Travel Surg Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 388)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina

82 months ago

i have almost 2 yrs of experience in neuro. are there in good companies i need to apply for in traveling in nc? any help will be great. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi there, advantage RN (ask for Mylinh) RN Demand (ask for Carlos),
On Assignment (ask for Anita), Trustaff (ask for Sabrina). These are really good travel companies. They been GREAT with pay and promises. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH CROSS COUNTRY TRAVEL CORP! You'll regret it.

Tell them Deborah Freeman referred you.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Deb

Thanks a lot Deborah I really appreciate it and will let you know what happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

not so happy

82 months ago

Dana in Appleton, Wisconsin said: I have been traveling for a year and a half and have been with three different companies. I have found Aureus Medical to be a good company. They supply you with all of your pots and pan, linens and everything that you can think of including an ironing board and iron, garbage cans. You get the point. All the stuff that you really don't want to haul from location to location. Not all companies offer this. Their idea of a furnished appartment is a bed, table and couch. So call around, check things out. Also, I have found that there is no real amount of pay differences between the two different types of traveling companies.

It's true they "supply" everything but if you didn't take them...you would get paid more an hour. Also, they don't pay for your insurance, you pay for part and they pay part....you have to wait almost the entire contract before you are eligible too. Then they take a HUGE chunk out at one time to pay for the insurance, so it's at least paid a month in advance!!!! True they have quite a few assignments but the people I have talked to that have traveled with them will never again!!!! Including me!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

i only have neuro experience would a traveling company put me in a position where the employers through me in to another specialty?

shellye in Columbus, Ohio

82 months ago

ther are some hospitals that looks for neuro experience. just be honest on your skill check list with your recruiter.

Nickole Anderson in Smith Center, Kansas

81 months ago

Has anyone traveled with Medical Solutions? What was your experience?

Erin in Washington, District of Columbia

81 months ago

Medical solutions Based in FL?

81 months ago

I think they are out of Omaha, NE...is there one out of Florida?

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Ellenwood, Georgia

81 months ago

I don't think so. Look them up on the Internet. It should tell you.

maroon in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

I have been looking into different travel agancy, and I feel they are ripping off CST's. From what I have learned, the agency can supply housing, 401k, health benefits, but as far as negotiating your hourly rate-you are left up to bargaining with the different hospitals. What is that about? I thought travelers work for the traveling agency, and so the traveling agent would negotiate hourly rate. I would make much less traveling then I do now. I also learned that most hospitals prefer a certified tech, as opposed to a non-cert. and do not compensate! What the heck?Why not pay more for someone who is certified? I have spoken to my RN friends who have traveled, and they were surprised to learn of my experiences. Any comments? Thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

I think that the travel recruiter is getting more money by seeing what the hospital will pay for a traveler-skimmin off the top, and then the hospital tells the tech, I can only pay your $15.00 and hour....BS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

if travel agencies prefer certification, then those of us with the certification should be compensated. Same with hospitals. I do not understand why a person who has sought to be certified should not be monetarily compensated. RN's are compensated for having thei CNOR, although many hospitals OR's do not require for ob opportunity. But, if the RN has that certification, they are compensated.

Linda in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

taurie in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have been a nurse aide/patient care tech for 14 years.I have done it all. Hospitals,nursing homes,home health,Dr's offices,Hospice, and group homes.( making from $8 an hour to $15 an hour.) I am interested in surgical technology. I had never hear of this until a co-worker told me about his wife doing this. I thought the people who assisted the surgeons were nurses, now I know they are not.Is Medvance a good school to go to???It's 15 months, and costs $21,000.What should I look for in a surg tech school?I'm in the Nashville area,but I want to move to New York when I graduate.

I went to the Vo-Tech here in Tulsa. The cost has gone up some, but is still reasonable. I paid just over 1,000$. You have to pass a test and an interview. Started the process in Nov and didn't start school until August, but it was the best class to take in this area. Other high-priced schools have popped up in the area, but they don't offer the clinical experience you can get with the vocational school. Employers in our area will take an applicant with the vocational training over the other applicants from the high priced schools.

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Fernandina Beach, Florida

81 months ago

That's good to know.

Good Luck!

81 months ago

Has anyone worked with The Right Solutions as a Surgical Tech? Also Medical Solutions based out of Omaha, NE? I am considering signing up with 3 travel agencies and working to see who can give me the best location and pay? Has anyone worked with several agencies? Do I not tell them I am with another? How does that work? Wanting to have wisdom and learn from others mistakes if I can. Thanks!

Donavan in Washington, District of Columbia

81 months ago

You can tell them that you traveled with other agencies. They don't care about that. They will negotiate if you have the experience. I have traveled since 2004-present. I have traveled with over seven different agencies( two at the same time in 2005 in California). Assignments in the San Francisco Bay Area( San Fran, Oakland, San Jose and places in that area) and the New England area( New York, Boston, Mass, Hartford,Conn and places in that area) in my experience, pays the most.

P.S. Stay away from Phoenix, AZ. ST's(travelers) make an average $13-$15/hr. Subsidy around $1200-$1400/mo. Not worth your skillz.

Peace

81 months ago

Donavan from Washington DC...

when you traveled to California were you certified as ST or not? It seems most want certified ST and I am not, let my lapse years ago. Let me know which hospitals take travelers that are not certified...it would be great to know. Thanks!!!

81 months ago

I JUST SIGNED ON WITH CEEDAR SINAI IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA THROUGH CROSS COUNTRY AND I'M NOT CURRENTLY CERTIFIED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thanks Shellye! This encourages me because I would love to take a job in L.A. or Southern CA sometime next year possibly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

your so welcome

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa

81 months ago

Does any traveling agency take new grads at all? If so who are they.

81 months ago

No. I have never been certified. Until we are offered more money to be certified. I will be a ST.

81 months ago

No. must have a least 1yr experience. Better to have 2 or 3 to start.

81 months ago

Some of the job adds to post that there is more money connected to having the certification.

81 months ago

Thanks. I can't even get my first job! I'm still looking thought!

81 months ago

Roxie

You may have to leave Iowa to get started. Try teaching facilities. You will get good experience there. Get Level 1 trauma, as much as you can. That will sharpen your skills. Get a good 1yr - 2yrs of that, then travel.

81 months ago

Thanks for the info. I been puting apps in all over the US.

taurie in Nashville, Tennessee

81 months ago

j in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I checked out medvance, then I went to tenn. tech for about one quarter of that cost. I had no problem getting a job. I have heard of o.r. managers complain that medvance students were not as prepared those from state school.[/QUOTE
Dang, the tenn tech in Nashville does not offer surg tech.But nash state comm college does, i will check them out and see if there is a long waiting list.How's your pay, and did it take long for you to get a job?
Anyone from New york have any info to share on ST salaries and job prospects???????

Jenny M in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

shellye in Columbus, Ohio said: I JUST SIGNED ON WITH CEEDAR SINAI IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA THROUGH CROSS COUNTRY AND I'M NOT CURRENTLY CERTIFIED

Hey Shellye,

So how do you like working at Cedars-Sinai? I will be starting school in January/09 and I want to try and be able to do my externship there. Do you know if I shoud speak with anyone in particular about this?

Thanks!! :)

Jenny

81 months ago

to my knowledge, your school has affiliations with certain hospitals and you school decides where you do your externship. Externships doesn't start until 2nd semester. Get through 1st semester before thinking about externship. Talk to your intructors to see which hospitals your school are affiliated with.

81 months ago

not there yet, will start on nov 17th and you can keep in touch with me and i will let you know everything!!!! unvshelly@aol.com

81 months ago

HAVE ANYONE WORKED AT CEDAR SINAI HOSPITAL IN LOS ANGELES BEFORE? IF SO HOW WAS IT?

Jenny M in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Donavan in Washington, District of Columbia said: to my knowledge, your school has affiliations with certain hospitals and you school decides where you do your externship. Externships doesn't start until 2nd semester. Get through 1st semester before thinking about externship. Talk to your intructors to see which hospitals your school are affiliated with.

Hi Donovan,
Thanks for the heads up. I tend to get ahead of myself quite often...I have not even chosen a school yet - let alone start first semester! :)
Since I don't currently live in California (or the US for that matter), I have done all my research online so far in terms of schools, local hospitals, etc. I am trying to get a grasp on which school would be best for me, and at which Hospital or Surgery Center they will be able to place me for my externship. I think it's wise to look into this now, before I pick a school, so I don't wind up doing an externship somewhere I don't want to be (I've heard some horror stories online...awful preceptors, looong commutes, etc)
I have some campus visits set up for next month, so hopefully that will help in the decision making process.

Jenny~M

80 months ago

i have worked in neuro only do you think i can catch on to general cases quick enough to travel

Michael Catley in Howell, New Jersey

80 months ago

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi said: I am thinking about doing a few surg tech travel assignments. Has anyone done any travel surg tech ??? What are some good companies to travel with?? Thanks.

I being offered a surgical tech position in St. Thomas the Virgin Islands but my staffing agencies needs one more tech willing to go as a team if you know anyone email me at macatley@yahoo.com

unvshelly@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

80 months ago

what is the pay package?????

80 months ago

The pay is 800 and something after taxes but they need a two tech team and it's shared housing a two bedroom apartment so who ever goes has to first register with that agency.

80 months ago

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi there, advantage RN (ask for Mylinh) RN Demand (ask for Carlos),
On Assignment (ask for Anita), Trustaff (ask for Sabrina). These are really good travel companies. They been GREAT with pay and promises. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH CROSS COUNTRY TRAVEL CORP! You'll regret it.

Tell them Deborah Freeman referred you.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Deb

It's funny I had a very bad experience with cross country my honest advice to anyone is to stay faaaaar away from them. Are you on an assignment now and are u willing to go to the Virgin Islands on assignment by 12/8.

80 months ago

girl you wouldn't believe me if i told you the story!!!!! wait you worked for them so you would. just say i never started my assignment. so now looking

80 months ago

shellye in Columbus, Ohio said: girl you wouldn't believe me if i told you the story!!!!! wait you worked for them so you would. just say i never started my assignment. so now looking

I am a man but email me at macatley@yahoo.com I would love to hear your story

80 months ago

that comment wasn't for you mr. mike i was replying to a comment from debfreeman. i know that you are a man!!!!!!!!!!

80 months ago

the whole conversation is funny! thanks for telling me cross country is horrible. have heard that many times. Bless you Mr. Mike and may you find someone to travel with you soon.

80 months ago

Nickole Anderson in Smith Center, Kansas said: the whole conversation is funny! thanks for telling me cross country is horrible. have heard that many times. Bless you Mr. Mike and may you find someone to travel with you soon.

Never call me Mr. Mike again (smile)good luck.

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida

80 months ago

Nightiningales is horrible as well. The recruiters lie to you to get a contract.

Nickole Anderson in Magee, Mississippi

80 months ago

FYI-Smith Center,KS not a busy hospital.
Town is middle of no where nearest Wal- Mart 80 miles away.
Staff doesn't embrace travelers.

80 months ago

Just been through the same in Washington NC. They cancelled my contract because of racial prejudices.

80 months ago

Luci in Los Angeles, California said: which i could tell you which one is really good but just call somme that are advertiesed in the AST magazine and compare. try one call Cross country. techs i've come across use all kinds.

Do not use Cross Country or Nightingales Nurses. You will be sorry. People do and say anything to get a contract. Be careful. They care about themselves not you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

has anyone heard rumors of it being harder to get travel jobs because of the economy? That plus it being the end of the year and elective surgery going down? Looking for a another travel job for Jan. 5th.

79 months ago

Yeah, it's pretty slow. However, it should pick up around the first of January. Doc's are on vacation around this season so keep that in mind.

brenda mcfied in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

Erin in Washington, District of Columbia said: Yes With certain companies. You need to do your homework first. I work over in DC with a agency which is wonderful I have been at 3 agencies and find the benefits much better than staying staff at one place. The agency I am with is at 30-35 depending on insurance and housing an hour. But again it is location location location. Hope you find this helpful.

what agencies are you with?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.