School in Clifton for ST. Has anyone gone there? If so, what did you think? They offer job placement don't they help you get a job????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nihwlmt in Lafayette, New Jersey

72 months ago

bigragu213 in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: I am contemplating going to Dover Business School in Clifton for ST. Has anyone gone there? If so, what did you think? They offer job placement don't they help you get a job????

I am a student @ Dover. This is my 2nd quarter. I definitely recommend the school as long as you are sure surg tech is what you want to do. The classes are science-heavy and a lot of work. We started with 23 in my class, and now we are down to 16....and it's only the 2nd term out of 5. Dover is very proactive about lining up interviews for recent grads....UMDNJ came to the school a few weeks ago and hired 7 of our recent grads. I researched the profession and all the schools in the area before making my decision. Dover gives you 6 months straight of clinicals...two 3-month stints, each at a different facility in the metro area. This is your "experience" that everyone is looking for. Dover grads get hired.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

nihwlmt in Lafayette, New Jersey said: I am a student @ Dover. This is my 2nd quarter. I definitely recommend the school as long as you are sure surg tech is what you want to do. The classes are science-heavy and a lot of work. We started with 23 in my class, and now we are down to 16....and it's only the 2nd term out of 5. Dover is very proactive about lining up interviews for recent grads....UMDNJ came to the school a few weeks ago and hired 7 of our recent grads. I researched the profession and all the schools in the area before making my decision. Dover gives you 6 months straight of clinicals...two 3-month stints, each at a different facility in the metro area. This is your "experience" that everyone is looking for. Dover grads get hired.

Good luck!

Also, Dover really prepares you for the National exam. CERTIFIED grads get hired and get more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Elizabeth, New Jersey

72 months ago

I have to admit, 6 months clinical is much better than 2, that's what I had, and haven't gotten hired yet, i graduated in January and I already work in a hospital as a Nursing Assistant, and when I applied for a per diem position i was told I didn't get hired because someone else had more experience than I did. Was upset, because how will i get the experience if no one hires me.

72 months ago

That's exactly why choice of school is so important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DiscouragedNewbie in Spring Lake, New Jersey

71 months ago

I just started a few weeks ago at Star Technical Institute in Lakewood, NJ. I was extremely excited about becoming a Surgical Tech until I came here. The posts on this website are very discouraging! I've read that my school sucks, the profession sucks and I won't make any money if I do somehow manage to get hired. Does anyone have anything positive to say???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nihwlmt in Newton, New Jersey

71 months ago

Something positive: go to a different school if yours is not accredited (I didn't see it listed)because you can only take the certification exam after completing an accredited program. Also, no matter where you go to school, study hard, ask questions, keep a case log when you get to practicals, and get certified!

DiscouragedNewbie in Spring Lake, New Jersey

71 months ago

They are accredited by the ACCST...Does that count for anything?

nihwlmt in Newton, New Jersey

71 months ago

"Students from CAAHEP-accredited surgical technologist and surgical assisting programs are eligible to take the NBSTSA national Certified Surgical Technologist examination and Certified First Assistant examination. Students from ABHES-accredited surgical technologist programs are eligible to take the NBSTSA national Certified Surgical Technologist examination."--ast.org

I'm sorry, but according to the above text from Association of Surgical Technologists, it has to be CAAHEP or ABHES. I realize you may lose some money, but I would withdraw. It's better than wasting the money AND your time.

Good luck

myriam in Dover, New Jersey

71 months ago

DiscouragedNewbie in Spring Lake, New Jersey said: I just started a few weeks ago at Star Technical Institute in Lakewood, NJ. I was extremely excited about becoming a Surgical Tech until I came here. The posts on this website are very discouraging! I've read that my school sucks, the profession sucks and I won't make any money if I do somehow manage to get hired. Does anyone have anything positive to say???

myriam Yes! this is the best decission I ever maked I work for a surgical center in Millburn NJ, whent to school in 2004 at 52 years old got national certified march 2005, working since. Don't get discourage. You just need a big heart and follow what is telling you. It is a hard profession like any other but the rewarding is full of joy. Don't give up or you are already a loser. IT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFULL profession.

71 months ago

nihwlmt in Lafayette, New Jersey said: I am a student @ Dover. This is my 2nd quarter. I definitely recommend the school as long as you are sure surg tech is what you want to do. The classes are science-heavy and a lot of work. We started with 23 in my class, and now we are down to 16....and it's only the 2nd term out of 5. Dover is very proactive about lining up interviews for recent grads....UMDNJ came to the school a few weeks ago and hired 7 of our recent grads. I researched the profession and all the schools in the area before making my decision. Dover gives you 6 months straight of clinicals...two 3-month stints, each at a different facility in the metro area. This is your "experience" that everyone is looking for. Dover grads get hired.

Good luck!

good for you! congratulations

71 months ago

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California said: #1, What type of ST do you want to become?
#2 If you want to be a ST to get a job, haha, nah, it ain't gonna happen unless you're the bomb or got connections/experience.
#3 Employers, here in CALI, say: (no) I don't want your number(no)
I don't want to give you mine and(no)
I don't want to meet you nowhere(no)
I don't want none of your time and(no).

In short, as a grad, if you have no 1 yr actual experience, no network, you get no love.

I just wondering if all those people that are discouraging all new techs if they will give up their jobs?

71 months ago

DO NOT GIVE UP NEW TECHS, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE. BE STRONG, LEARN, LEARN, LEARN, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, THEY ARE JOBS AVAILABLE, LOOK HARD. GOOD LUCK

yankeegurl62 in Gainesville, Florida

71 months ago

nihwlmt in Newton, New Jersey said: Something positive: go to a different school if yours is not accredited (I didn't see it listed)because you can only take the certification exam after completing an accredited program. Also, no matter where you go to school, study hard, ask questions, keep a case log when you get to practicals, and get certified!

YES!!! Make sure they are CAHEP approved, also, here in Florida, I just finished didactics, and will be starting clinicals...we have 600 hours of clinicals, and we need to have 125 surgery's of diffrents levels of experise....Our school, NFI gives you a well rounded education...you also come out with an AS degree, Plus you will be testing for the CST. 99% of the Hospitals here in Florida require that any new hires be Certified....

I'm willing to move anywhere in the country to get a job...BUT I'm staying away from the west coast...too far away from the family.

journey in Kendall Park, New Jersey

70 months ago

DISAPP LADY in Edison, New Jersey said: Spent all this money to get educated as as surg tech. Can't get hired. Most want year's experience, or rn act as tech. I really enjoyed this field and hope to get employed as one

Oh my gosh! I am in the very same position and am furious, and frustrated. I too spent a lot of money that I haven't paid back yet. I love being a srub tech, and find it to be an honorable job. I am curious to know where you attended school. I am not far from you. I live in Highlandpark, New Jersey. At one point I almost had given up searching for a position as a scrub tech, but then I said that there ust be someone who will hire a person who has not a lot of experience. I would like to stay in contact with you, if thats okay. If I can find some leadway on some info. I can share it with you. Networking is a very powerful tool.I am attending a free networking seminar of people who can help make it easier to get the positions that are available. If you are interested you can email me back at canam_65@yahoo.com

Starting New in Willingboro, New Jersey

70 months ago

Im in the same postion too. Just finished school in May and still no job. My only shot was at the hospital that I did my extern at and unfortunately they were at a hiring freeze (although they did ask me for my resume prior to me leaving) They did contact a surgery center for me and recommended me to them...but its all still up in the air. Im nervous that if it doesnt work out that that was my only shot. I really enjoyed the experience of working as a surgical tech while I was externing and really want to be a part of this fullfilling career, I just want to be given a shot.

nihwlmt in Flemington, New Jersey

70 months ago

A question for any of you who are not getting hired....Are you certified?

Grnidsurgtech in Dumont, New Jersey

70 months ago

IT WILL HAPPEN FOR YOU WHO ARE PERSISTANT!! I took a job in SPD at St. Barnabas...yeah ok...its a foot in the door. I thought my foot would be stuck waiting for an opportunity to come up!! 9 months almost I have been there...WOO HOO!!! OPENING JUST GOT INTERNALLY POSTED!!! I am all up in their face!! well not really but I do have a cheering section that is helping me out too!! I have references ready and all!! YOU have to try and get in there no matter how you do it!! SPD is not the worst thing in the world!! If you can get it take it!! Someone mentioned they attend Dover Business...that is where I went...I got the SPD job thru there...And One of the people who got hired at UMDNJ for SPD...IS SCRUBBING NOW!! IT happens people...we all just graduated in the last 6 mo or so!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

nihwlmt in Flemington, New Jersey said: A question for any of you who are not getting hired....Are you certified?

I actually did take the NCCT test in July and passed it, You have to have 150 surgeries in order to be certified. I have 95, If i was just given the oppurtunity to be interviewed than I could let them know that I can be certified within a months time.

myriam in Wharton, New Jersey

70 months ago

congratulations CST's itis the best profession in the world, a list for me, every day is a new adventure, don't give up anybody the economy is slowly getting better same is the CST's opportunities. Bravo for us!!!! BE GOOD, BE STRONG, BE PROUD

70 months ago

I just got great news today, I was offered a job at a surgery center and will be scrubbing. Im soooo excited bcs I know how difficult it is for new students to get their foot in the door. I graduated in May and have been looking for a job since then.... So I just wanted to let those of you who are feeling like they are down and out....dont give up on your dream. You can do it, I was told from a very great person...Positive things happen to positive people and whenever I was feeling like I was going no where...I just tried to keep saying that over and over in my head. So dont give up and keep on trying! Good luck to everyone!!!

70 months ago

Starting New in Willingboro, New Jersey said: I just got great news today, I was offered a job at a surgery center and will be scrubbing. Im soooo excited bcs I know how difficult it is for new students to get their foot in the door. I graduated in May and have been looking for a job since then.... So I just wanted to let those of you who are feeling like they are down and out....dont give up on your dream. You can do it, I was told from a very great person...Positive things happen to positive people and whenever I was feeling like I was going no where...I just tried to keep saying that over and over in my head. So dont give up and keep on trying! Good luck to everyone!!!

CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR NEW GREAT JOB!!

Emily Harris in Bayonne, New Jersey

70 months ago

hrprofessional in Montclair, New Jersey said: I am an independent recruiter for healthcare facilities and have been seeking experienced Surgical Technicians for a while now. I would love to give a recent graduate with some experience an opportunity - but - businesses want and need at least 2 years of experience - focused in their specialty. If anyone out there in the Northern New Jersey area is a Surgical Tech with experience in orthopedic procedures, I would love to speak with them.

I am a surgical technologist with seven years experience currently looking for a job in the central new jersey area. If anybody knows something please let me know. Thank you, Emily

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

70 months ago

dissapointed mom in Raleigh, North Carolina said: i worked in a big hospital in new jersey as a st for almost 2 years ,i just moved to north carolina 4 months ago since then i've been looking for a job i could not find one even with my experience,i will appreciate it if somebody live in the area give me an advice

I don't know how many hospitals there are in North Carolina but try a travel agency and travel within the North Carolina area until you find something. There are always options please don't give up. GOOd LUCK!!!!

Rochelle Gibbs in Charleston, South Carolina

70 months ago

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California said: Congrats on getting work. Pretty competitive down here with all the schools i hear ya. Thx for the advice.

There are a lot of hospitals in California looking for Surgical Technologists. If Central Supply is not what you want to do, don't give up or get too comfortable doing Central Supply. You have a great advantage because you have the knowledge of all the different instruments from working in the Central Supply area. I see jobs posted from hospitals in California everyday. Put your resumes in and don't just submit them follow up on them. Go to the Operating Room at the hospital where you work and talk to the OR charge nurse or OR manager. Let them know who you are, what you do and what you want to do. A lot of times we have to sell ourselves and let or approach people and speak your heart and mind and who knows you will be suprise. Good Luck!!!!!

Rochelle Gibbs in Charleston, South Carolina

70 months ago

Michelle in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: I have to admit, 6 months clinical is much better than 2, that's what I had, and haven't gotten hired yet, i graduated in January and I already work in a hospital as a Nursing Assistant, and when I applied for a per diem position i was told I didn't get hired because someone else had more experience than I did. Was upset, because how will i get the experience if no one hires me.

I really don't know all of your situation but, please don't just turn in that application and wait for them to call you. A lot of times when you put an application in you have to follow up on it. Let that Charge Nurse or Operating Room Manager know that you want that position and that you will work hard to learn as much as you can. Some people start at a Surgery Center if they can't find a job at the hospital. I understand what you are saying and it's true that we all have to start out somewhere. Just do me a favor and don't give up. Continue to study you procedure manual and instruments. I really do wish you the best of luck!!!

nihwlmt in Califon, New Jersey

70 months ago

Is it that you can't find anything available, or you're not getting hired? One or two months ago I was looking at job postings in that area (just to get an idea) because we may consider moving there in the future, and there were a few openings listed at couple different hospitals, Wake Med being one. I agree, hooking up with an agency for contract work is better than nothing (pays better, too).

miralis in Kansas City, Missouri

70 months ago

Astig in Perth Amboy, New Jersey said: Hello, Im glad theres a Forum for ST. Im a newbie too just finished this June08. I noticed we canot apply in person nowadays. All online. I went to major hospitals and wont even take my Resume+ cover letter on a neat and thick resume paper.

This SBHCS, as if the turnover in this hospital is so fast. Ive been noticing this when I was yet schooling. Anybody knows this place SBHCS?

this is saint barnabas healt care system

70 months ago

myriam in Wharton, New Jersey said: try to get a job as a nursing assistant or nurses aid. Look for any positions in the OR.if is not any try the floors or the central proccesing department. You can do that before going to school or during that time, when you graduate you apply for a transfer, time goes fast. Hope this tips help

Hi, I was reading about your post, that exctly what I did after school, I got into labor and delivery, of course you have to scrub for the c-section, but now I leave in kansas city,mo in trauma hospital, lately I'm thinking about going back to new jersey, were I leave for almost 17 years. so I thing by you, I'm sending application to every hospital in north jersey, I know is not ease I used to work for sbhcs. at kimball in lakewood, nj,

70 months ago

MichelleCST in Newark, New Jersey said: Yes I work there as a Nursing Assistant. pretty cool place

Hi, did you know if they, hiring ST at your hosital, I used to work for one of sbhcs hospital, I'm looking for job in new jersey, I leave in kansas cuity,mo but going back to jersey!!

70 months ago

Rochelle Gibbs in Charleston, South Carolina said: I really don't know all of your situation but, please don't just turn in that application and wait for them to call you. A lot of times when you put an application in you have to follow up on it. Let that Charge Nurse or Operating Room Manager know that you want that position and that you will work hard to learn as much as you can. Some people start at a Surgery Center if they can't find a job at the hospital. I understand what you are saying and it's true that we all have to start out somewhere. Just do me a favor and don't give up. Continue to study you procedure manual and instruments. I really do wish you the best of luck!!!

don't give up. go to njast.com they post jopbs there too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Someone here mentioned SBHCS...I work at St. Barnabas Medical Center in the SPD dept. I know that people see alot of job postings for them...that is because...its not ONE hospital...ITS a number of hospitals and different types of facilities...got to the web site and you will see...they have places that span from Bellville to Long Branch. Thats why so many job postings under one name.

GC in Manasquan, New Jersey

69 months ago

njast.com?? Isnt that for sleep technologists?

69 months ago

GC in Manasquan, New Jersey said: njast.com?? Isnt that for sleep technologists?

nj assoc. surgical technologists

69 months ago

GC in Manasquan, New Jersey said: njast.com?? Isnt that for sleep technologists?

excuse me its NJAST.ORG....SORRY!!!

jeremy! in San Marcos, Texas

69 months ago

surgical tech!!

jeremy! in San Marcos, Texas

69 months ago

I am taking medical asssistant classes here in San Marcos and I was wondering is their anyway that I can use my medical assistant experience to surgical tech experience?

colleen in Middletown, New Jersey

68 months ago

Has anyone attended the The School of Medical Technology in East Brunswick for Surgical Tech? If so, how did you like it and did they place you?

Darrell in Manasquan, New Jersey

66 months ago

Has anybody graduated from Dover, and obtained employment? I hear it is a good school vs star tech, you only get 2 months of clinical there. I want to go in to the field confident that I have the best education I can afford. So I can be the best tech I can be. Somebody said it was like a mini med school program.

I have read a lot of posts full of dissolution and dissuading tones. I appreciate the heads up, but I fell if it is something you went you will make it happen. Good luck to all and keep your head to the sky. What you think is what you do.

P.S. When you do get in look out for the inters be stern but fair.

J in East Earl, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

DiscouragedNewbie in Spring Lake, New Jersey said: I just started a few weeks ago at Star Technical Institute in Lakewood, NJ. I was extremely excited about becoming a Surgical Tech until I came here. The posts on this website are very discouraging! I've read that my school sucks, the profession sucks and I won't make any money if I do somehow manage to get hired. Does anyone have anything positive to say???

YES that school sucks. Its a waste of time AND money. They throw you on an extern site with minimal experience and its sink or swim. No guidance what so ever. And you go into shock when you learn they didnt teach you anything in class. Get your money back now.

Susan in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

Hello, I worked in claims office for an auto insurance company for 20 years and then they closed down their office and the nearest one was to far. I decided I wanted a change and registered with Everest Institute for surgical technician in Miami, Florida. Has anyone attended this school for the ST? Any luck in Miami getting a job as a ST? I start classes next week and I am scared to death.

65 months ago

I don't know because I'm in Jersey, but best look to u,

65 months ago

feeling sad about all the negative comments, the economy is bad FOR ANY PROFFESION now, AST's are not the exception, but please be positive, I went to school at 52 years old, 6 years ago, when people are planning their retirement already. I was so desired and focused on succeding and I did it. Language was my biggest barrier, but I did not give up. I attended Sussex County Community College. The program is excelent, the exposure into the field is agressive, because you practice in real OR's and after Graduation we all have jobs, and still happening. Maybe we can form groups, and practice. I can ask friends to join me.I like the idea already!! who want to due?

Susan in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

Thank you Myriam in New Jersey. Appreciate your response and a positive note here. I am 50 years old and starting ST classes as I explained above. Yes,I've been feeling a bit down due to most of the comments posted here. I gave this a long hard thought and decided I am going through with the course and If I don't get a position as a Surgical Tech, then I will try the sterile processing departments in hospital, etc. to get my foot in the door. I will also apply with insurance companies to work as a claims adjuster again...ugh and keep trying for the ST. I am going to give it all I got and I am not going to worry so much about this, it's making me a nervous wreck. When I do my externship,although I am a hard worker,I will bust my back end off in hopes to land a job. Thanks a again for your comments,it's given me more hope. Have a great day :)

Da king nd I in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

Hello every1,

I'm a single mother tryin to make a better future for my son and I. I have always wanted to be in the medical feild. Ive been to school for medical billing i couldnt get a job. Ive been to school for HHA worked in that feild for awhile. Has anyone one graduated from Mandl Im thinking of enrolling in there surgical tech progam. Praying that this is the right decision for Da King nd I.........

heather in Tupelo, Mississippi

65 months ago

I graduated and was hired a week later. just gotta be the best :)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.