Travel Surg Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 386)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

jeannie in Columbus, Ohio

64 months ago

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi said: I am thinking about doing a few surg tech travel assignments. Has anyone done any travel surg tech ??? What are some good companies to travel with?? Thanks.

try www.travelnursingcentral.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

Evelyn in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Donavan
I really would like to talk to you. Could you possibly email me @ misse220@hotmail.com please.

My e-mail address is dhogan_strickland@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Walsh in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

What if you have a dog...can you bring it with you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donavan L. Hogan in Alexandria, Virginia

64 months ago

Sure you can. My boy travels with two cats. Just check with whatever housing you are set up with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MAUREEN in West Tisbury, Massachusetts

64 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: I have enjoyed Cali more out of all my travel assignments. Hey, it's Cali. Me, I choose my assignments if the city has NFL, NBA, and baseball. I'll deal with the hospital when I'm there. I squeeze all the fun out of my assignments. I may be wrong, be I rate the city over the hospital. When I was in Phoenix, I did the assignment because they hosted the superbowl. I'm on my way to the Virgin Islands in January when I finish here in Washington, DC. They don't have any teams, but I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time when I'm not at the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and take it very seriously. I'm proud to be a Surgical Technologist. I'm constantly correcting RN's and others that we are Surgical Technologists, not scrub nurses, scrub techs, and ORT's. Because of that, I have decided to the certifying exam. If we get everyone to take it, we will be a step closer to becoming liscened. Surgical Techs are liscened in the state of Washington already. If we are liscened, we will make a whole lot more money. So, if you are not a member of AST, join and let's make this thing happen.

I would love to hear your comments about this.

I DID SEE AN ADD FOR A TECH IN ST.THOMAS TRAVELING AND IT SAID THE PAY WAS 6.00 AN HOUR . HOW COULD THAT BE ? COULD YOU TELL ME APP. WHAT YOU MAKE? MUST BE FUN ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER. WHO DO YOU WORK FOR . THANKS MAUREEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donavan Hogan

64 months ago

6.00/hr is too low. The pay there is lower than the Continental U.S. Tru Staff will combine your pay and housing together that will add up to $27-$30/hr. After housing is deducted, you will be making about $14-$15/hr. Just look at it as a paid vacation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MAUREEN in West Tisbury, Massachusetts

64 months ago

thank you for getting back to me. do they need first assists there?

Tori in Westminster, Maryland

64 months ago

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Acworth, Georgia said: I agree, get as much experience as possible. Hospitals will not train travelers on the job. When you're ready I have some excellent travel company referals. I work with 10 of them all the time.

Deb

Deb,
I am a traveler with over 30 years of experience. I have tried and tried to get into GA and have been told time and time again that the Atlanta Metro Area only does local. I do Open Heart and L and D, cureently I am interested in First Assisting which I have been awayu from for 3 years since most travel jobs amke you do it but do not assign you as such. I am very interested in Womens and children and L/D. I do everything buy ears my spec has been neuro/ neuro-spine/endo-vascular/ advance laproscopic. I have been a 1st Assist for vascular, chest, and neuro.
I want to relocated to GA but first need a travel assignment to get there. Looking for a smaller community hospital rather then large teaching hospital. I like the Weekender or Baylor Program, also like 11a to 7pm or 9a to 9p.

Thanks
Tori

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

juliek68 in Lincoln, Nebraska

64 months ago

doris in Jackson, Mississippi said: hi cyndy, i need info on how to get in the CST field ,also a non-violent felony, now living in greenville, ms . please e-mail me at djpowell55@excite.com help!!! Thank doris

yes you u can become a cst with a felony. also you can use the pell grant if you need to.

tshsurgery63 in San Diego, California

64 months ago

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi said: I am thinking about doing a few surg tech travel assignments. Has anyone done any travel surg tech ??? What are some good companies to travel with?? Thanks.

Aureus out of NE
Nightingale out of Boca Raton

If you do sign up for either of them, drop my name...
Tamara Harris

If you want to get the in and outs of traveling, send me and e-mail and we can chat.

tsharris63@gmail.com

It took me taking different assignments to realize I was missing out on alot of money.

Talk soon

Tamara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

shellye in Columbus, Ohio said: IF YOU GO UNDER HEALTHCARETRAVELERS.COM IT WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF COMPANIES, MY COMPANY IS SUPPLEMENTAL HEALTHCARE, BUT PLAN ON LEAVING, GREAT ON TIME PAY BUT TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HEARD AUREUS, MEDSTAFF,CORE MEDICAL, AND LIQUID AGENT IS GREAT COMPANIES.

Aureus is great if you have personal payroll experience. I was with them years ago and screwed me out of alot of money.

I decided to take a chance with them again in a current assignment and now I know why I said I'd never go back.

64 months ago

Aprell in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I'm looking into traveling @ the end of the year and I'm a little weary. I guess because its a change and I want to make sure I do everything right and not be screwed. Can anybody give me any pointers? The DO's and Don't's of finding the right agency for me? I want this to be a great experience for me and my family, plus I hear the money is good. Any advice?

I have some info for you. Been with the best and the worst.

Send me an e-mail and we can chat.

tsharris63@gmail.com

Tamara

viqueen in Rock Hill, South Carolina

63 months ago

Michael Catley in Howell, New Jersey said: I being offered a surgical tech position in St. Thomas the Virgin Islands but my staffing agencies needs one more tech willing to go as a team if you know anyone email me at macatley@yahoo.com

What company did you go through to get that surg tech offer on st.thomas

Paige Z in Manassas, Virginia

63 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Onward Healthcare out of MD/DC? I have a friend who has spoken with reps but he has never actually been on assignment with them. Just trying to cover all of my bases :o)

Erin M in Waldorf, Maryland

63 months ago

No I have not heard of onward health. The 2 I have worked with in MD/ DC area are Rich Healthcare Solutions....Which I absolutly love. Rich ( the owner) is a..I Mean THE greatest guy to work for. Also Contemporary Nursing solutions. Also great just not as thorough.

63 months ago

Thanks Erin :o) I'll be sure to check both out!

63 months ago

I meant to put this in my previous post...where all have you been? and what advice can you give?

Erin in Washington DC in Waldorf, Maryland

63 months ago

Childrens, andrews airforce base, bowie surgery center, river road surgery center, Inova asc, woodburn surgery center, now at sibley.

Ummm have you been agency previously? I mean as agency you are thrown into situations that you may not be sure of but you muddle your way through. I Like agency for the simple fact No politics involved. Flex days (dont have to worry about their staff schedule), I don't need the benefits so better pay. And if I don't Like it I only have 13 weeks or so! Reasons not to....Not much of a orientation. Your expected to know and do. You will get left overs( usually docs that they don't like).

If you are put in a position your uncomfortable or a case tell them because your expected to know it and they don't know if you do or don't!

Hope that helps

Gillispie40@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

Yes, I have traveled for 4 years. Research your companies but I like have have used a lot. Healthcare staffing, NOVAPRO (Kristin Ricci, Recruiter) is my favorite. Tell her Judy Melda referred you. I'll split the bonus. It's rewarding but the best advice I can give you is do it their way, don't try to change anything. YOur only there 13 weeks. Housing is nice and it's easier if they supply the housewares. That way you don't have take all that stuff. Let me know how it goes. E-mai me Gillispie40@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

acls in Baltimore, Maryland

63 months ago

viqueen in Rock Hill, South Carolina said: What company did you go through to get that surg tech offer on st.thomas

I am a traveler with 10 years travel exp. and over 20 years or exp. I am willing to go as a team

Carlos in Macon, Georgia

63 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Washington, District of Columbia said: What's up T ? Welcome to the forum. On my way to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. They will keep you for a year, maybe longer, but I'm going to do 13 weeks at a time. Do want to get "Gilliganitis" LOL !!

I would like to ask you with what agency are you that offers scrub tech travel assignments to the U.S. Virgin Islands. Very interested in this 'cause my home town is in Puerto Rico. Let me know, OK? Thank you.

Medjewel in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Im still new to traveling and have done 6 years as a Surg Tech in Pediatrics. Ive never heard of people "teaming" up for assignments can someone tell me about it? How can you get information of traveling to VI? My recent contract was supposed to be renewed but due to the economy and budget cuts they had to cancell all of us travelers there. Now Im having a hard time finding anything due to the economy , any suggestions?

osirismoon79@aol.com in Charleston, South Carolina

63 months ago

Nickole Anderson in Smith Center, Kansas said: Has anyone have trouble traveling as a surgical tech without being certified? My is expired...studying to retake it by the end of the year but want a travel job in California....LA area...do you have to be Certified as a Surgical Tech?

hello nickole,

I know in charleston sc, you have to be certified. I just got a job at musc, and they told me the law in sc you have to have it. It's just really good to have.

63 months ago

TIM O'NEILL in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin said: WHAT EVER YOU DO, WITH ANY TRAVEL ASSIGNMENT COMPANY, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO A HOSPITAL IN RIPON WISCONSIN, THE OPERATING ROOM MANAGER IS CRAZY AND THREATEN TO SLIT THE THROAT OF AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. 4 KEY PERONNEL FROM THE SURGERY DEPARTMENT HAVE RESIGNED BECAUSE OF HER HOSTILITIES IN THE OR DEPT. SHE COMMITTED A CRIME AND THE HOSPITAL IS NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. STAY AWAY FROM RIPON MEDICAL CENTER. PASS IT ON. THE SURGEONS ARE TAKING THERE BUSINESS ELSEWHERE UNTIL SHE IS REMOVED FROM THE HOSPITAL. IT IS A DAGEROUS PLACE TO WORK.

omg! she is still working there?

mgallagher55@gmail.com in West Tisbury, Massachusetts

63 months ago

could you tell me what HSGS is? thanks so much

mgallagher55@gmail.com in West Tisbury, Massachusetts

63 months ago

could you tell me what HSGS is? thanks so much

63 months ago

I have no idea what that stands for? I just started a job at MUSC in charleston sc,and i am thinking it's not what i am looking for? I've been a cst going on 8 years. I'm thinking of a smaller hosp. Not one with 22 rooms, more like 8 rooms for me. Sorry i could not answer your question.Keep in touch! ps dont you hate when nurse's in the or say go back to school for more money. I hear that all the time. I dont want to be a nurse.

gypsy31 in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

mgallagher55@gmail.com in West Tisbury, Massachusetts said: could you tell me what HSGS is? thanks so much

Health Source Global (not sure what the last S stands for)

62 months ago

On the topic of pets: Has anyone out there traveled with a large dog? Over 100 lbs? Just curious what experiences you might have had. Want to know if I need to find a new my dog before I hit the road.

62 months ago

Oops, I meant "new home for my dog". I guess I'm more tired than I thought. Good night.

getback 2wk in Chattanooga, Tennessee

62 months ago

I,m a Surgical Tech wanting to travel to Atlanta Hospitals to learn more. I'm wanting to do some Partime or Prn. to learn the city, I'm from Chattanooga, Tenn. and was working full time at a hospital here, until I was laid off. I love helping others and do not want to look into another career at this time. I haved work in General, L&D, Ortho an Plastics, and I would love to learn Cardiovascular

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

62 months ago

Cindy in Alexander City, Alabama said: Hi, I am looking into learning more about being a travel tech. If anyone has any advice and I mean anything to help I would like that. I have been working in our hospitals Endoscopy unit for 2.5 years and I have learned alot. The doctor has send me to learn how to assist him with ERCP's. So I feel I doing pretty good. I don't have a degree if that's what I need. I do have my high school diploma. What do I need to do so I can learn more and earn more money?
Thanks!

I guess you learn on the job? I thought you have to go to school to be able to travel. I have and associate in Surgical technology, and I am certified. If you travel, you have to learn how to know how to scrub general othoro, basic stuff. I hope it works out for u. I really dont know how it really works.

62 months ago

Edwards in Asheville, North Carolina said: I am wondering is a traveling st position someone with a family can consider doing? I mean can you take the family with you? Sign for a year? Will they accomadate the whole family for housing?

I traveled as a single parent with my two teenage children for 4 years. We homeschooled, and it was a fantastic learning experience for them. It is great to have your family with you although not all companies will be willing to accomidate you with the extra space. My company always provided me with a two bedroom. I was lucky!

ststudent in Frederick, Maryland

62 months ago

Hi everyone! Im about to graduate from an ST program in 2 months. There are no job openings where i did clinicals...so of course i'm on the job hunt! im very interested in travelling. what company would hire a new graduate do you think? any advice would be appreciated!!

julie in Charleston, South Carolina

62 months ago

I am really not sure about the traveling agency? I think you need to have one year experience under your belt. If I were you I would apply everywhere? you sould be able to get a job. I have never had any problems getting a job.

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

62 months ago

ststudent in Frederick, Maryland said: Hi everyone! Im about to graduate from an ST program in 2 months. There are no job openings where i did clinicals...so of course i'm on the job hunt! im very interested in travelling. what company would hire a new graduate do you think? any advice would be appreciated!!

Dear ststudent,
Not so fast Julie, although your right in the sense that most Travel companies require 1-3 years experience, there are in fact Travel companies that will hire fresh Graduates. Bare in mind you will not receive Top Pay and the quality/selections of Hospitals will be limited. In addition, with the current global economic crunch, most Hospitals are cutting Agency work altogether therefore getting a job as a fresh graduate over one with experience in this kinda environment would be very difficult indeed. Your probably going to have to be pretty open to perhaps moving out of your area or even leaving state to find a job. Also, it's very important to have a knockout Resume' during these difficult time too. Best of luck to you my friend...P.S. one such company- that comes to mind- that hires fresh graduates is PPR Healthcare, however I'm not sure if they hire for ST's or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Also..if anyone knows of any ST job openings in Frederick, MD & surrounding areas..let me know....Thanks again!

62 months ago

Sibley I believe is Hiring. I am not sure how far you are willing to travel but Inova and Woodburn Surgery Center is also Hiring from what I understand. Hope this helps.

62 months ago

What/where is Sibley? thanx!!

62 months ago

Washington dc...south west dc near clara barton pkwy.

kat castillo in Mesa, Arizona

62 months ago

I would like to work in Canada. Has anyone ever went there to work? If so any advice you could give me?
Thanks,
Kat

Tani_1994 in Antioch, California

61 months ago

Donavan Hogan said: Medical Express can get you to DC. I'm on assignment here in DC now.

Hey you,
I noticed that you closed your MySpace down. I wanted to know if you knew of any medical agencies (travel assisnment ok) that hire recent Medical Assistants graduates? If so, can you email me a list of them and maybe some names of persons to contact.

Tani_1994@yahoo.com

kevin(talkofmiami)

61 months ago

What agencies will hire a new grad tech? If anyone knows can you let me know. Leave the name of the agency and the person I should conteact.

meridthb@aol.com in Bellingham, Washington

61 months ago

I am thinking of going with a travel company called 50 States Staffing. Has anyone heard of them? They seem to have a good web page, but what does that really mean? I have 18 years exp. in open heart and everything as a CST/CFA. Any good ideas for my future?? This will be my first time with a travel company and I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks, Meridith

DJOR77 in Cape Coral, Florida

60 months ago

Michael Catley in Howell, New Jersey said: I am a man but email me at macatley@yahoo.com I would love to hear your story

Hey bro, I don't have a lot of experience in surgical technology. I will be completing my externship in 6 weeks but am ready to travel and learn all I can. Would someone like myself be qualified at this time to travel?

Very disapointed in Nashville, Tennessee

60 months ago

taurie in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have been a nurse aide/patient care tech for 14 years.I have done it all. Hospitals,nursing homes,home health,Dr's offices,Hospice, and group homes.( making from $8 an hour to $15 an hour.) I am interested in surgical technology. I had never hear of this until a co-worker told me about his wife doing this. I thought the people who assisted the surgeons were nurses, now I know they are not.Is Medvance a good school to go to???It's 15 months, and costs $21,000.What should I look for in a surg tech school?I'm in the Nashville area,but I want to move to New York when I graduate.

Stay away save your money seriously this is from a 4.0 student I went for 8 months with 8 more to go . I had to get out in order to go to work and save my house .. Please find another school not this one .Seriously serious ..... Very sorry I signed up and took out a 21,000 loan .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Montgomery in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

CNS is a good travel company

mary coswell in San Jose, California

57 months ago

nope no more contracts at stanford or children's hospital there. they are cutting back. they hired too many travelers and then they all stayed. so, there are no more contracts.

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

57 months ago

Donavan Hogan in Alexandria, Virginia said: It's easier than you think. I get along with just about anyone I meet, but other travelers at the same assignment will be easy to get to know because you are in the same boat. I now have friend all over the country. We keep in contact and talk about other assignments. You may be going somewhere that they've been already. They can tell you who is cool and who to watch out for and vice versa. When you travel, other travelers will be you family. That's how it is for me. Some will treat you better than your real family.

I'm like you Donavan, I'm a people person and I get along well with people even the difficult ones. I have been employed at the VA hospital in Charleston, SC for eight years and now I'm considering leaving to travel. I make over $20 an hour. I scrub in all areas of the operating room but my speciality is CVOR and Neurosurgery. I love my job and I love what I do. I am just a little scared to leave my federal job and be dissapointed in the travel world. I am looking for a good company with top pay, good benefits, housing and all the above. Can you or anyone else help me. Thanks

Rochelle Gibbs in McClellanville, South Carolina

57 months ago

Tori in Westminster, Maryland said: Deb,
I am a traveler with over 30 years of experience. I have tried and tried to get into GA and have been told time and time again that the Atlanta Metro Area only does local. I do Open Heart and L and D, cureently I am interested in First Assisting which I have been awayu from for 3 years since most travel jobs amke you do it but do not assign you as such. I am very interested in Womens and children and L/D. I do everything buy ears my spec has been neuro/ neuro-spine/endo-vascular/ advance laproscopic. I have been a 1st Assist for vascular, chest, and neuro.
I want to relocated to GA but first need a travel assignment to get there. Looking for a smaller community hospital rather then large teaching hospital. I like the Weekender or Baylor Program, also like 11a to 7pm or 9a to 9p.

Thanks
Tori

Hey Tori, I am about to leave my Goverment job and I'm a bit leary. I am proficient in all areas of the Operating Room. I am currently on the Heart Team. I'm looking for a good company to sign up with. Can you please help me. Thanks. My email address is Rochelle_1224@yahoo.com. Again thanks.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.