Travel Surg Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (351 to 388 of 388)
Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8   

surgikate in Omaha, Nebraska

37 months ago

Alice in Pascagoula, Mississippi said: I am thinking about doing a few surg tech travel assignments. Has anyone done any travel surg tech ??? What are some good companies to travel with?? Thanks.

I don't recommend Cross Country. You get no help,no one ever answers a call, they mess with your paycheck, don't pay weekly, and don't have your back if there is a problem. I did three assignments with them, which was three too many! Try Liquid Agents or Clinical One.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

surgikate in Omaha, Nebraska

37 months ago

Debfreeman64@yahoo.com in Acworth, Georgia said: Cross Country is terrible. I've had a horrible experience with them. Stat away from Cross Country Corp.

I agree! Stay away from Cross Country!

Dana in Wichita Falls, Texas

37 months ago

I as well had a bad experience with nova pro and it is a decision of cross country.

michelle

37 months ago

I am also interested in travel CST work. I have been working as a CST for almost three years. I have ENT/OTO, Oral Maxillofacial (OMFS), Plastics, SON, General Surg, Gyn, Uro, and a bit of Neuro experience. I have also done small sports cases. I have experience with Micro cases with hand and neck and urology. I currently make $19.83 an hour at an outpatient surgery center. I do not want to go anywhere and make less than this. I also receive full benefits and they are great benefits. I have read plenty of horror stories from travel nurses to travel CST or travel PT's. I want a travel agency that is going to pay well and put me where I feel comfortable. So any advice in regards to top notch travel agencies would be greatly appreciated. Plus let me know where your favorite place was and why and I would really like to know which agency pays the best. Don't be shy about your information please. Thank you Michelle Johnson CST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

I dont know if this is a silly question, but are there any companies that allow you to have pets?

Janice in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Does anyone know if there are companies that allow you to have pets?

Certified CVOR in Racine, Wisconsin

36 months ago

I'm thinking about traveling and curious to know if my speciality is needed in the travel industry... I have 4 yrs of extensive experience in open heart,thoracic surgery,and vascular procedures. My open heart experience includes on/off pump cabg, multiple valve replacements, atrial septal defect repairs,ascending aorta repair, complete and semi arch repair with head vessel reimplantion.ect..Thoracic includes; descending aortic repair w/ inferior/superior kidneys reimplantment of renal arteries,wedge and lob resections of lungs via thoracoscopy or thoracotomy. As far as vascular procedures pretty much anything and everything. Fem distals,Fem pops,Fem Fem. Aortal bi Fem,AAA,carotid endartectomy,carotid to subclavian bypass, AV fistulas. All of my experience is in this speciality. I was fortunate to get a job offer to be on a Heart team right out of school.

eeshie9 in Charlottesville, Virginia

36 months ago

There is a huge need for this in the travel field. And it makes you very marketable. If you are interested in some good companies, I can give you a few with great recruiters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Certified CVOR in Racine, Wisconsin

36 months ago

eeshie9 in Charlottesville, Virginia said: There is a huge need for this in the travel field. And it makes you very marketable. If you are interested in some good companies, I can give you a few with great recruiters.

That would be great! I'm in the beginners process of trying to figure what this is all about. I have really no clue to expect. Thank you!

tdomond

36 months ago

I just graduated and I have taken my certification and passed, I'm in georgia and I am having a hard time finding work and I am considering being a traveling CST, but I notice everyone saying you need at least 1yr of experience. Doesn't my clinicals time count as experience; which was like 7 months for me. I have done alot of L&D, GYN,and general. I've also done some vascular, plastics, and endo. Any advice as far as what good company may give me a chance

Jesse Decker in San Diego, California

36 months ago

michelle said: I am also interested in travel CST work. I have been working as a CST for almost three years. I have ENT/OTO, Oral Maxillofacial (OMFS), Plastics, SON, General Surg, Gyn, Uro, and a bit of Neuro experience. I have also done small sports cases. I have experience with Micro cases with hand and neck and urology. I currently make $19.83 an hour at an outpatient surgery center. I do not want to go anywhere and make less than this. I also receive full benefits and they are great benefits. I have read plenty of horror stories from travel nurses to travel CST or travel PT's. I want a travel agency that is going to pay well and put me where I feel comfortable. So any advice in regards to top notch travel agencies would be greatly appreciated. Plus let me know where your favorite place was and why and I would really like to know which agency pays the best. Don't be shy about your information please. Thank you Michelle Johnson CST.[/QUOT

NO Recruiter at a top notch agency will work with you based on this post. The key to being a traveler is flexibility. If you are money motivated then stay where you're at. It is very competitive and 3 years w/ no travel will put you at the top of no one's list. Lower your expectations and take traveling for what it is...an opportunity to see new places and facilities. Your housing and travel is provided so your hourly rate will not be the same as a perm position. Be realistic and good luck.

michelle

36 months ago

Jesse Decker in San Diego, California said:

I doubt that there are NO agencies that will deal with my one request. There are a ton of agencies out there. While I am sure it is competitive I am sure I will find something that will suit my needs. Yes, I agree that I need to be flexible and I am on everything else really. I fully understand that traveling is supposed to be an experience and I will take full advantage of that when I start. However, I do know that the reason most facilities take on travelers is to meet the needs of their department for certain periods of time. I also know that most of the time they pay travelers more than their permanent staff or relatively close to what they pay. We took on many travelers at the hospital that I work for and they were payed at least $2 more an hour than I was paid. So I do know that there are places out there.

katrina_tlove@yahoo.com in Memphis, Tennessee

35 months ago

Hi. I have over 15yrs exp. in the CVOR. I've been traveling for a few years and I fairly enjoy it. I'm considering a position in MO at Freeman Hospital. Does anyone know anything about there Heart program? IF anyone have info on other good travel assignments with a great recruiter, please contact me ASAP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

katrina_tlove@yahoo.com in Memphis, Tennessee

35 months ago

michelle said: I doubt that there are NO agencies that will deal with my one request. There are a ton of agencies out there. While I am sure it is competitive I am sure I will find something that will suit my needs. Yes, I agree that I need to be flexible and I am on everything else really. I fully understand that traveling is supposed to be an experience and I will take full advantage of that when I start. However, I do know that the reason most facilities take on travelers is to meet the needs of their department for certain periods of time. I also know that most of the time they pay travelers more than their permanent staff or relatively close to what they pay. We took on many travelers at the hospital that I work for and they were payed at least $2 more an hour than I was paid. So I do know that there are places out there.

Hi Michelle, The only stumbling block you'll get, is that you have no travel exp. Hopsitals are for some reason starting to shy away from first time travelers. My advice is not to so much focus on the company BUT the recruiter. Recruiters can give their company a bad rep. And also, don't be quick to dismiss a job offer if it's under the amount you want. Add up the tax-free money the company might be offering along with the pay, before you say no. If you would like to chat more, just e-mail me. I know a few companies that will try to find first time travelers not just a job, but a job that will suit them. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scrubgyrl in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

34 months ago

I am also considering traveling. My issue is I've been a tech for 9 months. I worked as a MA in a general surgeons office prior to that. I am also receiving on the job training. I want at least 2 years experience and to get certified first. The college here is not accredited so I'm in the process of finding out it their graduates are eligible to take the cert test. When I started I had spoke with our OR Educator about taking the course, but she said I've pretty much learn everything and more that I would have learned there.

I currently work at an acute care hospital. I'm on the Neuro service, but I have been on all services except heart. We do a lot of totals and hope to learn those soon. Everyone tells me I learn quickly, that I'm very adaptable, and have surpassed their expectations. Which I'm sure helps a lot while traveling. Also, I have read a lot about Scrub Techs and First Assist. At our hospital we are both. They want us trained to be able to do it all. Right now, I plan to keep learning and doing research about traveling.

Sabrina

Rindi in Youngstown, Ohio

34 months ago

I, too, am considering traveling! I have been working at the same hospital for 4 years since I graduated from tech school I am a CST and just renewed and I'm looking for a good agency. I heard there could be sneaky ones from my friend who used to travel. I have ALOT of experience in ENT (which was a specialty of mine) and ORTHO (mostly Zimmer knees) and General, not to much on the Vascular since our hospital could not supply a Dr. long enough to teach us all. I do have some basic skill of vascular though..its there lol I'm pretty well rounded, but I mostly focused on ENT and ORTHO day after day...also we do our own C-Sections at our hospital so I guess I can also include stat C-Sections in those as well. We were not a level 1 trauma so I have no experience in that. So what should I look for? And how should I go about this?

Aurora in Casper, Wyoming

33 months ago

How do you get started in a traveling program? I'm taking class to become a surgical scrub tech and when I get my degree I want to travel.

Taz71498 in Hartland, Wisconsin

32 months ago

Ok, alot of people are asking about what they need to do to travel. GET EXPERIENCE. Why are the companys looking for experienced? Because the hospitals want it. They need it. Someone they have to teach is of no use to them. Get experience in ortho, neuro and cariac if possible. More jobs and better pay. You will be put in cases and be expected to know how to do them. I have been a tech for 25yrs and have been traveling for 2. I have come across some travel techs who have come in saying they have the experience when they don't. They hospital will cancel their contract and send them on there way. They will not keep you so don't lie about what you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Columbus, Indiana

32 months ago

Agree. I have been traveling for 7 years now. I love it!

jkirsc3779@aol.com in Augusta, Maine

32 months ago

I am considering traveling as a CST once my youngest daughter graduates from High School. I graduated one year ago & began working at a small community hospital right after school. I love what I do, but went into this field with the intention of traveling. I'm worried that I will not have the necessary skills, because this is the only place I have ever worked. We do General, ENT, Vascular, Urology, Ortho, Podiatry, OB/Gyn, Neuro & Thoracic/Vascular. I do mostly General and we do some big General surgeries. I also work in the other services. I take call a lot because it gives me more exposure and experience to different cases. I love where I work and the staff. Will I be able to find travel jobs in similar community hospitals? And which travel companies are the best??

32 months ago

jkirsc3779, how well do you know ortho? You list the specialties that your hospital does but what do you do and know? Do you do the Ortho, Neuro and Thoracic cases?

32 months ago

Most days I am assigned to General(bowel resection, colectomy, cholecystectomy, hernia repair, lysis of adhesions, port-a-cath insertion & removal, etc. I also work a lot of bariatric surgeries (gastic bypass, gastic sleeve & lap bands)I tend to be the backup for neuro (laminectomy, spinal fusions , kyphoplasty, etc) We have a team that does most of the ortho during regular hours but,I pick up a lot of call which tends to be ortho,& I am becoming familiar with the different trays & systems. We also do a lot of C-sections on call. I feel like this response is longer then you asked for but I hope it helps with my original question. Thank You.

32 months ago

I don't know how long before your daughter graduates but my suggestion is get as much experience in ortho, vascular and neuro as possible. The need is greater for that and so is CV. Anyone with experience can do general. General is really not a specialty. Yes, there are jobs out there where you would only need to do the things you are able to do now but you will have more of a selection of assignments if you can do more. Think of it this way, what ever travel job you would take, you better know how to do the cases you say you can do. They will put you in a room on your own and expect you to know how to do the case. They do not teach often. There is a reason, they are short and need a body. Does that help?

32 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I still have 3 years before I even consider travel, so hopefully will get more of the ortho & neuro. Unfortunately we don't do CV.

scrubgyrl in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

32 months ago

Taz thanks for the input! This is pretty much the only forum I've come across that is primarily for ST's. I have a little under a year and just recently got moved up to a level 2 tech. I am primarily on the Neuro team. In the next year I hope to get more Ortho and CV experience, along with the Da Vinci. Most of the jobs I've looked at require min 2 years exp, especially if the tech is not certified. Yes, being on call helps a lot. We actually have a Dr. that does totals on the weekends! Hence the need to learn totals even more.

If you don't mind Taz, would you say what other things you have run into?
Thanks!!
Sabrina

32 months ago

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by run into but....let me think. You will always want to be working with at least 3 companies. Gives you more options and all the companies have different benefits. Most hospitals will want you certified so if you are not, get certified.
There are doctors and hospitals out there that do not like travelers. I have run into a few doc's. Doesn't matter how good you are, they don't care. I have run into one.
Learn to punt. If you don't know how to do a case, use the internet, use any resource you can because you will get cases you have never done before. Take notes, carry them with you everywhere you go. Never know when you would need to pull them out.
Also remember, you will be a traveler to fill a spot, not to try to change a hospital. All are different and do things differently. Learn to change even if you don't agree with their way of doing things. Nothing iritates them more when one comes in and says they should change.

Mel in Irmo, South Carolina

32 months ago

I just completed my first year as a Certified Surg Tech at a Level 1 trauma center here in Columbia, SC. I typically work second and third shifts four days out of the week. I have experience in Traumas, Ortho trauma, Ortho, General, Plastics, ENT, Peds, and I can do Neuro if the need arises. I do ALOT of Ortho, so that would be my strong point. I would like to know what my chances of being a traveler would be with one year of experience?

31 months ago

Yes, by all means Mel,if you want to be a traveler, go for it. I don't believe you would have a problem at all traveling.

Val in Kingston, New York

31 months ago

Dana in Appleton, Wisconsin said: I have been traveling for a year and a half and have been with three different companies. I have found Aureus Medical to be a good company. They supply you with all of your pots and pan, linens and everything that you can think of including an ironing board and iron, garbage cans. You get the point. All the stuff that you really don't want to haul from location to location. Not all companies offer this. Their idea of a furnished appartment is a bed, table and couch. So call around, check things out. Also, I have found that there is no real amount of pay differences between the two different types of traveling companies.

I am working with 2 travlers from Aureus Medical, and they are both happy with the company. we are in a remote area in NW CT., and they both are living in full size homes. One has a 3 br, and the other a small cottage. So, I guess the housing is whats available at the time. The hospital has a 2000 a month limit for housing. I would think in a large city you would get an apartment near the hospital.
I have worked t 2 excallent hospitals in Miami. Not as a travler. They are Baptist Hospital of Miami, a large hospital, very organized, 3 shifts, for an 19 room suite. Open heart, neuro and large ortho service. A beautiful hospital in a nice area, if anyone wants to retreat from the northern winter weather, Close to the Florida Keys, beaches, shopping etc.
The other place I worked when first starting out in the 70's is Miami Childrens Hospital. It's come a long way since then. A very rewarding place to work. Its a teaching hospital. I learned alot there, and worked along side world famous surgeons. I still remember a few patients by name. They were repeat patients with conditions that needed treating several times a year. I will never forget them. \
If an opportunity comes along to visit Miami, these two hospitals would be good choices. In SW miami, away from the city aspect of the town. Very populated.

31 months ago

Cindy in Alexander City, Alabama said: Hi, I am looking into learning more about being a travel tech. If anyone has any advice and I mean anything to help I would like that. I have been working in our hospitals Endoscopy unit for 2.5 years and I have learned alot. The doctor has send me to learn how to assist him with ERCP's. So I feel I doing pretty good. I don't have a degree if that's what I need. I do have my high school diploma. What do I need to do so I can learn more and earn more money?
Thanks!

Get yourself into a surg tech program, or even a sterile processor. No agency will hire you without a certificate. for both a tech and sterile processing, you must be certified. You may be able to get hired in central supply in a hospital willing to train you, but don't expect a huge salary. You can learn the instruments, and sterilizing, and everything in between. Check out IAHCSMM for info on Central Service.You can buy the book materials for studying while you work in a hospital. Then you can move up to the OR in thier processisng dept, or as a tech, once you finnish the program. Keep persuing! Good luck!

31 months ago

taurie in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have been a nurse aide/patient care tech for 14 years.I have done it all. Hospitals,nursing homes,home health ,Dr's offices, Hospice , and group homes.( making from $8 an hour to $15 an hour.) I am interested in surgical technology. I had never hear of this until a co-worker told me about his wife doing this. I thought the people who assisted the surgeons were nurses, now I know they are not.Is Medvance a good school to go to???It's 15 months, and costs $21,000.What should I look for in a surg tech school?I'm in the Nashville area,but I want to move to New York when I graduate.

Make sure the school you attend is accredited. some hospitals may not hire you if not. Take your certification exam as soon as you graduate. More pay for certified. Focus on a specialty you enjoy, once you figure that out. If you like big long procedures, get into Ortho, Neuro, vascualar and open heart. after a year on the job, you will know what you like. stick with it and be great at it. in a few years you can do it blindfolded! Good luck! I'm a tech for 34 yrs, doing sterile procesing, paid more now than as a tech.

31 months ago

melissa anne in Surprise, Arizona said: does anyone know anything about bryman school for surgical techs? is it good, would it be worth the $22,000 bill.

I took my course at a community college. years ago in the 70's. it was less expensive then. wow, 22,000? that seems pretty high. Check out your options. Large cities probably have a CC course.

31 months ago

michelle said: I am also interested in travel CST work. I have been working as a CST for almost three years. I have ENT/OTO, Oral Maxillofacial (OMFS), Plastics, SON, General Surg, Gyn, Uro, and a bit of Neuro experience. I have also done small sports cases. I have experience with Micro cases with hand and neck and urology. I currently make $19.83 an hour at an outpatient surgery center. I do not want to go anywhere and make less than this. I also receive full benefits and they are great benefits. I have read plenty of horror stories from travel nurses to travel CST or travel PT's. I want a travel agency that is going to pay well and put me where I feel comfortable. So any advice in regards to top notch travel agencies would be greatly appreciated. Plus let me know where your favorite place was and why and I would really like to know which agency pays the best. Don't be shy about your information please. Thank you Michelle Johnson CST.

Never worked for an agency as traveler, but if you want to work at an excellent hospital, Baptist hospital in Miami is a good choice, if they need help. 18 rooms, neuro, OH, ortho,plastics just about everything else. A good place,very busy!

zeniyah@hotmail.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Hello
I am a surgical tech currently work in L&D for almost 6 years and I'm interested in branching into a traveling position. I do not have my certification and of course is a little nervous about this process. Can you offering any advice as to companies who will hire a first time traveler? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TravelTech1 in Ocoee, Florida

22 months ago

doris in Jackson, Mississippi said: hi cyndy, i need info on how to get in the CST field ,also a non-violent felony, now living in greenville, ms . please e-mail me at djpowell55@excite.com help!!! Thank doris

With the EXTENSIVE background checks and regulations, you will not get into a program or a job in health care with a felony record.
I work with a travel RN who was declined because she had written a cold check 10 yrs ago.

Pretty Roman in Wesley Chapel, Florida

21 months ago

Upgrade Your Professional Recognition & Knowledge
with a National Certification! CST,RNFA,PA'S

TRSAS Next Preparation & Review for Certification Exam
Start July 16, 2013, August 27th & October 2nd

www.trsurgical.com

12 Of my Clients have passed in the last 2 and Half months.
Now they can bill and go on there own.

skyye in Memphis, Tennessee

9 months ago

I've been traveling for a few years now and my latest assignment was awful. I'm a cvor tech and seeking some recommended good assignments and agencies to work with. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

shawn in Memphis, Tennessee

7 months ago

katrina_tlove@yahoo.com in Memphis, Tennessee said: Hi Michelle, The only stumbling block you'll get, is that you have no travel exp. Hopsitals are for some reason starting to shy away from first time travelers. My advice is not to so much focus on the company BUT the recruiter. Recruiters can give their company a bad rep. And also, don't be quick to dismiss a job offer if it's under the amount you want. Add up the tax-free money the company might be offering along with the pay, before you say no. If you would like to chat more, just e-mail me. I know a few companies that will try to find first time travelers not just a job, but a job that will suit them. Good luck!!

Email me plea

Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.