How hard is it to get a job as a Surgical Tech right out of school/training???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

it really depends if the hospital were you are doing your extern at is looking for new techs because they plan on getting rid of a few they have now. also depends how big your class is too. i know (well at my school) the smaller class's like with 10 or less all got hired at hospitals. so it really all depends, if i were you i would ask students who attend the school your thinking about and ask them how things are going and find out if past class's have been able to find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: Don't become a certified surgical technologist! Its very hard to find a job because everyone wants experience! If you dont believe me call up some of these job postings and tell them you are a recent grad, they will tell you "NO WE WANT EXPERIENCE!"

Thats not 100% true!!! location plays a big deal too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

danajo84 in Weatherford, Texas

52 months ago

Well do you think its possible to get enough experience on your externship for that to qualify as experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Sure, if you want to take a job in the middle of nowhere then go for it but "Dana of weatherford", there are plenty of other healthcare careers to get into! 1st, its very hard to find a job (just call the local hosp, & tell them u are a new grad and listen to their response), the working hours are bad (6am to 3pm means you have to wake up real early!), work conditions are bad( physically demanding, get exposed to hep C, AIDs etc, moody surgeons, moody nurses, moody CST's who will not welcome u cause u are the new competion!) Oh, by the way I graduated frm a CAAHEP school, thnk god I had my old career to fall back on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

danajo84 in Weatherford, Texas said: Well do you think its possible to get enough experience on your externship for that to qualify as experience?

short answer is NO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: Sure, if you want to take a job in the middle of nowhere then go for it but "Dana of weatherford", there are plenty of other healthcare careers to get into! 1st, its very hard to find a job (just call the local hosp, & tell them u are a new grad and listen to their response), the working hours are bad (6am to 3pm means you have to wake up real early!), work conditions are bad( physically demanding, get exposed to hep C, AIDs etc, moody surgeons, moody nurses, moody CST's who will not welcome u cause u are the new competion!) Oh, by the way I graduated frm a CAAHEP school, thnk god I had my old career to fall back on!

WOW didnt know 6am to 3pm were bad hrs lol Z lets just say that this filed is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Dana, If I was you I would not study to be a CST. Just surf the internet, look at all the surgical tech job offers, call them up ( posing as a recent surg tech grad ) & tell them you just graduated and you are looking for a job and just listen to their response! Their answers should give you all the info you need about this profession. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THIS PROFESSION!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

If I was you I would do the nursing thing! Anyway like I said, thank god I found a job in my OLD career (one in a million chance) and it pays twice as much as a CST so everything worked out for me but I feel sorry for some of my surg tech classmates because they can't find work and they are going to get hit soon with those $230 monthly student loan payments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: WOW didnt know 6am to 3pm were bad hrs lol Z lets just say that this filed is not for you.

Hey DOAM, yes I would consider those bad hours because you would have to go to bed fairly early and wake up at 4:30 in the morning (get ready & eat breakfast etc.). Like I have already said thnk god I found a job in my old career (one in a million) and it pays twice as much as a CST and the hours are 9am to 5pm. I'm happy that I have a back up career (CST) but I wish I would have investigated it more and that is my fault. Hey DOAM, think of me when you are scrubbing in on those early morning oncall surgeries getting splashed and don't get stuck w/ a sharp! You know that will happen one day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Happy CST in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

I normally don't respond to things that I read in forums but couldn't pass up the opportunity to defend my profession. I have been a CST for almost 17 years and still love it to this day. I was trained in the military and got out and struggled to find a job at first although I had experience. After a few months I found a good job and stuck with it for 7 years and that's where my foundation was built. I won't drag this out but I have travelled across the United States and made a decent living as a scrub tech. I also started my own staffing agency that I had for 5 years. Most hospitals are willing to pay agencies between $50 -$75 an hour for techs. So if we were not needed why would the hospital pay. Also in the past 10 years as a tech I have made nothing less than six figures up to $175,000. Pulling call, working weekends, off-shifts and holidays come with the territory. Please don't let a couple of bad apples spoil a great opportunity. There are moody nurses, doctors and patients but on the flip side I have been on surgical procedures featured on Dateline and had the opportunity to fly in lear jets for organ harvests and have seen people come back from certain death in trauma cases. There are indeed occupational hazards but for someone to say that you will get stuck is crazy, maybe the chances are higher because of what we deal with on a daily basis but not guaranteed. I'm not saying that it won't be hard to find a job most externs are hired if they perform well and have a good attitude. It ultimately depends on the person and sometimes you have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone maybe relocate for a couple of years to get good experience and then go back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (128) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: Hey this is a open forum and everyone has their own opinion but the thing that has changed since u first started your career is that surg tech schools have popped up everywhere and that has saturated the job market! If someone is a career changer and needs to find work asap after CST school, their going to be in big trouble! I'm glad that everything worked out for u but that was in a different time era! Statistically u are a very rare exception when it comes to your high income. If CST is such a great career why is there such a high tunover rate. There is a reason why there are alot of hospital TV shows, that environment has 2 much DRAMA!

i wish the school you went to could give your money back to you!!!! truth be told i feel retail has way more drama hell i should know lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

You have a good point DOAM. Colleges and Tech schools are the only type of businesses in the USA who can lie about their product(a college degree) and make outrageous remarks about how good a particular program is, collect the guarenteed federal student loan money (or private student loans) then when it comes to graduation time they will shrug their shoulders and say "Hey we never made any promises". If any other type of business made promises like schools do the attorney general etc. would be investigating them. Sort of like a car salesman giving you a sales pitch on a new car, then the car you get does not have everything you were promised! Well guess what, thats fraud! Like I said I'm happy that I had my old career to fall back on (also health care related) and it pays more than a CST (but not the $175,000 that happy cst in Austin makes) and the working conditions much more pleasant. I strongly question "Happy CST in Austin" salary claims! She/He is a very rare exception if you look at the government average statistics for a CST's salary. In my opinion I would not recommend a career changer (one who needs income asap after school) to study surg tech. This is my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Happy CST in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

I realize that this is an open forum. All I am stating is the fact that there are great opportunities for CST's. I agree with the fact that not all surgeons, nurses and administration are nice. I also agree that standing for hours and hours for surgical cases can take its toll on anyone but at the same time there is a trade off. I have seen many hospitals that offer interships for surgical technicians. I agree that there are a lot of schools that offer surgical technician programs but at the same time there are hospitals that are popping up, expanding and new same day surgery centers opening every month. It takes someone who has a laid back attitude to be a surgical technician and I say this because if you take everything personally and to heart you will not last. We have a patientis life in our hands and some take it more serious than others. So it's not that all of the operating rooms are free of drama but I don't play into any of it. I also realize that at most jobs if you make $15 dollars an hour then that's what you make but being a surgical technician you can easily double your salary based on overtime and call that most hospitals require at some point. If that would be a problem for anyone thinking about a career as a surgical technician I would say that it might not be for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I understand what you are saying but what they say today may change tomorrow trust me I've seen it many times where facilities say they are not hiring new grads but when they have no choice guess what they will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Very good point but when will it "change tomorrow"? In a month, a year, 5 years from now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

It's changing now that's why so many hospitals are offering internships for surgical technicians. Again I'm not saying all hospitals but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and maybe take a job making less money to just get the experience you need. When the economy tanked I didn't know one surgical technician out of work or even have a hard time getting a job.I know about 25 surgical technicians for sure that have graduated in the past year and they are all currently employed. Now they graduated in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Green Bay and in Rapid City South Dakota if that helps any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kika123 in Tampa, Florida

51 months ago

I'm actually thinking about going for surgical tech. There is a lot of debate in this profesion, some people love it, some people hates it. I have heard of CST working in tranplant's teams making big bucks and traveling all over the states. I'm a certified pharmacy technician working at a major Hospital for the last 5 years..I'm currently making $15.80 due to my experience and time invested..I'm thinking about CST because working at a major hospital I really would like to work in the OR expecially during surgeries...I'm just affraid to jump into it because I've hear that CST start out at like $14 here in florida...I would like to go forward in pay not backwards...I also would like to know ho does the on-calls works...I just want to get a realistic idea of how much money you can make as a CST starting out with no prior experience...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

There are just a few CST's that make big bucks. The government statistics show that on the average the salary is very mediocre. If you include the strange people that you have work with (other CST's with Type A & borderline personalities;nurses also with Type A and territorial personalities; and lastly some surgeons can be rude etc.) & the bad working hours, its probably not worth it. There are other careers to pursue in healthcare. Thank God I had my previous career to fall back on (pays more, better hours, better people etc). If I was you I would study nursing but stay out of the OR room! There is a reason why Hospitals cannot find enough OR nurses or CST's, its a bad working environment. Oh, and one more thing, call up some of these CST job ads posing as a recent grad and ask them "Hey I just graduated from CST school and I am interested in the CST job opening". They will all say no we are looking for experience only. Don't believe me?, try it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Happy CST in Cedar Hill, Texas

51 months ago

I hear a lot of hear say from the posters in this forum. Hopefully with this coming straight from the horses mouth anyone thinking about a career in Surgical Technology can make an informed decision. My first job as a CST I was paid 12.80 and that was about 16 years ago. By the time I left that facility seven years later I was making about 18 dollars an hour. The call pay was $4.00 an hour. Now if you are the type of CST that doesn't want to take call or work overtime it's pretty simple to calculate your salary. What most people don't understand is the potential to make a lot of money. Take $15.00 as a starting rate that's grossing $1200.00 per pay. Take call 2 weekdays and one weekend (16 hours of call per weekday and 24 hours per day on the weekend)That's 80 hours worth of call times 4.00 per hour is an additional 320.00 per pay. With that you may end up working about twenty hours of overtime times $22.50 and that ends up being an additional $450.00. The grand total is 1970.00 which is simple to achieve even for a tech that is not very motivated. Now even making $18.00 and hour I was able to turn that into about $85,000 a year very easily without working very hard. Once I left that job I worked as a traveller and made $100,000 a year. After realizing I was being pimped by the agencies I started my own agency and worked as an independent contractor and was able to make $175,000 with myself as the only employee. There are many great jobs in healthcare so I'm not partial to CST. It takes a special person to do it but I feel like that since it has been so good to me that I must defend it against people who never put the time in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

I am a recent graduate of a CST school and it is almost impossible to find a job! All these people need to do is call these ADs and say they are a recent graduate and find out for themselves! Things are different now versus 16 years ago!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

kika123 in Tampa, Florida

51 months ago

Well I have done a little research...getting a job now days is very hard in all professions, I know people with engeneering degrees working as cashiers at local grocery store...I do not know much about CST, but you are working under a Dr license and insurance...Now if I was a surg Dr I would like to have in my team the best people as I can have because, something goes wrong and who's there to blame th Dr. I think this is why is very diffucult to get hire rigth out of school...My advice is to try to get a job in a hospital while going to school, even if it is a part-time in any department making wetever it is avaliable. Eventually people will recognize you face you will become more familiar to everyone...Me working in a major hospital as a pharmacy tech have walk into OR with fluids and solutions emergency meds etc...recently I stoped a Dr in a hallway and told Him how much I wanted to work in the OR and he was the one who recomended me the surgical tech program and even told me "once your done you will work for me"... every since I have been investigating and gathering info...Now I know base on the years of experience I have as a pharm tech in a hospital going into surg tech will be something collateral...But I will do not for the money but for the passion of working in surgeries, I do not want nor have the patient to go to school for 10 to 15 years of med school to work in surg...If later on money comes my way that will be awsome....There are a lot of people that are negative about this career and maybe they are rigth, But all I'm saying is that going to school for only 1 or 1 and a half year and getting out making $15/hour is not bad at all...remember my friend with the engenering degree working at the grocery store he is making $8.25/hour...So if you think getting a job as a CST is difficult, guess how my friend is felling after spending 4 years of his life plus school loans and NO JOB..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cthomas in Clemson, South Carolina

50 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: You have made some very good valid points however this goes back to my comment that I made a couple of weeks ago. All any potential surg tech student needs to do is to call some of the CST jobs that are listed on the internet (posing as a recent grad) and ask the hospital that is hiring "I'm a new surg tech graduate and I am interested in your open CST position". The answer they will hear is enough for them to make a decision whether it is a career for them or not!

I'm a new grad and my experience is the hosp. want at least one year experience. I don't want to get discouraged, but I know someone who graduated a year ago and still have not found employment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

47 months ago

It took my husband 3 months to find a CST job after he graduated. He applied to just about every open CST position in DFW and sent resumes to multiple surgery centers. I would guess at least 40 applications in total. After a couple months of nothing, he started applying outside of the DFW area. With lots of prayer, he got his DREAM job in the specialty he wanted in a great hospital about 100 miles from where we live. The ironic thing is that he had 2 job offers in 1 week and then he got 2 more calls for interviews after he accepted and committed to his current job. CST jobs are competitive. You must have patience and the flexibility to accept something that's not the most desirable or in the preferred location. With that being said, several of his classmates did have jobs before they even graduated, so it just depends. Most employers prefer at least 1-2 years experience, some even require it and won't accept applications from new grads. Externships do not count as experience either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

47 months ago

Z in Dallas, Texas said: I am a recent graduate of a CST school and it is almost impossible to find a job! All these people need to do is call these ADs and say they are a recent graduate and find out for themselves! Things are different now versus 16 years ago!

Wow, you sure talk a lot about a profession that you have never worked in - with the exception of your schooling, which doesn't count. Your posts are conflicting! You say "it impossible to find a CST job" and then you say "hospitals cannot find enough CSTs because of the bad working environment". I can understand your anger and frustration of not finding CST employment, but you shouldn't bash the profession... You are right, most CSTs are not going to get rich. An experienced CST is in demand, has stable employment, usually great benefits, usually great hours and no weekends. As a nurse myself I have worked many weekends, holidays, evening shifts and night shifts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daisy2 in Florida

47 months ago

Happy CST in Cedar Hill, Texas said: I hear a lot of hear say from the posters in this forum. Hopefully with this coming straight from the horses mouth anyone thinking about a career in Surgical Technology can make an informed decision. My first job as a CST I was paid 12.80 and that was about 16 years ago. By the time I left that facility seven years later I was making about 18 dollars an hour. The call pay was $4.00 an hour. Now if you are the type of CST that doesn't want to take call or work overtime it's pretty simple to calculate your salary. What most people don't understand is the potential to make a lot of money. Take $15.00 as a starting rate that's grossing $1200.00 per pay. Take call 2 weekdays and one weekend (16 hours of call per weekday and 24 hours per day on the weekend)That's 80 hours worth of call times 4.00 per hour is an additional 320.00 per pay. With that you may end up working about twenty hours of overtime times $22.50 and that ends up being an additional $450.00. The grand total is 1970.00 which is simple to achieve even for a tech that is not very motivated. Now even making $18.00 and hour I was able to turn that into about $85,000 a year very easily without working very hard. Once I left that job I worked as a traveller and made $100,000 a year. After realizing I was being pimped by the agencies I started my own agency and worked as an independent contractor and was able to make $175,000 with myself as the only employee. There are many great jobs in healthcare so I'm not partial to CST. It takes a special person to do it but I feel like that since it has been so good to me that I must defend it against people who never put the time in.

just curious what is your travel company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bre Wash in Houma, Louisiana

47 months ago

danajo84 in Weatherford, Texas said: Im thinking of going to school to be a surgical tech but am wondering how hard it is to get your foot in the door strait out of school. I have already gone to school for dental assisting and cant get a job though there are lots out there, they all want experience. I would hate to have the same thing happen with this program once im finished. Please let me know. And i live in Texas.

Well all I can say is "GOOD LUCK" 2u. B/c i'm having the same problem. I graduated 6mths ago & still i'm having no luck finding a job not 2mention i'm certified. I've applied from Louisiana to Texas w/no results. I'm not giving up though, so you shouldn't either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.R in Vancouver, Washington

44 months ago

no matter what you go to school for, you WILL run into getting hired problems. It helps to know ppl in the business and have experience. But lets say you were planning on getting a Dental or Medical asssitant degree or certificate, you'll face the same dilema. Have faith, work hard in school and make good impressions so your teachers and intern supervisors will remember you to give good reference. I am currently applying for the surgical tech program and crossing my fingers since it is a limited entry program. make sure you pick a good accredited college and not just any institution who does mass production of "certified" students with 6 months of program training. good college will get you good training and good internships. money should come with experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

ONE WORD HORRIBLE!!!! I graduated May 2010, and I'm still presently looking for a job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John Willson in London, United Kingdom

43 months ago

Don’t lose hope. Everything is possible. I also faced problems in finding a job after school. Dont forget that doctors jobs are in great demand today. There is a good agency that helped me greatly ID-Medical www.id-medical.com/. Try to address them. Hope they will help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shellyg in Berwyn, Illinois

43 months ago

Happy CST in Dallas, Texas said: It's changing now that's why so many hospitals are offering internships for surgical technicians. Again I'm not saying all hospitals but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and maybe take a job making less money to just get the experience you need. When the economy tanked I didn't know one surgical technician out of work or even have a hard time getting a job.I know about 25 surgical technicians for sure that have graduated in the past year and they are all currently employed. Now they graduated in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Green Bay and in Rapid City South Dakota if that helps any.

I am a CST thinking of going independent, as in working for hospitals as needed and getting W-2 income. You mentioned running an agency for a time. Do you think this is feasible? I don't want to hire out other techs, just myself.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I have 3.5 years experience, and I am thinking of taking my first travel assignment.
Thanks for your help; I love being a CST!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Just simply take your time and research these schools carefully before you decide to go there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Z in Grand Prairie, Texas

43 months ago

If you have not enrolled yet into a surgical tech school, DO NOT! Its expensive to attend some of them (never take out a private student loan), very difficult to find a job once you graduate (even if its CAAHEP certified), work hours are bad, the other surg techs and nurses that you will work with have type A personality's. There are plenty of other health care careers to choose from that are far less stressful and rewarding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Happy CST in Euless, Texas

43 months ago

Please feel free to email me at ssneed75235@yahoo.com. I would be more than happy to tell you the best way to go about it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

axgar in Raton, New Mexico

43 months ago

Shellyg in Berwyn, Illinois said: I am a CST thinking of going independent, as in working for hospitals as needed and getting W-2 income. You mentioned running an agency for a time. Do you think this is feasible? I don't want to hire out other techs, just myself.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I have 3.5 years experience, and I am thinking of taking my first travel assignment.
Thanks for your help; I love being a CST!

If your are going to contract with hospitals it can sometimes be difficult. The contract,weither or not its a state hospital,work comp, self imployment tax, liability insurrance,ein numbers the list goes on and on. e mail me i can give you some ideas. axgar@msn.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Happy CST in Cedar Hill, Texas

43 months ago

It's not as bad as you think and I can tell you the best approach for setting up your business and getting contracts. It was very inexpensive considering what I was making per contract and per year. Again please feel free to email me at ssneed75235@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New CST in Bronx, New York

43 months ago

Graduated in Jan of this Year, have called, sent my resume to numerous agencies, hospitals, surgical centers you name it, all over the city and outside the city, other states. Their response is we need experience 2 to 3 or 5 years experience. It seems no one wants recent graduates in this field. The only career that has this type of negative approach to recent graduates. By the Way Z is right most techs and nurses have some kind of territorial thing about their jobs. Specially techs, who have been on the job for a while. I wish any one starting out on this field best of luck... I know I need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kimber1959 in Louisville, Kentucky

42 months ago

I graduated 09/2007 and have never been hired as a CST! no one wants you with no experience. I have taken a job in a hospital doing something totally different and since they promote internal hiring, I will get in the OR that way. Try it folks, it's worth the wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tom cst in Thousand Oaks, California

42 months ago

try a teaching hospital for first time techery jobs- also a spd position is a good way to get started in most hospitas try to go to big hospitas with more then 10 or rooms-- been tech 33 years and still lovin it....good luck....... never give up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Inspires2be a CST in Lubbock, Texas

42 months ago

Wow, You people really know how to put doubt and dissapointment into someone.. I am trying to enroll and will not give up. I'm excited to become a CST its all ive ever wanted to do. I pray I get the best expierence for my career and have a wonderful future with this career choice. by the sound of it you guys seem to just want fast money now...do something else... and dont do anything just for the money or youll be miserable forever. do it because you love it or your just wasting your time and everyone elses that actually wants it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

X in New York, New York

42 months ago

Hmmm, you sound like a cst college instructor or administrator but hey, we are just trying to give you a warning. If you really are a student who is wanting to enroll into a cst program there are plenty of other health care related professions to study. If you look at the job ads its always the same cst jobs that reopen up every 2 or 3 months, sounds strange huh? Thats because there is alot of drama and cliches in the OR room. Almost all cst's and OR nurses have Type A personalities, are territorial and will definitly view you as a potential enemy who will one day try & take their job. Almost all hospitals will not give you a chance unless you have 3 to 5 years experience period anyway. This is a free country and we are just expressing our opinion and you can do what you want. However when you graduate one day from CST school and you cant find a job or you are miserable working at a CST job dont complain to us, we warned you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Inspires2be a CST in Lubbock, Texas

42 months ago

No not a college instructor at all. I guess where you live it sucks for you..no for anyone. There are plenty of jobs down here.. ive researched very hard on this career field. you guys repeat yourselves so much. anyone is gonna treat you bad or think your a threat when you get hired anywhere. trust me drama follows me so anywhere i go there will be some. so why not suck it up and deal with drama when im doing what i love? if you truly loved the field you wouldnt make up excuses or back out of it so easily. failure is on you when you give up not in the career field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

@inspire2be a cst,
Is a beautiful carrer and you should go for what is in your heart. But let me tell you something, is very competitive for CST'S specially new graduates and 90% of times hospitals want between 3and 5 years experience. you wont get rich on this career i am not in it to be a millionaire but because it is something i love todo. just make sure to do a lot of research in your area about the CST job market because it is over saturate with new graduates all over the country in account of the recession and everyone trying to join the health care market be cause it looks secure but the recession also hit health care. good lull and don't let any one persuade you against your dreams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

X in New York, New York

42 months ago

Hey Inspirez2be a CST in Lubbock, Texas I wish you luck. Maybe it is easy to get a CST job in Lubbock especially since its in the middle of know where. I am very happy that I had a opportunity to get back into my old career, it pays more,I work less hours than a CST and the people I work with are much more pleasant than any OR room staff. Oh, by the way, when I travel on business to different cities I meet all kinds of interesting people. Every OR nurse that I have bumped into has told me "You made a good choice going back to your old career. The OR room is a unpleasant work environment with lots of drama." So what if I and some other posters repeat ourselves, we are stating the obvious. You repeat yourself and have not even officially worked in the operating room yet so how can you tell us how good of a profession it is? The only thing you have going in your favor is that Lubbock is desperate for CST's because its in the desolate area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

hi x in ny, what is your line of work now ? sounds interesting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Lakeland, Florida

42 months ago

I really feel for "Z" and all the others who can't find a job, but my exsperience was completly different. I went to a small public technical college in central Florida. The tution was next to nothing, and I got that paid for with a need based grant. The school excepted 11 of us for the year and we visted about 5 different hospitals during our clinicals. Most of us got jobs from the hospitals we where doing our clinicals at before we even graduated. Your clinicals are like a big long job interview. Half way through my course I went to the OR manager of the hospital I wanted to work at, and told them I was interested in working there when I graduated. Right before I graduated I was hired and I started the next day after graduation. I have been at that hospital over a year now, along with 5 other people from my class. Maybe I was just lucky, or my area of the country is in more need of scrub techs? From what I have read your write "Z" you are a very negative person, and I believe that is why you did not make it as a scrub tech, and why your trying to discourage others from this great career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Plano, Texas

42 months ago

Jay I think you need to drink more coffee in the morning and wake up because you obviously did not read my recent posts. I DO HAVE A JOB IN THE HEALTH CARE FIELD RIGHT NOW (MY OLD CAREER) THAT PAYS MORE THAN A CST JOB AND IS IN A MUCH MORE PLEASANT WORK ENVIRONMENT. I would entertain a CST job offer in the future but only under certain circumstances that fits my criteria. In the meantime I am perfectly happy with my current job. This is a free country and I am allowed to state my opinion. A potential CST student can read my comments and the others that agree me and do what they want with our information. I'm glad that you found a CST job that has a good work environment and wish you luck but in my opinion you are statistically a rare exception!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Shellyg54 in Dearborn, Michigan

42 months ago

If you want to be a surgical technologist, just do it. There are problems with the economy, but if you are willing to be the best and maybe move, you can get a job. If you don't believe in yourself, don't do this. Don't do anything! There are many CST's who are working and like what they do. No JOB is perfect, but I have had over 30 jobs (yes, I said 30+ real jobs).
This one ain't half bad, and the pay is decent. That is my opinion. 2007 graduate...Stop dogging my profession!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

amarie

41 months ago

Z in Plano, Texas said: Jay I think you need to drink more coffee in the morning and wake up because you obviously did not read my recent posts. I DO HAVE A JOB IN THE HEALTH CARE FIELD RIGHT NOW (MY OLD CAREER) THAT PAYS MORE THAN A CST JOB AND IS IN A MUCH MORE PLEASANT WORK ENVIRONMENT. I would entertain a CST job offer in the future but only under certain circumstances that fits my criteria. In the meantime I am perfectly happy with my current job. This is a free country and I am allowed to state my opinion. A potential CST student can read my comments and the others that agree me and do what they want with our information. I'm glad that you found a CST job that has a good work environment and wish you luck but in my opinion you are statistically a rare exception!

what is your "old career" that pays so well? just curious because maybe I'd like to do that instead of cst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

X in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

Needle EMG Technician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.