Surgical Techs in NEW JERSEY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 247)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey

51 months ago

Okay. Well I hare applied in Nebraska, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Minnesota, South Dakota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania,South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio,Washington, Delaware,Illinois, Chicago, and many more. Believe me, If I tell you that I applied, Believe me, I applied. Its just really hard to get hired without 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fedup tech

51 months ago

Anyone has any info on MEDICAL MISSIONS???? I think that is what they are called when you go to another country with a team of medical professionals. I would be willing to pay for my own ticket and accomodation. If anyone has any info I would be most appreciative.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey said: Okay. Well I hare applied in Nebraska, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Minnesota, South Dakota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania,South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio,Washington, Delaware,Illinois, Chicago, and many more. Believe me, If I tell you that I applied, Believe me, I applied. Its just really hard to get hired without 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE.

Well CA,NY, and FL you can just forget about it. try KS,MO,KY,AR,OK,NM,WY,LA,MS,AL,OR(not to sure),and NV (not to sure). Now if you already applied to these places, call the hospitals that you have applied to or plan on applying to and ask to speak to the OR director/mgr and ask the OR director are they hiring for new CST. If you get a yes then talk to HR about your app. and go from there.

Now i don't know how long you have been out of school but keep going over your Anatomy,Medical terms, and all tools basic, ortho,cardio,and neuro.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey said: Thanks so much for the inspiration. Since I have graduated 4 months ago, I have been consistently looking for employment as a surgical tech. I must have applied to over 300 hospitals and surgery centers within NJ, NY, and Pennsylvania. I have called the hospitals, spoke to the O R managers, spoke to H R reps as well. Still nothing. I am totally disappointed with my school for they have done NOTHING to help my job search. I take my certification next month then I am going to register for R N classes. I wanted so bad to start a great career as an S T but it seems almost impossible. I am so sad about my life right now. Unemployment is almost finished. Also I am 12,000 in debt for student loans. This just gets better and better.

was about to ask you are you Certified but your not if your applying out of state like TX and TN i know there another state but you must be Certified as an ST so thats why you havent heard from any hospitals in TX. are you taking your certification with National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)???? i sure hope so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Yes. I take my certification on July 28, 2010. I have been out of school for months now. I am practicing ALL of my skills daily.

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey said: Yes. I take my certification on July 28, 2010. I have been out of school for months now. I am practicing ALL of my skills daily.

that good ur studying your keeping your self fresh.. dont worry about applying any were else tell you get you certification. i say that and i have been told this from people i have talk to from all over having that certification opens more doors. so study hard that test and i was told there are 3 different types which you may know may not know but ima just say it anyway general surgery,cardiovascular surgery, and orthopedic surgery. you could get any of the three. i know one girl she missed it by a point because she didnt go over her cardiovascular tools. well hope that helps and i wish you you all the luck on your certification.

51 months ago

Thanks DOAM in Texas. I am actually taking the NCCT test. I have all the the review materials and the study guide. An associate of mine, took the test and passed it the first time. She said The review book is actually the test. I am hoping this is true. Wish me luck. I have exactly 32 days left to study like a mad woman!!!!lol.

Surgitech207 in Middletown, New York

51 months ago

I just took and passed my NCCT certification this past Fri. Use that study guide, but some things were on it that wasn't in the guide. For instance, types of sutures for which procedures.I would say for every three questions, that were in the guide, there were one to two that weren't. Good Luck

shaner_ashley in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Crystal Pullen in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: I am going to be attending Sanford Browne Institute for Surgical Tech. Any thoughts on the school? I read some of the above comments abouyt finding employment, and it's a little discouraging.. But overall, at least i can look for a job as a MA if nothing comes of this.
I just dont want to spend all that money and get nothing in return but a large loan~!

i am addending sanford-brown institute also. the on ei am going to, you go on clinicals for almost 3 months than an externship for 3 months. usally where ever you extern at they will hire you. also on the last day of school you take a certification exam to get certified. if the place where you extern at dont hire you the school helps you find a job. they only accept 16 people for the classes because they only have 16 jobs open. i was wondering if your schol was the same?

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

I have been a certified surgical technician for 28 years. I recently changed jobs after 14 years of work at one hospital. I needed a change, and a new challenge. I was very surprised at how much the process had changed! Everything is done on-line. Very impersonal, and difficult to get a "sense" of a place being the right "fit."
With all this in mind, and after browsing this forum, one of the things I find very disturbing is how poorly people are coming across just based on spelling and punctuation errors. This may just be a forum, but it is imperative to come across as literate, educated people. Be aware of people who may be viewing these posts, and how you sound.
Just a thought from someone who has faced the changing culture of the hiring process. I mean no offense to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: was about to ask you are you Certified but your not if your applying out of state like TX and TN i know there another state but you must be Certified as an ST so thats why you havent heard from any hospitals in TX. are you taking your certification with National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)???? i sure hope so.

I have worked in Texas for 26 years and I can tell you first hand that most places do not require certification. Some places will hire, with the condition you get certified withen a year of employment. There are some hospitals that only hire certified, but they are few and far between, and usually with the condition of becoming certified.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

Jimmy in Brooklyn, New York said: I was looking at the salaries numbers on the internet, which are 5 years old but $19 sounds fair to me. I do believe that you don't get stressed because my instructors worked decades in OR and they look healthy and are very cool, and have an awesome sense of humor. I guess I can stop thinking negatively now and concentrate on the things I need to learn so I can be a valuable CST.

Can I get some more advice?
What do I really need to practice before I get to the real OR. I can use all the extra lab time with instructor at my school. I want to take advantage of that. I will start cases in the fall. Please tell me what I really need to know so I could practice and not feel stupid at the hospital. thanks

Work on your set up time. When you have stuff opened all over your table, and the patient is asleep, and its about time to count, you have to wade thru all that crap! Work on your organization of supplies, and prioritize. What will I need to do first in order to be ready to count? Also, know the steps of the procedure. If you know how a case is going to start, and all the ensuing parts, you will save yourself some grief trying to be ready and two steps ahead of the surgeon.. Good luck! It can be the greatest feeling! Been doin this for 28 years and still loving it!

51 months ago

Congratulations to you for passing your certification!!!!! What exactly did the test cover?

51 months ago

maroon in Dallas, Texas said: I have been a certified surgical technician for 28 years. I recently changed jobs after 14 years of work at one hospital. I needed a change, and a new challenge. I was very surprised at how much the process had changed! Everything is done on-line. Very impersonal, and difficult to get a "sense" of a place being the right "fit."
With all this in mind, and after browsing this forum, one of the things I find very disturbing is how poorly people are coming across just based on spelling and punctuation errors. This may just be a forum, but it is imperative to come across as literate, educated people. Be aware of people who may be viewing these posts, and how you sound.
Just a thought from someone who has faced the changing culture of the hiring process. I mean no offense to anyone.

I totally agree with everything you posted. This on line process is so impersonal. Any advice on how a new graduate can gain experience to achieve the 1 year experience that is needed to land a new job? Thanks in advance.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

While I was in school to become a surgical technician, I was working as a nurses aide at a hospital in the newborn nursery unit. I got to know the people who came in at all hours for c-sections, and the Operating Room Director. When I graduated from Operating Room Technology program, I applied for a transfer into Surgery as a C.S.T. I had taken, and passed the exam. They had 2 openings, and I was hired. A year and a half later, my husband took a job out of town. I applied at various hospitals, and was lucky to get a position at a county hospital, and learned trauma and transplants.
I have been very lucky with my career. I have never been without work as a surgical technician.
In the end, just keep applying, network, and be positive. You never know who you will run across that will guide you to that next opportunity!

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

I first started applying for out of state positions last June. I was offered a few jobs, but for part-time or per-diem work. It took me 6 months to get an offer for a full-time position. I had a great cover-letter, and strong resume.
Keep going after what you want. try not to feel discouraged. These are hard times! You can find what you want in this life.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey said: Thanks DOAM in Texas. I am actually taking the NCCT test. I have all the the review materials and the study guide. An associate of mine, took the test and passed it the first time. She said The review book is actually the test. I am hoping this is true. Wish me luck. I have exactly 32 days left to study like a mad woman!!!!lol.

Apply. Do not make passing the certification test paramount to your job search. Some hospitals do not require certification upon hire.
I would like to emphasize, and encourage all graduates of an Operating Room Technician program to apply for positions regardless of already taking the certification exam. Apply, network, get jobs in a hospital setting as aides, anesthesia tech helpers, pulling case carts, working in sterile supply. Do not listen to people who are offering advice about state requirements when they do not live in that state themselves, and they have not secured a position-so they believe it is because they are not certified.
I have 28 years of experience. I have worked in Texas, Minnesota, and Northeast.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: Well CA,NY, and FL you can just forget about it. try KS,MO,KY,AR,OK,NM,WY,LA,MS,AL,OR(not to sure),and NV (not to sure). Now if you already applied to these places, call the hospitals that you have applied to or plan on applying to and ask to speak to the OR director/mgr and ask the OR director are they hiring for new CST. If you get a yes then talk to HR about your app. and go from there.

Now i don't know how long you have been out of school but keep going over your Anatomy,Medical terms, and all tools basic, ortho,cardio,and neuro.

Are you certified DOAM? Just based on some of your posts? You come across as illiterate, and misinformed.
My point is this-there are people who are in this forum serious about the information they are seeking. Presentation is very important. I mean no offense.

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

maroon in Dallas, Texas said: Are you certified DOAM? Just based on some of your posts? You come across as illiterate, and misinformed.
My point is this-there are people who are in this forum serious about the information they are seeking. Presentation is very important. I mean no offense.

Since you stay in TX you know for new grads in order for them to get hired out here you must be CETIFIED by law!!!! So how is that misinforming peopele please let me know???? and if i was so illierate i wouldnt be geting my degree in biology so come with something a lot better then that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

I no longer "stay" in Texas. I recently moved out of state. As I said in my prior posts, some hospitals will hire S.T.'s who have not taken/passed the certification exam. I was trying to encourage people who are not certified to go ahead and apply. Many hospitals will make taking and passing the cert. exam a part of the hiring process. The hospital will allow the new graduate a certain amount of time to prepare and take the test. The hospital I left had hired many new grads who had not taken the exam.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

discouraged surgical tech in East Orange, New Jersey said: Okay. Well I hare applied in Nebraska, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Minnesota, South Dakota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania,South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio,Washington, Delaware,Illinois, Chicago, and many more. Believe me, If I tell you that I applied, Believe me, I applied. Its just really hard to get hired without 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE.

You can say that you have six month's of experience. You had clinical's for at least 6 monhs of operating room time, so that counts as experience.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

Use your clinical time as qualifying experince! You have documentation to support the cases you were involved in, and how you progressed. Use that information. You can say yes, I have experience. When you are hired on at a new place, there is an orientation process. You are not scrubbed alone, you have a preceptor with you t help you learn that hospitals policies, set-up's for cases, doctor's preferences, etc.. You have hands on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

fedup tech

51 months ago

Respectfully Maroon, I have applied to many NYC hospitals and some upstate hospitals too, and they want PAID experience. I have listed my clinical experience on my resume and I used to include the daily log/list of cases that I scrubbed in on. We were required to keep a list and have the instructor sign off on it daily, so anyone could see that I have experience. But unfortunately is was not paid experience. HR at least in NYC does not consider clinicals experience.
I am not trying to discourage anyone or be negative. I am just sharing MY experience. I try to remain hopeful because it is something that I really want, but I have to be realistic, and I think that just as your experiences are valid, so are my experiences, and the experiences of the others here.
IF your comment about giving advice was directed to me, then please allow me to state that I KNOW that the reason I have not found employment as a ST has nothing to do with certification because I AM certified. Also I have been very specific about MY experiences in NYC. I would encourage new grads to become certified because it certainly can't hurt, BUT I would tell anyone that it is never too early to start looking for a job. What have you got to loose? Don't wait until you graduate. Also, I am in agreement with you regarding certification, and I can speak from personal experience because before I was certified I was contacted by a hospital wanting to interview me for an out-of-state position. The HR person stated that I would be required to become certified within 3 months (or 6 mths I don't remember now) and that relocation assistance would be provided.
In NYC many of the ST positions are union jobs. I believe that because of this HR has to stick to the qualifications specified even if the OR director wants a person, if specific requirements are not met then HR can not consider that person for the position. If they go against the standards then the other union members can file a grievance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fedup tech

51 months ago

Maroon, also I was just wondering if the ST jobs at many of these hospitals in these other states are union jobs. I am not asking to be disagreeable but I am just wondering if things may be a little different in some of the other states.

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

fedup tech said: Maroon, also I was just wondering if the ST jobs at many of these hospitals in these other states are union jobs. I am not asking to be disagreeable but I am just wondering if things may be a little different in some of the other states.

Just wanted to know did you go to the out-of-state interview??? and what state was it in??? someone told me that 10 years ago places out-of-state was doing that a lot plus with a sign on bonus, but i know now its way different..

fedup tech

51 months ago

DOAM
No. I did not go for the interview because I could not consider the job at the time. Relocation would involve selling my apartment for a job that was contingent on passing the CST exam. If I failed the exam then I would be out of a job and probably worse off financially.
I really don't remember which state the job was located in but it was in the Midwest. Now that you mention it, they were also offering some kind of bonus. I think it was spread over three years. After the 1st year you got some money (about 500 or 1000.00 or something like that for the year) and after the second and third years you got additional money. That was about 2 years ago.

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

fedup tech said: DOAM
No. I did not go for the interview because I could not consider the job at the time. Relocation would involve selling my apartment for a job that was contingent on passing the CST exam. If I failed the exam then I would be out of a job and probably worse off financially.
I really don't remember which state the job was located in but it was in the Midwest. Now that you mention it, they were also offering some kind of bonus. I think it was spread over three years. After the 1st year you got some money (about 500 or 1000.00 or something like that for the year) and after the second and third years you got additional money. That was about 2 years ago.

I was goin to say the midwest but i didnt want to sound like a smart ass lol plus the person who had told me about the job she was offer was in the midwest too.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

When I worked in Minnesota, that hospital did have a union. I did not have to join the union, yet I still benefited from it. Now that I am back in the Midwest-20 years later-I am at a facility that does not have a union. Texas does not have unions at all for healthcare workers.
I am at a loss as to what to say in response... when I started applying last summer for jobs in the Midwest, I initially had offers for part-time positions. I could not take those offers because I have to have full-time work. I started my hunt back in June. It was not until October that I was offered a full-time position at a teaching hospital. I had a telephone interview. The Director had my resume and cover letter. That was it.
I wish everyone good luck with the job-hunting process. These are tough times. When I began thinking about a job change(I had been at last job 14 years) I thought I must be crazy! The economy had dramatically changed that Sept "09, and here I was starting a new job, relocating out-of-state, and without any prior knowledge of the area of the country I moved to! All I knew was that the hospital was a big-name place, it was up North, and a teaching facility. I felt so stuck at my job, and stuck in Texas. It was a leap of faith!
Just keep trying. Keep yourself open.

fedup tech

51 months ago

Thank you for wishing us well Maroon, and I also wish you (and everyone else) well :)

It's hard for everyone, even with 28 years of experience! So I would think that generally, it's even harder for new grads. Not impossible, but just harder in general.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I don't believe that most of us here are looking to do that, but for some of us we vent a little, some of us share our experiences, I think most, if not all of us hope that others will have some good news (it gives me hope :)) and though I am honest and tell it like it is, and some days I get frustrated, I'm not giving up my dream, and I encourage others to do the same. Be realistic, and take a detour if you must, but keep working on the dream.

Perhaps I should take up speach writing ;)

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

fedup tech said: Thank you for wishing us well Maroon, and I also wish you (and everyone else) well :)

It's hard for everyone, even with 28 years of experience! So I would think that generally, it's even harder for new grads. Not impossible, but just harder in general.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I don't believe that most of us here are looking to do that, but for some of us we vent a little, some of us share our experiences, I think most, if not all of us hope that others will have some good news (it gives me hope :)) and though I am honest and tell it like it is, and some days I get frustrated, I'm not giving up my dream, and I encourage others to do the same. Be realistic, and take a detour if you must, but keep working on the dream.

Very well said!!!!

PATRICIA COLBY in Newark, New Jersey

51 months ago

Justme in Dayton, Ohio said: I am attending Miami-Jacobs for ST. The only thing I can tell you is DO NOT ATTEND this school. This is the worst school you can go to, and they have had so many accredidation problems, they should shut it down! Dont waiste the $32000 they will charge you!

I agree, This is the worst school ever, I finished my classes almost a year ago and still havnt been placed IN CLINICALS. They dont let you practice in the lab when you are done and they will try to keep your loan money, they make you pay for a doctor and a lab coat which i didnt get either. THIS SCHOOL IS A SCAM. save yourself the money and headache because once you sign those papers you are on your own. They do not have a placement program.

mikie8865 in Sparta, New Jersey

51 months ago

Hi, I am a 44 yr old mother of 3 going back to school this Sept. I will be keeping my FT ( currently a CNA in a group home) job while attending school. I am making a career change due finances and my kids are older / more independant now allowing me this opportunity.

After reading many posts , I feel I may have a very hard time getting a ST job. I feel if I am already in a finanical funk, I will be in real trouble with school loans to pay off and no ST job.

My next question, What Hosp. or other places will hire without certification in NJ?

I have not heard anyone talk about ST position in a Vetenary hosp, Doctor's office( eye surg), Dentist or plastic surgon office.... Why not? is the pay not good ?

fedup tech

51 months ago

As far as I can tell, Doctors' offices in NYC hire LPNs, RNs and mainly medical assistants. I have been looking high and low and in 2 years I only saw a posting for a hair replacement/transplant company advertising for a ST. I applied but never heard back from them. I also heard from an agency that an eye surgery center in Nassau county wanted a ST. The agency submitted my resume even though they wanted experience. When I didn't get called for an interview I called the agency and was told that trey absolutely wanted experience. I had a dog and 2 cats and Would go to different vets and ask about jobs, and they wanted LICENSED vet techs.
I am not telling you this to discourage you because if being an ST was so bad ten I would have given up a long time ago! But just to share my experience. I can't speak for all of NYC but I've been looking for 2 years. I don't know about NJ. If you can relocate after you complete the program you may be better off. Also, I don't know where you plan to go but have you checked into accreditation? If you need more info I can provide a link. While I was at school in NYC some students tried to transfer from a NJ school because they realized that even after completing their program and getting the certificate of completion, they could not take the CST exam. If that is important to you then make sure tat the school is accredit id.
Best to you in whatever you decide.

51 months ago

fedup tech said: As far as I can tell, Doctors' offices in NYC hire LPNs, RNs and mainly medical assistants. I have been looking high and low and in 2 years I only saw a posting for a hair replacement/transplant company advertising for a ST. I applied but never heard back from them. I also heard from an agency that an eye surgery center in Nassau county wanted a ST. The agency submitted my resume even though they wanted experience. When I didn't get called for an interview I called the agency and was told that trey absolutely wanted experience. I had a dog and 2 cats and Would go to different vets and ask about jobs, and they wanted LICENSED vet techs.
I am not telling you this to discourage you because if being an ST was so bad ten I would have given up a long time ago! But just to share my experience. I can't speak for all of NYC but I've been looking for 2 years. I don't know about NJ. If you can relocate after you complete the program you may be better off. Also, I don't know where you plan to go but have you checked into accreditation? If you need more info I can provide a link. While I was at school in NYC some students tried to transfer from a NJ school because they realized that even after completing their program and getting the certificate of completion, they could not take the CST exam. If that is important to you then make sure tat the school is accredit id.
Best to you in whatever you decide.

I am going to Dover Business college and it is accredited so I can sit for my CST exam. Now I am really concerned that I won't be able to get a job when I finish school because so many ST's have not found work yet. The chances of me finding work seem really slim considering vet's use vet tech's and not much hiring at other places other than Hospitals.

I did see a opening at St. Barnabas yesterday but, I hear that they don't hire you until you have expierence , guess we don't really stand a chance !

51 months ago

Please someone tell me where they hire ST's without certification ! I have read that some Hosp. will hire without - are they hiring from within, a dept. transfer perhaps? This has me wondering , is it better to get a job in a different dept within the hosp. just to get your foot in the door ?

fedup tech

51 months ago

In me experience, in NYC experience is more important than certification. I still occassionally check out ST jobs in NJ and they don't always require certification but they want experience.
If I could get a job in a hospital, especially a union job, then I would take it becasue i believe that it would make it easier for you to transfer over into another department even if it were in another hospital as long as it was also a position covered by the same union.
If there are any spelling mistakes sorry btu i have to get ready for work.
Good luck

51 months ago

nihwlmt in Lafayette, New Jersey said: I am a student @ Dover. This is my 2nd quarter. I definitely recommend the school as long as you are sure surg tech is what you want to do. The classes are science-heavy and a lot of work. We started with 23 in my class, and now we are down to 16....and it's only the 2nd term out of 5. Dover is very proactive about lining up interviews for recent grads....UMDNJ came to the school a few weeks ago and hired 7 of our recent grads. I researched the profession and all the schools in the area before making my decision. Dover gives you 6 months straight of clinicals...two 3-month stints, each at a different facility in the metro area. This is your "experience" that everyone is looking for. Dover grads get hired.

Good luck!

Hi, I am signed up for ST this Sept. I was a undecided about this endevor, it was a toss up LPN or ST, ST won. as I was making my mind up between the two I happened to run into a ST from Dover business college ( I wonder if you are the person I spoke with in Mickey D's?) I live in Andover and You in lafayette ?

Anyway, I am glad to see that Dover is proactive with lining up interviews for students, that makes me feel a little better about attending but, I was reading about the drop out rate in your class. Why did the students drop out ? Was the reason , too much class work or was it not what they thought it was going to be ? I am a 44 yr old mom of three and working FT so, I am very concerned about my work load even though Vance insists he has confidence in me. I feel that this may be a ploy to get me in the school. Once you drop out , the school still gets the money and your stuck with paying off the loan. If i had thee choice I would quit work but, that is not an option.

If you could contact me that would be great , I would like to talk with someone who has completed the program.

51 months ago

Hi, Any one out there a complete the ST program at Dover Business College ? I would like to find out more info about the class structure , instructors, clinical and job placement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pullenspuppy in Irvington, New Jersey

50 months ago

former SB student in Little Falls, New Jersey said: SANDFORD BROWN ISELIN WILL GIVE YOU NOTHING BUT GREIF FROM THE PRESIDENT ON DOWN THE LINE THE SURG TECH FACULTY IS ATROCIOUS I HIGHLY RECOMMENDTHE PROGRAM JUST NOT THE SCHOOL IF YOUR REALLY DEDICATED DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DONT ENROLL THERE

IM REALLY REGRETTING GOING HERE! THEY ARE HORRIBLE! AND NOW LOOKING AT THE JOB STATISTICS..IM THINKING OF CHANGING FIELDS..IM GETTING MORE DEPRESSED THERE THE LONGER I AM THERE...TRYING TO LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE BUT NOT FINDING ANY LIGHT AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ST in Fort Irwin, California

49 months ago

Miltex Boy in Edison, New Jersey said: Anybody here already works in a hospital? kindly share some insights in getting hired in a place where there is hardly layoff not unless it gets closed. I want to work in a hospital but it takes too long for my name to get pulled.

I'm active duty Army in a military hospital. I work as CMS & OR Floor SGT since it's so small. Patient care is my passion. I'm currently going to school for Nursing (which I want to turn into CRNA) all paid by the gov't. As a surgical tech, I feel like we are at the bottom of the todum pole. We're pretty much the people to blame and/or the people to yell at. Sooooooo with that said, being a ST is great but don't stop there!

Loves Surgery in Clinton, Mississippi

48 months ago

I graduated from the Surgical Technology program with an A.A.S in Surgical Technology, a TC in Surgical Technology and I am a CST through the NBSTSA. The problem I see here, is that the college I attended sold us hook, line and sinker to keep this program going. Unfortunately, what they do not realize is that they are training people to leave this state because currently there are no jobs available for CST's. They(area hospitals) also DO NOT recognize your NBSTSA credentials, "they" one particular level one trauma center has said that," they regard this as part of going to school." So my question is why even go through the trouble to be certified when it apparently gets you no where? As far as my degree, right now I am so depressed about the fact that I worked my hind end off to do well in this program with the hopes of being employed by now. Not so! I feel that I have a worthless piece of paper. I am not even sure that I will renew my membership to the AST or renew my NBSTSA credentials in 4 years.
Just to put a little buzz in your ears, they are, (Hospitals and Same Day Surgery Centers) CROSS training RN's and LPN's to do the jobs that we are suppose to be doing. I am frankly furious that I have been hoodwinked into believing this career choice was wide open for us.
Note: Relocation is not an option for me. So in the end, why would I continue to do CE credits and pay for those, when I am not using my skills? I think that the AST and the NBSTSA is just a money pit at this point. JMHO : (
This is a second career for me, I am in my late 30's and do not plan on going back to school after this experience.

quofispocus in Colonia, New Jersey

48 months ago

The economic downturn has affected hospitals as well. Not to mention how many people still refuse to pay their hospital bills. The healthcare system is now overloaded and cannot afford to add more hands without justifying that there is income to cover the budget.

When I graduated from Surgical tech school in the early '90s, I had three jobs to choose from. I have earned so much over these years to be proud of being a surgical tech. The highest I ever earned was $84,000.00 working as a traveller.
It's entirely different now, because healthcare is now saturated by people who over the years changed their professions from other disciplines to enjoy job security in healthcare.

Even now I have students with Bachelors degree doing the surgical tech program. The competition is actually going to be keen because the hospitals will now decide to hire those with degrees. The healthcare economy is not as pleasant as it used to be so refrain from destroying AST and NBSTSA for it's not their fault that you don't have a job.

LPNs and RNs are now being trained in some hospitals because the hospitals do not want to lay them off. The money used to train them is almost equal to the money involved in training an inexperienced surg tech. The hospitals makes a choice.

We all hope that the economy will improve so that more money will go from businesses to healthcare, and healthcare will in turn begin large scale hiring.

It's not a DEAD END for Surgical Techs and will never be.

overseas in Satellite Provider

48 months ago

fedup tech said: Thank you for wishing us well Maroon, and I also wish you (and everyone else) well :)

If you are interested in a job, Please email me at equity.1@hotmail.com My company needs a Surgical tech that can teach others how to properly clean an OR. If you know someone else who maybe interested in working overseas, Please have them email me.
Thanks!!

kidonini@aol.com in New York, New York

46 months ago

Jay in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey said: St Barnabas Health Care System

hi my name is maritza I graduated in nyc in 2005. I did my clinical at lincoln hospital in the south bronx I worked there for 2 years to get my expirence dont give up volunter in a hospital for a list 3 months and ask to go and see how the surgical tech set up the or rooms and just help around tell the hospital you need the practice on your own time now Iam working for new york presbyterian hospital At 168stnow iam getting tain doing kidneys transplant, kidney donor, i do a litllet of each servece you have to be persistent to get what you want . now i want to move to perth amboy, woodbridge area my family is there i was wondering what is the salary for a 5 years experience in nj let me you please my salary is 45.000 a year tech1 iam still getting train iam here one year

Debbie in Toms River, New Jersey

45 months ago

I've been a CST for a very long time at the start of my career in the early 90's I worked at a hospital in Ocean County for close to 10 years before moving on to becoming a clinical co-ordinator/instructor, as well as a "traveling" tech for the past 6 years, I've worked at 2 schools in northern NJ with campuses in Jersey City, Belleville, and Bloomfield. I graduated one of the BEST tech schools in NJ,UMDNJ which is no longer in existence i'm sorry to say. The reason I left my position as an Instructor is because ALL these schools LIE to their applicants upon their sign up to the program..an example of some of the lies that these poor kids are told are
1. 100 hours is enough in their clinical experience ( I graduated with 900 hours)
2. You'll make a HUGE income when you graduate (average pay starting out is about 25-
35K)
3. Help with finding employment (never saw that happen)
When I applied to UMDNJ, they would not accept applications unless you had all pre-nursing college pre-req's ie: algebra 1&2, General Pysc., English 1&2 etc. Today only a GED is a pre-req to get into these dime a dozen schools. I'm passionate about my profession and STILL love what I do even after all these years, but i'm not surprised that my profession has taken such a drastic turn for the worst because of the schooling out there, and i couldn't be a part of the lies any longer when i was instructing my students and thats the reason I left...I could go on and on, but i'm sure all of you reading get my drift. You know what the sad part about our profession is?? Hair-dressers need a license to do hair, but Surgical Tech's who assist with the surgery, that are in the trenches, in the belly of the beast, we can ONLY be certified!

quofispocus in Newark, New Jersey

45 months ago

What's your name. I graduated at UMDNJ in 91. I'm Kofi.

kidonini@aol.com in New York, New York

45 months ago

hi my name is maritza and i graduated 2007 I'm working at NYP hospital columbia presbyterian AT 168st new york city

NINA PARKER in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

i've finished the surg tech program in mar of 2010. i have a national certification tech in surg certificate and a diploma. i just can't seem to get a job. i have gone on three different interviews. all of the employers will not give me the time of day. im just praying. i completed my externship at a very well known hospital and still cant get a job. if anyone could please give me the heads up. please! i'm working in my last field as a medical asst.

unsure if its worth it

44 months ago

i will be attending ST at LIU. Have anyone attend this program? I would love to hear your comments. I was thinking about starting in May. I all ready have a Degree in Sciences. I thought if I complete this program(ST) in short months as a full time student that I would hook up with a job. My plan is to continue getting my Degree in Sonography tech..BUT, Reading all these forms really got me feeling some doubt with ST...

Ann in Forked River, New Jersey

44 months ago

Debbie in Toms River, New Jersey said: I've been a CST for a very long time at the start of my career in the early 90's I worked at a hospital in Ocean County for close to 10 years before moving on to becoming a clinical co-ordinator/instructor, as well as a "traveling" tech for the past 6 years, I've worked at 2 schools in northern NJ with campuses in Jersey City, Belleville, and Bloomfield. I graduated one of the BEST tech schools in NJ,UMDNJ which is no longer in existence i'm sorry to say. The reason I left my position as an Instructor is because ALL these schools LIE to their applicants upon their sign up to the program..an example of some of the lies that these poor kids are told are
1. 100 hours is enough in their clinical experience ( I graduated with 900 hours)
2. You'll make a HUGE income when you graduate (average pay starting out is about 25-
35K)
3. Help with finding employment (never saw that happen)
When I applied to UMDNJ, they would not accept applications unless you had all pre-nursing college pre-req's ie: algebra 1&2, General Pysc., English 1&2 etc. Today only a GED is a pre-req to get into these dime a dozen schools. I'm passionate about my profession and STILL love what I do even after all these years, but i'm not surprised that my profession has taken such a drastic turn for the worst because of the schooling out there, and i couldn't be a part of the lies any longer when i was instructing my students and thats the reason I left...I could go on and on, but i'm sure all of you reading get my drift. You know what the sad part about our profession is?? Hair-dressers need a license to do hair, but Surgical Tech's who assist with the surgery, that are in the trenches, in the belly of the beast, we can ONLY be certified!

Hi Debbie. I just finished my externship and applying for every job out there. Do you have any advise on how we can get our resume's seen?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.