Travel Surg Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 386)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

brenda mcfied in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

brenda mcfied in Atlanta, Georgia said: what agencies are you with?

I am thinking on traveling to DC. I would like to know the agencies u are working with in that area..

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donavan Hogan

65 months ago

Medical Express can get you to DC. I'm on assignment here in DC now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Donavan Hogan said: Medical Express can get you to DC. I'm on assignment here in DC now.

Thank you Donavan,
your name sound familiar. Have you travelled9 in the Atlanta. area or NY.I will sign up with medical express, do you mind if i use you as a reference to the company. if they find me an assignment. you get the referral $$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

alex fanroy in Cincinnati, Ohio

65 months ago

Jenny M in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Donovan,
Thanks for the heads up. I tend to get ahead of myself quite often...I have not even chosen a school yet - let alone start first semester! :)
Since I don't currently live in California (or the US for that matter), I have done all my research online so far in terms of schools, local hospitals, etc. I am trying to get a grasp on which school would be best for me, and at which Hospital or Surgery Center they will be able to place me for my externship. I think it's wise to look into this now, before I pick a school, so I don't wind up doing an externship somewhere I don't want to be (I've heard some horror stories online...awful preceptors, looong commutes, etc)
I have some campus visits set up for next month, so hopefully that will help in the decision making process.

Jenny~M

No, if you've worked as a surgical tech, all of the basic rules apply. General is among the easiest surgeries to become proficient as most of the instruments use are pretty standard.

alex fanroy in Cincinnati, Ohio

65 months ago

Dana in Appleton, Wisconsin said: It really depends on the area. I would say the range is anywhere from 18.00 to 24.00 is the norm, but take into consideration that they pay for all of your housing including utilities and insurance. I have heard of the occasional 32.00 an hour job. When I was told of that amount I was already in a contract and could not apply.

my best job so far was $27.75hr with mandatory 8 hours per week overtime (four 10 hour shifts + one 8 hour shift, but overtime was double time, + they gave a $200 per week tax free stipend. all worked out to roughly a little more than $36.50ph. sweet. But generally it's around $20 - $24.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donavan Hogan

65 months ago

Yes, I was at Emory for 9 months.

65 months ago

I new it so was I.. CVOR

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia

65 months ago

Did I work there the same time as you?

65 months ago

What's up T ? Welcome to the forum. On my way to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. They will keep you for a year, maybe longer, but I'm going to do 13 weeks at a time. Do want to get "Gilliganitis" LOL !!

65 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: Did I work there the same time as you?

yes. i was there march 06 to july 07. i stayed longer than the yr. because they could not find a CVOR tech. After my yr was up

65 months ago

Nickole Anderson in Smith Center, Kansas said: Has anyone have trouble traveling as a surgical tech without being certified? My is expired...studying to retake it by the end of the year but want a travel job in California....LA area...do you have to be Certified as a Surgical Tech?

I have been traveling since June 2004. I have never been certified. I would love to have it, but don't love the idea of spending money to get it and not make more than I'm already making. Some places require certification like most of the state of Minnesota. Place like Atlanta, New York, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, Oakland, San Francisco and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not require certification. That is just a short list of cities I've traveled to. If and/or when hospitals pay more certification, I'll be the first in line to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi there, advantage RN (ask for Mylinh) RN Demand (ask for Carlos),
On Assignment (ask for Anita), Trustaff (ask for Sabrina). These are really good travel companies. They been GREAT with pay and promises. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH CROSS COUNTRY TRAVEL CORP! You'll regret it.

Tell them Deborah Freeman referred you.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Deb

I agree. Cross Country is nothing but a pimp. Cross Country will pimp you for all they can get. Hospitals pay them, but we as travelers won't get it. Other agencies will pay $5-$10/hr more at the same location. Cross Country don't expect us to do our research. Don't be the pimped, be the pimp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida

65 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: I have been traveling since June 2004. I have never been certified. I would love to have it, but don't love the idea of spending money to get it and not make more than I'm already making. Some places require certification like most of the state of Minnesota. Place like Atlanta, New York, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, Oakland, San Francisco and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not require certification. That is just a short list of cities I've traveled to. If and/or when hospitals pay more certification, I'll be the first in line to take the exam.

I agree. I've been a tech for 19yrs. and back then it was no such thing as being certified but now its a big deal to some hospitals. You are right you don't get any more money being certified. It cost $500.00 to get it renewed. It's not worth it to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Washington DC in Manassas, Virginia

65 months ago

I work for RHS (Rich Healthcare Solutions) Rich is great very Fair and have taken over many of the companies up here. He pay around 30-35 hr. This is the Best agency I have ever worked for.

melissa anne in Surprise, Arizona

65 months ago

does anyone know anything about bryman school for surgical techs? is it good, would it be worth the $22,000 bill.

65 months ago

melissa anne in Surprise, Arizona said: does anyone know anything about bryman school for surgical techs? is it good, would it be worth the $22,000 bill.

Melissa, I paid a total of about $2100 to become a surgical tech. Just find a community college that is recognized by AST (Association of Surgical Technologists)so you will be eligable to take the certifying exam. I think Gateway Community College in Phoenix offers the surgical technology program. Check that out. $22,000 vs. $2100 for same education. Pay rate isn't decided on how much you pay for school. Do your research before you commit. It may be cheaper to go to school out of state.

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida

65 months ago

melissa anne in Surprise, Arizona said: does anyone know anything about bryman school for surgical techs? is it good, would it be worth the $22,000 bill.

No!! No one will hire you.

melissa anne in Surprise, Arizona

65 months ago

kaisertech in Windermere, Florida said: No!! No one will hire you.

how did you find that out did you go to that school? i am just trying to get all my research done on this school to see if it is worth it.

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

65 months ago

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa said: Does any traveling agency take new grads at all? If so who are they.

PPR healthcare staffing does take Allied health graduates FRESH out of school for certain facilities around the country. Not sure if ST is included in that though. May want to google and call to confirm. Despite what donovan says, there are some travel companies that will take a fresh graduate and place them in travel somewhere. There are hospitals that are pretty desperate. Not to discredit Donovan completely cause MOST hospitals do want a Qualified and EXPERIENCED traveler though and most travel companies do require a min. of 1 year exp. and some require 2-3 years experience...Best of luck to ya!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Melissa, Your far better off going to an accredited local community college and getting certified or going for the associates. You'll do better in the long run and colleges generally are looked upon better then vocational schools or what not... In addition, you could eventually go for 1st assistant and make even more money. Not to discredit those who have gone to a good vocational school and gotten certified cause I have a friend who went that route and did just fine. He told me that he wish he'd gone to a 2-year college and gotten the associates though...Best of luck to you Melissa.

Nickole Anderson in Smith Center, Kansas

65 months ago

If the school is accredited than you should be okay getting your degree and not the associates. It is up to what your vision is in the medical field. Also getting Certified right after school is the best than putting it off. You will get hired easier when you are a new grad with the Certification. As you gain years of hands on experience it is easier to get a job almost anywhere and even travel. Like Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said, if you want to further your career in the future go for a program that you can get your associates so you can go on to get your first asst. If you live in Arizona and this school is the nearest to you and works with your schedule go for it. Just set your goals and go from there...Good luck!

65 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Phoenix, Arizona said: The most I made traveling as a Surgical Technologist was in the San Francisco Bay Area and the New England Area(New York, Mass. etc.) All travelers should go. Enjoy yourself while you work.

Stay away from Banner Goog Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ. They need, but mistreat travelers.

Donavan, How did you like cali? did you like Ny better? I will say the pizza in ny is unbelievable! And don't even get me started on the cheesecake! Have you been to maine? which travel company do you use?

64 months ago

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: Donavan, How did you like cali? did you like Ny better? I will say the pizza in ny is unbelievable! And don't even get me started on the cheesecake! Have you been to maine? which travel company do you use?

I have enjoyed Cali more out of all my travel assignments. Hey, it's Cali. Me, I choose my assignments if the city has NFL, NBA, and baseball. I'll deal with the hospital when I'm there. I squeeze all the fun out of my assignments. I may be wrong, be I rate the city over the hospital. When I was in Phoenix, I did the assignment because they hosted the superbowl. I'm on my way to the Virgin Islands in January when I finish here in Washington, DC. They don't have any teams, but I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time when I'm not at the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and take it very seriously. I'm proud to be a Surgical Technologist. I'm constantly correcting RN's and others that we are Surgical Technologists, not scrub nurses, scrub techs, and ORT's. Because of that, I have decided to the certifying exam. If we get everyone to take it, we will be a step closer to becoming liscened. Surgical Techs are liscened in the state of Washington already. If we are liscened, we will make a whole lot more money. So, if you are not a member of AST, join and let's make this thing happen.

I would love to hear your comments about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Glen Masters in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: I have enjoyed Cali more out of all my travel assignments. Hey, it's Cali. Me, I choose my assignments if the city has NFL, NBA, and baseball. I'll deal with the hospital when I'm there. I squeeze all the fun out of my assignments. I may be wrong, be I rate the city over the hospital. When I was in Phoenix, I did the assignment because they hosted the superbowl. I'm on my way to the Virgin Islands in January when I finish here in Washington, DC. They don't have any teams, but I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time when I'm not at the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and take it very seriously. I'm proud to be a Surgical Technologist. I'm constantly correcting RN's and others that we are Surgical Technologists, not scrub nurses, scrub techs, and ORT's. Because of that, I have decided to the certifying exam. If we get everyone to take it, we will be a step closer to becoming liscened. Surgical Techs are liscened in the state of Washington already. If we are liscened, we will make a whole lot more money. So, if you are not a member of AST, join and let's make this thing happen.

I would love to hear your comments about this.

That is is not true, we are not liscened in the state of washington. We are registered with the state, it is totollay differnt than a liscenes. It is just a washington work tax. allso for all of you asking. T G healthcare is the company I use and am very happy with.

64 months ago

Glen Masters in Seattle, Washington said: That is is not true, we are not liscened in the state of washington. We are registered with the state, it is totollay differnt than a liscenes. It is just a washington work tax. allso for all of you asking. T G healthcare is the company I use and am very happy with.

Okay, you don't have a liscenes. For the last two years, all travel companies(AMN agencies, Cross Country, MEDStaff and a couple more) that I traveled with offered me assignments in Seattle and I was told that I had to apply for a Liscenes for that state. I said I'm not a nurse. They all responded that ST's and CST's had to be liscened to work in Washington. But, that isn't the point. The point I am trying to get across that you didn't get is that we need to be liscened. That will only strengthen our field. I'm for that and I'm pretty sure others are too.

For those who are looking for there next assignment. Stanford University has just recently opened a Children's Hospital in Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area). There is a new surgery center in Redwood City, CA, also in the San Francisco Bay Area (mins. away from Stanford), it will be mostly orthopedics. Two of the surgeons there (Dr. Phanton and Dr. McAdams) handle the sports medicine for the 49ers. There is a need in Southern FL at a Children's Hospital (must be CST).

Jeff in Lavon, Texas

64 months ago

Gotta agree with Donavan, we have all got to be members of AST to get what we rightfully deserve.

64 months ago

My man Jeff. Well ALRIIIIIIIIIGHT !!!!!!!! Let's get this paper.

Scott Walsh in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Ive been a CST for about a year and a half.I mostly do ortho. Im only 21 and im single so i figure why not travel. Do you recommend that i get a little more experience before i jump into traveling?

64 months ago

Scott Walsh in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: Ive been a CST for about a year and a half.I mostly do ortho. Im only 21 and im single so i figure why not travel. Do you recommend that i get a little more experience before i jump into traveling?

I started traveling with only 11mos of experience and been traveling ever since. I started traveling in June 2004. I would say get more experience in other services other than ortho, you seem to have that down. Hospitals expect a lot out of travelers and you may be treated like crap at some places. But if you know you stuff, that all the backup you need. Ortho is big in the. travel world. So is neuro. Learn another service before you travel. You will be more valuble.

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: I started traveling with only 11mos of experience and been traveling ever since. I started traveling in June 2004. I would say get more experience in other services other than ortho, you seem to have that down. Hospitals expect a lot out of travelers and you may be treated like crap at some places. But if you know you stuff, that all the backup you need. Ortho is big in the. travel world. So is neuro. Learn another service before you travel. You will be more valuble.

Hi Donovan
I have 2 years of neuro experience only. You said neuro is big, what traveling companies do you recommend for me. Thanks

64 months ago

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Hi Donovan
I have 2 years of neuro experience only. You said neuro is big, what traveling companies do you recommend for me. Thanks

There are hospitals that ask for neuro experience. We all should be able to scub general cases. So, I'm thinking your best chance at a travel assignment with onle neuro and general would be in pediatrics.
There is tons of neuro in pediatrics. Emory University has a good neuro program in Atlanta(try Soliant and MEDStaff, Inc. for this one).
Other agencies: Medical Express, Preferred Healthcare, Tru Staff and Clinical One. Apply to all. I have traveled with 6 companies so far. Reason for that is all agencies don't go everywhere. I want to go everywhere. I would love to have just one agency. But like I said to Scott, learn a second specialty before you travel. You don't have to, but it will help alot.

surgtech in Minneapolis, Minnesota

64 months ago

I was just wondering what the starting wages in Mississippi are for surgical Techs?

64 months ago

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi said: I am thinking about doing a few surg tech travel assignments. Has anyone done any travel surg tech ??? What are some good companies to travel with?? Thanks.

Can you tell me the starting wages for surgical techs in Mississippi??

64 months ago

surgtech in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Can you tell me the starting wages for surgical techs in Mississippi??

Starting wages for surgical Techs in Mississippi are $12-$13/hr. That's in Jackson, the state's capital. I graduated Tech school in Jackson, MS and worked there my first year. I trying to get to the Twin Cities for a travel/perminant position. If you have info about the job scene there, let me know.

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: Starting wages for surgical Techs in Mississippi are $12-$13/hr. That's in Jackson, the state's capital. I graduated Tech school in Jackson, MS and worked there my first year. I trying to get to the Twin Cities for a travel/perminant position. If you have info about the job scene there, let me know.

There is a girl I know that has been working at a hospital in Minneapolis for 2yrs...she makes $22per hour. She works with the machines that perform the surgeryies. I think Minnesota is an awsome place for surgical tech because the Mayo clinic is the best hospital in the world and it is in Minneapolis.

64 months ago

surgtech in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: There is a girl I know that has been working at a hospital in Minneapolis for 2yrs...she makes $22per hour. She works with the machines that perform the surgeries. I think Minnesota is an awsome place for surgical tech because the Mayo clinic is the best hospital in the world and it is in Minneapolis.

my bad, the Mayo Clinic is in Rochester Minnesota

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: Starting wages for surgical Techs in Mississippi are $12-$13/hr. That's in Jackson, the state's capital. I graduated Tech school in Jackson, MS and worked there my first year. I trying to get to the Twin Cities for a travel/perminant position. If you have info about the job scene there, let me know.

Thanks for the reply. Are you serious though $12-13? Why is the pay rate so low? Would it be more beneficial to work for an oral surgeon?

Jenn L in fallsington, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Are there any travel companies that have assignments outside of the US?

64 months ago

donavan do u live out of hotel rooms or are they condos...and how do u get around does the company supply you with a rental car or do u have to do that on your own?

Donavan Hogan in Alexandria, Virginia

64 months ago

surgtech in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Thanks for the reply. Are you serious though $12-13? Why is the pay rate so low? Would it be more beneficial to work for an oral surgeon?

Rate are low because that's just Mississippi. I love Mississippi, I'm a Mississippi native, but I refuse to do what we do at that rate. I'll see MS in between assignments and holidays.

64 months ago

Jenn L in fallsington, Pennsylvania said: Are there any travel companies that have assignments outside of the US?

Yes there is. Clinical One has a sister company that does overseas' assignments. Apply with clinical one and if you meet the requirements they currently have assignments in Sydney and New Zealand.

64 months ago

Scott Walsh in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: donavan do u live out of hotel rooms or are they condos...and how do u get around does the company supply you with a rental car or do u have to do that on your own?

Every assignment I've taken I've stayed in Luxury Apt. Homes except in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have relatives there, so I take the subsidy.

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa

64 months ago

I seen someone talk about going to the Virgin Islands for an assignment and was looking for another team member to go also.

Roxie in Des Moines, Iowa

64 months ago

This person is listed on page two of this site and is out of New Jersy. They have there personel email listed to contact them.I hope this helps you.

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Alexandria, Virginia said: Rate are low because that's just Mississippi. I love Mississippi, I'm a Mississippi native, but I refuse to do what we do at that rate. I'll see MS in between assignments and holidays.

I am originally from MS. I am in school right now for surgical tech, and I know that right out of school people start at $18 an hour in Minnesota. I am planning on moving back home when I finish school, but I think I'm gonna wait until I have some experience so it'll be easier to find a job in MS...

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: There are hospitals that ask for neuro experience. We all should be able to scub general cases. So, I'm thinking your best chance at a travel assignment with onle neuro and general would be in pediatrics.
There is tons of neuro in pediatrics. Emory University has a good neuro program in Atlanta(try Soliant and MEDStaff, Inc. for this one).
Other agencies: Medical Express, Preferred Healthcare, Tru Staff and Clinical One. Apply to all. I have traveled with 6 companies so far. Reason for that is all agencies don't go everywhere. I want to go everywhere. I would love to have just one agency. But like I said to Scott, learn a second specialty before you travel. You don't have to, but it will help alot.[/QUO

Thanks, Donovan
I am currently looking to get a job doing general. How do you deal with moving to different places and not knowing anyone.

64 months ago

It's easier than you think. I get along with just about anyone I meet, but other travelers at the same assignment will be easy to get to know because you are in the same boat. I now have friend all over the country. We keep in contact and talk about other assignments. You may be going somewhere that they've been already. They can tell you who is cool and who to watch out for and vice versa. When you travel, other travelers will be you family. That's how it is for me. Some will treat you better than your real family.

64 months ago

do they supply you with rental cars...and what all companies have you traveled with because ive heard some stories that you live out of a hotel room but that was with cross country

64 months ago

I've been traveling for 4.5 years now and to the best of my knowledge, if someone is staying in a hotel during their assignment, it's because they took the subsidy instead of housing. If you don't know what that is, it means they to the extra money over housing, therefore, they are responsible for their own housing. I have never been put into a hotel during a travel assignment.

64 months ago

Donavan
I really would like to talk to you. Could you possibly email me @ misse220@hotmail.com please.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.