Tax Preparer Wage

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Roger in Tulsa, Oklahoma

48 months ago

So, what would be an average wage that a tax preparer with a couple years experience (H&R Block) should expect at a new job? I've been thinking about testing the waters a little (as opposed to going back to Block), but have no idea what a decent wage is. This isn't a high cost of living area. I've seen a couple of adds last year offering $20/hr, but didn't follow up on them. I've got an Accounting degree and have an EA. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patryce2010 in Orlando, Florida

48 months ago

Roger, I've worked with JacksonHewitts for 6 years. After that I went to another company that paid me per hour (which wasn't that great and I have a BA of Accouting) it wasn't near as much that I'm making now by working on my own. Most tax programs were costly plus they took a percentage of your fees but I found a company that only charges around $200 for the program and you get 100% of the prep fees that you charge to your clients. Check them out the company is called "EZTaxRefund$" and they've been posting in this forum and I saw their page on facebook.

Here's a link where the company has been posting on indeed.

www.indeed.com/forum/job/tax-preparer/First-Year-Tax-Preparation/t312359

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BrittGills in Cleveland, Ohio

47 months ago

I am taking the online Tax prepare class for Jackson Hewitt myself. This is my first time doing this. I only paid $39.00 for it. I was wondering since you said you work there, how much average were you making if you don't mind me asking. The lady that enrolled me told me I will be getting paid hourly plus commission. This will only be a second job for me to make extra money and gain experience because I myself is in school to get my BA in Accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

Your salary give or take will be $9.00 per hours plus 2 per cent commission.

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in San Marcos, California

31 months ago

Wow taxguy, that is impressive. I am new to tax preparing and just started a website to get some leads. I am working on becoming an enrolled agent. I would love to get as good as 2 returns an hour. I am in a very competitive area (Southern California) any tips on how to beat business from H&R Block and big franchises?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tc in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26 months ago

[Please tell me which tax software you are using.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rjm in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

taxguy in Lisle, Illinois said: I have a degree, not in accounting , but have grown up around tax preparers all my life. I do arount 1700 returns in 12 weeks. base salary 60k plus 20% commission. I make about 140k annually. I also do 2 returns an hour. 27 years old and 11 seasons under my belt though.

Father,sister,and myself do a little over 4900 returns and 450 corporate returns.

Would like to find out more. What are you looking to do? Hire someone? or be hired?
I'm in Naperville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

banchy74775@hotmail.com in Boston, Massachusetts

24 months ago

taxguy in Lisle, Illinois said: I have a degree, not in accounting , but have grown up around tax preparers all my life. I do arount 1700 returns in 12 weeks. base salary 60k plus 20% commission. I make about 140k annually. I also do 2 returns an hour. 27 years old and 11 seasons under my belt though.

Father,sister,and myself do a little over 4900 returns and 450 corporate returns.

Hi my names is Ivan I have over 10 years of expiriencie I am planning to start my own pratice any good tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California

23 months ago

I was wondering, I'm thinking about taking a tax class to work as an entry level tax preparer for H & R block. I have found that prices for these CTEC ( in california u need to be certified) classes vary from $400 for HR Block to $179 online for Jackson Hewitt. My question is does anyone know if I took the class at Jackson could and would I be able to get work at H&R? Reason I'm asking is that H&R is about 1mile from where I live but Jackson is about 5miles away. If anyone could answer this, I would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Simone in Conyers, Georgia

22 months ago

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California said: I was wondering, I'm thinking about taking a tax class to work as an entry level tax preparer for H & R block. I have found that prices for these CTEC ( in california u need to be certified) classes vary from $400 for HR Block to $179 online for Jackson Hewitt. My question is does anyone know if I took the class at Jackson could and would I be able to get work at H&R? Reason I'm asking is that H&R is about 1mile from where I live but Jackson is about 5miles away. If anyone could answer this, I would really appreciate it.

Let me know if you hear anything! I have the fast forward academy book but i want to HEAR someone talk to fully understand some concepts! 2eztaxprep@gmail.com (i'm not trying to sell anything like some other posters! I actually need some feedback/input/help!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.