I'm starting Surgical tech classes this fall but I'm worried if its the right career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Krystle in Raleigh, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hi everyone
I'm starting the Surg tech program this year at Wake tech and I'm worried because its more of a second choice career and not my main one. Another concern is once I finish and get on my feet would it be a sort of lateral movement or stepping stone to go after my main choice as a cardiovascular tech(invasive) or are they similar enough I should forget it? I've done extensive research on both everything from basic curriculum to nature of the work, pay, skills needed/demands experiences and so on. I've read through alot of forums like this one just to try to get a sense of what this is really on people in the same situation or otherwise but the feedback(more negative)is so mixed I don't know what to believe. People complain that they aren't payed enough for the work, that if you're pursuing it its a flat out waste of time & money, that its difficult even with graduating and being certified you can't get a job out of school everyone wants that golden "2-5yrs experience" etc...I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.I'm in a gray area currently, a few months away from 21 with a constantly shifting direction up until now. Graduated highschool average student had good grades but unlike my peers I didn't have a track right out the gate I mean I did (art school-storyboard/2d art) but somehow I just did a 360 & fell off my path at the worst possible time in life so I muddled around worked some,took classes for 1 1/2yr studying graphic design cause it was the closest thing that played to what I knew/my strengths I could find with a degree but wound up hating it.(Just a little history to give you an idea) So I literally sat down and asked myself "what else am I good at" then it hit me,I loved sciences,I always excelled in health,anatomy was easy etc.. = medical field and here I am excited & eager finally set on something so its disheartening hearing all the cons,any advice on what classes are like or infield experience or anything really is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jami in Sioux City, Iowa

30 months ago

Ok, I came here asking for advice too. I guess we're in the same situation more or less. I've looked at other forums and read people's experiences and complains. The cons and pros and almost everything. I barely turn 20 last month and I think its about time I study for something. I job shadow surgical tech in my senior year and I like it. It caught my attention but all this time I've wonder if I really can make it. Now I have until the end of march to sign up for the fall program and I dont know what to do. It's only a 9 month certificate program and it's accrediated by CAAHEP. But my greatest fear is not making it. Like dropping out of the program halfway or not finding a job when I completed the program or not liking the program at all. I mean I can barely feed myself so money is a big issue for me right now. And I really am lost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.