Getting a telecommunications technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing telecommunications technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

shakawatmoni in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

How I can get a telecommunication technician job with paid training. I have basic knowledge on Computer & networking.
Does some one help me to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lance in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing telecommunications technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Hi,

I got in via DeVry Associate degree. Or that is how I started. I am not in telco right now. The industry has taken a huge hit since the telecom bust of '99-00 and I haven't been in since then. I, like many others were in during the great boom/build out. Pre-99 Telecom cos along with cable companies were over-building capacity in fiber. We were laying glass everywhere. This was due to the Internet.

Now, there are a ton of people wanting to get back in if they can. It's tough. It's mostly via knowing somebody.
YOU...happen to be in, probably, the best place to be for Telco. I used to live/train there. There are many manufacturers of equip there. Also, your usual RBOCs and Long-line (MCI, ATT etc...) have a large presence due to geographic placement (largest city in middle of country).

Having a degree, 2 year in my case, helps. Yet, as above, it's now more of whom you know. I had a couple of dozen contacts. Now, they're in the wind. Short of hiring a PI, I can't find anyone. You can even get various certifications to get in the door. Prob is, w/ certs they look to experience w/ it. This, again, is where knowing someone helps tremendously.

The demand is high because it's a decent paying job that is pretty cushy. Good benefits. The companies make so much money they have to find things to spend it on for tax reasons. Though, not as much at this moment.

My recommendations? Know what you like/want. Meaning: do you want to work outside? Good w/ your hands? Are you capable of looking at a computer screen all day w/o going nuts? Etc,.

I might be able to point you in a more specific direction if you tell me what about telco you like/appeals to you.

Ler me know

spanky in Hazlehurst, Georgia

60 months ago

Thinking of applying for managent to cable company in north ga. would be over 30 techs and all responsiblity that is the order.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.