What's the difference between Surgical Technician and Surgical Technologist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Leslie in Pompano Beach, Florida

79 months ago

Is it the same thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sonya in Augusta, Georgia

57 months ago

Leslie in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Is it the same thing?

same thing. surgical technologist just sounds more professional than surgical technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

cp in Buffalo, New York

41 months ago

that is wrong. A surgical technologist has a 2 yr degree (A.A.S.)
and a surgical technician has gone through an accelerated program, usually about 9-10 months. Both are qualified, but employers have most recently leaned towards persons holding a degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lakeland, Florida

36 months ago

CP in Buffalo is wrong. I am a Surgical Technologist... I do not have a degree. However, after attending a 16 month program at an accredited school, I was able to sit for the Certified Surgical Technologist exam. I passed, therefore I became a Surgical Technologist. Until one passes this exam after attending the accredited program, one is considered a Surgical Technician.
While both are indeed qualified, some hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers require you to be certified in order to work. Others will hire you, BUT you must pass the exam within 6 months of being hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Prestonsburg, Kentucky

32 months ago

I really appreciate this comment. I was thinking of going into this feild.... now i know this is what I want, Thankyou..QUOTE who="Jennifer in Lakeland, Florida"]CP in Buffalo is wrong. I am a Surgical Technologist... I do not have a degree. However, after attending a 16 month program at an accredited school, I was able to sit for the Certified Surgical Technologist exam. I passed, therefore I became a Surgical Technologist. Until one passes this exam after attending the accredited program, one is considered a Surgical Technician.
While both are indeed qualified, some hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers require you to be certified in order to work. Others will hire you, BUT you must pass the exam within 6 months of being hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doc in Virginia Beach, Virginia

28 months ago

Well I can officially say that you DO NOT have to pass the CST exam to become a surgical technologist. I have never taken the CST exam, and have been designated a surgical technologist since I graduated ST school. Check your facts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doc in Virginia Beach, Virginia

28 months ago

You do, however, have to take and pass the CST exam to become a Certified Surgical Technologist...which by the way is what CST stands for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jomel in Manila, Philippines

28 months ago

Hi anyone Im a Medical Laboratory technologist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doc in Seattle, Washington

9 months ago

Doc in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: Well I can officially say that you DO NOT have to pass the CST exam to become a surgical technologist. I have never taken the CST exam, and have been designated a surgical technologist since I graduated ST school. Check your facts!

Good luck getting a job or holding onto your ST job without being certified at a reputable hospital. Most hospitals require you to be a CST certified and the legislation is changing thanks to the A ST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.