Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing system administrator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

LSUMarkb in Grandview, Missouri

46 months ago

Usually you would need a BS at least. In fact, I am considering getting my masters instead of certificates. Maybe find a smaller shop where you can pick up a lot of different skills. Most sys admin jobs I see are bachelors plus 3 years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kyle in Nashua, New Hampshire

40 months ago

I tend to disagree with LSUMarkb, but I'm a bit bias. I've been a sys admin for 3 years or so and I don't even have a high school diploma. I spent a lot of time training myself while working in tech support and getting many certifications. It's about finding the right company to work for that shares your values and values your skills.

That being said, a BS in something hands-on and useful certainly doesn't hurt!

As far as getting your start I can only tell you what I did. I started out in tech support at a small company which also had a growing IT department. I made it clear I was interested in systems administration and engineering. I helped out with various web development projects, making tools to help people. As I learned PHP and Linux command line, I was assigned various clean-up tasks on some of the systems. After a good hard year of this continuing I was offered a position as a Jr. Linux Systems Administrator, which is when I started to realize how little I actually knew. That's when it started getting really fun. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.