what should i do.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

nursewannabe in Columbia, South Carolina

40 months ago

Hello all. I live in SC and Im taking required classes and waiting to get into the nursing program at my school.There is at least a two year waiting list. Until then i want to either become a cna or surgical tech because i will need to continue working even if its part time while in nursing school. Which in your opinion is a better job option for me. I'm a dental assistant right now but i want to get out of that field in part because the hours are not condusive with my educational needs. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Gaffney, South Carolina

40 months ago

Right now, i'm in my clinical stage of the Surgical Technology program, and I can tell you that it is a tough field. It's high stress, fast paced, and includes a lot of "winging it" and quick thinking. My first day of class, I cried because of all the information and homework we were given, and on my first day of clinical I cried all the way home because my whole day was super stressful. Mostly because I was chosen to be in a level 1 trauma center my first week that has 18 operating rooms. I have asked myself on many occasions if it is the right career path for me, but at my school, the Surg. Tech. curriculum is very similar to the nursing one. If you are just wanting a degree so you can have a job until you become a nurse, then I would choose to be a CNA. That curriculum is easier, shorter, and pertains more to the nursing field. Surgical Techs tend to stay away from one on one patient care outside of the operating room, and nurses talk to and deal with the patient when they are not under anesthesia as well as in the operating room. It all depends on how much human interaction you want. But if you are eventually going into nursing, then CNA would be more for you. It may sound like I do not like the career path i'm taking, but I enjoy it. Reguardless of all of the hard days, long hours, and yelling surgeons. Good luck with whatever you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Inman, South Carolina

40 months ago

Ashley in Gaffney, South Carolina said: Right now, i'm in my clinical stage of the Surgical Technology program, and I can tell you that it is a tough field. It's high stress, fast paced, and includes a lot of "winging it" and quick thinking. My first day of class, I cried because of all the information and homework we were given, and on my first day of clinical I cried all the way home because my whole day was super stressful. Mostly because I was chosen to be in a level 1 trauma center my first week that has 18 operating rooms. I have asked myself on many occasions if it is the right career path for me, but at my school, the Surg. Tech. curriculum is very similar to the nursing one. If you are just wanting a degree so you can have a job until you become a nurse , then I would choose to be a CNA. That curriculum is easier, shorter, and pertains more to the nursing field. Surgical Techs tend to stay away from one on one patient care outside of the operating room, and nurses talk to and deal with the patient when they are not under anesthesia as well as in the operating room. It all depends on how much human interaction you want. But if you are eventually going into nursing, then CNA would be more for you. It may sound like I do not like the career path i'm taking, but I enjoy it. Reguardless of all of the hard days, long hours, and yelling surgeons. Good luck with whatever you do.

I can understand your problem completely. I did not get into the Radiography program, so I am kind of deciding what to do while waiting to reapply next year. I have until tomorrow to decide whether I will try to get into the Surgical Tech program. I am more than half way done with the Medical Administration Degree, but I have been interested in the surgery aspect of things also. I have to switch my major either way, but I have to pick classes by March 27. I won't even know if I can take the PSB test until April 30th much less know if I can get in. They only pick 10 people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rn student in Houston, Texas

40 months ago

Move.. if you are serious about becoming a nurse move to another town/city. I have lots of friends that moved out of town or state and came back in 2 years with their degree. If you can do that. i would advise you to do the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cianelle in Rock Hill, South Carolina

39 months ago

I am basically doing what you are doing. Taking Surg Tech classes while I am waiting on the nursing list. I am also a CNA and the pay is horrible!! It is a lot of work for about $8.50 an hour. Choose something besides CNA. You can make more money being a server or cashier or something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.